• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

Wait so the Manga does end in around 60 Chapters, is this true?

My guess is no, but that is 16 months from now.

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Man that scene where the mega titan rears up and then sprints to crush the Wall after the soldiers were having a debate on whether to close it or not was epic as hell. Just showed the futility of their endeavors... damned if they do, damned if they don't. It was a truly "shit has hit the fan" moment.

CLrrwXK.gif

Chake

Banned
My friends are telling me that the story will turn great without any ass-polling crap we have seen in recent anime. Can anyone confirm this? Because they also believed Mirai Nikki had a great story.

Kurita

My friends are telling me that the story will turn great without any ass-polling crap we have seen in recent anime. Can anyone confirm this? Because they also believed Mirai Nikki had a great story.

Recent developments really got mixed reactions. Some love what's happening (I do), others don't.

I'm just going to go with my Magi theory again. Season 1 will cover 30+ chapters. The next season will start in April 2014, and cover another 30+ chapters. The manga ends in 60ish chapters.

Although 2ch has a... very different theory. One I have never heard of anywhere before and just sounds crazy. Lol.
There's this weird discussion going on about how the story in Shingeki is some sort of loop cycle and somehow the same thing happens over and over again (which is why Eren's has a dream at the start of ep1 seeing things which have not happened yet) and at the end of the anime they'll hit a BAD END, and then loop right into the start again... the start of the manga. And the manga story will lead to the TRUE END where they break the cycle.
Wut?

Wow this one is a good one ...
Crazy theory but nice one ...
Sure you didn't mistake those for mayouu spoilers ?

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 2

My original impressions of this episode were fairly positive. Or where they? I can't even remember. Either way, upon closer inspection this episode has quite a serious problem with conveying both geography and the passage of time.

Specifically, towards the later half of the episode, scenes which supposedly take place years months or even years after each other all look like they happened in the span of the same day. There's no sense that anything has happened in between the various cuts and the characters all look the same between the different timeskips (for the most part). I know that the manga didn't do this very well either but that's no excuse! Having the narration tell the audience that time has passed doesn't magically make me feel like time has passed if the visuals aren't doing a convincing job of demonstrating that.

In terms of geography, I suppose this is linked to the passage of time. I have no idea
how far away these outskirts are from the next set of walls, or how long it takes to get between these locations, or how long our characters have been travelling. It really could have used a mini-travel montage with time passing because without it
the problem mentioned above is just further reinforced.

It may sound like a minor complaint, but because I don't know how long things have taken or even what's happened inbetween these scenes I can't tell what's going on with that weird sequence featuring Eren's dad, as I've mentioned before.

Apart from that I don't think the above issue is that major, but it just added to the confusion regarding the scene mentioned above.

abic

Banned
I just reread the entire manga series while on the plane and while I understand some of the criticisms I saw here directed to the series, Attack on Titan is still plain outstanding.

Can't wait to see what happens

ultron87

Episode 2 was enjoyable.

Ep 2 Spoilers:
Sending 250,000 people to their deaths on a hopeless mission is pretty bleak.

I'm glad we're out of the prologue now and want to start seeing that wire-fu that the opening has promised me.

Ultimadrago

Shingeki no Kyojin 2

This episode was also entertaining (
Deserved punch
most definitely included). However, why didn't they invest in deep underground shelters or bunkers? Sure, they'd be trapped rats, but the giants don't seem all that observant.

Fantomex

So total newb question. I'm trying to research watching this with subs but can't find an answer. Am I totally missing this on the funimation site?

Velti

Neo Member
I'm am intrigued up the wazoo! So many unanswered questions...

What ARE they, really? Where did they come from and why? Some of the bigger ones have some kind of mechanical element, so they've got to be artificial. So someone wants to exterminate mankind and went the biomechanical route. They've got a high degree of technology and extreme access to resources, there's probably a huge facility where these things are being manufactured. The why is probably something boring, like mankind deserving to die for harming the Earth/Wherever or some BS, or these folks just want the planet for themselves.

Now I'm bored. I want some wire-fu.

tumblr_ml9kjssAM01qm32cno1_250.jpg

I guess the best result of the episode. Anyway, I think I largely felt like the episode could have been better and not really liking the direction it seems like it is trying to go. Its almost as if they are trying to pain Mikasa as some strong character while having Eren and even Armin be weak of sorts. Further than that, I hope I am wrong, but I bet theyll even have Eren constantly fail missions and stuff. I like his personality and what not as it is definitely the breath of fresh air needed in this anime that seems like it may just stay consistently and constantly depressing. These two episodes so far made me miss what I like most in my lead characters, everyone is all scared and what not and lack any sort of heart or whatever. Where are characters filled with courage, undying determination, and strength to tackle and and every task thrown at them, the true go getter's in life? If it had that, maybe if Eren embraces those ideas and maybe gets some close rival/partner character, then I think I will finally warm up to this anime as a whole and that it would also improve considerably.

I think someone did touch up something earlier that does seem to make the anime a bit odd to follow. They dont really do much of a good job in establishing the locations or the distances. The middle of the episode tries to help and then the Wall Maria but where in Wall Maria was it breached, we have the jutted shaped U portion connecting to another wall there (did they breach both the outer and inner portion of this segment?), but then what is the distance between these two parts and then further Wall Rose (100km is it supposed to be?) but how fast do people get there? And for that altercation
where were these 250000 people? going to attack to recover it?

The beginning segment is odd to and kind of a weak premise. ~100 years ago Thousands of Titans just "somehow" appeared and nearly extinguished the human race and somehow they had enough time to build, without the aid of modern tools these huge stone walls? (the titans didnt attack in the process?).

-
Plot
The day portion dream and injection is most compelling, I wonder what is he even researching and why he'd put his own son there. And the key, what is it? Am hooked to find out over time. And further Eren being inspired by the commanders honesty towards being scared and then upon the breach being inspired to want to make a change against all these titans, great progress
Eren Armin moment is most memorable and was mindblown at the titan,
these things have to be synthetic? no way they are actually humans or whatever, the team and the metallic sound?

Im a bit confused.
I thought there was only one walled human city but there are many across the world?

And onto episode 2-

In the past 100 years why were the humans not trying to develop better weapons and technology?

No wonder they can't stop Titans with crappy old fashion cannons.

What if the Titans aren't evil, they just have giant holes in their bodies and by eating humans they can fill themselves with the love and warmth of a human, of course that means the human dies and they have to find another, but, hey that's progress! What do you guys think? I think that's the best scenario.

How could something so cute be so cruel? Titans are so moe, you just wanna hug'em and say "it's alrite".

Im a bit confused.
I thought there was only one walled human city but there are many across the world?

There are 3 walls, 2 of which are inner and 1 outer. They encompass one very large area, big enough for the remainder of humanity.

As of episode 2,
1 of the walls has fallen.

Cloudy

Banned
Ep 2 was fantastic. Love the music playing at the 2nd to last scene. Too bad the manga art is so ugly, I want more now!

ps: <3 grown up Mikasa

RangerBAD

Ep 2 was fantastic. Love the music playing at the 2nd to last scene. Too bad the manga art is so ugly, I want more now!

The wiki claims she and Eren are 12 at that point. I don't feel like it's accurate, but who knows.

Well, it's kind of the hook behind the series... What is behind the wall? do other humans exist? Why do the titans exist?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were other settlements.

If you remember from the first episode, they send men outside the wall to learn about the Titans and possible weaknesses, but they never seem to get far (based on dialogue).

RangerBAD

nah, we're at 44 and they still haven't revealed anything too important storywise about the titans
100+ would be my guess, maybe somewhere between 100-120ish chapters

Probably the length of a typical seinen manga (even though this is shounen). Like 12 or so volumes.

Yeah the manga art is tough to take. Worth it though.

Also the OP theme for the anime is fucking amazing. Gets me erect right away.

How do you think us modern day humans would go fighting Titans?

Surely tanks, missiles, helicopters, heavy machine guns etc.... would take them down pretty easy right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom