• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

Mini Review!

I85Ws1a.jpg

So I just marathoned all 13 episodes in a few days after not hearing anything about this before hand. It’s definitely a solid anime, but it’s absolutely not reaching its full potential just yet. The two other animes that I really love and got hooked on are Death Note and Monster, and I’m now hooked on this. Firstly the positives. The obvious is the intro. It’s freaking awesome and quite possible the bets intro for an anime I’ve ever seen! Need I say more? For the most part the show looks and sounds amazing. It’s inconsistent, but never anything really horrible for me. The first episode looked stunning and could have passed off as a movie. The setting and mystery involving the titans is good stuff too. And the actions scenes for the most part are really great! Oh, and Mikasa is awesome!

Now the negatives. Some of the characters are paper thin and just not interesting in the slightest. Hell I don’t even remember half of the cast’s names other than the main three and Sasha (potato girl). I couldn’t care less if most of them died. The script at times can be really off at times too. The biggest sin this commits though is the obvious one: the pacing. Sometimes the characters need to just shut the hell up! I don’t think it‘s anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be, but it still does sink the quality down. The speech episode was just bleh! I really hope we don’t have to wait long before we find out what’s in the basement. A few more interesting sub-plots would do wonders for the show too. I’d absolutely love for this to become a Lord of the Rings type journey for a few episodes with Eren and a few others setting out to reach his house by foot (perhaps they won’t have enough gas to fly so they’ll have to walk for the majority of the way?) They could really expand upon the lore. By the way, the still shots in some of the episodes actually doesn’t bother me.

Anyway, you can’t deny that quality is here, it’s just that a few things keep stopping this show from true greatness - it sadly fails somewhat in the execution. However, it’s got some very memorable moments like when Eren’s mother dies, the potato scene, the first battle with the titans, Mikasa willing to die by the titans and when
they celebrate when the boulder is placed my the broken wall
– just to name a few. I’ll definitely continue to watch this. For the first 13 episodes I’d give it a solid 8/10.

Overall its good stuff.

Good review. I agree and I'm also hooked on this. Can't wait to see what's in the basement and the recon corps!

Good review. I agree and I'm also hooked on this. Can't wait to see what's in the basement and the recon corps!

Yep, the whole basement plot has me very intrigued and more excited than anything else in the show at the moment. They've been building it up in the background for a while now.

Like I said, I just really hope they don't stretch it out. We should find out in no more than 2-3 episodes. Hope the pay off is good! I'm expecting to find out a lot more about the titans.

Mendrox

Yep, the whole basement plot has me very intrigued and more excited than anything else in the show at the moment. They've been building it up in the background for a while now.

Like I said, I just really hope they don't stretch it out. We should find out in no more than 2-3 episodes. Hope the pay off is good! I'm expecting to find out a lot more about the titans.

lol hopefully.

Episode 13 was good.

By the way, I reeeeeeeeeeally hope Eren gets to explore the outside world at some stage. That could potentially be really quite awesome with all the destruction around.

If they let something like that happened with a group of characters and focused on just those characters for a while it would do wonders for the quality of said characters.

Watch Kaiji if you want something else that's gripping, Tricky.
Kaiji you say?

9TjhsgB.gif

I'll look into it.

lol hopefully.

Episode 13 was good.

Yup...episode 13 was ace.

Cimarron

I really like this anime! Titans are creepy as hell! I was really enjoying it until...
Erin flash formed himself into a Titan. :^/
It just ruined the flavor of the show for me. I still like it a lot but that element just cheapened the plot imo.

That award goes to Cowboy Bebop.

As for the rest of the review, I agree with most of it. Nice one!

Confession time: I could never get into Cowboy Bebop. I've tried a few times but it never really grabbed me after 6 or so episodes. I can't deny that the show is the very definition of cool though.....

I'd say Cowboy Bebop has the coolest intro and Attack on Titan has the most epic intro. Both kick ass! By the way, someone the other day recommended me Black Lagoon. I might check that out.

Soriku

Confession time: I could never get into Cowboy Bebop. I've tried a few times but it never really grabbed me after 6 or so episodes. I can't deny that the show is the very definition of cool though.....

I'd say Cowboy Bebop has the coolest intro and Attack on Titan has the most epic intro. Both kick ass! By the way, someone the other day recommended me Black Lagoon. I might check that out.

I dropped Bebop at around the same time actually...

Oh and Black Lagoon is very good, but starts slow. It's episodic at first but then has actual arcs (by like ep 8 or 9?) and picks up dramatically. Dat Yakuza arc....

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just started watching this last night. It's the first anime series I've watched in like ten years, and I'm really enjoying it. I get sick of people yelling at each other when they could just as easily be nice and empathetic, but I guess that's the teenage angry male power fantasy shit going on.

Ten episodes in, and can't wait to watch more. I'm glad there's an active OT for it!

13:

Finally, some real action. Actually, the entire first half of this episode was pure action sequences. Yum.

Next week is the recap episode, sure would be nice if they got their production issues straightened out for the rest of the run after that.

So I caught up to 13, the glacial pace of the plot from 10-12 isn't as bad if you watch them all in one sitting. But it's still not good. And it's a damn shame too. 13 was of course pretty awesome. But as for what happened to Jean... I have no idea what happened actually. Maybe my internet stuttered and the stream froze on me? Because there were all of these places where only a still frame was shown, like of the blond girl's face, and then it would jump to all of the characters in another place. I really have no idea what happened in that sequence. I mean I know the end result, but no idea how it happened.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just started watching this last night. It's the first anime series I've watched in like ten years, and I'm really enjoying it. I get sick of people yelling at each other when they could just as easily be nice and empathetic, but I guess that's the teenage angry male power fantasy shit going on.

Ten episodes in, and can't wait to watch more. I'm glad there's an active OT for it!

Oh yes, shonen yelling is a pretty common trope.

So I caught up to 13, the glacial pace of the plot from 10-12 isn't as bad if you watch them all in one sitting. But it's still not good. And it's a damn shame too. 13 was of course pretty awesome. But as for what happened to Jean... I have no idea what happened actually. Maybe my internet stuttered and the stream froze on me? Because there were all of these places where only a still frame was shown, like of the blond girl's face, and then it would jump to all of the characters in another place. I really have no idea what happened in that sequence. I mean I know the end result, but no idea how it happened.

That part was so odd. I even went back while watching it to see if I missed anything, but nope, seems like it was just unfinished. -_-

What the hell was that? Wow. I thought my player glitched several times. Sad.

JulianImp

Regarding this week's Attack on Titan. I really hope that it's the worst recap episode ever produced - a hastily thrown together piece of junk that is so mangled it'll be thrown under the rug by the studio. Why? Because they could use that time to make the real upcoming episodes so much better.

I hope they recycle shots from previous episodes while replacing the audio, with the lowest possible amount of new scenes. That'd probably be the best way to allow artists and animators to catch up and avoid more purple brick scenes later on.

So far, the show has been amazing. The overwhelming feeling of despair and hopelessness got me hooked, as I was expecting something more akin to a typical shounen series. Even if the casualties mostly amount to people we barely get to meet before their deaths, it feels to me like they matter, and the remaining characters don't just shrug them off and move on like nothing relevant happened.

Heck, I really felt Armin's plight as he became the sole survivor of the 104th squad, with Eren dying in his stead. I thought Eren was, at best, stuck in the titan's body after that, so I found the human-titan plot to be quite unexpected. Luckily, it opens up many more interesting questions, so it didn't feel just like a cheap way to bring Eren back.

By the way, I think I've missed how Eren came into possession of his dad's basement key. I thought the time span from when Eren left the city by boat with Mikasa and Armin and when he woke up with the key hanging from his neck was quite short...

kirblar

By the way, I think I've missed how Eren came into possession of his dad's basement key. I thought the time span from when Eren left the city by boat with Mikasa and Armin and when he woke up with the key hanging from his neck was quite short...
You didn't miss it - there were some spliced quick-cut dream sequence flashbacks and then he woke up with it on w/ the other 2 kids.

Nibel

General anime question:

When studios release their stuff on DVDs/BDs, do they re-work some of their episodes? Like, could we get a AOT BD with some reworked scenes?

General anime question:

When studios release their stuff on DVDs/BDs, do they re-work some of their episodes? Like, could we get a AOT BD with some reworked scenes?

There's generally minimal touch-ups here and there like more detailed backgrounds and the occasional expanded animation for one or two short series of movements, but it's definitely not common for stuff to be completely redone.

Soma

General anime question:

Yeah usually anime studios will re-work, clean-up, and even change many details for scenes in anime for BDs/DVDs (SHAFT was pretty notorious for that in shows like Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari for example).

Wishful thinking is that this studio improve and rework certain scenes for Attack on Titan but I'm not getting my hopes up especially with their current scheduling issues.

So how many hours from now until the recap episode airs? The different time-zones confuses me! >__<

It really sucks that I’ve caught up and have to wait a week between the episodes now like everyone else.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Samurai Champloo is an underrated shout for extremely good intro. Not quite Bebop levels, but damn close.

Cwarrior

I dropped Bebop at around the same time actually...

Oh and Black Lagoon is very good, but starts slow. It's episodic at first but then has actual arcs (by like ep 8 or 9?) and picks up dramatically. Dat Yakuza arc....

Absolutely disgusting why did you have to remind me that arc it gave me cancer, rocks retarded logic and the idiotic dialogue I had to witness made me ill, rocks one of the worst protagonist to be ever created in an action anime/manga.

That arc made me want to leave my house go for a walk to find the nearest curb and smash my skull in till I could get the idiotic shit I had witnessed out of my mind.

Black lagoon has it's moments but each arc has an anticipating set up but it all turns into diarrhea or disappointment at best in later half of the arc.

If your going to watch it, watch the first half of each arc and avoid the later half at all cost but skip the tokyo/yakuza arc all together.

Eren >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rock

As much I don't care for Eren, at least he isn't anywhere near as bad as Rock.

wwm0nkey

Ah, I see, a little too late ^^

But yeah, really cool how you can do so much with so little. Gives me hope for an official game.

We will probably be stuck with the fan made games for awhile though but they are getting pretty good and will hopefully give them ideas about what to do in an official Attack on Titan game.

Velti

Neo Member
Regarding this week's Attack on Titan. I really hope that it's the worst recap episode ever produced - a hastily thrown together piece of junk that is so mangled it'll be thrown under the rug by the studio. Why? Because they could use that time to make the real upcoming episodes so much better.

I want this too, but only because it would be hilarious.

Soriku

Absolutely disgusting why did you have to remind me that arc it gave me cancer, rocks retarded logic and the idiotic dialogue I had to witness made me ill, rocks one of the worst protagonist to be ever created in an action anime/manga.

That arc made want to leave my house go for a walk to find the nearest curb and smash my skull in till I could get the idiotic shit I had witnessed out of my mind.

Black lagoon has it's moments but the each arc has an anticipating set up but it all turns into diarrhea or disappointment at best in later half of the arc.

If your going to watch it, watch the first half of each arc and avoid the later half at all cost but skip the tokyo/yakuza arc all together.

Eren >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rock

As much I don't care for Eren, at least he isn't anywhere near as bad as Rock.

Seriously? Rock is awesome and it's the best arc of BL by far.

Oh wow.....this is sounding quite promising. When are we getting the new intro by the way? Will it be shown with the recap episode or what?

My guess is the one right after the recap episode. That would be the beginning of the second half, and having a new theme song is their way of kinda starting fresh, so there you go.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh wow.....this is sounding quite promising. When are we getting the new intro by the way? Will it be shown with the recap episode or what?

Next week if we're lucky. Now the question is will the intro be complete or like Psycho-Pass in which we have to wait 8 weeks for a finished product?

Cwarrior

Seriously? Rock is awesome and it's the best arc of BL by far.

Saying anything positive about rock is one thing but saying the tokyo arc is the best of anything is like saying Anthrax is the best ice cream flavor.

None of them are as bad as that arc,there all above that.

If you had to pick the best arc they would be the sub-marine arc, first roberta arc and roberta blood trail ova arc or any other one.

Rock has the worst talk no jutsu logic the world has ever seen, even worse then toma from Index and that's saying something, every time he opens his mouth thousands or millions of viewers get dumber.

Daingurse

Went back and watched episodes 11&12, I can definitely understand the complains with these episodes. The animation padding was quite transparent, but they weren't really that offensive to me personally. I guess if you can stand DBZ pacing, you can deal with anything hahaha.

This series needs a fucking game soooo bad. I'd love to see Platinum tackle it because they could handle the flashy Spider Man antics well. From Software would also be interesting, bet they could capture dat sense of dread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom