• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

just tray said:
Just because everyone's grandmother goes out and buys a Wii doesn't mean that it is a great gaming system. Seriously outside of the Nintendo brand games, there's not much that I play on my Wii. Take away Smash Bros,Galaxy,Mario Kart and Zelda and what do you have? The real Gamecube 2 isn't the PS3,it's the Wii except that Nintendo foud a way to pawn it off to senior citizens and soccer moms. If the 360 and PS3 had similar control schemes the Wii would not be the hot item that it is. The difference between the PS3 and 360 and Wii is that the PS3 and 360 has a nearly steady stream of hit games, we won't see a Nintendo game that we really want to see besides Animal crossing until 2009.

I think NA Wii owners are looking at a pretty long period where there aren't many compelling games but until recently, the Wii has gotten a steady stream of awesome games. My old enthusiasm for it had nothing to do with the expanded audience.

just tray

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
The spectacular shaming of the HD twins?

At least Ill be playing Resitance 2,Motorstorm 2, LBP,Gears 2,Fable 2 on the Hd twins. On the Gamecube twin I will be playing.......Animal Crossing and....well thats it.

Sadist

Ariexv said:
Just out of curiosity what does the Wii have coming up? I haven't bought anything new for it since Mario Kart and I haven't seen anything new that looks interesting.

Edit: beaten, never mind.

just tray said:
At least Ill be playing Resitance 2,Motorstorm 2, LBP,Gears 2,Fable 2 on the Hd twins. On the Gamecube twin I will be playing.......Animal Crossing and....well thats it.

See?

Just because you are a niche gamer doesn't mean you can't have fun!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
WrikaWrek said:
I just don't understand Wii fanboys.

I mean, sure, the concept of the Wii has a lot of charm, but with the current gaming library one would think that at least most of Nintendo fans would be pissed at the situation, but seems like it's happy land.

I mean really? What game from that top 10 did you get for your Wii for example. Or another game that was out in august or july for example.

That's where the casuals vs gaming enthusiast come in. Imo the software offerings of the Wii is like asking someone who likes meat and all kinds of food to become a vegan.

I understand that some people chose to live that lifestyle, but i don't see how someone who has enjoyed the pleasures of life thus far, simply change lifestyle because their fav company says it's the thing to do.

Stop being so fucking happy about it, stop buying shovelware and maybe those game publishers will start changing their ways.
Recent months have been shitty for gaming in general, at least for my tastes. PS3 has the best upcoming lineup, but wii's one is not that bad, moreso when it is your second system and you can get samba de amigo with your motorstorm2. Nothing like the shovelware picture you describe in wii's calendar for the next few months.

just tray

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
See?

Just because you are a niche gamer doesn't mean you can't have fun!

High quality games I just named the biggest ones. There's more coming to the PS3 and 360. Ill take any Niche game over Wii music any day.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Guys, it's simple really:

If you take everything that has made a given system successful, then it's not successful. If you take out every good game from a games library, then the library is poor. See? Easy!

Aren't worldwide sales of PS3 and 360 just about even now?

I expected PS3 to overtake 360 this month, made the prediction over a year ago.
I say by middle to end of next year ps3 should have higher sales than 360

Luckyman said:
For 3rd parties Wii is a place for licensed properties and games that come with a peripheral.

It´s not the place for Call of Duties and Maddens..

It sure as hell is the place for Call of Duty, if they put some work into it. CoD5 Wii is a game I'm really excited about. CoD3 was really fun on the Wii, not so much on the other consoles.

The reason these games fail is because they're falling through the gap between Wii's casual audience, which doesn't know/care about them, and Wii's gamer audience, which knows they're afterthought ports. Madden Wii's cover alone ensures no traditional Madden player will touch it. The price-concious crowd that bought Carnival Games and Game Party have no reason to look at it. It might sell to the Wii's broader audience, if it's fun and gets some word-of-mouth.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If I had a Wii, I'd get Mario Galaxy, MP3 and TOS2 when it comes out. I might would pick up Super Paper Mario since it should be fairly cheap, other than that, there's nothing that really interests me. This version of Mario Kart is kinda average and Smash Brothers has never been one of my favorites. 3 definites and 1 maybe is not a very good line-up for a system thats been out for two years. I never lacked for games to play on the cube.

Edit: I should say that if I found a Wii today, I'd buy it immediately. I'd sell that thing for over double what I paid on eBay when November and December come around.

WrikaWrek

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:

I think your predictions were wrong.

Opiate

MidgarBlowedUp said:

Do you mean worldwide, LTD sales? No. The PS3 was ~5.5 Million behind as of the end of June. At best, it's ~5.2 million behind now. Being generous, the PS3 would catch up to the 360 at the end of 2009; being realistic, it won't be until 2010/2011. It will likely catch up, however, thanks to the leads in JP and EU.

just tray

Banned
truly101 said:
If I had a Wii, I'd get Mario Galaxy, MP3 and TOS2 when it comes out. I might would pick up Super Paper Mario since it should be fairly cheap, other than that, there's nothing that really interests me. This version of Mario Kart is kinda average and Smash Brothers has never been one of my favorites. 3 definites and 1 maybe is not a very good line-up for a system thats been out for two years. I never lacked for games to play on the cube.

Edit: I should say that if I found a Wii today, I'd buy it immediately. I'd sell that thing for over double what I paid on eBay when November and December come around.

I never play MP3 anymore and got bored with Super Paper Mario. Mario Kart and Smash have great replay value when it comes to multiplayer games.Once COD4 and Halo 3 came out and after I got Bioshock it was hard to go back to MP3

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Regulus Tera said:
The goalposts, they keep on moving. :lol

Its like the Iraq war. Sony is just about to turn the corner like you wouldn't believe. Just you wait......just a bit more.....a little more......keep waiting....epic corner turning in just a bit.

just tray

Banned
truly101 said:
Its like the Iraq war. Sony is just about to turn the corner like you wouldn't believe. Just you wait......just a bit more.....a little more......keep waiting....epic corner turning in just a bit.

McCain did say 100 years...

farnham

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I just don't understand Wii fanboys.

I mean, sure, the concept of the Wii has a lot of charm, but with the current gaming library one would think that at least most of Nintendo fans would be pissed at the situation, but seems like it's happy land.

I mean really? What game from that top 10 did you get for your Wii for example. Or another game that was out in august or july for example.

That's where the casuals vs gaming enthusiast come in. Imo the software offerings of the Wii is like asking someone who likes meat and all kinds of food to become a vegan.

I understand that some people chose to live that lifestyle, but i don't see how someone who has enjoyed the pleasures of life thus far, simply change lifestyle because their fav company says it's the thing to do.

Stop being so fucking happy about it, stop buying shovelware and maybe those game publishers will start changing their ways.

Well when the PS2 was popular games like Madden, Tony Hawk, Need For Speed and Medal of Honor were always the best selling games.. they got released year after year with minor changes... Never thought that was a nice situation either.. But the Ps2 had a lot of compelling software that did not touch the top but was great.. Same with the Wii..

ghostlyjoe said:
Like Bigfoot, the existence of the casual army can be proven only through indirect or circumstantial evidence. Consider what the gaming community "knows" about the casual:

I myself know several casual gamers. And anyone who wants to know the secret to how they decide what to buy, it's pretty easy: they see commercials, they hear from each other, and often they ask me. They don't ask me what to buy (which is why they didn't buy Kororinpa or Metroid), they ask me for confirmation of what they already think they want.

Sometimes they listen to me, sometimes to each other. But they're just looking for A FUN GAME. And they're not stupid...well, no more than any random group of people can be. No more so than all of us who've posted in this thread, certainly. They just have a different idea of fun than we do.

Opiate

The posts by people who cannot fathom how anyone could enjoy the Wii so much or prefer it to the 360 and PS3 are embarrasing.

The stereotype of the video gamer is different than it used to be: it used to be a nerdy 14 year old with ADD. Now, it is a nerdy 20 year old with ADD who also lacks social skills and is very self centered.

Putting aside the other parts of the stereotype for a second (although I could certainly take a few jabs in this regard, and I'd include myself in them), the almost complete inability to imagine that other people have different tastes than you is practically the definition of self centered behavior.

This is also reflected in some people's explanations of the Wii's success: they attribute it to marketing or hype or poor "positioning" by Sony or to pricing. In other words, any reason other than that people enjoy the system and want the games it offers -- it popints to an unwavering disbelief that other people could possibly have different preferences. Please, do not contribute to the negative stereotypes of gamers, and simply accept that other people have different tastes than you and I have.

TwilightPrincess said:
this :)

there are 12 RPGs announced :) After TGS it will be 18+

Wii will be the east rpg machine of the gen :D

I'm not sure that I find all of them interesting but there are a select few that seem to heavily indicate awesomeness. If RPGs are your choice genre, the Wii runs evenly with the other two consoles even though the DS and PSP drastically shames all three of them.

farnham said:
Because TGS is known to be the Big Nintendo Show...

i heared that se does not show console titles at there own, only handheld. Sony and MS show the SE games for their consoles and nintendo is not there ;)

Any one can confirm this?

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm not sure that I find all of them interesting but there are a select few that seem to heavily indicate awesomeness. If RPGs are your choice genre, the Wii runs evenly with the other two consoles even though the DS and PSP drastically shames all three of them.

I have a ds :lol

but i think wii will turn out very well in this genre too ;)

farnham

Banned
TwilightPrincess said:
i heared that se does not show console titles at there own, only handheld. Sony and MS show the SE games for their consoles and nintendo is not there ;)

Any one can confirm this?
Square Enix usually doesnt show much aside of their private events.. Even at TGS its mostly CG trailers and old stuff.. And Nintendo is never at TGS...

so what's up with smash bros? is it one of those top 20 sellers like Melee was last gen? or has the superiority of mario kart online completely made ppl forget about it? (like it has with me)

fin said:
Last time I checked, SquareEnix isn't Nintendo.

Which is being showed at TGS.

i am fine with youtoden, arc rise fantasia, fragile and little king story at tgs, but i hope for a kizuna trailer in the same time, shame on the developer that he isnt at tgs :(

yeah and level 5 should show some good stuff too :D

VultureDude said:
so what's up with smash bros? is it one of those top 20 sellers like Melee was last gen? or has the superiority of mario kart online completely made ppl forget about it? (like it has with me)

Even without knowing what Brawl has done some months, it's LTD in the US is still ahead of Mario Kart. It hasn't had the same legs, but it launched much, much higher.

And I'd guess it will be a popular gift this holiday season.

Jag22

Banned
Opiate said:
The posts by people who cannot fathom how anyone could enjoy the Wii so much or prefer it to the 360 and PS3 are embarrasing.

The stereotype of the video gamer is different than it used to be: it used to be a nerdy 14 year old with ADD. Now, it is a nerdy 20 year old with ADD who also lacks social skills and is very self centered.

Putting aside the other parts of the stereotype for a second (although I could certainly take a few jabs in this regard, and I'd include myself in them), the almost complete inability to imagine that other people have different tastes than you is practically the definition of self centered behavior.

This is also reflected in some people's explanations of the Wii's success: they attribute it to marketing or hype or poor "positioning" by Sony or to pricing. In other words, any reason other than that people enjoy the system and want the games it offers -- it popints to an unwavering disbelief that other people could possibly have different preferences. Please, do not contribute to the negative stereotypes of gamers, and simply accept that other people have different tastes than you and I have.
The 360 having more quality software than the Wii is a fact. Whether you like it or not doesn't change that fact.

Leondexter said:
I myself know several casual gamers. And anyone who wants to know the secret to how they decide what to buy, it's pretty easy: they see commercials, they hear from each other, and often they ask me. They don't ask me what to buy (which is why they didn't buy Kororinpa or Metroid), they ask me for confirmation of what they already think they want.

Sometimes they listen to me, sometimes to each other. But they're just looking for A FUN GAME. And they're not stupid...well, no more than any random group of people can be. No more so than all of us who've posted in this thread, certainly. They just have a different idea of fun than we do.

Wait ... you mean they don't eat core babies?

Fady K

just tray said:
Just because everyone's grandmother goes out and buys a Wii doesn't mean that it is a great gaming system. Seriously outside of the Nintendo brand games, there's not much that I play on my Wii. Take away Smash Bros,Galaxy,Mario Kart and Zelda and what do you have? The real Gamecube 2 isn't the PS3,it's the Wii except that Nintendo foud a way to pawn it off to senior citizens and soccer moms. If the 360 and PS3 had similar control schemes the Wii would not be the hot item that it is. The difference between the PS3 and 360 and Wii is that the PS3 and 360 has a nearly steady stream of hit games, we won't see a Nintendo game that we really want to see besides Animal crossing until 2009.

I know many of you guys are pissing in this post, but - and read first - he/she makes a good point in comparing the Wii to the Gamecube. Now I make this comparison not in a financial sense, because it would be an insult in many ways to even imagine the Gamecube ever being close to the Wii's awesome success - but as a gamer, my Wii is exactly in the same position as the Gamecube was to me. Why? Because my Wii library consists of some amazing Nintendo published games (Metroid P3, Zelda, Mario Galaxy) and very very little third party awesome games (like No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki, RE4 wii) and thats EXACTLY what it was like with my Gamecube.

Im honestly struggling to find new Wii games to pick up, and the situation wont change much throught the next. four. months.

The DS is another story though. So many awesome games to buy - upcoming and already released too.

Jag22 said:
The 360 having more quality software than the Wii is a fact. Whether you like it or not doesn't change that fact.

Opinion = fact.

I appreciate the passion behind your argument, but please try not to embarrass yourself with a complete lack of self awareness. The post you quoted is well argued and thoughtful. Your post is a shambles of self delusion.

Wii sales are fueled more towards image than games. I know a lot of people that don't play games but own the Wii. They just get the "Wii X" (Play, Fit, etc.) and that is it. Which explains how shit like Wii Fit and Carnival Games can sell the way they do. Take that away and the only thing worth playing are the Nintendo franchise iterations. Well, just Mario Galaxy and if you want to stretch it, Mario Kart. The rest have held up horribly or never were that great in the first place.

okrim said:
Wait a minute...360 had the same 'slow' selling during is 'life' than ps3 in 2008, so are you a fan or a troll of microsoft if it isn't for 360 and slow for the ps3 ?

HD console sales are pathetic in general. It is just that since both are selling at the same sluggish paces, PS3 overall sales will never top the 360's.

Top Bottom