• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jj984jj said:

Don't be saddened, if the game beats expectations, we can see it in Namco's sales report for next year.

Haunted said:
Man, it really is the gift that keeps on giving. Probably my favourite handheld system ever.

People could argue all the want about the DS having one of the best game lineups ever, but it easily has one of the best gaming lineups EVER for handheld consoles. I bought more games for this than the Gameboy, Gamegear, Gameboy Color, and the Gameboy Advance combined.

If you add the PSP to the mix, this is easily the "golden age of handheld consoles" we will look back at this handheld generation and use it as a baseline for future consoles. It is just that good.

Liabe Brave said:
The situation with third parties on Wii isn't as dire as often claimed, because the huge hardware base allows for longer, thicker sales curves even when the initial bursts aren't as large. But this chart isn't support. Wii sold almost twice as many consoles in those 19 months as 360 had. To barely exceed the third-party figures means either 360 had great numbers, Wii had bad ones, or both.
You must consider the amount of (very) good 3rd Party - games, if western 3rd parties wouldn't be so stupid only releasing shit on Wii the situation would be a lot of better.

And 3rd parties doesn´t care about the "how", they just wan´t good numbers.

jimbo

Banned
Opiate said:
Do you mean worldwide, LTD sales? No. The PS3 was ~5.5 Million behind as of the end of June. At best, it's ~5.2 million behind now. Being generous, the PS3 would catch up to the 360 at the end of 2009; being realistic, it won't be until 2010/2011. It will likely catch up, however, thanks to the leads in JP and EU.

Well another thing is, I still don't understand why the only argument we're having is if and when the PS3 is going to catch the 360.

Here's something I know a lot of PS3 fans don't like to think about. Have you considered the very likely possibility that not only it will not catch it by the end of the generation, but there's also a chance of the 360 WIDENING the gap even further?

The largest ground the PS3 has made on the 360 on a world wide scale was in Japan(which has stagnated) and the European launch where it did over a million in a month or so.

I am a hardcore gamer, as hardcore as anyone here. I have 17 consoles currently hooked up to my TV (including the current 3), two gaming class PCs, and various portables. I own between 800 and 900 physical games, and many others such as downloadables and emulators.

Now that I've established my credentials, let me say that I do prefer the Wii's library to that of the 360 or the PS3. I'd rather not go without any of them, but if I could only have one, it'd be the Wii for sure. And I've voted that way with my dollars: I own more Wii games than 360 games or PS3 games. I'm not at home to count, but I believe it's roughly 37 vs 31 vs 11.

That's my preference. But I have a close friend who only owns a 360, and we never argue about what system has the best games. We get together at my place every Friday or Saturday and play various games for hours, on various systems.

And yet complete strangers here on GAF think they can classify me as "not a real gamer" because I prefer the Wii's games?

All I can say is "fuck you". I classify you as a schmuck.

This whole "hardcore"/"casual" - thing is just pure bullshit, I really don´t get the people who complain about this.

Nowadays Mario Party is evel, back in the N64 - age no one complained.

Davidion

Leondexter said:
I am a hardcore gamer, as hardcore as anyone here. I have 17 consoles currently hooked up to my TV (including the current 3), two gaming class PCs, and various portables. I own between 800 and 900 physical games, and many others such as downloadables and emulators.

Now that I've established my credentials, let me say that I do prefer the Wii's library to that of the 360 or the PS3. I'd rather not go without any of them, but if I could only have one, it'd be the Wii for sure. And I've voted that way with my dollars: I own more Wii games than 360 games or PS3 games. I'm not at home to count, but I believe it's roughly 37 vs 31 vs 11.

That's my preference. But I have a close friend who only owns a 360, and we never argue about what system has the best games. We get together at my place every Friday or Saturday and play various games for hours, on various systems.

And yet complete strangers here on GAF think they can classify me as "not a real gamer" because I prefer the Wii's games?

:lol Hot

TheOddOne

Leondexter said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This is as epic as FF xbox annoucement meltdown.

AstroLad said:
1zow1w2.jpg
but gamepro says fun factor is the final score (but not an average) and the other 3 are just component scores!

soldat7

Haunted said:
So now you don't need to back a claim up, but the burden of proof is on the people hearing said claim? :boggles:

Not that I agree with him or anything, but seriously.

I was the one who responded to the assertion that the DS and SNES audiences were the same. The burden of proof is indeed upon those who made the first assertion and not upon those 'hearing said claim'.

Nintendo themselves have stated that they've widened the net, as it were. The 'target audience' is more complex now and you can't do a simple one-to-one comparison between the two platforms. Go look at the respective game libraries and you'll find a distinct lack of original AAA 'hardcore' franchises birthed on the DS and a complete dearth of non-games on the SNES. Despite some obvious similarities you will also find drastic differences that highlight the distinctly different audiences.

Again, I'm not knocking the DS library or the target audience.

Hcoregamer00

Leondexter said:

The only reason why you would be dismissed is because they see you as a threat.

After all, your personal experience is a perfect example of what the fear the most, having people who are loyal gamers congregate to a console that they fear. As I pointed out earlier, I am not a Wii owner, so I do not have any reason to defend the Wii. Yet, I go into many threads and all I see is irrational hatred for a console that they fear and hate. There are controls they don't understand, games they don't want to play, and most importantly, trends they don't like to see become universal.

So when they see someone, one of their own venture into this territory, they are threatened by it. Instead of being a gamer who wants to play games, now you are classified as a traitor, as someone who is not beholden to the same beliefs that they aspire to.

It may be some exaggeration, but there is some truth to it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
OMG I know anecdotes are anecdotes but Leondexter's takes the cake :lol. This post should be archived and quoted whenever someone attempts to dismiss the Wii gamers as "false" gamers :lol.

CTLance said:
Nooo, that's an insult to our own Professional Schmuck. He's a good guy, and he makes nice charts. He doesn't deserve being grouped with the likes of those!

OK, back to lurking. PL defense duty fullfilled. ;)

Holy crap, you're right! Sorry, PantherLotus! I guess I need a different word, but still, those guys are not to be tolerated. It's like gaming "racism".

legend166

I know the guy was joking about the GameRankings thing, but that is automatically nullified because of the fact EXCITE TRUCK only has a 75% rating.

Thing should be 100%.

Hcoregamer00

Kilrogg said:
O_O

Would you care giving us pics of your game collection (at least for current-gen consoles) as well? Pretty please?

He has so many of the older consoles that he could open up a mini Videogame museum.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hcoregamer00 said:
He has so many of the older consoles that he could open up a mini Videogame museum.

Looks like it! One of my friends has got more than 400 games and all kinds of consoles (including the infamous CD-i), so he's like a "god" to me when it comes to gaming, but Leondexter is just the Creator, Ruler and Ender of the Multiverse :lol.

Anyway, Leondexter, pics of your game collection, please. The thread is boring right now anyway.

Captain Smoker said:
And 3rd parties doesn´t care about the "how", they just wan´t good numbers.
Yes, and the numbers for 360 are so good/numbers for Wii so bad, that they can earn more money making games for 360 than for Wii (due to higher cover price). They'll also spend considerably more money making the game, of course. But they have the opportunity for a PC port, or these days for a PS3 port; the extra cost there is usually minimal versus the returns. Wii doesn't have the same option.

I'm not trying to say Wii's situation is bad in any absolute terms; no console that sells 700k in two consecutive summer months has anything to worry about! I'm just pointing out why third parties might not find Wii as much of an obvious decision as, say, PS2 was last gen.

Hcoregamer00

Kilrogg said:
Looks like it! One of my friends has got more than 400 games and all kinds of consoles (including the infamous CD-i), so he's like a "god" to me when it comes to gaming, but Leondexter is just the Creator, Ruler and Ender of the Multiverse :lol.

Anyway, Leondexter, pics of your game collection, please. The thread is boring right now anyway.

So true :lol

Kilrogg said:

There are plenty of people whose collections put mine to shame, but they're collectors, mostly. I play all of mine. Nothing in my collection is sealed (unless I just haven't gotten to it yet) or intended to someday be sold.

I'll post a pic when I get home...about half an hour or so. The one I have on the site is well out of date.

Pimpbaa said:
That looks like a standard definition tv! You are no gamer!

Hell, no, it isn't. It's one of the first HDTVs, a 1080i CRT with the most beautiful picture you'll ever see for those 17 consoles.

I also have a smaller, portable 1080p-capable TV with power and component permanently hooked up to it for the 3 current systems, for my friends to use if we're not playing multiplayer, or for myself if we decide to play elsewhere (and for vacations).

Hcoregamer00

Leondexter said:
There are plenty of people whose collections put mine to shame, but they're collectors, mostly. I play all of mine. Nothing in my collection is sealed (unless I just haven't gotten to it yet) or intended to someday be sold.

I'll post a pic when I get home...about half an hour or so. The one I have on the site is well out of date.

Which makes your console collection even more extraordinary.

You did not buy the consoles with the intent of looking at them, you bought them for playtime.

I am still in awe of your collection

2007_3731.jpg

"We are not worthy"

Pimpbaa

Leondexter said:
Hell, no, it isn't. It's one of the first HDTVs, a 1080i CRT with the most beautiful picture you'll ever see for those 17 consoles.

Ahh. I have one of those as well (a 4:3 1080i HDTV). It has a beautiful picture as well, but the overscan was too excessive with my 360 hooked up to it.

Edit: Hey wait! How come don't have a turbographix-16 or turboduo?

jimbo

Banned
Leondexter said:

Props to you my friend, if you can pull that off. But, I really do want to know, are you still a virgin?

Your other half, would have to be the nerdiest girl on the planet. And together you could start the next Gamestop. Start looking for her if you haven't already done so.

Top Bottom