• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attacks receive five times more media coverage if perpetrator is Muslim

Terror attacks carried out by Muslims receive more than five times as much media coverage as those carried out by non-Muslims in the United States, according to an academic study.

Analysis of coverage of all terrorist attacks in the US between 2011 and 2015 found there was a 449 per cent increase in media attention when the perpetrator was Muslim.

Muslims committed just 12.4 per cent of attacks during the period studied but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage, the survey found.

The authors said the finding suggests the media is making people disproportionately fearful of Muslim terrorists.

Scientists studied US newspaper coverage of every terrorist attack on American soil and counted up the total number of articles dedicated to each attack.

They found that the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, which was carried out by two Muslim attackers and killed three people, received almost 20 per cent of all coverage relating to US terror attacks in the five-year period.

In contrast, reporting of a 2012 massacre at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin that left six people dead and was carried out by Wade Michael Page – a white man, constituted just 3.8 per cent of coverage.

A mass shooting by Dylann Roof, who is also white, at an African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, killed nine people but received only 7.4 per cent of media coverage, while a 2014 attack by Frazier Glenn Miller on a Kansas synagogue left three dead but accounted for just 3.3 per cent of reports

“Whether the disproportionate coverage is a conscious decision on the part of journalists or not, this stereotyping reinforces cultural narratives about what and who should be feared.

“By covering terrorist attacks by Muslims dramatically more than other incidents, media frame this type of event as more prevalent. Based on these findings, it is no wonder that Americans are so fearful of radical Islamic terrorism. Reality shows, however, that these fears are misplaced.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...slamophobia-study-georgia-state-a7820726.html

MSNBC also did a piece on this...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-live-wit...s-terrorists-982035523807?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

Here's the study if anyone's interested.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2928138

This won't surprise a great many people, but it's interesting nonetheless.

IdealShortCock-size_restricted.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No surprised detected.

The recent series of attacks in the UK and the difference in how the media treated the attacks done by a Muslim compared to the attacks done on Muslims was extremely apparent.

Most enlightening moment was when a bunch of muslims were ran over in the UK, I was channel flipping and Fox (i know) had 'former CIA analysts' going in great detail about the thread of radical islam in the US instead of covering what's actually happening live.

caliph95

mshckd.gif

Though i keep seeing conspiracies of the opposite in some circles not sure why with how news is driven by ratings and you know what brings rating Islamic terrorists

Cagey

Banned
The Boston Marathon bombing comparison, emphasizing death count to show disproportionate coverage to terrorist attacks such as Dylann Roof with higher fatality counts (3 v. 7-8), is flawed.

A few hundred people were injured when a high profile, highly attended public event was bombed, in addition to the deaths, and included a manhunt in the ensuing hours.

In the dataset, the Boston Marathon duo is a clear outlier in percentage of news coverage.

The next highest percentages belonged to Robert Dear (Planned Parenthood), San Bernandino (15ish killed), Dylann Roof (black church), and Christopher Dorner (police manhunt).

I'm appreciative of the effort and drive to obtain the hard data on this subject. I don't want to devalue that. It's great to have.

It's not like there's a bunch of people out there who were just waiting for empirical evidence in order to be persuaded on the issue.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Can't read the paper right now, but does it account for how high profile of a target that was hit?

I have a strong feeling that it would still be disproportionate, but the Boston Bombing is a poor example. It was a major event and all the media was already there, then followed by a tense and dramatic manhunt. The media was right in the middle of the chaos with everyone else.

I think it has more to do with where the attacks happened, especially if it happens at a famous event. I'm sure if some 'good old boys' set off a bomb at the Superbowl, those news stories would eclipse any other attack for the year.

I agree with the overall premise, though.

rjinaz

Republicans are good at what they do, keeping people afraid so it's easier to exploit them. i mean your odds of getting killed by your non-Muslim gun owning neighbor are soooooo much higher, hell even by your own family, but, the people need a target, that's how it works.

Comparing the Boston attack to other attacks is a little unfair. The Bost attack was a "random" attack that shut down a major metropolitan area. The ones in Wisconsin and South Carolina were attacks against specific targets.

I'm not denying the claims made by this piece but there is a difference between these style of attacks.

I think it has more to do with where the attacks happened, especially if it happens at a famous event. I'm sure if some 'good old boys' set off a bomb at the Superbowl, those news stories would eclipse any other attack for the year.

I agree with the overall premise, though.

Yeah for sure that is part of it. For example, there are ISIS attacks in the middle east all the time that get 0 coverage. Perhaps the victims also have to be white and located in a popular area for it to really matter.

Guevara

I mean, no shit the bombing of the Boston Marathon, which was also well documented photographically, and subsequent live manhunt/shootout got more press than other events.

When white people aren't attacked or killed, don't need to report it as much when Muslims or other minorities are the victims. After all, gotta serve your readership.

Cagey

Banned
Can't read the paper right now, but does it account for how high profile of a target that was hit?

I have a strong feeling that it would still be disproportionate, but the Boston Bombing is a poor example. It was a major event and all the media was already there, then followed by a tense and dramatic manhunt. The media was right in the middle of the chaos with everyone else.

No. And the authors' own analysis emphasizes kill count for drawing comparisons.

Scientists studied US newspaper coverage of every terrorist attack on American soil and counted up the total number of articles dedicated to each attack.

Interested to see how the numbers would pan out if the rest of the world was taken into consideration.

So, the media and many viewers are in the closet in terms of how they feel about Muslims. The overt folks are a problem but the people who hide their feelings in public are arguably even more dangerous.

Lunar15

Because if it's a Muslim person it means something... or something like that.

There's an easier story to consume and extrapolate on if there's a war involved, and that's exactly what this presents itself as: "an ideological war between 'middle eastern' values and 'american' values".

Media coverage is based on a narrative. That's why there's so much digging into the past lives of dangerous killers. The nation wants to know "what caused this to happen." When it's a Muslim suspect, that narrative is already there, neatly prepared for the media to pick up and propagate.

That said, this study is a bit weird, since the boston marathon bombing is such a gigantic outlier.

I am genuinely shocked. I didnt even know they were classifying non muslim attacks as terror attacks. It is always "Mentally ill so and so".

Really glad they labeled those other shooters as terrorists.

The most fucked up thing entirely is the switch of vocabulary in the media based on the race of the suspect.

Unsurprising of course. The Boston bombing is an outlier though, but the general findings shock no one. I wonder how the other outliers like the Dallas cop killer, or ex army cop killer in L.A. compare.

Cagey

Banned
For those who haven't looked at the study's dataset, a list of top stories by percentage of observed media coverage

1. Boston Marathon - 19.64%
  2. Robert Dear (Planned Parenthood) - 8.45%
  3. Syed Farook, Tashfeen Mailk (San Bernadino) - 7.42%
  4. Dylann Roof (white supremacist, black church shooting) - 7.42%
  5. Christopher Dorner (police ambush + ensuing manhunt) - 6.13%
  6. Eric Frein (police ambush) - 5.14%
  7. Muhammad Abdulazeez (Chattanooga Navy Reserve shooting) - 4.89%
  8. Ismaaiyl Brinsley (NYPD ambush) - 4.68%
  9. Wade Page (Wisconsin Sikh, 6 dead) - 3.81%
  10. Frazier Miller (Kansas synagogue, 3 dead) - 3.27%

Is there anyone who takes issue with the Boston Marathon bombing's disproportionate share of coverage versus the rest of that Top Covered list, given the injury count and high-profile event and ensuing manhunt?

One trend in that Top Covered list would be the attention paid to police ambush killings.

But the study's observation that 12.4% of attacks were committed by Muslims yet said attacks 41.4% of the news coverage is irresponsibly provided without context: namely, the Boston Marathon bombing, also presented in the article without context, accounts for roughly half of that 41.4%.

I don't doubt this is true to some extend, but the Boston bombing is such a big difference due to the manhunt and it being a bombing. How are these differences when we take that one out. Most of the other high profile ones seem to be covered no matter who did it.

They use death count as their basis for comparison, which perhaps isn't the greatest idea but that's what they went with.

This part is also interesting.

In the aftermath of Frazier Glenn Miller’s Kansas City attack or Robert Dear’s attack on Colorado Springs’ Planned Parenthood, few called either of them terrorists. When Dylann Roof perpetrated his attack in Charleston, a debate emerged over whether or not to call him a terrorist.

While some argued that it was appropriate, others dispelled this label.Yet, all three acts fit within the understanding of terrorism as “the threatened or actual use of illegal force and violence by a non-state actor to attain a political, economic, religious, or social goal through fear, coercion, or intimidation” (Global Terrorism Database, 2016).

In contrast, attacks like those on the Pulse Nightclub attack in Orlando or the San Bernadino attack were called terrorism almost immediately.

The key difference in these examples is the perpetrator(s) social identity. In the context of terrorism, media may frame this as a specifically Muslim problem
because that is the dominant narrative (Sultan, 2016).

Domestic terrorism is often portrayed as a minor threat committed by mentally ill perpetrators, whereas terrorism influenced by radical interpretation of Islam is framed as a hostile outside force (Powell, 2011). When the perpetrator(s) of a terrorist attack are members of an out-group or “other”, we should expect to see more media coverage.

Since discussions of terrorism and counterterrorism often overly focus on Muslim perpetrators,8 we expect the following:

H1: Terrorist attacks will receive more media coverage when the perpetrator is Muslim
While we expect that the perpetrator’s identity will be the strongest predictor of the
degree of media coverage received, we anticipate other factors will have significant influence as well.

The study raises some interesting points and media coverage does tend to focus on attacks more if they are by Muslims, but I do feel their 'headline grabber' might be slightly flawed by their methodology.

VeeP

I'm still upset but the poor media coverage on the Sikh Temple shootings. It's bad enough that the media portrays every terroist that wears a turban so Sikhs get attacked regardless, but when multiple in innocent victims get terrorized they don't want to report it. Maybe if they were white.

For those who haven't looked at the study's dataset, a list of top stories by percentage of observed media coverage

1. Boston Marathon - 19.64%
  2. Robert Dear (Planned Parenthood) - 8.45%
  3. Syed Farook, Tashfeen Mailk (San Bernadino) - 7.42%
  4. Dylann Roof (white supremacist, black church shooting) - 7.42%
  5. Christopher Dorner (police ambush + ensuing manhunt) - 6.13%
  6. Eric Frein (police ambush) - 5.14%
  7. Muhammad Abdulazeez (Chattanooga Navy Reserve shooting) - 4.89%
  8. Ismaaiyl Brinsley (NYPD ambush) - 4.68%
  9. Wade Page (Wisconsin Sikh, 6 dead) - 3.81%
  10. Frazier Miller (Kansas synagogue, 3 dead) - 3.27%

"We examined news coverage from LexisNexis Academic and CNN.com for all terrorist attacks in the United States between 2011 and 2015. "

The numbers would have been quite different if 2016 and the Orlando attack had been taken into account.

RinsFury

Since 9/11 people have been conditioned by the media and politicians to fear and hate muslims, and indeed any supposed foreigner in perceived 'muslim' garb. The media further plays into this hysteria by placing an extra emphasis on attacks against whites.

kswiston

Muslims are more likely to attack white people in racially/religiously motivated attacks and white victims have always received more press.

Also see how overseas terrorist attacks are covered.

Cagey

Banned
"We examined news coverage from LexisNexis Academic and CNN.com for all terrorist attacks in the United States between 2011 and 2015. "

The numbers would have been quite different if 2016 and the Orlando attack had been taken into account.

Sure. I'd guess that Orlando would have been no lower than #2 in media coverage, and given the scale/severity of the attack and the target group, that would make sense.

The analysis in this study is quite lazy.

reckless

The Boston marathon bombings obviously affects the results to such a degree that this study seems like a waste of time.

Drey1082

I'm still upset but the poor media coverage on the Sikh Temple shootings. It's bad enough that the media portrays every terroist that wears a turban so Sikhs get attacked regardless, but when multiple in innocent victims get terrorized they don't want to report it. Maybe if they were white.

I think considering this a minorities vs. white issue isn't the correct way to frame this. It's a "does this fit my narrative" issue.

Fox has a narrative, CNN has a narrative. For the most part, all for profit news outlets have a narrative. If something doesn't go with the narrative they've created, it's either ignored or downplayed.

Bakercat

So, after reading this article, I thought I'd share it on Facebook since I thought it would be really insightful to some of the people on there I was friends with. Some dude I haven't seen in years commented on the post that I should go to Iraq or Afghanistan so I can be, "caged and raped" I guess to say I was wrong? i have no idea. We had a little back and forth but I realized it was going nowhere quick and I left it be. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Top Bottom