• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'll PM it to you, because they really are major spoilers. I feel kinda guilty even talking about it here.

There's a spoiler thread for the manga.

sonicmj1

Episode 4

Most of the episode was pretty cheap. They're lifting a lot of storyboards straight from the manga. But I loved how they paced the episode to end it where they did. Next week should be interesting.

Characters will get somewhat more complex once the show gets past the introduction phase, but keep in mind that the manga really is shonen. The strength of its premise disguises that fact for a while, but the main theme is how much people can accomplish if they believe they can succeed and they work together. It's that kind of story.

I'm not as negative about the manga as some (and the anime has improved things by arranging events chronologically), but I can see why the direction the writing has taken bothered some people.

Kinyou

Thought it was hilarious how Eren just adopted the mindset of the blond girl and basically acted as if he came up with it himself.

Thought it was hilarious how Eren just adopted the mindset of the blond girl and basically acted as if he came up with it himself.

What do you mean? She just pointed out
the irony of people learning how to kill titans while at the same time trying to get into the top 10 of the class so they won't have to fight them. Seemed more like a realization that he hadn't considered before Annie brought it to his attention.

Kinyou

the irony of people learning how to kill titans while at the same time trying to get into the top 10 of the class so they won't have to fight them. Seemed more like a realization that he hadn't considered before Annie brought it to his attention.
I know, I know. It was just that he acted sort of badass and didn't even mention that it was Annie who pointed this out to him.

Well we have a thread specifically created for discussing the manga so I'm not sure why we are still having issues. :/

I know, I know. It was just that he acted sort of badass and didn't even mention that it was Annie who pointed this out to him.

I guess so. I'm sure he recognizes that he didn't discover the original thought, kind of like how he mentioned at least that he learned a new move during training even if he didn't specifically mention it was from Annie. Perhaps the writer thought the conversation would have been less effective if Annie was pointed out instead of keeping the focus on Eren + what he's talking about I guess. I don't know, just putting down ideas.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If you're going to list manga spoilers in here, at least warn people. Otherwise, yes - there is the dedicated thread.

Kinyou

I guess so. I'm sure he recognizes that he didn't discover the original thought, kind of like how he mentioned at least that he learned a new move during training even if he didn't specifically mention it was from Annie. Perhaps the writer thought the conversation would have been less effective if Annie was pointed out instead of keeping the focus on Eren + what he's talking about I guess. I don't know, just putting down ideas.
You're probably right and it's not like it's really an issue for me. Just thought it was a little funny.

Makoto

The whole recruitment and training then being thrust into battle angle?
I was moreover talking about the zero sense of camaraderie. The lack of good, likeable characters. The fact that too many of the recruits want nothing to do with actually fighting the titans. This is the complete opposite of Band of Brothers.

Coconut

Banned
The following are not entirely similar to each other or From the New World, but they all excel at creating an uneasy atmosphere and have writing which is not dumbed down.

Angel's Egg
Boogiepop Phantom
Gankutsuou
Ghost in the Shell (Oshii film)
Mononoke
Mushishi
Serial Experiments Lain
Flowers of Evil

What was that show on adult swim with the roller blading kid who murdered people with a bat?

I actually liked how that reflects on how REEL people decide to join the military.

Many people who I know join the military not because they want to protect their nation or fight but ... because they want the benefits that doing so will give them. Tuition, money, skill training ... most people I know well enough to talk to about WHY they joined/ are joining do so for those reasons. And the one who isn't doing it for tuition is doing it for skill training + finding direction and stability in his future.

If I'm recognizing these scenes right then the stuff that took place in the trailer with the action bits is the next episode. I think it's safe to say there will be
a quite a few rookie deaths in the next couple of episodes.

You're probably right and it's not like it's really an issue for me. Just thought it was a little funny.

Oh, I understand. Sorry if I was being a bit of a killjoy.

I actually liked how that reflects on how REEL people decide to join the military.

Many people who I know join the military not because they want to protect their nation or fight but ... because they want the benefits that doing so will give them. Tuition, money, skill training ... most people I know well enough to talk to about WHY they joined/ are joining do so for those reasons. And the one who isn't doing it for tuition is doing it for skill training + finding direction and stability in his future.

Yeah, I mean no one really wants to fight these things it seems except for Eren. The others just want to secure a safe position for themselves for the most part. It's a bit of a contrast compared to other shows where you might have a bunch of people who have no/little fear fighting creatures larger than they are.

B.O.O.M

An official thread for one of the most anime ever and one of the best manga ever...I am starting to really like the offtopic section of Gaf

Jex

You know, there are plenty of mysteries in this series, but I can't imagine that the answers to the questions I have are going to be particularly satisfying. I speak, of course, as one who hasn't read the manga, for those who have it must be odd to see people speculating about such things.

I really hope this isn't the kind of work where the premise and core concept isn't the only good part of the story.

You know, there are plenty of mysteries in this series, but I can't imagine that the answers to the questions I have are going to be particularly satisfying. I speak, of course, as one who hasn't read the manga, for those who have it must be odd to see people speculating about such things.

I really hope this isn't the kind of work where the premise and core concept isn't the only good part of the story.

I'm sure like everyone else, there will be some answers you like and some you don't. Whether the latter ruins the series for you is obviously going to vary from person to person.

At least for me, there's more going for the story than just the hook, but I love the characters and their actions, which some people here are already split on.

Could you recommend anything with grown up characters who don't get embarassed by the mere possibility of any romance? Who deal with mature themes that are usually hinted at in anime's but never actually explored?

I feel like this show isn't really fulfilling it's potential. It could be so much more. I'd love to see how the live action movie pans out.

Read everything by Inio Asano and Kengo Hanazawa.

Kiryu

How long do you think the gifs of the aired episode to be considered as "not spoiler anymore"?

cause is this too spoilery?
tumblr_mlz9u2ZJA61sp5yuho1_500.gif

Kite

I'm liking the anime a lot better than the manga; it is more coherent without the constant flashbacks, the artwork is cleaner/easier to understand, and the anime version of Eren is far less self-righteously annoying than my mental version from reading. I'm really hoping this turns out to be one of the few cases where the adaptation is superior than the source material because the manga is veering hard into stupid territory. By all means please have some anime original material.

Subitai

Ah, free members. I don't know what their time-frame is in regards to that. As soon as they offered me 1080p on my PS3 with no commercials, I was sold. My bad.

Looks like it won't be up for free users until May 5th.
See you went and got my hopes up for people I'm trying to get into the series. lol

Kiryu

Heh, Sorry. I'm paying $6.95/month for the anime package, and it's been well worth it based on my experiences so far.
Well Am I bad person if I don't watch it on crunchyroll or funanimation cause I watch it like free...

Arrgghhh Yah I see yer land of free things!

Yeah, I'ma Pirate. I plan to buy Shingeki no Kyojin dvd set when it comes to America. Sword Art Online hasn't come to America yet and Shingeki no Kyojin is like "Next SAO" anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom