• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want the animators to die?

They certainly had a good break from animating anything in the few episodes leading up to this week's.

Why do they have a schedule like this if they can't handle it? Is this just how it always is? Sounds like 12-episode seasons would be a better fit.

ash_ag

I just caught up to the most recent episode
which I suppose makes for the first arc
. I'm really, really impressed. This is some quality stuff. I'll be following the anime because I feel it deserves it, but I'm thinking of reading the manga up to the point for comparison's sake.

One questions. Since the manga is ongoing, what does "25-episodes adaptation" mean? I'm not asking for spoilers; but does this basically mean we'd have to wait for a sequel/second season for the continuation?

Jex

Wow I've never seen a show where it looks like they just forgot to put in entire scenes-thank god it only happened twice, and thank god the show is actually starting to move again.

It's not actually all that unusual although it is unusual for it to be quite this bad. It happened quite often in Evangelion, for examaple.

Dahbomb

Damn good episode, almost makes up for the previous few. I like how the main event was taken care of in the first half of the episode and the second half dealt with the aftermath. I almost expected for them to drag that shit out for the entirety of the episode.

Next week's recap episode means more budget spends on the money shots.

remnant

Banned
So, if I want to watch a dark anime with super powers or awesome action, which one? I really like Attack on Titans style and gore.

Watch the recent Berserk movies.

There isn't anything like this show out there right now, which is probably why it's so popular. The people have been starved.

Articalys

Heh.

Spoilers for the anime so far, I guess.

Also I learned that apparently the Pixiv tag for
Eren's titan form
(or at least one of the most popular tags for it) is
"Erengelion"

fanboi

Banned
Watch the recent Berserk movies.

There isn't anything like this show out there right now, which is probably why it's so popular. The people have been starved.

Thanks!

Started watching Fate/Zero and I really like it...

Love the animation and have very little static images.

so now we have hints that may be eren dad is also a titan ?

yep I've been suspecting that from the moment we saw flashbacks about eren's dad leaving secrets in the basement for him.

look at his dad's face and then look at the face of the colossal titan.

yep I've been suspecting that from the moment we saw flashbacks about eren's dad leaving secrets in the basement for him.

I hope that's not true. Mostly because I would have ruined another twist for myself if it were.

fanboi

Banned
Noo, don't watch the Berserk movies! Watch the original animation which is a low budget slideshow done right. The new movies (aside from backgrounds and the finale) look ugly and cut important plot.

And yeah, Fate/Zero is great.

Yeah, I had a discussion with a friend who have watched the orginal Berserker who said it was great (allthough animation is dated, but doesn't really matter to me).

Will continue watching Attack on Titan and Fate/Zero, then move to Berserker maybe.

Am I the only one that sees the similarities here?

T8Y8vm3.jpg
ggIM1ff.jpg

LogicStep

Wat? That'd be crazy. What could be his motivation if that's true? The colossal titan I mean.

Ashes

Banned
I don't understand why they've just built walls,and not gone underground. Good luck dumb giants trying to get underground.

Also find it ridiculously stupid, how ill disciplined everyone is military wise. One team gets inside a house, snipes them and just blinds these titans. They don't seem to instantly regenerate, so killing them should be easier for the two people who attack from behind. Job done.

I'm not really sure about the story anymore. This is what I have in mind so far
- Eren's dad has titan's secret hidden in his basement. If it's something that can save humanity, why didn't he reveal it to anybody else? I have the same idea with the others that Eren's dad or maybe the whole bloodline is titan and liquid injected into Eren is infact an extract from his dad blood. Eren might be a half-breed because his mom is human, hence he is incapable of awaken titan's power without some kind of stimulant.

Velti

Neo Member
I don't understand why they've just built walls,and not gone underground. Good luck dumb giants trying to get underground.

Also find it ridiculously stupid, how ill disciplined everyone is military wise. One team gets inside a house, snipes them and just blinds these titans. They don't seem to instantly regenerate, so killing them should be easier for the two people who attack from behind. Job done.

RIGHT?! Sonofabitch...

Hellix

Eren's father was just hiding in his underground basement the whole time!

But I think they seem ill disciplined because they all become frozen in fear when they see the titans. They train to fight against them, but I think those not in the Survey Corps never saw one in person until this current Trost incident.

Ryuji

Neo Member
Noo, don't watch the Berserk movies! Watch the original animation which is a low budget slideshow done right. The new movies (aside from backgrounds and the finale) look ugly and cut important plot.

i'm starting Fate/Stay night before Fate/Zero. bad idea?
since i've heard F/Z is much better than F/SN so i figured i may aswell watch the crap one first and then watch the better one :)

Nibel

Loved what they've showed in EP13 content-wise despite the 3 minutes recap of EP12, but the production flaws are fairly obvious in this episode and the way some scenes are cut and put together made no sense or wasn't "harmonic" like in previous episodes; some fight scenes though looked fucking excellent

I hope that they'll make good use of their extra-week

since i've heard F/Z is much better than F/SN so i figured i may aswell watch the crap one first and then watch the better one :)

It's meant to be watched that way. Gives more weight to the events in F/Z.
But yeah, the adaptation of F/SN is pretty bad and drawn out. I wish I had played the visual novel instead but when is that not the preferable method anyway.

Also, love your avatar. Strike rocks.

Tenck

Up until that point they hadn't known of a 50m Titan. What's stopping the 50m giant from digging a hole if they're underground?

Sadist

With all the hype surrounding, I decided to watch this.

I'm not much of a animé viewer, but I liked what I saw. That is all.

Guys I'm not too sure about these ads I'm getting here.

That's obviously a Colossal Titan. The text says "The secret to a perfect body! Get visible results fast! Look how..."
I think it's a pretty good body as well if you ignore the whole skinless thing.

Dali

If you're trying to make sense of things then ask why the special Titans don't just appear within the walls to begin with or how were they even able to build the walls since the Titans existed while they were being built.

remnant

Banned

Lies!!!

The animation in the new movies is great, and outside of one...maybe two things, you aren't missing much in terms of content from the old anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Really hard to say, Fate/Zero has connections to Fate/Stay Night that make much more sense seeing Stay Night first. On the other hand Zero is the prequel series, so you are going to get spoiled on quite a few events that happen in Zero, especially the ending part of the series.

why is there always so much recapping of the previous episode? 13 had like 3 minutes devoted to it

oh then you'd hate one piece. Gotta get through a 2-3 min opening. Then an intro that lasts about 2 mins that has to show off the crew and luffy and talk about how he's gonna become king of the pirates, and then another min or two that re-caps what happened in the previous episode. Its truly annoying.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
oh then you'd hate one piece. Gotta get through a 2-3 min opening. Then an intro that lasts about 2 mins that has to show off the crew and luffy and talk about how he's gonna become king of the pirates, and then another min or two that re-caps what happened in the previous episode. Its truly annoying.

Nothing is as bad at the sometimes 10 minute recaps found in the Bleach anime.

Nibel

If you're trying to make sense of things then ask why the special Titans don't just appear within the walls to begin with or how were they even able to build the walls since the Titans existed while they were being built.

Maybe the Titans spawned somewhere entirely else first and far away from where the walls are now?

And those Titans would have easy game if humanity was located underground; they could smash holes into the ground and there would be no way to close them

Lies!!!

The animation in the new movies is great, and outside of one...maybe two things, you aren't missing much in terms of content from the old anime.

You'd be missing one of the best anime soundtracks ever composed, a style that stays true to Kentaro Miura's Berserk, the Bonfire of dreams,
the whole arc of Griffith getting assassinated and him getting back at the queen for that
and a lot of other things they can not fit into a movie. Fact is that the new movies are the worst thing you could watch if you want to get into Berserk.

They are however an okay supplemental if you want to see some scenes animated. Especially their magnificent Eclipse.

Regarding this week's Attack on Titan. I really hope that it's the worst recap episode ever produced - a hastily thrown together piece of junk that is so mangled it'll be thrown under the rug by the studio. Why? Because they could use that time to make the real upcoming episodes so much better.

Ashes

Banned

The first part of that makes some sense. Why don't the special titans just appear within the walls to begin with? I suppose it's easier to break a wall from the outside as you get less cannon fire then from the inside where you can get attacked from every side.

The borders thing is pretty easy. I'm fairly sure the world is a big place. And they built it far away from where the titans were originally. And most likely more and more people immigrated there. Till the titans came there too. Just guessing of course.

If I were an architect, I'd have had a deep moat around the walls, at the very least.

Mini Review!

I85Ws1a.jpg

So I just marathoned all 13 episodes in a few days after not hearing anything about this before hand. It’s definitely a solid anime, but it’s absolutely not reaching its full potential just yet. The two other animes that I really love and got hooked on are Death Note and Monster, and I’m now hooked on this. Firstly the positives. The obvious is the intro. It’s freaking awesome and quite possible the best intro for an anime I’ve ever seen! Need I say more? For the most part the show looks and sounds amazing. It’s inconsistent, but never anything really horrible for me. The first episode looked stunning and could have passed off as a movie. The setting and mystery involving the titans is good stuff too. And the actions scenes for the most part are really great! Oh, and Mikasa is awesome!

Now the negatives. Some of the characters are paper thin and just not interesting in the slightest. Hell I don’t even remember half of the cast’s names other than the main three and Sasha (potato girl). I couldn’t care less if most of them died. The script at times can be really off at times too. The biggest sin this commits though is the obvious one: the pacing. Sometimes the characters need to just shut the hell up! I don’t think it‘s anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be, but it still does sink the quality down. The speech episode was just bleh! I really hope we don’t have to wait long before we find out what’s in the basement. A few more interesting sub-plots would do wonders for the show too. I’d absolutely love for this to become a Lord of the Rings type journey for a few episodes with Eren and a few others setting out to reach his house by foot (perhaps they won’t have enough gas to fly so they’ll have to walk for the majority of the way?) They could really expand upon the lore. By the way, the still shots in some of the episodes actually doesn’t bother me.

Anyway, you can’t deny that quality is here, it’s just that a few things keep stopping this show from true greatness - it sadly fails somewhat in the execution. However, it’s got some very memorable moments like when Eren’s mother dies, the potato scene, the first battle with the titans, Mikasa willing to die by the titans and when
they celebrate when the boulder is placed my the broken wall
– just to name a few. I’ll definitely continue to watch this. For the first 13 episodes I’d give it a solid 8/10.

Overall its good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom