• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velti

Neo Member
I'm actually not SUPER impressed so far, and Eren is getting on my nerves. EP 3 was a cliched, money saving snooze-fest. They keep bringing up the same damn themes, and some of the dialogue/behavior is just plain retarded*. Maybe the latter is just the fault of the translation...

Overall, I feel like the writing could be much tighter, but at least the last part of ep IV seemed promising. It's funny, b/c the first ep was a great hook and this is such an intriguing premise, but DAMN, the execution so far is so freaking generic. The only characters I really feel attached to at this point are Sasha and Connie. Mikasa seems neat, but mostly boring. Very little agency.

*"Wow I just had a crazy dream about my dad and I woke up with his key on my chest, which I am 100% certain I saw him leave with. NOTHING STRANGE ABOUT THAT NOPE TIME FOR BREAKFAST."

"Look guys it's Full Metal Jacket except for these guise b/c THEY'RE EMO AND IT SHOWS ON THEIR FACES. And we're going to talk about it, b/c you the viewer are too stupid to understand what you're seeing. Also they all have the same expression."

"Why are you helping her durrr what do you stand to gain durrr I'M COLD HEARTED NURRR IF I HELP HER TO BED SHE'LL BE IN MY DEBT AND WILL SURELY HONOR THAT HERRRRP" You're helping her into bed, you tool, not saving her life. Is this chick supposed to be some kind of bamf? Because I'm not impressed.

"I SHALL CHANNEL MY INNER SHONEN HERO AND BALANCE THIS STUPID THING THROUGH SHEAR WILL POWER PBBTTHHH and we're going to take 75% of the episode to do thisssss" Good job, Erin, you're such a special snowflake! Everyone pays attention to you and your crazy eyes. /bilebilebilebilebile

I just... I just hope I'm wrong. If I have to hear one more damn speech from Erin, I'm going to punch through my computer screen.

duckroll

You basically described the manga, and the reasons why it's a huge phenomenon in Japan. It has a great hook, it seems unique, and it attracts the attention of people from the start - then it uses the same shounen tropes and character development to drive itself. The writing is pretty awful in the manga too, and it only gets worse. It's a mystery-hook sort of shounen series, so people keep reading because OMG THERE ARE MYSTERIES UNRESOLVED! Just like Lost. Well, at least it's entertaining. Lol. :p

You basically described the manga, and the reasons why it's a huge phenomenon in Japan. It has a great hook, it seems unique, and it attracts the attention of people from the start - then it uses the same shounen tropes and character development to drive itself. The writing is pretty awful in the manga too, and it only gets worse. It's a mystery-hook sort of shounen series, so people keep reading because OMG THERE ARE MYSTERIES UNRESOLVED! Just like Lost. Well, at least it's entertaining. Lol. :p

Yeah I agree with every word here. The manga is even worse because the art sucks.

Every character is troperific. Tons of angst later on too, and not justifiable angst either.

Cloudy

Banned

Wish the manga had nicer art but I have to read it now

MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS
I like the LOST comparison. There are so many mysteries and they haven't been explained. We still don't know what the objectives are for the Titans. It just strings you along offering up SURPRISES and TWISTS that don't amount to anything.

Velti

Neo Member

1352468455851.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- /vader

Sonfoa... HNGGGGGG!! I just... I just want a GOOD new show that takes pride in itself... is that so much to ask?! UGGGGGGH. I guess I'll keep watching but... COME ON. Maybe I'll watch Steins Gate. That's supposed to be good, right?

I guess I've just been too spoiled by Tron: Uprising. (Tightest writing I've seen in a long time. With the exception of eps II and III, but even then they still contribute to plot and character development.)

Go_Ly_Dow

1352468455851.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- /vader

Sonfoa... HNGGGGGG!! I just... I just want a GOOD new show that takes pride in itself... is that so much to ask?! UGGGGGGH. I guess I'll keep watching but... COME ON. Maybe I'll watch Steins Gate. That's supposed to be good, right?

I guess I've just been too spoiled by Tron: Uprising. (Tightest writing I've seen in a long time. With the exception of eps II and III, but even then they still contribute to plot and character development.)

Ask for recommendations in the main thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547632&page=53

Plenty of great shows over the last 5 years that you may have missed.

Putting Tron: Uprising on some kind of writing pedestal seems odd to me if you can't enjoy shounen.

LogicStep

Well, I love Naruto, Bleach, and Hunter x Hunter so I don't really care about these tropes or generic things you guys keep talking about. So far, the anime has been amazing for me. I can't complain about anything. I just sit there and take it all in. :) I really do want to know where these assholes keep beaming down from, like wtf? Just randomly they appear and why did they make such a strong push and then stopped for 5 years? This show is driving me nuts, I need more awesome action! It would be pretty weird though that they never managed to make progress but now these kids are gonna start killing titans? I mean, I'm assuming they are going to, could be wrong.

Dennis

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 3 - weak episode. Nothing much happened and the animation seemed sparse and lazy. Guess this is that potato girl people keep talking about. Her gimmick is that she is hungry all the time.

(cross post)

trixx

Can someone explain to me where the Titan came from, I wasn't paying too much attention. It seemed weird that the Titan came out of no where no one was able to spot/hear it approaching

Velti

Neo Member
Putting Tron: Uprising on some kind of writing pedestal seems odd to me if you can't enjoy shounen.

Because unlike most shows, Tron: Uprising has superior writing and character development that subverts a lot of tropes. (Also gorgeous art design/animation/fights/music.)

There's nothing inherently wrong with enjoying "generic" shounen, but I personally don't want to waste my time and emotions on it.

kewlmyc

Best OP of the season.

Edit: DTL...

The names should be Rivaille and the other screen at the top... pretty sure it's Jean, not John. lol "official" subs.

Easily. Too bad the single doesn't come out till June.

This anime is great, it's been a while since I anticipated an anime so much every week. In fact, this is a pretty great season all around, so many promising anime. It's a shame /a/ spoiled me on all the plot twist. Still looking to shit hitting the fan next episode.

Cloudy

Banned
Can someone explain to me where the Titan came from, I wasn't paying too much attention. It seemed weird that the Titan came out of no where no one was able to spot/hear it approaching

It seems the red ones travel via lightning

Makoto

I'm still wondering how this is anything like Band of Brothers (because it's not and will not be) or is the OP subtitle just part of the trend of trying to hook non-anime watchers into watching anime? I guess it's the latter.

Erigu

MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS
I like the LOST comparison. There are so many mysteries and they haven't been explained. We still don't know what the objectives are for the Titans. It just strings you along offering up SURPRISES and TWISTS that don't amount to anything.
While I agree that the central mysteries are still mostly intact and their resolution (if there is one) might well end up being quite disappointing or even downright nonsensical, the big "twist reveals" we've had so far feel like they've been planned ahead of time, which is a significant difference from Lost and its constant careless asspulls.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm still wondering how this is anything like Band of Brothers (because it's not and will not be) or is the OP subtitle just part of the trend of trying to hook non-anime watchers into watching anime? I guess it's the latter.
The whole recruitment and training then being thrust into battle angle?

Because unlike most shows, Tron: Uprising has superior writing and character development that subverts a lot of tropes. (Also gorgeous art design/animation/fights/music.)

There's nothing inherently wrong with enjoying "generic" shounen, but I personally don't want to waste my time and emotions on it.

Trope subversion is not inherently superior. Besides, this is a pretty damn big subversion of shounen tropes in the first place. It's definitely not generic.

While I agree that the central mysteries are still mostly intact and their resolution (if there is one) might well end up being quite disappointing or even downright nonsensical, the big "twist reveals" we've had so far feel like they've been planned ahead of time, which is a significant difference from Lost and its constant careless asspulls.

Well, yeah, besides that big difference. Although
the twists we get end up falling flat because although we didn't know what was coming, the characters in the manga do. The Colossal and Armored titan reveals are a good example of that.

Well, I love Naruto, Bleach, and Hunter x Hunter so I don't really care about these tropes or generic things you guys keep talking about. So far, the anime has been amazing for me. I can't complain about anything. I just sit there and take it all in. :) I really do want to know where these assholes keep beaming down from, like wtf? Just randomly they appear and why did they make such a strong push and then stopped for 5 years? This show is driving me nuts, I need more awesome action! It would be pretty weird though that they never managed to make progress but now these kids are gonna start killing titans? I mean, I'm assuming they are going to, could be wrong.

I thought the anime hasnt been tackling the typical tropes of the genre that its other popular series use, or at least in my opinion its ignoring all the ones I love...

Durask

Yeah I agree with every word here. The manga is even worse because the art sucks.

Every character is troperific. Tons of angst later on too, and not justifiable angst either.

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one who thought that the art in the manga is subpar.

It is reasonably entertaining though.

duckroll

The art in the manga gets better as it goes along. Keep in mind this is the first manga by the author. Dunno if anyone actually expected it to be as successful as it is.

Velti

Neo Member
Trope subversion is not inherently superior. Besides, this is a pretty damn big subversion of shounen tropes in the first place. It's definitely not generic.

I didn't say it was. I was saying the writing itself is superior, by my reckoning. I don't have any real interest in arguing my point, but none of Titan's developments so far have struck me as anything special. That doesn't seem to stop people from enjoying it, though. If the action is good enough, maybe I'll make it a guilty pleasure.

Like Gundam Wing. Awww yiss~

Enjoyed episode 4, especially the last few minutes. I've really only liked anime like Death Note previously so I'm glad that I'm getting into this.

Was thinking of picking up the Manga, is it good and is it quite far ahead of the show? Based on some posts in this thread, the manga seems like a big no-no.

Enjoyed episode 4, especially the last few minutes. I've really only liked anime like Death Note previously so I'm glad that I'm getting into this.

Was thinking of picking up the Manga, is it good and is it quite far ahead of the show? Based on some posts in this thread, the manga seems like a big no-no.

The manga is the same thing with uglier art. And the author does *story* *event* *flashback to before event for character development* > repeat.

The anime seems to understand that flashing back like that is dumb.

Still it is worth reading and is very very far ahead.

Pls don't kill my excitement. I love the anime so far.. :(

Minority. The manga still has a huge following with people anticipating every new chapter.

It does have some issues like jumping around in time and giving little indication something is a flashback until later, but for the most part, it's very well-liked. The art is rough in the beginning, which some people like as it makes the whole thing more unnerving.

People have been mixed on recent developments, but not enough to significantly effect the series popularity based on what I've seen.

duckroll

Time to make a poll in the manga spoilers thread to verify that.

Who cares? Without actual supporting critique and discussion, every individual opinion is worth as much as any other - practically nothing. Saying "I like it" means nothing. If 2 million people like something and 10,000 people dislike it, that doesn't mean one opinion is more "right". The actual statistic means nothing.

duckroll

I don't care if people complain about the manga but let's try to keep most of that discussion in the spoiler thread.

I think people complaining are going to be the least of the worries for this thread in the weeks to come. At some point some smartass is going to go "OH IF YOU LIKED THIS, YOU'LL LOVE WHAT'S COMING NEXT! *nudge nudge wink wink*" or people will reply to people who are only watching the anime speculating about stuff with actual manga spoilers. >_<

Who cares? Without actual supporting critique and discussion, every individual opinion is worth as much as any other - practically nothing. Saying "I like it" means nothing. If 2 million people like something and 10,000 people dislike it, that doesn't mean one opinion is more "right". The actual statistic means nothing.

I can agree with that. But you never lose a chance to complain about the manga.

RangerBAD

I think people complaining are going to be the least of the worries for this thread in the weeks to come. At some point some smartass is going to go "OH IF YOU LIKED THIS, YOU'LL LOVE WHAT'S COMING NEXT! *nudge nudge wink wink*" or people will reply to people who are only watching the anime speculating about stuff with actual manga spoilers. >_<

It's like watching someone open up a present.

Permanently A

Pls don't kill my excitement. I love the anime so far.. :(

It starts really strong and unique and then slows down a bit and some developments are polarizing. In my opinion the biggest issue with the series is that it keeps stringing you along, it makes you think that answers are right around the corner and then it doesn't deliver. So we literally have several unsolved mysteries in the manga currently that we don't know if/when we'll ever get an answer to.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think the manga's art is pretty awful, and that's a major wall for me. I find it hard to read comics of any kind where the art sucks. Knowing it's the mangaka's first work makes a lot of sense, and I've heard it gets a lot better but it's hard to stay with it when there are other great manga out there with fantastic art.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No depth or nuance to any of the characters. Angsty emo boy lead, emotionless badass protector girl, "I'll try my best lol!" blonde kid. There is nothing beyond the single notes of these characterizations. Protag boy continues to alternate between shaky-eyed outburst and running away crying...every...episode.

There are personality attributes and then there is not actually acting in any way like a human being.

The character writing's awful, the world building doesn't have a whole lot going on beyond the initial premise and the same concepts keep getting repeated (military police inner area safety; not enough food; titans are a threat) over and over without adding any additional layers to the picture.

All it has is the hook. Titans, last stand of humanity, awesome grapple things.

kurahador

The manga is the same thing with uglier art. And the author does *story* *event* *flashback to before event for character development* > repeat.

The anime seems to understand that flashing back like that is dumb.

Still it is worth reading and is very very far ahead.

Typically seinen genre does that.

SnK seems to bounce around between being a shonen and seinen.

kurahador

It's a demographic, not a genre. SnK is shounen because it is serialized in a shounen magazine. That's all there is to it.

I know it's a demographic term, but content/storytelling-wise that's how it is. SnK gore seems too much for your typical shonen for instance.

Okay...now I'm anxious to see how the anime will handle all the gory scenes.

I know it's a demographic term, but content/storytelling-wise that's how it is. SnK gore seems too much for your typical shonen for instance.

Certain series in Shounen Champion and Champion Red are a thousand times gorier than anything I've seen in seinen. They're meaningless terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom