• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
So, has anyone ever talked about the first episode's title? I'm guessing yes. I'm new to the show, so I'm sure this has been talked about to death. But why is the first episode called "To You After 2000 Years"? And why does Eren have visions about what is about to happen? I went back to the first episode and did a frame by frame of that scene. The imagery is bizarre. You get a shot of a man dying. What looks like a general getting killed (his royal armor sits in a chair with his head and arm now gone). A close up of a dead man's eye and a bee sitting on it. We get a shot of a forest, which actually looks like Levi's Squad all dead. Then you get a flash of the smiling Titan, and then clearly Eren's mom being picked up by it.

And all this happens in his "dream". I find this totally baffling. I know that we aren't allowed to post Manga spoilers, but this is actually from the first chapter (so episode 1) same scene. So I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case someone is still wanting to read the manga front to back. (It's the same exact scene, just slightly different dialogue.

Eren
wakes up from this dream and says "It's gotten longer hasn't it. Mikasa...your hair". So one could take this as him talking about her hair when it's really long when they are in the army (that scene where he tells her to cut). I admit this is a bit of a stretch compared to the Anime where it actually has a sequence that shows his dream. But I still find his comments bizarre in the Manga (on top of the Manga's title being the same as the first episode).

Is the title just a shoddy translation, or is it accurate? And if so, has the author ever commented on it?

So, has anyone ever talked about the first episode's title? I'm guessing yes. I'm new to the show, so I'm sure this has been talked about to death. But why is the first episode called "To You After 2000 Years"? And why does Eren have visions about what is about to happen? I went back to the first episode and did a frame by frame of that scene. The imagery is bizarre. You get a shot of a man dying. What looks like a general getting killed (his royal armor sits in a chair with his head and arm now gone). A close up of a dead man's eye and a bee sitting on it. We get a shot of a forest, which actually looks like Levi's Squad all dead. Then you get a flash of the smiling Titan, and then clearly Eren's mom being picked up by it.

And all this happens in his "dream". I find this totally baffling. I know that we aren't allowed to post Manga spoilers, but this is actually from the first chapter (so episode 1) same scene. So I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case someone is still wanting to read the manga front to back. (It's the same exact scene, just slightly different dialogue.

Eren
wakes up from this dream and says "It's gotten longer hasn't it. Mikasa...your hair". So one could take this as him talking about her hair when it's really long when they are in the army (that scene where he tells her to cut). I admit this is a bit of a stretch compared to the Anime where it actually has a sequence that shows his dream. But I still find his comments bizarre in the Manga (on top of the Manga's title being the same as the first episode).

Is the title just a shoddy translation, or is it accurate? And if so, has the author ever commented on it?

Current chapter of the manga certainly offers major evidence that it is a very deliberate sequence of panels

Jaronin

Banned
Someone issue me a late pass!!!

I just found out about this a couple of days ago and decided to start watching last night. Im 8 episodes in and I'm hooked!!! I'm probably gonna read every post in this thread after I've finished binge watching and look for the manga after that.

Someone issue me a late pass!!!

I just found out about this a couple of days ago and decided to start watching last night. Im 8 episodes in and I'm hooked!!! I'm probably gonna read every post in this thread after I've finished binge watching and look for the manga after that.

You might have feelings of dropping this show soon. Stick with it, though. There's gold in them thar hills. You just have to slog through a really poorly-paced arc to get there.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Ugh, watched the series on Netflix in a few days.

So there is NO announcement on when the next season will begin? Or if they even started production on it yet?
I don't think I can't hold out a year to see what happens next.

How is the manga releases? Is it released timely every month or are there long hiatus breaks?
And where to start from where the anime ended?

Mononoke

Banned
Ugh, watched the series on Netflix in a few days.

So there is NO announcement on when the next season will begin? Or if they even started production on it yet?
I don't think I can't hold out a year to see what happens next.

How is the manga releases? Is it released timely every month or are there long hiatus breaks?
And where to start from where the anime ended?

Manga picks up on Chapter 34 "Warriors Dance". Thing is, it's basically episode 25 of the anime, but it includes a lot of stuff that was cut out of the Anime version. I actually hated the final episode of the anime, and felt it was lacking in a lot of ways. And then I found out the manga version of the same episode, had more stuff in it.

My guess is, the stuff that they cut from the final episode, will just be pushed to the first two episodes of the new season. So started with Chapter 34. Honestly, I would almost just suggest you read the entire Manga. Because while the Anime is actually pretty damn close 1:1, there is some pretty big things you find out (dialogue that says a lot more than the Anime version). Also, the Manga is a monthly release I think (but sometimes there is a delay).

One of the latest Manga issues said something about the The Anime returns April 5th (Saturdays) at the bottom of the page. But I can't find anywhere where this is confirmed. I actually think I read it wrong, because there is an OVA (which is basically a side episode), that will be released in April. So maybe that's what the manga meant. Either way, I think to answer your question, I don't think there is a release day set yet.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Showed my roommate the first episode. He likes all kinds of anime, including classics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion and FMA, but I've never seen him so bored. He didn't like the style, he didn't like the story, he found the whole thing to be predictable, and he didn't even mention the opening title.

I could understand being a bit skeptical, but I was honestly quite shocked at his indifference towards it. I told him to watch a couple more episodes, but he disliked the first episode so much he won't even consider that.

Showed my roommate the first episode. He likes all kinds of anime, including classics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion and FMA, but I've never seen him so bored. He didn't like the style, he didn't like the story, he found the whole thing to be predictable, and he didn't even mention the opening title.

I could understand being a bit skeptical, but I was honestly quite shocked at his indifference towards it. I told him to watch a couple more episodes, but he disliked the first episode so much he won't even consider that.

Honestly, I didn't really like the show at first either. The only reason why I kept going was I had enough friends encouraging me to keep up with it.

That said, the show has quite a few problems that I think could have been easily fixed (mostly character/pacing).

I like it enough to keep going though, but I don't blame your friend for dropping it either.

SJRB

Gold Member

Then your roommate is a moron.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer

The show is definitely NOT predictable.

Indeed. If there's one thing I could never disagree more with concerning this show, it's its predictability. I loved both AoT and, to a lesser extent, FMA: Brotherhood for that.

I wouldn't say I was able to predict everything from the start, but I just finished the first 25 episodes and, through most of them, I was more or less able to tell where things were going 3 or so episodes in advance.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't say I was able to predict everything from the start, but I just finished the first 25 episodes and, through most of them, I was more or less able to tell where things were going 3 or so episodes in advance.

See, that at least certainly wasn't the case for me. There might have been some overarching plot points that I could see coming, but there were far too many individual story moments within those arcs that I could not see coming at all.

Off the top of my head:
- Moment of triumph after Eren's training only to immediately turn into despair when the Colossal Titan appears once more.
- Eren "dying."
- Eren becoming a Titan.
- Armin's heartfelt speech being totally ineffective.
- Levi's squad dying horribly after trying to pull off the typical anime "trust in us" moment.

There are too many moments like that for me to ever say that this show was predictable.

Off the top of my head:
- Eren becoming a Titan.
- Armin's heartfelt speech being totally ineffective.
- Levi's squad dying horribly after trying to pull off the typical anime "trust in us" moment.

There are too many moments like that for me to ever say that this show was predictable.

Thing is, once you get in the show's mindset, (i.e. subversion of tropes while using said tropes) it gets easier to call what happens.

I figured all 3 of those were going to be the case as soon as the potential started. Some of the specifics were off
I didn't think Eren was able to spawn/summon a titan at basically will, but that he would pilot the one that ate him
but the main plot points weren't that unpredictable imo.

I just finished watching the show on Sunday. I did like it as a whole, but the pacing of the show was questionable at times. There were quite a lot of instances where the show seemed to be stalling with internal monologues, and explanations of things that can easily be deduced from the scene that just played out.

I was a little saddened that as soon as Eren transformed, I was able to piece together where the show was heading. That it would become a Hulkzilla show of people transforming into monsters, fighting other people that could transform.

I easily pieced together who the Armoured Titan could be after that, due to his general build and hair. Instead of addressing that, the show however gave me a Female Titan instead and spent the rest of the season on her. It took me a bit longer to figure out her identity, but she turned out be hanging with the guy I suspected. I wish they would have addressed the armoured titan's identity, rather than the female one. Now I feel like I know a bit I shouldn't going into the second season.

Overall it's a fun show with fun characters, and the action scenes have a really nice flow to them. They especially seemed to put a lot of effort into the Mikasa and the main titan antagonist ones. That said, of all the characters, I enjoyed Zoë the most. Her enthusiasm is infectious and a lot of fun.

One last thing I feel the need to point out is a thing a friend of mine brought up while we were watching it. The male and female cadets seemed to be wearing the same outfits. That might seem trivial, but it goes a long way in terms of gender equality and credibility. Anime Fight School shows usually are structured and designed in such a way that they could inject a lot of high school tropes and imagery. One part of this is that this usually means that the young girls would have bare legs, which of course makes no sense as soldiers. Rather than go for the fan service, they did their world more justice by giving everyone trousers. I definitely appreciated that, and feel like it should be recognised. This is the first Anime Fight School show that I can say I liked.

I'll definitely be back once the second season starts.

I just finished watching the show on Sunday. I did like it as a whole, but the pacing of the show was questionable at times. There were quite a lot of instances where the show seemed to be stalling with internal monologues, and explanations of things that can easily be deduced from the scene that just played out.

I was a little saddened that as soon as Eren transformed, I was able to piece together where the show was heading. That it would become a Hulkzilla show of people transforming into monsters, fighting other people that could transform.

I easily pieced together who the Armoured Titan could be after that, due to his general build and hair. Instead of addressing that, the show however gave me a Female Titan instead and spent the rest of the season on her. It took me a bit longer to figure out her identity, but she turned out be hanging with the guy I suspected. I wish they would have addressed the armoured titan's identity, rather than the female one. Now I feel like I know a bit I shouldn't going into the second season.

Overall it's a fun show with fun characters, and the action scenes have a really nice flow to them. They especially seemed to put a lot of effort into the Mikasa and the main titan antagonist ones. That said, of all the characters, I enjoyed Zoë the most. Her enthusiasm is infectious and a lot of fun.

One last thing I feel the need to point out is a thing a friend of mine brought up while we were watching it. The male and female cadets seemed to be wearing the same outfits. That might seem trivial, but it goes a long way in terms of gender equality and credibility. Anime Fight School shows usually are structured and designed in such a way that they could inject a lot of high school tropes and imagery. One part of this is that this usually means that the young girls would have bare legs, which of course makes no sense as soldiers. Rather than go for the fan service, they did their world more justice by giving everyone trousers. I definitely appreciated that, and feel like it should be recognised. This is the first Anime Fight School show that I can say I liked.

I'll definitely be back once the second season starts.

You are not the first one that claims to know who the armor titan is after watching the Anime, I've watched the Anime but I don't have clue who that guy might be, hmmm time to look for a guy with a similar hair style I guess...

BTW, where can I buy the mangas in english? if I subscribe to crunchyroll will I be able to get them? or any e-version ipad friendly?

Articalys

Vol. 8 cover went up a couple weeks ago, and of course Levi gets the spotlight all to himself:
71nWuLj-DaL._AA_.jpg
So with all of the main characters accounted for, what's the last cover going to be then?
Titan Eren vs. Titan Annie
?

linko9

Just watched all 25 episodes on Netflix, really enjoyed it. But I've never watched more than a couple episodes of an anime before, so I'm very confused as to what's going on in terms of the future of the show. Going into it, I looked at the Wikipedia page and came to the conclusion that this was a self-contained story; i.e., there would be no further episodes, as there's no mention whatsoever of "seasons" or any indication that more is going to be made. So I was very surprised towards the end when it became clear that this thing was not going to be wrapped up within the 25 episodes. So first question: they are making more seasons, right? They can't leave me hanging like that! And second; assuming that the anime is closely based on the manga, what percentage of the entire plot was contained in this first season? Or is the manga still being written? Sorry for my ignorance, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into!

Erigu

they are making more seasons, right?
Nothing confirmed yet, but considering how successful the series is, it's pretty much a done deal.

what percentage of the entire plot was contained in this first season? Or is the manga still being written?
It is still running, indeed.
That being said, the author thinks the series will be around 20 volumes long in the end, and the (first?) TV series covered a bit less than 8 volumes. So... probably something like a third of the entire plot?

Mononoke

Banned
Nothing confirmed yet, but considering how successful the series is, it's pretty much a done deal.

It is still running, indeed.
That being said, the author thinks the series will be around 20 volumes long in the end, and the (first?) TV series covered a bit less than 8 volumes. So... probably something like a third of the entire plot?

I'm starting to get worried TBH. No doubt, there will be a second season (first season was insanely popular). Problem is, the MAIN focus is the Manga. Anime's are often made to try boost sales of the Manga. And considering the huge jump in sales with the manga post Season 1 of the anime, it makes me think that the priority will be 100% the Manga this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Anime second season didn't come out till Mid 2015. Plus, first season of the Anime covered 34 chapters. We currently are on 53, so do the math. The last thing they want to do is have the Anime catch up to the Manga. Then there will be filler, and no one wants that. They are going to have to pace out the Anime and Manga, and honestly, I'm not sure how that will work out.

I did some math, but the Manga probably won't be done until 3 years. (The author says he wants to finish it all by volume 20. Later volumes have consistently been 4 chapters a volume. So 4 chapters x 8 (there are 8 volumes left) = 32 more chapters. With him releasing 1 chapter a month, that's a possible of 12 chapters a year x 3 = 36. So at its current pace, the Manga won't hit the last 8 volumes (and 20 total volumes) until about 3 years.

So it would make sense if the Anime gets delayed. That said, I'm 100% speculating. And I'll be honest, I'm not entirely an expert on this. There have been examples in the past that contradict this pacing/formatting. So it's not absolute. But the fact that we haven't heard anything yet, kind of makes me think it will be a while (our best bet might be at the very end of the year).

Mononoke

Banned
You're welcome!

It can't quite get delayed when there's no projected date whatsoever. ^^;

Sure. I just meant, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to delay the Anime post the Manga finishing up this arc. I guess delay is the wrong word (I meant spacing it out). First Season covered 34 chapters, and right now there is only 19 chapters done past what Season 1 covered. I actually could see them padding it out some in Season 2, as there was some stuff cut from the Manga (that should have been in Season 1). But not more than 1-2 episodes.

I guess what I really meant was, I could see them spacing out the Anime further apart than some expect. As I said, wouldn't be surprised if Season 2 ended up being mid 2015. That way it gives them time to put out 11 more chapters this year, as well as a couple more early into 2015. Of course, they could start production on the anime and finish up the season as it goes along. I just can't see them releasing it any earlier (especially mid this year). But even if they did release it sooner..

What happens then, if they do this and Season 2 ends up covering whatever is left in the manga? Then both the Manga and Anime would be 1:1 caught up. I dunno. Regardless, the focus is going to be on the Manga. Cost far less to make, and it's selling insanely well.

Edit: I'm also making the assumption they will need 34 chapters again to make a season. Which I admit, I shouldn't. The material from the manga doesn't always translate 1:1

mm04

The show is definitely NOT predictable.

Finished watching this on Netflix a week ago, and I agree totally. I reacted to some events like I did watching Braveheart for the first time. Oh, this is where they come to save the day...WTF! I generally fear for the life of everyone on AoT now.

Finished watching this on Netflix a week ago, and I agree totally. I reacted to some events like I did watching Braveheart for the first time. Oh, this is where they come to save the day...WTF! I generally fear for the life of everyone on AoT now.

This. Not to mention the first time Eren fought a Titan. I was like wtf?!?! Wasn't the main character?!?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just finished this on Netflix. I really hope the show does end up only being 3 seasons, because this is the first Anime I've watched since my Naruto/Bleach days (Stopped in 2009), and I'm not in the mood to watch another show that never ends.

TUSR

Banned
Just finished this on Netflix. I really hope the show does end up only being 3 seasons, because this is the first Anime I've watched since my Naruto/Bleach days (Stopped in 2009), and I'm not in the mood to watch another show that never ends.

im down with an absolute max of 4 seasons. 3 seems like it would be good.

Mobius 1

Just started watching this, made it up to episode 6.

Holy shit this is superb stuff!

When the Colossal Titan shows up for the second time and surprises the cadets at the wall, and Eren goes FUCK YOU AND EVERYTHING ELSE, brilliant stuff. Haven't felt that excited for anime since Champloo.

Mononoke

Banned
By no means is this 100% confirmation, but it does suggest Season 2 is likely going to air in 2015. Doesn't sound like the studio has plans to even start on it this year (and their focus instead will be OVA releases.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO65926080X20C14A1000000/?df=2
https://twitter.com/gwada44

The article is from the Nikkei newspaper's online site. It's an interview with George Wada (here's his twitter https://twitter.com/gwada44), who was the producer of the anime for Studio Wit.

Relevant text from the article "原作漫画はまだ続いている。アニメ本編の続編も、いずれやりたいと思っているが、今年は限定版コミックスにつけるDVDの制作に取り組んでいるところだ。本編とは別のエピソードを収めている。"

Translation: "The original manga series is still ongoing. We would like to do a continuation of the anime as well, but for this year we will be focusing on DVD OVAs that will be released along with limited editions of the manga releases. They depicts stories that are separate from the main plot."

While he does say "for this year," because this article was written just recently, it's hard to say if he actually means all of 2014, but...there it is.

Credit

Doing the math, if 1st season covered 33 chapters (34 sort of)...we are at chapter. 53 now. That means it needs 13-15 more chapters give or take. And since there is only one chapter a month released, this makes sense. I still think it will be late 2015 tbh. :/

kirblar

Wow 2015 huh. Are yearly seasons not a regular thing for anime shows or something?
This one is an adaptation and has to wait on the Manga to have enough material. (And also has to be paced to keep the gap from growing too large between seasons.)

Mononoke

Banned
Wow 2015 huh. Are yearly seasons not a regular thing for anime shows or something?

The manga makes more money than the Anime and cost much less to make. Anime adaptations often help boost sales of the Manga (which is exactly what Season 1 did). Imagine how many fans couldn't wait any longer and broke down and started buying all the Manga to catch up?

The real issue here is pacing though. The anime can't really be ahead of the Manga or they will need to create filler episodes, which no one wants. Because this series is a monthly manga, it takes longer to make.

Consider this. Season 1 covered 33-34 chapters. At a chapter a month, you are basically talking 3 years of Manga just to make Season 1! So really that's the issue. I personally won't be shocked if Season 2 airs in the Summer or the end of 2015. Maybe even later depending on when they start production.

The author wants to finish the story by volume 20 and we are on 12 now. 4 chapters a volume, and that's 32 more chapters (so basically another 3 years). The wait for Season 3 will probably be worse lol. Basically, you pretty much have to read the manga, or expect 1-2 year gaps between seasons if you are Anime only.

Mononoke

Banned
They can do a 12 episode season this autumn. Then 12 more in 2015. That way they won't ever catch the manga

That would be cool. Although it doesn't sound like the studio plans production for 2014. But splitting seasons might be a good solution. Realistically, this Anime will probably have 3 seasons. And it probably won't finish till 2018.

Erigu

This reminds also, in Japan, are the TV seasons structured like in america? Like the fall is when new shows start and summer is usually down time?
Not at all. The year is divided in four periods called "cours" (yep, that's French): April->June, July->September, October->December and January->March.
Shows generally last at least one cours (for a weekly show, that means around 12/13 episodes), and are sometimes "split" (for example, a two-cours series could air half of its episodes, take a break for one cours, and then come back for the second batch of episodes).
And like I said above, sequel series air whenever the stars align (if they ever do).

Here, Shingeki no Kyojin was a two-cours series that aired from April to September 2013.
Although there's no confirmation about a sequel series yet, it's more or less guaranteed to get made. The question would be when. There wouldn't be enough source material for another two-cours series in 2014, so some had speculated they might try and air a shorter (one-cours) series instead, but the comment quoted above seems to indicate that's not in the plans. Most likely, we're looking at another (probably two-cours) series in 2015 at the earliest.

Mononoke

Banned
Not at all. The year is divided in four periods called "cours" (yep, that's French): April->June, July->September, October->December and January->March.
Shows generally last at least one cours (for a weekly show, that means around 12/13 episodes), and are sometimes "split" (for example, a two-cours series could air half of its episodes, take a break for one cours, and then come back for the second batch of episodes).
And like I said above, sequel series air whenever the stars align (if they ever do).

Here, Shingeki no Kyojin was a two-cours series that aired from April to September 2013.
Although there's no confirmation about a sequel series yet, it's more or less guaranteed to get made. The question would be when. There wouldn't be enough source material for another two-cours series in 2014, so some had speculated they might try and air a shorter (one-cours) series instead, but the comment quoted above seems to indicate that's not in the plans. Most likely, we're looking at another (probably two-cours) series in 2015 at the earliest.

Well the more you know! I didn't know that, I appreciate you explaining how shows are Aired in Japan. Very helpful. So I guess this does give the show flexibility to split episodes into cours, and take breaks between cours.

Just in my head, I'm doing the math, and I can't see them NOT hitting some kind of extended delays (at least with the final season). I guess this is to be expected, and is nothing new. But Attack on Titan is getting HUGE over here in the States, I think a lot of people watched the first season and were instantly drawn in. I think some of those people are in for a rude awakening when the distance between seasons is longer than they thought. This isn't going to be like a typical show in the States where you watch ONE season, and then a year later the second season comes out and so on (I should note, even in the States it's often typical of a 24 episode season to take breaks between the two. It's never 24 episodes back to back. But generally, you get all 24 episodes in a year time span, and then the show gets a year break - give or take).

Which again, is to be expected. If you are like a lot folks (including me), you will give in and just go for the Manga. Only way to satisfy your hunger. In that sense, the Manga/Anime thing is like professional heroin dealers. Got people buying all the manga, and catching up to buy every new one each month. :p

Erigu

I guess this does give the show flexibility to split episodes into cours, and take breaks between cours.
Note that this thing about some series taking a break for one cours is, I believe, a relatively recent practice. Also, the two halves tend to be considered as two separate series, officially (basically, they triumphantly announce "a new series in three months!" when the first half ends, despite the fact that was really the plan all along).

Mononoke

Banned
Note that this thing about some series taking a break for one cours is, I believe, a relatively recent practice. Also, the two halves tend to be considered as two separate series, officially (basically, they triumphantly announce "a new series in three months!" when the first half ends, despite the fact that was really the plan all along).

Well then. I wonder if it's something they would do here then? Would be kind of strange to have Season 1 be one format, then split up what would be Season 2 into 2 and 3. Ah well. At this point it's best to not worry about it. I'm fairly certain any announcement will be far off. If it comes sooner great.

Till then, I have the manga to hold me over. I only worry for the fans that got hooked on the anime and aren't aware there will be a substantial gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom