• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

I tried to be an audiophile. Bought 2 expensive ass soundbars. Worked great at first. Now they are shit and can't hear voices, music and sound effects are way louder than the voice now. If i turn it up to hear the voices then my parents complain its too loud.

Spent hours setting up a receiver and that didn't work. Had to get a refund.

After spending $2,000 it was a massive waste of money.

Im glad being an audiophile works for some people.

I tried to be an audiophile. Bought 2 expensive ass soundbars. Worked great at first. Now they are shit and can't hear voices, music and sound effects are way louder than the voice now. If i turn it up to hear the voices then my parents complain its too loud.

Yeah, sound bars are a big no no. I've only heard good things about the Sennheiser (There's only one).

Since nobody has told you, two channel stereo is where it's at. Even for home cinema.

This hobby is all about making mistakes. Sometimes expensive mistakes. Keep on trucking until you get a home run.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Soundbars aren't audiophile

amigastar

Currently running a Schiit Modi Multibit with a Project Ember Tube amp with AKG K701 headphones.
I love the sound coming from that combination. I have also a Chord Mojo 2 but i'm so satisfied with the Modi Multibit i don't see the need to run the Mojo 2 right now.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I'm going to delve in to Audeze land this weekend. This will be my first brush with the brand. Meaning this will be the first time that I'm going to put a pair of them on my nogging.

I've always admired them from afar since I've heard of them 20 years ago.

Man, time flies.

I would be very thankful for some insight and comparisons after your experience.

I would be very thankful for some insight and comparisons after your experience.
I'd be more than happy to report my impressions in this thread.

My criteria is basically: Does it give you the fizz or not? Regardless of price.

I will be comparing it to offerings from STAX as well. I think that everyone wants to make the most informed decision when it comes to spending their money. Including myself.

Last edited:

I_D

Well folks, I've gotten myself into a world I do not fully understand.

I just got these headphones: SENNHEISER HMD 300 PRO-XQ-2
And I have no idea how to hook them up to my PC.

I got these adapters:
1/4 to 1/8 (headphone)
XLR to USB

TL-DR - I assume I don't have enough power, so I need an audio interface with a separate power connection? If so, what do I get?

Long version:

When I use the 1/4th to 1/8th adapter/port, Windows asks me whether it's a headset or a mic. I can only choose one.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my line-in port on my mobo, I can get the microphone to work, but just barely. It's hella quiet.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my line-out port on my mobo, the audio works perfectly.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my case's audio jack, the audio works perfectly.

When I use the XLR to USB adapter/port, Windows doesn't ask shit.
If I plug the XLR to USB adapter/port into USB ports on my mobo, some of them work, but not others. Seems like USB A works, but not USB 3.
The case's USB ports seem to be work as well as the mobo's working ports.
When it's plugged in, I can see both mic and headphones, but only access the mic, and it's even weaker than the other options.

When I use both the 1/4 to 1/8 port/adapter AND the XLR to USB port/adapter (tested out mobo and case combinations, doesn't seem to matter, other than the above-mentioned stuff), I can access both the headphones and the mic at the same time and Windows will let me choose which is which, but both are hella-weak.

So, I assume I need both the 1/4th and XLR plugged in at the same time (with or without adapters), but I also need more power; which requires an audio-interface with a separate power source.
I can't find anything at all which has both a 1/4th and XLR interface at the same time, unless they're huge and expensive.

But I can find DACs with RCA output and XLR input.
Could I use a 1/4 to RCA adapter for my output, and then just the regular XLR port for my input?
I'm looking at this one in particular, unless somebody else has a better idea: Schiit - Modius
Any ideas? Do I need to do something else, entirely?

The ironic twist of all of this is that I was hoping to reduce my number of wires. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I got these adapters:
1/4 to 1/8 (headphone)
XLR to USB

TL-DR - I assume I don't have enough power, so I need an audio interface with a separate power connection? If so, what do I get?

Long version:

When I use the 1/4th to 1/8th adapter/port, Windows asks me whether it's a headset or a mic. I can only choose one.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my line-in port on my mobo, I can get the microphone to work, but just barely. It's hella quiet.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my line-out port on my mobo, the audio works perfectly.
If I plug the 1/4th to 1/8th into my case's audio jack, the audio works perfectly.

If I plug the XLR to USB adapter/port into USB ports on my mobo, some of them work, but not others. Seems like USB A works, but not USB 3.
When it's plugged in, I can see both mic and headphones, but only access the mic, and it's even weaker than the other options.

When I use both the 1/4 to 1/8 port/adapter AND the XLR to USB port/adapter (tested out mobo and case combinations, doesn't seem to matter, other than the above-mentioned stuff), I can access both the headphones and the mic at the same time and Windows will let me choose which is which, but both are hella-weak.

So, I assume I need both the 1/4th and XLR plugged in at the same time (with or without adapters), but I also need more power; which requires an audio-interface with a separate power source.
I can't find anything at all which has both a 1/4th and XLR interface at the same time, unless they're huge and expensive.

Could I use a 1/4 to RCA adapter for my output, and then just the regular XLR port for my input?
I'm looking at this one in particular, unless somebody else has a better idea: Schiit - Modius

The ironic twist of all of this is that I was hoping to reduce my number of wires. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Something like this should work (it splits both inputs so you can plug each into their appropriate ports):

I_D

Something like this should work (it splits both inputs so you can plug each into their appropriate ports):

I don't need two inputs, as far as I understand.
I think I need one input and one output: One for the mic, and one for the headphones.

But if this worked, it would mean I'd plug my 1/4 into the 1/8 adapter, then the 1/8 into this adapter that you've linked, then that one into the line-in and line-out ports on the back of my mobo, yes?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't need two inputs, as far as I understand.
I think I need one input and one output: One for the mic, and one for the headphones.

But if this worked, it would mean I'd plug my 1/4 into the 1/8 adapter, then the 1/8 into this adapter that you've linked, then that one into the line-in and line-out ports on the back of my mobo, yes?
Ahh, I assumed the connector on the headset itself was XLR.

Something like this could help. I'm sure there's more audiophile grade gear out there but it won't really matter if you're just using it for gaming.

You might be better off returning those and getting something intended for home use vs professional broadcasting. XLR is useful for long cable runs. Unless your source is a good distance away, XLR won't add any benefit. It looks like it's just adding unnecessary cost to your setup.

Ulysses 31

I got these adapters:
1/4 to 1/8 (headphone)
XLR to USB

Long version:

Sounds like you could use a Sound Blaster AE-9.

hero.png

As you can see, it has XLR for mics and 3.5mm and 6.35mm output jacks. I got my Utopia hooked up to one.

Tomeru

Im upgrading from sennheiser game one. I love this set overall, but its time to get serious.

I love sennheiser's neutral sound and have been with this brsnd for years, and every set of them I tried was super comfortable to wear for hours upon hours.

So: HD 600/650? (Im open to try other brands too).

Ulysses 31

What do you recommend?
I had them for a while before I replaced them with Denon Ah-D9200(4 years ago) and them seemed fine but I preferred the frequency response of the D9200.

I mainly used it on PC but not with a high-end (pre)amp/DAC back then so I never experienced the best sound quality they could give. When I got the Sound Blaster AE-9 it was a big step up from my onboard sound card I used before but by then I had already replaced them with the D9200.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Im upgrading from sennheiser game one. I love this set overall, but its time to get serious.

I love sennheiser's neutral sound and have been with this brsnd for years, and every set of them I tried was super comfortable to wear for hours upon hours.

So: HD 600/650? (Im open to try other brands too).
I have a 600 and it’s absolute perfection for me. Nothing I’ve thrown at it sounds bad. The only way you can not be satisfied with it is if you’re into the deepest / loudest bass.

In contrast, the 650 sounded slow, thick and syrupy to me. Unimaginably boring.

I_D

Ahh, I assumed the connector on the headset itself was XLR.

Something like this could help. I'm sure there's more audiophile grade gear out there but it won't really matter if you're just using it for gaming.

You might be better off returning those and getting something intended for home use vs professional broadcasting. XLR is useful for long cable runs. Unless your source is a good distance away, XLR won't add any benefit. It looks like it's just adding unnecessary cost to your setup.

The connectors on the headset are both XLR and 1/4th.
It's a single cord (roughly 1/4'' thick) which ends in a Y-split, and the ends are the connectors.

I've thought about returning the headset, but I just can't imagine a situation where somebody would need a medium/high-quality headphone with a medium/high-quality mic, all built into one, without there being some sort of easy-access platform available for users. Especially since both the 1/4 and XLR seem to allow mic or audio, instead of being dedicated to one or the other.
This isn't a music-and-recording-level headset, so then what the heck is it for if not PC users? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

That Elgato looks like it might be the obvious thing, so this is definitely something I'm going to check out.
It seems like it's only powered via USB, though? I don't think that'll be strong enough, based on my tests.

Sounds like you could use a Sound Blaster AE-9.

As you can see, it has XLR for mics and 3.5mm and 6.35mm output jacks. I got my Utopia hooked up to one.

This also looks extremely promising. Many thanks.
Sidenote: Creative's Zen Xtra was the greatest mp3 player of all time.

Hah, I would suggest maybe not the HMD 300's, unless you really know what you're doing.

EDIT:
So, I feel like we agree that I need some sort of DAC, at the very least?

The Soundblaster seems to be a bit more than what I was hoping for, but still a viable option (or something similar). The Elgato might not have enough power, but I'm happy to be corrected.

As such, my thoughts are to buy this RCA male to 1/4th female adapter, then this DAC.
From my understanding, this will allow me to use the XLR for the mic-input, then the 1/4th (& RCA adapter) as the audio-output.

Again, many thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom