• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yawnier

Banned
tumblr_mx6fc2FWr01rnx5rho1_500.gif

Season's greetings from Trost

Pretty cool gif.

Man...why oh why did I ever watch this? I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just say AoT is too good. Can't remember the last time I've been glued to the screen like I was when watching this. I've been trying to find an anime equally as interesting and am having no luck.

Moonkeis

I haven't had luck getting my wife into any of the recent animes until now...hooked all the way until the very last episode of the season.

I've started her on Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as well since I have the collection.

Branduil

Attack on Titan OVA - Ilse's Notebook

A glimpse at what the show might have been like if Hanji was the protagonist.
LOL at Ilse still writing while her head is in the titan's jaws.
That's some dedication right there.

ronito

So I watched the first like 5 or 6 episodes. Can't say I get the hype at all. Eren is a terrible protagonist.Usually at least by now I've found something that I like. But I can't say outside of the spidey action that I care much for this anime. And I had such high hopes.

Recently finished the Anime. Really enjoyed it but a few things:

1) stfu Erin.

2) pacing was awful in the middle

3) absolutely nothing was explained or resolved wtf?!

Now I dont know what else to watch on crunchyroll. The service seems to be filled with Naruto style crap.

Majestad

Banned

1) stfu Erin.

Now I dont know what else to watch on crunchyroll. The service seems to be filled with Naruto style crap.

Space Brothers is an utterly phenomenal anime. Please do yourself a favor and watch it.

Also damn at that Mikasa cosplay. Remove the fake abs and it is perfect.

daniels

1) stfu Erin.

Hunter x Hunter 2011
Its better than the rest

kirblar

Hunter x Hunter 2011
Its better than the rest
This.

And yeah, this was the best place for them to stop. There will be a season 2+ eventually- there's way too much money lying on the table to not do it. And the Manga is planned to end in a relatively short time as well. The creator doesn't want it turning into Naruto/One Piece.

1) stfu Erin.

There is a source manga that is ongoing, you may find answers there. If not, hopefully they'll do a season 2.

1) stfu Erin.

Don't forget to watch the OVA episode 3.5

Veelk

Banned
I know we're not suppose to discuss manga in this thread, but I really just want a recommendation. My friend really wants me to get into the series. I usually prefer reading manga, but the animation seems really good in the series. So, to those who have seen both, how should I get into this series, the manga or anime?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know we're not suppose to discuss manga in this thread, but I really just want a recommendation. My friend really wants me to get into the series. I usually prefer reading manga, but the animation seems really good in the series. So, to those who have seen both, how should I get into this series, the manga or anime?

Read the manga, and when you're caught up, watch the anime.
Mostly because the pacing in the anime is slooooow.

Veelk

Banned
So decided to watch the anime and I'm mostly caught up. 2 episodes to go. What manga chapter does the anime end on, so I can continue on?

LTTP but I finally got around to finishing the first anime series.

...This is only going to be the first, right? I wonder when they will have enough material to adapt a second series.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Goddamn this anime is sweet. I was perusing a several pages back to see what yall were saying around episodes 19-21 and holy fucking shit some of you just cannot shut the fuck up and drop hints about the manga. "omg that is sooo gonna be important later", "omg, blah blah blah" Jesus Christ people. Reminds me of why I stopped going into the Walking Dead thread anymore.

brb ordering all the manga because I don't trust the internet.

Have all the Japanese releases been released in English too? I see them for sale on Amazon. There's no way, aside from importing, to get the Japanese versions, right? I guess that's fine if the English version is all caught up.

What's the official name of the chousa division, anyway? I hear different people referring to it as different things, but that's probably due to different subs or whatever.

edit: official name in English, I mean.

belushy

Banned
So, not sure if this is old news or not, but Attack on Titan is on Netflix in the US, Canada, and the U.K (not sure about UK but that is what a reddit post says.) I signed into netflix.com and searched for it after seeing the reddit post and it is indeed there. Should be a lot easier to get new people to watch it now lol

Sorry if this is old news :p

Hindle

Banned
I finished this show a few weeks ago and holy shit, it was brilliant. The characters and story were very well written.

Any word on the second season? I'm assuming Summer it will start, a year after the first season aired.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This just got added to Canadian netflix so I watched it because of all the hype around it...

And my God it's so much talking and whining and people acting stupid, and super melodramatic, and it has the worst worst worst soundtrack and the voice acting is so over the top.

I only finished it because I thought it would wrap in 25 eps like Evangelion, but this keeps going? I'm out!

LogicStep

This just got added to Canadian netflix so I watched it because of all the hype around it...

And my God it's so much talking and whining and people acting stupid, and super melodramatic, and it has the worst worst worst soundtrack and the voice acting is so over the top.

I only finished it because I thought it would wrap in 25 eps like Evangelion, but this keeps going? I'm out!

And you sat through the whole thing? Damn, should have stopped during the first 10 episodes if you didn't like it that much.

Nibel

The show has some issues but this post is hyperbole deluxe

Besides, who watches 25 episodes of something he or she doesn't like? Seems like you went into this with prejudice

Dr.Acula

Banned
And you sat through the whole thing? Damn, should have stopped during the first 10 episodes if you didn't like it that much.

I thought it was gonna end at 25/26 the way Champloo, Evangelion, or GITS:SAC did.

I wanted to know what was in that basement damnit!

The show has some issues but this post is hyperbole deluxe

Besides, who watches 25 episodes of something he or she doesn't like? Seems like you went into this with prejudice

I watched Bebop because people said it was awesome, and Monster because people said it was awesome, and those were awesome. Generally most Anime tends to fly under my radar, but every now and then I check some out. I just have to say that the hype missed its mark in this case, as Attack on Titan is clearly a notch below the series I have mentioned.
'cept GITS, which sucked ;P

And 25 eps wasn't so big a commitment, it was like ~10 hours, I did that over two evenings.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, I just finished watching the final episode. I blasted through the entire season in less than a week, this was an amazing experience.

I have ZERO knowledge about anime, never watched anything aside from DBZ and as such have no idea if this is a "good" show in comparison to other anime. Or something. I went in this show completely blind, I literally knew nothing other than that it was supposed to be a great show. And good lord, it was.

It was super intense from the very first episode, it just grabbed me and I couldn't stop watching. I don't even know where to begin haha. Episode 8 is probably my favourite, the twist at the end just blew my mind. In fact, the show does an extremely good job at throwing unexpected twists and turns, there were numerous instances where a situation turned out completely different than I expected which was super refreshing. Tons of character development, almost no stereotypical characters you so often see in "regular" shows and movies. I also really enjoyed how the show gives zero fucks about killing familiar characters. It always kept me on the edge of my seat because as opposed to regular shows, any character in this one could actually, seriously die at any moment. Again, very refreshing.

Another thing I really liked [especially in the first few episodes] is how it casually introduces characters before they're actually featured. Like that short and seemingly completely random snippet of commander Prixis playing chess, only for him to be properly introduced in the show several episodes later. Same goes for Erwin, Levi and the rest of the Recon team. I liked that a lot.

Of all the characters I actually think I dislike Eren the most. He is actually quite a douche.

- Intense show
- Really enjoyed the artstyle, it looked spectacular
- Music was amazing throughout
- Tons of character development
- Show doesn't give a fuck about killing off characters
- Mikasa Mikasa Mikasa Mikasa

I'll refrain from writing a 10 page essay on how much I enjoyed it, but I have only one question: why is Eren always such a dick to Mikasa?

FluxWaveZ

In fact, the show does an extremely good job at throwing unexpected twists and turns, there were numerous instances where a situation turned out completely different than I expected which was super refreshing. Tons of character development, almost no stereotypical characters you so often see in "regular" shows and movies. I also really enjoyed how the show gives zero fucks about killing familiar characters. It always kept me on the edge of my seat because as opposed to regular shows, any character in this one could actually, seriously die at any moment. Again, very refreshing.

These are the reasons I enjoyed the show so much. It's enjoyable when a show can subvert my expectations so frequently and I like that it's not afraid of killing off some meaningful characters.

As far as anime goes, I also appreciated the fact that there is no sexual fanservice which seems frequent in the medium and which I abhor.

It's interesting that the main character is probably one of the most unlikable ones in the show.

SJRB

Gold Member
These are the reasons I enjoyed the show so much. It's enjoyable when a show can subvert my expectations so frequently and I like that it's not afraid of killing off some meaningful characters.

As far as anime goes, I also appreciated the fact that there is no sexual fanservice which seems frequent in the medium and which I abhor.

It's interesting that the main character is probably one of the most unlikable ones in the show.

But is that deliberately done though? I mean, are we supposed to dislike Eren? He doesn't do anything really offensively bad or something.

Nibel

But is that deliberately done though? I mean, are we supposed to dislike Eren? He doesn't do anything really offensively bad or something.

Most viewers are just mad that a teenage boy who watched his mother being eaten and most of his comrades crushed to blood pulps can't handle the stress of having to turn into a beast he knows nothing about and risk his life

LogicStep

Okay, I just finished watching the final episode. I blasted through the entire season in less than a week, this was an amazing experience.

I have ZERO knowledge about anime, never watched anything aside from DBZ and as such have no idea if this is a "good" show in comparison to other anime. Or something. I went in this show completely blind, I literally knew nothing other than that it was supposed to be a great show. And good lord, it was.

It was super intense from the very first episode, it just grabbed me and I couldn't stop watching. I don't even know where to begin haha. Episode 8 is probably my favourite, the twist at the end just blew my mind. In fact, the show does an extremely good job at throwing unexpected twists and turns, there were numerous instances where a situation turned out completely different than I expected which was super refreshing. Tons of character development, almost no stereotypical characters you so often see in "regular" shows and movies. I also really enjoyed how the show gives zero fucks about killing familiar characters. It always kept me on the edge of my seat because as opposed to regular shows, any character in this one could actually, seriously die at any moment. Again, very refreshing.

Another thing I really liked [especially in the first few episodes] is how it casually introduces characters before they're actually featured. Like that short and seemingly completely random snippet of commander Prixis playing chess, only for him to be properly introduced in the show several episodes later. Same goes for Erwin, Levi and the rest of the Recon team. I liked that a lot.

Of all the characters I actually think I dislike Eren the most. He is actually quite a douche.

- Intense show
- Really enjoyed the artstyle, it looked spectacular
- Music was amazing throughout
- Tons of character development
- Show doesn't give a fuck about killing off characters
- Mikasa Mikasa Mikasa Mikasa

I'll refrain from writing a 10 page essay on how much I enjoyed it, but I have only one question: why is Eren always such a dick to Mikasa?

You and everyone else that don't really watch much but can appreciate a good anime, should go watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 because it's the best anime ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom