• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
You and everyone else that don't really watch much but can appreciate a good anime, should go watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 because it's the best anime ever.

Listen to this man. LISTEN TO HIM!

dan2026

You and everyone else that don't really watch much but can appreciate a good anime, should go watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 because it's the best anime ever.

Hunter x Hunter is a lot better than SnK.

SnK isn't bad at all, but HxH is on another level.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter x Hunter is a lot better than SnK.

SnK isn't bad at all, but HxH is on another level.

Disagreed. Early Hunter x Hunter, maybe, but Attack on Titan is better than the Chimera Ant arc.

If you want to see anime that is really actually truthfully better than Attack on Titan, go watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Bursts with style from beginning to end. This is just godly.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do not listen to this man. I really liked SnK but HxH is the best ever. Chimera Ant arc > all

Chimera Ant arc's pacing makes episodes 9-11 of Attack on Titan look fast. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure also really is better than both of them, possibly the best shonen I've ever seen.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AoT better than HxH? Better than Chimera Ant arc?

michaeljordanlaugh.jpg

what a horrible opinion

too many fools can't take the cold hard truth.

EDIT: York Shin City, though, beats down all of AoT, easily. Shame the quality of Hunter x Hunter bombed after Greed Island.

Chimera Ant arc's pacing makes episodes 9-11 of Attack on Titan look fast. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure also really is better than both of them, possibly the best shonen I've ever seen.

Wryyyyyyy! Love JoJo's, but honestly, the anime does quite a bit of explaining everything. I know it's a faithful recreation, but we don't need Speedwagon explaining how someone is throwing every punch. It sucks because I love the story, characters and action, but the explaining makes it hard to get people to watch it. My friend stopped halfway through the first generation just because of it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wryyyyyyy! Love JoJo's, but honestly, the anime does quite a bit of explaining everything. I know it's a faithful recreation, but we don't need Speedwagon explaining how someone is throwing every punch. It sucks because I love the story, characters and action, but the explaining makes it hard to get people to watch it. My friend stopped halfway through the first generation just because of it.

Chimera Ant does that but worse. The narrator shit in the last few episodes is absolutely toxic. I agree, though, I don't like it where-ever it is, but in Jojo I found it disappears after the first half of the first arc and then only occasionally pops back up again. In Hunter x Hunter, there have been so many episodes lately where someone just shits exposition about a particular attack for 90% of the episode.

Splatt

Finished watching it a few days ago, I enjoyed it and will be there for season 2 whenever it comes out.

What I loved the most was the brutality of the world, a nice change of pace from the usuall fluff I'm subjected to.
On the other side of the spectrum is Erin, who is a pretty shitty protagonist, nothing likable about him, just a psychotic kid who lucked out on Titan powers.

I have a question, it's a bit off topic though.

I haven't watched anime in about 5 years or more, so I wasn't prepared for the amount of inner monologue and flashback that usually fill half of the episode.

Is that a standard thing in animes now?

I haven't watched anime in about 5 years or more, so I wasn't prepared for the amount of inner monologue and flashback that usually fill half of the episode.

Now? That's been in anime forever. But yeah, that's all shonen anime is. If it bothers you, then stay away from Naruto at all costs, because every action is accompanied five minutes of them thinking to themselves about how it's going to work, only for it to not work for 30 seconds then have another five minutes of them thinking about how the other guy stopped it from working.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Finished watching it a few days ago, I enjoyed it and will be there for season 2 whenever it comes out.

What I loved the most was the brutality of the world, a nice change of pace from the usuall fluff I'm subjected to.
On the other side of the spectrum is Erin, who is a pretty shitty protagonist, nothing likable about him, just a psychotic kid who lucked out on Titan powers.

I have a question, it's a bit off topic though.

Flashbacks are not so common, I find - Attack on Titan has a strong focus on the fact that lots of events are occurring at the same time as the one the viewer sees at any given time, but Attack on Titan prefers to do things sequentially rather than jump between all those, so the result is flashbacks as different characters explain their viewpoints.

Inner monologuing, though, is like 90% of modern anime. In fact, most anime since forever, really.

First arc of Jojo wasn't that good IMO, Battle Tendency was excellent however, Joseph is too good of a protagonist.

First arc of Jojo wasn't that good IMO, Battle Tendency was excellent however, Joseph is too good of a protagonist.

I agree, I've been trying to get him to Battle Tendency since it's my favorite JoJo, but he's kind of a lapsed anime fan and doesn't want to put up with explanations.

LogicStep

I dunno man, I'll have to give Jojo another try but I was bored after the first like 5 or 6 episodes.

Chimera Ant does that but worse. The narrator shit in the last few episodes is absolutely toxic. I agree, though, I don't like it where-ever it is, but in Jojo I found it disappears after the first half of the first arc and then only occasionally pops back up again. In Hunter x Hunter, there have been so many episodes lately where someone just shits exposition about a particular attack for 90% of the episode.

Hey man, that's like your opinion. :) Everything is subjective, you hate the narrator, I fucking love it and I'm not alone on that one and neither are you! All I can say is.....

Hunter x Hunter 2011, best anime ever. Much feels, way manly, such greatness.

81qyN1y.jpg

Splatt

Now? That's been in anime forever. But yeah, that's all shonen anime is. If it bothers you, then stay away from Naruto at all costs, because every action is accompanied five minutes of them thinking to themselves about how it's going to work, only for it to not work for 30 seconds then have another five minutes of them thinking about how the other guy stopped it from working.

Naruto is what drove me away from anime actually
KuGsj.gif

Guess my memory is playing tricks on me, last anime I remember watching are Trigun and Gungrave.

Flashbacks are not so common, I find - Attack on Titan has a strong focus on the fact that lots of events are occurring at the same time as the one the viewer sees at any given time, but Attack on Titan prefers to do things sequentially rather than jump between all those, so the result is flashbacks as different characters explain their viewpoints.

Inner monologuing, though, is like 90% of modern anime. In fact, most anime since forever, really.

Flashbacks don't annoy me that much, but I'm just sitting there thinking how the time used on giving unneeded exposition could have been used for something else
3AQmK.gif

Oh well, things aren't going to change because of my annoyances so I'd better drop the subject.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Most viewers are just mad that a teenage boy who watched his mother being eaten and most of his comrades crushed to blood pulps can't handle the stress of having to turn into a beast he knows nothing about and risk his life

I'm looking at you, Shinji Ikari!

I'm looking at you, Shinji Ikari!

I've said it before and I will say it again, Shinji Ikari is the most realistic hero in anime. People complaining about him not getting over the horrible trauma in his life are jerks. Straight up jerks.

Weirdly, I've had conversations with people who said Shinji was too much of a whiner who couldn't get over his problems but had no problem with Batman doing exactly the same thing over far less than Shinji.

Necrovex

I've said it before and I will say it again, Shinji Ikari is the most realistic hero in anime. People complaining about him not getting over the horrible trauma in his life are jerks. Straight up jerks.

Weirdly, I've had conversations with people who said Shinji was too much of a whiner who couldn't get over his problems but had no problem with Batman doing exactly the same thing over far less than Shinji.

How many people do you know that masturbate on an unconscious woman in a hospital?!

I dunno man, I'll have to give Jojo another try but I was bored after the first like 5 or 6 episodes.

Hey man, that's like your opinion. :) Everything is subjective, you hate the narrator, I fucking love it and I'm not alone on that one and neither are you! All I can say is.....

Hunter x Hunter 2011, best anime ever. Much feels, way manly, such greatness.

81qyN1y.jpg

People keep talking about Hunter X Hunter (remake) like it's the greatest thing ever. I never sat down and watched it because of the art style. It looks really strange.

Is the animation smooth in the show?

Attack on Titan has brilliant animation. So smooth.

jsnepo

I started watching this last night through Netflix. I stopped at episode 12. It's really hard not to continue watching this show. It feels like all the characters can just die in an instant. I'm also intrigue with the two armored and colossal titans. I have a hunch that they are
human just like how Eren can transform

Durask

Bought the two songs from iTunes and man, sound quality is hideous. The second OP sounds as if your speakers are buried under a pillow.

This makes Metallica's Death Magnetic sound good. I've never, ever encountered a professional recoding that is so hideously bad.

This is the first song in all its glory.

nkRQZvk.png

I watched this show over the Christmas period and I've got to say... the characters love to whine. I get why they're doing it but the show fixates on the same mental dilemmas over and over again.

If they weren't prepared to die then why the hell did they sign up in the first place.

If they weren't prepared to die then why the hell did they sign up in the first place.

I imagine, that like in real life when you sign up to go to war and become terrified upon facing death.
The fight-or-flight instincts hits you like a truck, and that can't be be felt or processed until you're in that situation. Making up your mind on a rational level is not the same as starring death in the face at a rudimentary primal psychological level.

I watched this show over the Christmas period and I've got to say... the characters love to whine. I get why they're doing it but the show fixates on the same mental dilemmas over and over again.

I have people in my family who've gone to war and even though they knew what they were getting into, being faced with the reality of the horrible things around them was far worse than they could have imagined.

I think they way they are reacting is more realistic than being all gunho about it. I mean they are young and going to war with huge freaky Giants. It's over dramatized of course.

Finished this anime by recommendation and I love it. I even marathoned the manga chapters.

I love the fact that in the anime, EVERY ONE YELLS! EREN!!!! M'KASA!!! KAIJU!!!!!! INTENSITY!!!!

Everything is so fucking intense. Even in the OVA, Ilse was MENTALLY YELLING HER THOUGHTS!!!

Nibel

People keep talking about Hunter X Hunter (remake) like it's the greatest thing ever. I never sat down and watched it because of the art style. It looks really strange.

Is the animation smooth in the show?

The first 20 episodes look pretty good, but afterwards the production value goes through the roof and some fights look fantastic. Also, there are also almost zero still shots unlike Attack On Titan

I highly recommend watching HxH - it always weirded me out, but after watching it I'm a true believer. The first arcs are just super fun and easily among the best what the shounen genre has to offer, but the current arc is on the same level of tension as Attack On Titan and even better than anything previously shown in HxH in my opinion

Also, the music is masterful - you should really watch this

Well maybe because they are suppose to fight against human-eating giants that look like ugly old men and kill off people like cockroaches?

Why do people have such issues to understand characters like Shinji or Eren when it's often so obvious why they are the way they are?

Well I presumed that because they're one of the few defensive lines between the human race and total annihilation that their supervisors would train them to mentally discipline themselves so that they wouldn't freeze up when it mattered and get everyone killed.

The survey corps is more of what I'd expect.

Nibel

Well I presumed that because they're one of the few defensive lines between the human race and total annihilation that their supervisors would train them to mentally discipline themselves so that they wouldn't freeze up when it mattered and get everyone killed.

The survey corps is more of what I'd expect.

See, what you are describing would be the ideal situation if there were frequent Titan attacks all the time and the people would be used to them

But the reality in AOT is:

- Titans didn't attack humans for 100 years which is why most soldiers spent their time drinking and playing cards and people just didn't care about Titans

- The only humans who are kind of "used to" Titans are the dudes from the survey corps since their job is to get out and do research about them. But in the very first episode, they return to the village almost completely crippled. All the villagers see them, including kids like Eren and Mikasa, which is proof that all of them understand that the Titans are nothing to fuck with

- All of these soldiers (who are adults by the way) aren't really prepared for a attack despite being able to use the 3DMG which is why they literally shit their pants when the Colossal Titan breaks the wall

And now you've got a bunch of kids who aren't even in their 20s having to fight against those seemingly invincible enemies. Yes, they've been trained, but only for 3 (?) years and without any real Titan battles at all. They've spent most of their time in the military school and never attacked a Titan before, and man, it shows

The thing about the world presented in AOT seems to be that despite people knowing that Titans exist nobody really cared and therefore is unprepared for it; I'd recommend watching the first few episodes

Nibel

Also, how would one make a training program for defeating a titan? I can't think of any tool they have that could simulate what it is like to attack a running giant with any significant degree of accuracy.

Yup, all they learn is basically "the neck is the weak spot" and how to use the 3DMG + some combat skills

Also, how would one make a training program for defeating a titan? I can't think of any tool they have that could simulate what it is like to attack a running giant with any significant degree of accuracy.
They specifically train them to kill titans, but that isn't what I'm getting at.

I can understand not being prepared after 100 years but a few years after the titan attack? They should have upped their game and changed their training protocol to specifically screen people who are emotionally unstable.

Why they don't make fixed blade launchers and saws to kill the titans without facing them in close combat? I could engineer an effective device mounted on the gates of the walls for that.

Betty

Banned
Why they don't make fixed blade launchers and saws to kill the titans without facing them in close combat? I could engineer an effective device mounted on the gates of the walls for that.

Titans come in various sizes. Some are a little over 9 feet tall, others are several stories high while others are able to jump and run, no matter where you place it, a saw wouldn't always be at the optimal height to kill every titan.

Besides the colossus or armored titans could just smash them away.

The Titans skin is tougher than that. It needs to be a big and wide cut, and the swords used kind of saw through as well.

such a device sounds like someone would be sitting ducks if two or more titans came at them, and we already know the giant is intelligent.

aly

No second season has been officially confirmed (yet). It's almost a given with the popularity this show has gotten though.

Thank goodness. My mom was nagging me the other day about if there would be one, so this is good to hear.

Question: Is HxH really long. Like One Piece for instance?

Yawnier

Banned
Thank goodness. My mom was nagging me the other day about if there would be one, so this is good to hear.

Question: Is HxH really long. Like One Piece for instance?

The HxH series that started in 2011 is somewhere over 110 episodes now I believe, whereas One Piece is nearing on 600 episodes very soon. Significant difference between the two in # of episodes I'd say.

The disparity between the overall level of technology (canons, wooden ships, no electricity etc) and the manoeuvring device has bothered me recently. It seems a little bit out of place.

I guess it looks cool.

aly

The HxH series that started in 2011 is somewhere over 110 episodes now I believe, whereas One Piece is nearing on 600 episodes very soon. Significant difference between the two in # of episodes I'd say.

Ok, that's not bad. Don't think I could deal with another show going on that long.

Does the new HxH still have no fillers and a good pace?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Does the new HxH still have no fillers and a good pace?

It has no fillers what-so-ever, which is really nice. Opinion on the pacing varies, although I think everyone would agree it's great early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom