• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

http://www.gameswelike.com/web/pix/LeonCollectionNew.jpg

Here's the collection.

And here's my girlfriend and I:

LeonTirza.jpg

I was way off on my numbers. I have 777 physical games at the moment, 32 Wii games, 22 X360 games, and 14 PS3 games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man, I've been so out of the loop this week. Missed this thread, which is weird.

Excited to see September's 360 sales, because of the price drop.

AlternativeUlster said:
Leon, let's play Burn:Cycle on your CD-i sometime. It will be fun times.

There's no CD-i in there, you must be looking at the 3DO. And no, there's no TurboGrafx in there either, I never had one. My friend Bruce has one, and that's good enough. No nostalgia for me.

I have a poster (currently hiding behind my collection on the right) of "console history" showing all the major(ish) consoles up to the Dreamcast, which I use to point out to people that there are a lot I don't own. I play a ton, but I don't play or own nearly everything.

Leondexter said:
I am a hardcore gamer, as hardcore as anyone here. I have 17 consoles currently hooked up to my TV (including the current 3), two gaming class PCs, and various portables. I own between 800 and 900 physical games, and many others such as downloadables and emulators.

Now that I've established my credentials, let me say that I do prefer the Wii's library to that of the 360 or the PS3. I'd rather not go without any of them, but if I could only have one, it'd be the Wii for sure. And I've voted that way with my dollars: I own more Wii games than 360 games or PS3 games. I'm not at home to count, but I believe it's roughly 37 vs 31 vs 11.

That's my preference. But I have a close friend who only owns a 360, and we never argue about what system has the best games. We get together at my place every Friday or Saturday and play various games for hours, on various systems.

And yet complete strangers here on GAF think they can classify me as "not a real gamer" because I prefer the Wii's games?

All I can say is "fuck you". I classify you as a schmuck.

Win.

That's it for me, guys. Game night has begun, got to go get sodas and we're going to play. Bruce is playing Tales of Vesparia, Steve's playing Super Robot Wars OG, and I'm working my way through Doom 64 again, so no multiplayer tonight most likely. It's still cool playing together...sometimes you just want to say "check this out".

See ya.

Gwanatu T

Captain Smoker said:
Madden NFL 08:
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.600
WII MADDEN NFL 08 115.600

Madden NFL 09:
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000
WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800

Now that's weird. Same people buying the game every year confirmed? PS2 and PS3 are reversed, which actually makes it even stranger.

thuway

Leondexter I applaud you. Not only do you post pictures of a setup with two PS2s, an SDTV, and a mess of a lifestyle- but you also convinced yourself you had to prove to GAF your still attractive to the opposite sex.

:lol You = Win :lol

thuway said:
Leondexter I applaud you. Not only do you post pictures of a setup with two PS2s, an SDTV, and a mess of a lifestyle- but you also convinced yourself you had to prove to GAF your still attractive to the opposite sex.

I would argue that he is probably living a happier life than most. Also I love when people posting on neogaf make comments like that.

thuway said:

It's not an SDTV, I never said I was attractive, and I certainly didn't prove so. I only said I'm a hardcore gamer, and since people seem to think that's mutually exclusive to having a girlfriend, also showed that's not the case (though it is difficult sometimes).

joey_z

Banned
Leondexter said:
It's not an SDTV, I never said I was attractive, and I certainly didn't prove so. I only said I'm a hardcore gamer, and since people seem to think that's mutually exclusive to having a girlfriend, also showed that's not the case (though it is difficult sometimes).

I want to slap you with my penis but I can't find a reason. You are made of the strangest kind of win.

GreenNight said:
Please tell me you have a girlfriend, although if not be happy with a damn sweet collection.
atleast he aint a f'n fanboy :D

Leave the guy alone man, he has an obvious videogame hobby..so be it, better then being a drug dealer :)

PS half of you guys trying to knock the guy probally got it 10x worse any how :lol

Firestorm

Mr.Potato Head said:
atleast he aint a f'n fanboy :D

Leave the guy alone man, he has an obvious videogame hobby..so be it, better then being a drug dealer :)
How do you think he's funding his video game hobby?

Leondexter said:

That's why you need a geeky girlfriend. Then she's actually turned on it by it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Such an epic beatdown, Leondexter.

I applaud you, sir.

In fact, I'm going to put you down as a write-in vote on my ballot in November.

For city counsel seat #14.

Gwanatu T said:
Now that's weird. Same people buying the game every year confirmed? PS2 and PS3 are reversed, which actually makes it even stranger.

:D

YTD

PS3 2 million

PS2 1.5 million

YTD (07)

PS2 1.9 million

PS3 1 million

justchris

Opiate said:
In some cases, I think one could genuinely make the case that a certain product is artistically valuable. Staying away from games, just to be safe, I think you'd have a difficult time arguing to most reasonable people that The Brothers Karamazov is devoid of artistic value. However, in some cases, the "art" label is simply used as a protective sheath; in the case of games, I think the discussion has become more heated in recent months because the 360 and PS3 are falling further and further behind the Wii. How can one "prove" that their games are better even if the majority are rejecting them? Insist that they are "art" and thus, no matter how poorly one's preferred games sell, they are still better than the consumerist pap. It's a bit how Rockstar used "our games are art" in the PS2 days to shield themselves from posssible criticisms of their games.

The problem I see with the people arguing about games being art is that they focus on things like graphics and music, which completely misses the point. It's like everyone is caught up in a perception of art and they proceed to completely ignore reality.

The thing is, a picture is art, a novel is art, a movie is art and a song is art, but these 4 types of art are not judged on the same criteria, nor are they built the same. Determining the artistic value of a video game based on its grapics, sound and art direction (wow, that term's gonna be a problem here, oh well) are not the criteria to judge if a game is art.

I think, when judging whether a game is art, we should go back to Super Mario Bros. Shigeru Miyamoto has a background in industrial design. The keyword here being design. Super Mario Bros is a work of art not because it's pretty, but because of it's design and structure. Just like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Empire State Building, the art is in the design.

Judging it by that criteria, it's easy to see the differences between shovelware (like Babiez) and phoned in stuff (like Madden) versus works of art where the creator focused on the design and structure to present the best possible experience. While graphics and music are part of this structure, they are not the defining quality of it, only an aspect. And just like gaming has it's mass market shovelware, all forms of art have mechanically produced mass market tripe that mimics the qualities of real art and cheapens the entire genre.

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, and the numbers for 360 are so good/numbers for Wii so bad, that they can earn more money making games for 360 than for Wii (due to higher cover price). They'll also spend considerably more money making the game, of course. But they have the opportunity for a PC port, or these days for a PS3 port; the extra cost there is usually minimal versus the returns. Wii doesn't have the same option.

I'm not trying to say Wii's situation is bad in any absolute terms; no console that sells 700k in two consecutive summer months has anything to worry about! I'm just pointing out why third parties might not find Wii as much of an obvious decision as, say, PS2 was last gen.

This is understandable based on the evidence presented. Part of the complaint, however, is that 3rd parties haven't really taken the chance to experiment with the Wii and see if they could really produce better numbers with better quality work. You see people constantly complaining that the 360 & PS3 have more quality games than the Wii. Well, when you consider it that way, it seems remarkable that the Wii even manages to sell 3rd party software at all, since the consensus seems to be that the Wii doesn't really have much in the way of quality 3rd party offerings.

So the argument is, since the Wii clearly is capable of selling 3rd party software, it behooves 3rd parties to offer better quality software, with the expectation being that it will sell better because: a) it has a larger userbase to sell to, b) it is superior in quality to other competing offerings on the console and c) it has less competition than it would on the PS3/360.

legend166

justchris said:
The problem I see with the people arguing about games being art is that they focus on things like graphics and music, which completely misses the point. It's like everyone is caught up in a perception of art and they proceed to completely ignore reality.

The thing is, a picture is art, a novel is art, a movie is art and a song is art, but these 4 types of art are not judged on the same criteria, nor are they built the same. Determining the artistic value of a video game based on its grapics, sound and art direction (wow, that term's gonna be a problem here, oh well) are not the criteria to judge if a game is art.

I think, when judging whether a game is art, we should go back to Super Mario Bros. Shigeru Miyamoto has a background in industrial design. The keyword here being design. Super Mario Bros is a work of art not because it's pretty, but because of it's design and structure. Just like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Empire State Building, the art is in the design.

Judging it by that criteria, it's easy to see the differences between shovelware (like Babiez) and phoned in stuff (like Madden) versus works of art where the creator focused on the design and structure to present the best possible experience. While graphics and music are part of this structure, they are not the defining quality of it, only an aspect. And just like gaming has it's mass market shovelware, all forms of art have mechanically produced mass market tripe that mimics the qualities of real art and cheapens the entire genre.

Completely agree with this.

sphinx said:
is there an estimate about when will the Wii surpass 360&PS3 combined?

I'd say January 2010
As one way of approaching the problem, I took average weekly sales for 2008 thus far and assume they'll generally continue on like that, except for November being a double month and December being a quadruple month. In that case, Wii doesn't pull ahead of PS360 until September 2011, at a bit over 38 million each.

I also notice that by the end of this three year period, PS3 has decreased X360's lead to only 3 million units.

titiklabingapat said:
Earleir than that. I'd say Mid to late 2009.
Let's say the end of 2009. Counting November and December as double/quadruple months again, for Wii to catch up in that time frame it will have to outsell PS360 by 47.9K/week in standard months. It has done better than that twice this year: April and May.

justchris

JoshuaJSlone said:
As one way of approaching the problem, I took average weekly sales for 2008 thus far and assume they'll generally continue on like that, except for November being a double month and December being a quadruple month. In that case, Wii doesn't pull ahead of PS360 until September 2011, at a bit over 38 million each.

I also notice that by the end of this three year period, PS3 has decreased X360's lead to only 3 million units.

Let's say the end of 2009. Counting November and December as double/quadruple months again, for Wii to catch up in that time frame it will have to outsell PS360 by 47.9K/week in standard months. It has done better than that twice this year: April and May.

I'm wondering how the change in production and shipments will affect these numbers. For one thing, I don't think the Wii will gain as much on the PS360 during November and December because of supply constraints. On the other hand, they may gain by even more throughout the rest of next year if production continues to increase.

Really though, I'm wondering if Nintendo will allocate more units to the US for the run up to the holidays. I would honestly consider 450k for September very disappointing for the Wii.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Leon, you realize that having less games/systems than some collectors, but playing ALL of them makes you even more incredible than the rest of them, don't you?

Anyway, pics of your game collection, puriizu!

milanbaros

Member?
justchris said:
Really though, I'm wondering if Nintendo will allocate more units to the US for the run up to the holidays. I would honestly consider 450k for September very disappointing for the Wii.

Worldwide I think this Oct/Nov/Dec will be massive for the Wii but I don't know how many will be allocated to the US.

Last year the Wii sold 519k, 981k, 1.35m for a 2.85m total in a quarter where Nintendo shipped 6.96m or 41% of world total. The 6.96m shipment was 37.4% of the annual 18.61m shipment total.

This year Nintendo forecast to ship 26.5m, a 7.89m or 42.4% increase over last year. If Nintendo ships the same proportion in Oct-Dec and the same percentage of this shipment is sent to the US as last year then sales should be 4.06m.

If the same pattern of last year is shown then this will break down as 739k, 1.40m and 1.92m.

This is all dependent on Nintendo allocating Wiis the same as last year but I don't think this will be the case. Both Japan and Europe are supply/demand balanced now, with the US market still supply constrained, combine this with a stronger dollar and there is greater incentive for Nintendo to ship to the US.

Prior to this year the biggest shipment for a console was the playstation 2 in 2002/03 with 22.52m. This coincided with competition crushing sales of 4.5m for Oct-Dec.

Hope that was interesting to someone.

radjago

milanbaros said:
Both Japan and Europe are supply/demand balanced now, with the US market still supply constrained, combine this with a stronger dollar and there is greater incentive for Nintendo to ship to the US.
The dollar may be strengthening, but it's still only back to about where it was this time last year. I wouldn't expect much more of a portion to the US quite yet.

Eteric Rice

justchris said:

This is understandable based on the evidence presented. Part of the complaint, however, is that 3rd parties haven't really taken the chance to experiment with the Wii and see if they could really produce better numbers with better quality work. You see people constantly complaining that the 360 & PS3 have more quality games than the Wii. Well, when you consider it that way, it seems remarkable that the Wii even manages to sell 3rd party software at all, since the consensus seems to be that the Wii doesn't really have much in the way of quality 3rd party offerings.

So the argument is, since the Wii clearly is capable of selling 3rd party software, it behooves 3rd parties to offer better quality software, with the expectation being that it will sell better because: a) it has a larger userbase to sell to, b) it is superior in quality to other competing offerings on the console and c) it has less competition than it would on the PS3/360.

Agree with this completely.

Top Bottom