• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I asked myself that question earlier and I'm not sure. Maybe make it less exaggerated and less often? I don't think there's an easy fix (especially if people aren't as bugged by it as I am). To be clear, I'm not trying to attack something people like in here.

It's okay if you attack something I like. I'm willing to engage in an even-handed discussion about it. I actually think one thing that hurts the legitimacy of their reaction is that you don't see the gore they do. The manga is real gnarly, and I think what appears in the manga would help to corroborate their reaction.

They obviously can't do that, but that may be where some of the dissonance comes from for you.

duckroll

Attack on Titan is moe! ^_^

qfIKkay.jpg

DrBo42

It's okay if you attack something I like. I'm willing to engage in an even-handed discussion about it. I actually think one thing that hurts the legitimacy of their reaction is that you don't see the gore they do. The manga is real gnarly, and I think what appears in the manga would help to corroborate their reaction.

They obviously can't do that, but that may be where some of the dissonance comes from for you.

Maybe. The only time I felt it was necessary is EP 7 (I think)
when we see Eren torn apart and swallowed
. That brings me to an interesting thing done in the show. Cut-away shots. They cut-away many times before a character death or scene of gore for what seems to be mostly fresh characters (so far) that we have no real connection to. Then EP 7 happens and it's right in our face. Pretty interesting choice.

Jigolo

All caught up. All I can say is holy shit, can't wait to see more. I have noticed that the animation has gotten a bit worse, but nothing I didn't expect.

I NEED TO KNOW HOW EREN GOT THE KEY AND WHAT THAT DREAM MEANT, BLAH

This. Believe me people some of the hate is very justified. You'll see. . .lol. But honestly I'm really enjoying this adaptation more than the manga.

Really? I feel the opposite. I just started reading the comic and I like it way more. I think the comic medium fits the storytelling better; in the book the melodrama isn't so grating, and the time jumps are not so jarring.

Daingurse

Really? I feel the opposite. I just started reading the comic and I like it way more. I think the comic medium fits the storytelling better; in the book the melodrama isn't so grating, and the time jumps are not so jarring.

I enjoy the manga myself, but there are some true mindfuck moments. Anime only watchers are in for a show!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ep 8

Not surprised, saw it coming. Some nice fights for the episode.
This was the first time I really felt impacted by the still shots. Next ep looks dull, so I'm not that excited for it.

Loona

So will the version 2.0 include titans being attacked? Cool mechanic to implement into minecraft though

I figure Minecraft fans would be more likely to go with giant creepers, but what do I know.

Why would you post this >.<

What's wrong with some underrepresented female builds?

I wonder if Annie abs compare to that, she seems like the more accomplished athlete - regardless of how the characters where ranked in their training, Annie showed her skills pretty eloquently without any special gear. Also, she's the best girl and didn't mess up in the latest episode, unlike potato girl.

massoluk

Banned
Hmmm having known what happened later in the manga, this episode shows me a lot of foreshadowing I wouldn't have noticed before.

I've seen up through episode 7. I like this show, but man, some of the standard shounen trappings annoy me, especially the "tell, don't show" elements of the character's monologues and soliloquies and the ridiculous melodrama of a lot of scenes- especially in the first episode, where they present the woman with his son's arm. That was a really well-done, heart-wrenching scene, and then the scout (I can't remember if he was named) breaks down in sorrow, with all the wind rushing around like he's turning into an angst super-saiyan, and the scene is instantly ruined. I actually started laughing at the woman's face once that fucking angst wind started blowing.

Also, if they're going where I think they're going in episode 8 with the
Abnormal Titan? Lame. LAAAAAMMMMEEEEE. I so thought this was going to be Mami Tomoe 2.0, and then the really obvious hints in episode 7 rolled around and I just went : /

Finally saw ep8. Bit bummed.
I figured Erin wouldn't be dead (if they hadn't had him save Armin in the way he did, seeing Erin swallowed might have felt more 'permanent') but I'm still disappointed. Having him die and Mikasa taking his place as the main character would have been an interesting direction as Mikasa is far more compelling (especially with the weight of Erin's death), though it always seemed too interesting to be something that'd actually stick.

The show hasn't lost me or anything, though. I just hope it finds some more interesting situations (character-wise) to put our heroes in now that this one has been used up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finally saw ep8. Bit bummed.
I figured Erin wouldn't be dead (if they hadn't had him save Armin in the way he did, seeing Erin swallowed might have felt more 'permanent') but I'm still disappointed. Having him die and Mikasa taking his place as the main character would have been an interesting direction as Mikasa is far more compelling (especially with the weight of Erin's death), though it always seemed too interesting to be something that'd actually stick.

The show hasn't lost me or anything, though. I just hope it finds some more interesting situations (character-wise) to put our heroes in now that this one has been used up.

I feel the opposite. While Mikasa is a very compelling character, I think it would have been a total waste to do all that character development for Eren, and then have him die 5 episodes in. Maybe I'm just a sucker for shounen, but I feel like it would be a waste to have a character die after he tries harder than everyone else, and never goes PTSD. I suppose his death could have just served as the motivator for everyone else, but I'm not sure I would have liked that as much.

I think this just opens up for the chance to have both Mikasa and Eren shine. Mikasa shines as the naturally talented female protag, and Eren gets to
be the Hulk
. I'm cool with that.

kirblar

I feel the opposite. While Mikasa is a very compelling character, I think it would have been a total waste to do all that character development for Eren, and then have him die 5 episodes in. Maybe I'm just a sucker for shounen, but I feel like it would be a waste to have a character die after he tries harder than everyone else, and never goes PTSD. I suppose his death could have just served as the motivator for everyone else, but I'm not sure I would have liked that as much.

I think this just opens up for the chance to have both Mikasa and Eren shine. Mikasa shines as the naturally talented female protag, and Eren gets to
be the Hulk
. I'm cool with that.
I'm not sure how much to tag, so Ep8 spoiler I guess?
I liked that everyone else was forced to confront things and exhibit personal agency/grow as people in his absence. (My fear is that after Ep8, it'll go back to a more singular focus on Eren.)

Chavelo

Holy shit... holy shit. HOLY SHIT! Just started to watch this anime, up to episode 7. Was loving it so far, hyping it up to all hell on FB and twitter...

and then THAT part popped up on episode 7...

ilBQfB5HDBCuc.gif

BIGWORM

Holy shit... holy shit. HOLY SHIT! Just started to watch this anime, up to episode 7. Was loving it so far, hyping it up to all hell on FB and twitter...

and then THAT part popped up on episode 7...

ilBQfB5HDBCuc.gif

Not trying to derail, but what major is that from? Hilarious reaction.

be the Hulk
. I'm cool with that.

Same here

Maybe if they built up the other characters equally would be one thing, but I was one of those who was never annoyed at Eren's bitching (had good reason) so to see him get
****SPOILERS*** swallowed was shocking, awesome, and heart breaking
all at the same time

****I SAID SPOILERS*** glad he's back, and that he actually got some Titan kills even if he cheated a little

Ikael

be the Hulk
. I'm cool with that.

I feel that such a thing would have prooved that the author had actual balls and a vision of his own rather than trying to pandering to increasingly insular anime conventions. The character development doesn't "go to waste"; for it would have fullfilled its purpouse: to make the audience feel attached to a character so they could be more devastated, and to show that Titans are actually dangerous: feel courageous and empowered? Get eaten in a grissly maner, no plot armour for you. Other series with far more ambition did it sucessfully (Madoka, Walking Dead and GoT comes to mind as in series don't afraid to gut their cast of characters).

dramatis

I feel that such a thing would have prooved that the author had actual balls and a vision of his own rather than trying to pandering to increasingly insular anime conventions. The character development doesn't "go to waste"; for it would have fullfilled its purpouse: to make the audience feel attached to a character so they could be more devastated, and to show that Titans are actually dangerous: feel courageous and empowered? Get eaten in a grissly maner, no plot armour for you. Other series with far more ambition did it sucessfully (Madoka, Walking Dead and GoT comes to mind as in series don't afraid to gut their cast of characters).
Isn't it possible to view what happened not so much as pandering to a typical convention but as a calculated part of the plot?

Ferrio

Banned
I just realized

If Eren is going to use his new ability, he's going to have to let himself get killed every time.... that's fucked up. Most gruesome sentai transformation ever.

Dali

be the Hulk
. I'm cool with that.

Disagree. Eren could jave served as a Kamina type character and cemented both the idea that a beloved character can die but at the same time given balls to the rest of the limp-dicks he left behind. Just as Kamina's death stung in Gurren Lagann, so too would have Eren's, but in the long run the war-weathered crew would have been better as a result and the show would have been more interesting.

I just hope the rest of the show doesn't boil down to Eren's unbreakable determination and
special ability to turn into or pilot or whatever he was doing to that titan
become humanity's last hope against the overwhelming power of the titans.

Dali

I just hope the rest of the show doesn't boil down to Eren's unbreakable determination and
special ability to turn into or pilot or whatever he was doing to that titan
become humanity's last hope against the overwhelming power of the titans.

I haven't read the manga but I have a strong feeling this is where it's going. The biggest bummer when I think about what could possibly happen in the future is
Eren turning into a mopey, emo, shithead, like Shinji, because people hate him.

DrBo42

I haven't read the manga but I have a strong feeling this is where it's going. The biggest bummer when I think about what could possibly happen in the future is
Eren turning into a mopey, emo, shithead, like Shinji, because people hate him.

Wasn't he like that regardless?

Dali

Wasn't he like that regardless?

Ummm... no? He was focused like a laser beam. He didn't feel sorry for himself and resented the assholes that weren't in training to murder titans. The only time he became a whiny bitch is when his goal of being a titan murderer was threatened. Contrast that to Shinji who is a little bitch by default.

DrBo42

Ummm... no? He was focused like a laser beam. He didn't feel sorry for himself and resented the assholes that weren't in training to murder titans. The only time he became a whiny bitch is when his goal of being a titan murderer was threatened. Contrast that to Shinji who is a little bitch by default.

I was referring to Shinji, probably should have made that more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom