• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

cromartie+1+freddie.jpg

lol, exact same reaction I had.

He was acting on instinct I presume.

Episode 9
It was quite good even though the yelling in the second half was getting on my nerves, the captain is such an annoying shit.

As Evilore rightfully pointed out, everyone yells in this series. For like... 60%+ of the characters there is no indoor voice.

Nibel

Episode 9

Neat:
+ Holy shit at dat tension at the end and that scumbag commander who would even let Mikasa die
+ Mid-transformation-Eren looked fucking awesome
+ The scene inside the Santa Claus titan with Eren was horrorfying; they really know how to nail the feeling
+ The full-transformation was cool as well! Especially the arm that came out of Santa Claus' mouth
+ The recon dude in the beginning knew how to fuck shit up

Nah:
- Recon girl was fucking annoying; typical stupid animu character that I don't like - being a recon and having the intelligence of a 12 year old?
- The whole scene with her and the recon dude had some bad "Hey this is a SHOUNEN!"-music that didn't quite fit the rest
- There were indeed some stills - never noticed them before reading this thread, dammit

On a scale of 0 to 10 melons, I'll give this episode 8

nitrowolf2

Neo Member
Episode 9

Neat:
+ Holy shit at dat tension at the end and that scumbag commander who would even let Mikasa die
+ The scene inside the Santa Claus titan with Eren was horrorfying; they really know how to nail the feeling
+ The full-transformation was cool as well! Especially the arm that came out of Santa Claus' mouth

Nah:
- Recon girl was fucking annoying; typical stupid animu character that I don't like - being a recon and having the intelligence of a 12 year old?
- The whole scene with her and the recon dude had some bad "Hey this is a SHOUNEN!"-music that didn't quite fit the rest
- There were indeed some stills - never noticed them before reading this thread, dammit

Why aren't you scoring this on a Potato Level?

RangerBAD

Episode 9

Neat:

Nah:

Ironically,
Recon girl (Hanji Zoe/girl with glasses) is one of the smartest people in the series she just has a weird personality (which I like).

Why aren't you scoring this on a Potato Level?

tumblr_mls8pgKsEd1rgz9z1o1_500.gif

...you're kidding, right? Maybe you're just young.

Mushi-shi
Cowboy Bebop (oblig)
FLCL
Utena
A few of the Gundam series (Wing, War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team)
Paranoia Agent
Baccano
Durarara!
TT Gurren Lagann
Haruhi Suzumiya..

And then some ancient ones. Anyway, the list is long. It sounds like this studio has just been plagued with poor production.

Uh what. Utena was well animated? That show was like 70% stock footage.

edit: Did someone really say that recon girl
Hanji is dumb? Wut... she's the only one in the series besides Armin who even bothers to think for a fucking second about anything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Uh what. Utena was well animated? That show was like 70% stock footage.

edit: Did someone really say that recon girl
Hanji is dumb? Wut... she's the only one in the series besides Armin who even bothers to think for a fucking second about anything.

:lol
Hanji is the best female character imo. She just likes science a bit too much.

Sarquiss_

Another great episode. Loved how they built up the tension and showed the fear and hatred that everyone had towards Eren. Even Armin looked scared of him.

It was awesome to see Eren take charge and protect his friends. It shows real growth in his character. Cannot wait to see what happens next.

Akito

As Evilore rightfully pointed out, everyone yells in this series. For like... 60%+ of the characters there is no indoor voice.
Yes but (thank god) they usually don't have the time to yelling at each others for half the episode. The manga never bothered me in this regard, one of the few times when having no sound is actually an advantage :lol

And yeah, Hanji is amazing, her first impression might not be the best but her time will come.

cj_iwakura

Yes but (thank god) they usually don't have the time to yelling at each others for half the episode. The manga never bothered me in this regard, one of the few times when having no sound is actually an advantage :lol

And yeah, Hanji is amazing, her first impression might not be the best but her time will come.

Says you, that first impression was amazing.

Episode 9 – Where the Left Arm Went - The Battle for Trost (5)
tumblr_mnqstgnm0e1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Certainly wasn't left feeling happy by episode's end nor even with the preview.
please escape to the basement and get a clean slate, I would really want Eren to join back with Jean and co and continue going on missions, not be renegades and what not

Levi is a good character (though not as great and amazing as Jean) and seems like he has tons of potential, having the same belief system as Eren, so they seem like they could, if they ever meet up, be interesting leads to follow around. The va sounds like Hibiki Kuze (DeSu2) and a touch of Erecpyle (Ixion Saga DT). Additionally, the megane vibrant girl seemed like an excellent addition to the cast, hope she stays relevant as shes so far, along with Annie, in the lead for best female characters in this anime.

I think the episode was just decent at best, it did the expected and what not. I still hate one of the underlying concepts of it and doubt I will ever like it assuming it is used again and again
The powerup process to become a titan looked really nice with the yellow glowing forcefield region and the faux lightning of sorts and thunder. However, as I previously stated before the powerup to become titan just is awful. I dislike when characters become huge towering non human things and such as it is just impossible to relate to and just looks disgusting. Like previously with Eren he looked bad and here he looked even worse, all that exposed bones and flesh. Who would want that? At the end of the day, Ill probably be supporting more of the standard human characters not blessed with these abilities as it is just plain impressive seeing tiny human defeat towering giant versus giant defeating other stuff, etc

Out of all the special stuff I've read in this thread, this is the worst.

Hey I really liked Utena!

Nah. Mikasa owns.

Mikasa sucks. She is the typical shounen "here is a strong female character!" who is actually not strong at all. She has very little emotion or personality, because that is seemingly a requirement to be considered a strong female in shounen anime. Her entire life revolves around a man who she wants to bone. Literally every thought and action is taken with him in mind. So while she protects him and kicks ass, she's really kind of pathetic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey I really liked Utena!
Aside from a few episodes (see Nanami's) Utena is a very consistent show. I will admit it's not the most sakuga anime out there, since its strength relies more on the excellent layout composition and strong direction, but the stock footage is of very high quality. If anything, its heavy reliance of that material would make it repetitive, not badly animated.

EDIT: And, as everyone already knows, the movie is a visual spectacle.

Aside from a few episodes (see Nanami's) Utena is a very consistent show. I will admit it's not the most sakuga anime out there, since its strength relies more on the excellent layout composition and strong direction, but the stock footage is of very high quality. If anything, its heavy reliance of that material would make it repetitive, not badly animated.

EDIT: And, as everyone already knows, the movie is a visual spectacle.

I suppose it is well animated stock footage. Though I guess I consider the heavy use of stock footage to be bad animation, though I guess that's not correct.

Now I want to rewatch the series. And I still haven't seen the movie. I dislike how they changed the character designs. Fuck movie Utena and Himemiya. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Now I want to rewatch the series. And I still haven't seen the movie. I dislike how they changed the character designs. Fuck movie Utena and Himemiya. :(
I don't know what to say about that. The change in design is merited, though.

And yeah, watch the movie. At the very least it will be an experience.

Akito

Mikasa sucks. She is the typical shounen "here is a strong female character!" who is actually not strong at all. She has very little emotion or personality, because that is seemingly a requirement to be considered a strong female in shounen anime. Her entire life revolves around a man who she wants to bone. Literally every thought and action is taken with him in mind. So while she protects him and kicks ass, she's really kind of pathetic.
Well that's the thing, she appears to be the perfect soldier, kicks ass and gets shit done but underneath she's just broken as fuck. She would be boring as hell if she had a normal personality and was overpowered as she is right now. Isn't that why popular characters tend to have some kind of flaw, see potato girl or Hanji in this case?
And I don't think her character is that typical of a shounen series, most shounen manga/anime don't even have a female characters who can keep up with their male counterparts power-wise.

Akito

Not at all... She's the most popular female character on the character poll (for the manga) and 3rd place overall.

IMO:
out of the girls: Mikasa > Hanji > Annie > potato girl
I'd swap the last two but overall that's the way to go.

Cool promotional poster for the DVD/BD, can't wait to see how well those'll do, preorder numbers are insane from what I've heard.

i3h5rszZuagwS.jpg

Loona

Glad to see a sneak peak at Hanji, she's the best - IIRC she gets introduced later in manga, but I get the feeling whomever scripted this part twisted her scientific curiosity and enthusiasm in a bit of a silly direction - those weren't the kind of circumstances I recall seeing her getting all talkative to titans, but on the other hand they showed off her competence in the field to balance things, which like as with the manga, is addressed later as something or a backstory bit.
Basically, her interest in abnormal titans was spot-on, getting all chatty with one she's attacking, however, felt off and unnecessary.
There's still plenty of scenes ahead where they can do her more justice, at least.

I couldn't care less about Levi, but for whatever reason people really seem to like him, so he got extra early exposure too, whoop-tee-doo... all the talking during his kills didn't seem to quite fit with what I recall of him.

I liked how they handled the mood through colors and music when Armin and Mikasa realized what situation they were in near the end of the episode.

sn00zer

SO Ive been watching this...and I dont really watch a lot of anime...but what the fuck is with the violence in this show....its pretty fucking gratuitous.... its odd having a show that jokes about character always eating food and farting and then have another scene where a guy blows his brains out....

I like the story, but the fucked up violence is a huge turn off

duckroll

Episode 9

That was alright I guess. Some cool action, some cool transformation animation, lots of stills. Still hate the soundtrack. Sawano can blow me honestly. Never liked his work. Way too pseudo-Hollywood-trying-too-hard style of music for me, and the vocal BGMs all suck. Hagi is pretty moe. <3

Dali

Episode 9

Neat:

Nah:

I think you totally misread her. As someone who hasn't read the manga she comes across as accomplished but not a sourpuss like Levi. Ditty is the facade she wears but it's obvious there's more to her.

Episode 9 – Where the Left Arm Went - The Battle for Trost (5)
tumblr_mnqstgnm0e1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Certainly wasn't left feeling happy by episode's end nor even with the preview.
please escape to the basement and get a clean slate, I would really want Eren to join back with Jean and co and continue going on missions, not be renegades and what not

Levi is a good character (though not as great and amazing as Jean) and seems like he has tons of potential, having the same belief system as Eren, so they seem like they could, if they ever meet up, be interesting leads to follow around. The va sounds like Hibiki Kuze (DeSu2) and a touch of Erecpyle (Ixion Saga DT). Additionally, the megane vibrant girl seemed like an excellent addition to the cast, hope she stays relevant as shes so far, along with Annie, in the lead for best female characters in this anime.

I think the episode was just decent at best, it did the expected and what not. I still hate one of the underlying concepts of it and doubt I will ever like it assuming it is used again and again
The powerup process to become a titan looked really nice with the yellow glowing forcefield region and the faux lightning of sorts and thunder. However, as I previously stated before the powerup to become titan just is awful. I dislike when characters become huge towering non human things and such as it is just impossible to relate to and just looks disgusting. Like previously with Eren he looked bad and here he looked even worse, all that exposed bones and flesh. Who would want that? At the end of the day, Ill probably be supporting more of the standard human characters not blessed with these abilities as it is just plain impressive seeing tiny human defeat towering giant versus giant defeating other stuff, etc
Dude it's now a
giant robot show. You're complaining about the gundam's design. Saying the titan form is unrelatable is like saying a giant mechanized robot isn't human enough. And I think the exposed bone and flesh was a result of taking a cannon blast.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man its too bad that the shows animation is a bit inconsistent at times. :/ Its funny though how many memes this thing has spun off already on niconico. lol Am curious as to why the west seems to be taking such a liking to this series though?

---

btw did anyone read this manga spinoff? Pretty hilarious stuff, do hope they put it in one of the bluray discs as extra animated content.

*also this post is an excuse to show off my nifty new temporary avatar lol. best character ever~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom