• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj167

Is it possible to get someone other than Erwin Smith

Why would you want to?

erwin_smith_dakimakura_by_brilcrist-d6tobqb.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Erwin Smith is everyone's soulmate - he's just THAT badass.

To be fair, Erwin is pretty damn awesome.

Panzon

I went on a whim and decided to watch the first episode of this show and HOLY SHIT!!!
I had no clue what this show was about so I'm thinking that made the episode feel so epic. Heard everyone talk about this all last year but didn't pay mind due to all the shows I'm currently watching now but man, it looks like I'm gonna have a busy week catching up with this.

Please tell me the rest of the season is gonna help me maintain these feelings of awesome, excitement and tension. PLEASE!

I went on a whim and decided to watch the first episode of this show and HOLY SHIT!!!
I had no clue what this show was about so I'm thinking that made the episode feel so epic. Heard everyone talk about this all last year but didn't pay mind due to all the shows I'm currently watching now but man, it looks like I'm gonna have a busy week catching up with this.

Please tell me the rest of the season is gonna help me maintain these feelings of awesome, excitement and tension. PLEASE!

first few episodes are good, middle portion of the slow suffers from bad pacing and I barely remember it, last arc is great.

I love this show. And I love the manga. Been a very long time since an anime has captured me like this. Gave the show a chance on a recommendation from a friend and now I'm hooked. Great animation, great soundtrack (the first one anyways), interesting plot, there's a lot going for it. Kinda annoyed at the slow pace which the story comes out, which is going to hold up the anime for a while. But all in all, I'm in.

Going to give Hunter X Hunter a chance next, based from this thread.

Panzon

Welp, this is either a bad dream or some kind of troll? I'm on episode 7 and all i can say is I hope I'm just being mind fucked and this shit didn't actually happen

Did Eren really fucking die!?

BadWolf

It has no fillers what-so-ever, which is really nice. Opinion on the pacing varies, although I think everyone would agree it's great early on.

Are the first episodes indicative of how the show is overall or does it get better?

I have seen about 11 or 12 episodes of the new HXH and found them to be nothing special.

Nibel

Are the first episodes indicative of how the show is overall or does it get better?

I have seen about 11 or 12 episodes of the new HXH and found them to be nothing special.

First two arcs (about 20-25 episodes?) are "Look how I can easily keep up with all the other shonen animes"

All episodes after those first two arcs are "Look how I'm the best shounen anime out there"

It's a series that evolves and if you like Titan: keep watching

BadWolf

First two arcs (about 20-25 episodes?) are "Look how I can easily keep up with all the other shonen animes"

All episodes after those first two arcs are "Look how I'm the best shounen anime out there"

It's a series that evolves and if you like Titan: keep watching

Thanks, will stick to it :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

In my opinion, it starts off as merely pretty good, peaks at absolutely amazing for York Shin City, drops back down to pretty good for Greed Island, and then collapses in Chimera Ant arc to 'meh'. Others will tell you differently.

In my opinion, it starts off as merely pretty good, peaks at absolutely amazing for York Shin City, drops back down to pretty good for Greed Island, and then collapses in Chimera Ant arc to 'meh'. Others will tell you differently.

Generally agree except for the current Ant arc. It is pretty freaking amazing awesome and entertaining and the opposite of meh. Imo of course.

belushy

Banned

Yorkshin is a must watch arc for anime fans in my opinion. The arcs before and after that are decent. Just keep going, it gets better.

edit: Here are how I rank the arcs in HxH and obviously this is just my opinion. Yorkshin > Ant > Heavens Arena = Greed Island > Hunter Exam >>> Zoldyck

You'll have to sit through Hunter Exam (which isn't a bad thing at all) and Zoldyck (the only "meh" arc in the series; luckily it is very short) and then you'll get to Heavens Arena which is where it starts to pick up, for me at least.

I finished the first series a little while ago and would echo many opinions in this thread: holy fucking Christ that was a ride.

Dropping this after three episodes was a huge mistake on my part (although I did watch Welcome to the NHK in the meanwhile which was more than worth my time). Which brings me to my next decision: HxH or Space Brothers next?

dan2026

Yes, I like your thinking.

I've watched the first few episodes of both and wasn't too taken with HxH, but given my track record for jumping the gun and the info above, I'll persist.

Space brothers on the other hand seems right up my street.

Trust me stick with Hunter x Hunter.

Its considered one of the best for a reason.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just started watching this on Netflix. I went in TOTALLY blind, for some reason I just assumed "Attack on Titan" meant this would be a space opera about the MOON Titan. Imagine my surprise when giant skinned demons(?) show up in some medieval town and start EATING PEOPLE! WTF?!? Not a big fan of all the angsty moments (though I admit they are earned) but 4-5 eps in and I'm hooked. Spent all last night dreaming about ways to take down titans :)

belushy

Banned
Just started watching this on Netflix. I went in TOTALLY blind, for some reason I just assumed "Attack on Titan" meant this would be a space opera about the MOON Titan. Imagine my surprise when giant skinned demons(?) show up in some medieval town and start EATING PEOPLE! WTF?!? Not a big fan of all the angsty moments (though I admit they are earned) but 4-5 eps in and I'm hooked. Spent all last night dreaming about ways to take down titans :)

If you are watching on Netflix, be careful. People are saying that two episodes are swapped in place for some reason. Apparently episodes 23 and 24 are switched, but they could have been fixed by now.

So completely caught up this weekend on the Anime, then the manga.

Main thing I can't figure out is the fucking wall.

Some serious conspiracy shit going down. Why are the titans inside facing inwards? Why is there a cult keeping their origin a secret? And mainly, on the last two episodes why was there that extremely creepy bumper about the miner digging under it?

I read up to the current chapter and there is nothing but more questions!!

So I just got done watching this on Netflix. I'm not a big anime guy and rarely watch it, but I decided to give it a shot. It was really great looking, and the Titans were downright creepy. But please tell me there is going to be another season or something? This is like Lost, all questions and no answers! I mean talk about leaving alot of plot threads untied. High School Of The Dead was the last anime I watched, and I had the same problem with that, but at least it wasn't as bad.

Also, is it just me or is the only way someone can communicate in an anime is by screaming what they are trying to say to each other? Also why does every character spend crucial time on introspection during critical need to act now moments? A moment that takes no more than a few seconds get dragged out to almost an entire episode as characters examine choices they made or will make? A lot of times I'm just want the story to move on already.

So I just got done watching this on Netflix. I'm not a big anime guy and rarely watch it, but I decided to give it a shot. It was really great looking, and the Titans were downright creepy. But please tell me there is going to be another season or something? This is like Lost, all questions and no answers! I mean talk about leaving alot of plot threads untied. High School Of The Dead was the last anime I watched, and I had the same problem with that, but at least it wasn't as bad.

Also, is it just me or is the only way someone can communicate in an anime is by screaming what they are trying to say to each other? Also why does every character spend crucial time on introspection during critical need to act now moments? A moment that takes no more than a few seconds get dragged out to almost an entire episode as characters examine choices they made or will make? A lot of times I'm just want the story to move on already.

they probably prolong the episode to match a 20-25 eps a season quota that most anime series follow.

Next is that they also have to follow the manga, which isn't very far ahead. Yes there will be a season 2 but not until the manga has enough material to make up a season 2.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

lol, yeah, I just finished watching it on Netflix too and I'm really tired of this shit in anime. Really takes away from the enjoyment. I thought it was alright I guess in the end.

Also, the horses in this show must be gods or something. lol

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah the screaming was weird, but there was only one moment where it truly annoyed me,
when Armin tries to save Eren and Mikasa and explains to the scared captain that Eren is human
. He was just yelling from the top of his lungs for 5 minutes, I was so confused the whole time. Why is he yelling? Then the captain starts yelling back and I got even more confused. Why is everyone yelling? So I basically pulled a Kramer and started yelling too.

5PYTRvO.gif

I have people in my family who've gone to war and even though they knew what they were getting into, being faced with the reality of the horrible things around them was far worse than they could have imagined.

Add the fact that they're fighting truly terrifying enemies that will eat you alive, plus that they're barely teenagers and they're reactions are actually very realistic.

Yeah the screaming was weird, but there was only one moment where it truly annoyed me,
when Armin tries to save Eren and Mikasa and explains to the scared captain that Eren is human
. He was just yelling from the top of his lungs for 5 minutes, I was so confused the whole time. Why is he yelling? Then the captain starts yelling back and I got even more confused. Why is everyone yelling? So I basically pulled a Kramer and started yelling too.

Because a fucking cannon had just been fired? Shit's loud man. Plus they were pretty far from each other.

FluxWaveZ

I'm aware of excessive "dramatic anime yelling" more often than not, but I can't say that that's something that stood out to me in this series. The introspection was definitely there, though, but I liked a lot of those scenes, even if it meant that action stood still for those moments.

I liked it. The ridiculous parts are when they're having inner conflict Hamlet moments while all kinds of shit are happening around them. "Come on! We have to go! Stop your chin-rubbing!"

Also what's up with the terrible translation of Shingeki No Kyojin? It should be Attack of the Titan, or The Attacking Titan.

I finished watching this show yesterday.

Overall, I liked it, but there are several faults that irked me. As mentioned by other people, the pacing should have been better. There were a lot of scenes and episodes that felt artificially stretched in order to give the season 25 episodes, when 16 or 17 would have been beneficial. They did that by not only adding irrelevent or uninteresting content, but by adding tons of bullshit introspection moments or monologues explaining behavior and other pretentious nonsense.

Another thing that really bummed me out, and almost made me stop watching the show, was Eren coming back as a Titan, and the revelation that humans can transform into (or, *ahem*, "pilot") titans. This was such a bummer for me. I loved every episode before that point. The show had established a very bleak world full of despair and hopelessness. Titans were a frightening force. Humans had the capacity to kill them, but in no small feat and at great cost. But when Eren came back as a Titan, the show completely lost its atmosphere and identity. It had essentially morphed itself into yet another giant robot anime, with the mechs being reskinned as giant humans. Even Titan Eren's scream and behavior is taken straight out of Evangelion.

Having humans transform into titans has two negative consequences for the show. The first one, as I've mentioned, is that it makes the show lose its early atmosphere of bleakness and hopelessness. It does that because the human camp suddenly gain vast amounts of power. They are now stronger than the titans, as Eren keeps his intelligence (somewhat) and is definitely smarter than most other dumb giants. You know how games such as Amnesia and Slender are terrifying, how they make the player powerless in order to strike fear in him ? Well, the same concept applies here. Early on, humans were weak. They had a fighting chance, but they were weak. And it really was terrifying seeing titans walk about the towns and devour people. By empowering the humans to such an extent, the titans lost their scare.

The other negative consequence is that by having human-titans enemies, the titans lose their animalistic attributes. Standard titans act on instinct. They don't have intelligence or reasoning capabilities. This makes them ruthless and makes them scarier. But by having a human-titan who can use and lead them, to some extent, they lose part of their animal/zombie side and could become predictable. It makes them less scary.

I guess it all comes down to this. The show lost its atmosphere were morphed its identity by going down the plot path of "hey, humans can tranform into titans ! Cool, right ?" No, not really. I still liked the show, but I can't help but imagine what it could have been had it decided to avoid going down the beaten path.

Panzon

Just finished watching and will just echo what everyone said about the pacing. I didnt like Eren coming back as a Titan at firat but I suppose thats the only way the human race has any sort of chance. I'm gonna start reading the manga and see where this goes before I give the anime another chance.

I think it's very obvious who the armored Titan is btw

So I just finished watching this show and I have but one question, can someone explain to me what was the point of the last scouting mission outside the walls? was it just training? trying to reach Eren's house? I am asking this because, despite the surprise apparition of the Female titan, the (squad leader) scouts acted like they were already expecting her to appear, and had laid a trap for her in advance, was that ever explained in a previous episode that I missed?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After hearing so many rave reviews about this, I finally started watching it on Netflix last night.

Amazing premise, but I could only make it through two and a half episodes before having to stop. The reason being that the characters were either screaming at each other at the top of their lungs or crying and whining extremely loudly non-stop. And I do mean non-stop. It actually went beyond annoying and actually stressed me out so much I just couldn't deal any more.

Yeah yeah, I know, that's the way anime is... but does this continue throughout the whole series, or is it just in the first few episodes?

Erigu

So I just finished watching this show and I have but one question, can someone explain to me what was the point of the last scouting mission outside the walls? was it just training? trying to reach Eren's house? I am asking this because, despite the surprise apparition of the Female titan, the (squad leader) scouts acted like they were already expecting her to appear, and had laid a trap for her in advance, was that ever explained in a previous episode that I missed?
After the two titans they had captured got killed, he suspected there were enemies in their ranks. Since the colossal titan and the armored titan both appeared to be intelligent and now that Eren proved a human being could (somehow??) turn into a titan, he had to consider the possibility there were others like him working against them from the inside. And clearly, they'd want to get rid of Eren, so such a mission would be a good opportunity to them. Hence the fake-out regarding Eren's actual location in the formation and that trap in the woods. Capturing the spy/spies was the primary objective.

After the two titans they had captured got killed, he suspected there were enemies in their ranks. Since the colossal titan and the armored titan both appeared to be intelligent and now that Eren proved a human being could (somehow??) turn into a titan, he had to consider the possibility there were others like him working against them from the inside. And clearly, they'd want to get rid of Eren, so such a mission would be a good opportunity to them. Hence the fake-out regarding Eren's actual location in the formation and that trap in the woods. Capturing the spy/spies was the primary objective.

Everything makes sense now, thanks

Mononoke

Banned
Just finished watching and will just echo what everyone said about the pacing. I didnt like Eren coming back as a Titan at firat but I suppose thats the only way the human race has any sort of chance. I'm gonna start reading the manga and see where this goes before I give the anime another chance.

I think it's very obvious who the armored Titan is btw

I made some lengthy posts in the Anime Season thread (didn't realize there was an OT for this show), but I recently watched all the Anime and read all the Manga. Obviously I won't say anything about the Manga (since it's not allowed). Although the Manga/spoiler thread doesn't seem as active, which is a shame. I wish I had someone to theorize where the hell this is going with (it seems like the thread is only bumped when a new chapter is out, so I don't feel like bumping it when no one has talked in weeks).

That said, what I said in the Anime season thread is that I have a very love/hate relationship with this show. I think like a lot of people, I was really captivated by the world. The characters are amazing too. But godamn, the pacing is just so off putting in several spots in the story. And the "riptide" style of piling failure on top of failure, and the relentless onslaught of fighting and horror can start to be draining.

But honestly, my biggest issue with this story beyond the pacing, is just where the plot went with Eren post-Titan shift. I just feel like, a lot of the "humans fighting for their freedom"vibe from the beginning of the show is kind of lost. I have a hard time connecting with what was once Eren's anger and thirst for freedom, because I feel like the show started to distance us from that with all the spectacular shit that is happening to him. Truth to be old, I would have been perfeclty fine with this show being more grounded, and the plot having been about Eren being a cadet and leading humanity to rise up against the Titans. I actually thought that was what the show was going to be (especially with how well they did the transition of him, Mikasa, and Armin's training in the army). I really thought the first battle was going to be this tragic epic, but with Eren coming back from his downfall and taking lead like Mikasa (I loved how Mikasa rose to the occasion in the first battle). But instead, the plot takes a HUGE turn. I didn't need Eren to rise up in the first battle either to be clear (especially since in the training, he wasn't particularly as skilled as say Mikasa). But I'm more so talking about the sudden shift from Eren being this person that really would rather die than live another day in fear of the Titans (that palpable energy he gave off), and it being spun in a completely different direction. Speaking of LOST (a show I actually loved), I'm really worried about the overall mythology of the show as well.

All I can really say though, is that despite the shows many flaws (and I really do think it has some pretty big flaws), there is something so alluring about the world and characters. I don't know how else to put it. It's such a strange feeling for me, because I walk that thin line of loving the show, but being so on the fence about where it's going, or where it's already gone.

IBut honestly, my biggest issue with this story beyond the pacing, is just where the plot went with Eren post-Titan shift
yeah, that shift was definitely jarring.

My biggest issue is how cynical it all is. For an ensemble cast, most of the characters are really unlikable. Mikasa is a badass, and we got background into her character explaining her motivations but the rest are just mostly terrible. In the second to last episode, Armin was pleading with Eren to let go of his humanity. He made the case that Annie already had and that's why she would win...wait, what? Eren is seen as being naive in multiple instances for wanting to save people with his titan powers. The mangaka went out of his way to make the "hero" look dumb, almost as if a hes critiquing the cliches of the standard shonen protagonist.

Its possible to show the world these people live in is brutal and harsh without making most of the characters dicks. The universe set up is an interesting playground, I just wish I had someone in it I could pull for. It doesn't do a very convincing job to show humanity is even worth saving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom