• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jag22 said:

You can't deny that Guitar Hero is one of the 3 biggest 3rd party releases of every year. And the excellent Guitar Hero Wii sells vs the less good Guitar Hero sells on the PS3/360 is why more 3rd party developers should invest more in the Wii.

I really dunno how anyone can deny this point

Flakster99

Jag22 said:
Throwing personal insults at someone because they don't agree with your opinion isn't the best way to get your point across.

You're absolutely right. Let's try the head-on approach instead.

You're being purposely dense. You're being obtuse. You're slow on the uptake. Your comprehension and deduction skills need a make over. You're making absolutely zero sense.

Though, for some of us you are providing some hilarity, so what the heck, man, bleet away. ;)

Found it. IGN Voice Chat Episode 19 Summary.

Listen to the podcast for the full chat on NPD data, if you want. Starts at 4:00, goes to ~9:00.

They really emphasize how much better some 3rd party games are selling compared to general "misconceptions."

About 3rd party game sales on Wii, Bozon says "There are some pretty shocking ones."

Some notes:

- Upward trend for Madden for Wii from 07 to 08.
- Guitar Hero 3 sold best on Wii domestically.
- Direct quote from Matt regarding Tiger Woods: "For two years running now, Tiger Woods has sold best on Wii as well. I think that's pretty damn surprising."

tabsina

Jag22 said:
I always see a lot of 3rd party 360 games in the top 10 while the Wii always has multiple first party games.

Dunno how they aren't.

how many first party games does Microsoft sell?
how many first party games does Nintendo sell?

evaluate the difference and therein you'll find your answer

yoopoo

Banned
DayShallCome said:
Found it. IGN Voice Chat Episode 19 Summary.

Listen to the podcast for the full chat on NPD data, if you want. Starts at 4:00, goes to ~9:00.

They really emphasize how much better some 3rd party games are selling compared to general "misconceptions."

About 3rd party game sales on Wii, Bozon says "There are some pretty shocking ones."

Some notes:

- Upward trend for Madden for Wii from 07 to 08.
- Guitar Hero 3 sold best on Wii domestically.
- Direct quote from Matt regarding Tiger Woods: "For two years running now, Tiger Woods has sold best on Wii as well. I think that's pretty damn surprising."
That podcast was almost a month ago, August NPD came out last week. Tiger 09 360 outsold Wii version, it sold 56k.

just tray

Banned
Maybe if the third party made good games and put a Nintendo like effort to their games (not talking to capcom) they would have Nintendo type sales

yoopoo said:
That podcast was almost a month ago, August NPD came out last week. Tiger 08 360 outsold Wii version, it sold 56k.

I think you're talking about Tiger 09, which just came out. Unless Tiger 08 sold 56k in August, which would be shocking, considering 09 had just been released.

I think this points out a big disparity between 360 and Wii sales trends. It's hard for us to notice, because we only get the top 10, but Wii games seem to have a much longer tail than a lot of 360 games. Flavor of the month, and all that.

Edit: Nice edit. :) See my point above.

markatisu

yoopoo said:
That podcast was almost a month ago, August NPD came out last week. Tiger 09 360 outsold Wii version, it sold 56k.

So games only sell for 30 days and then they are done? Good to know, in 6 months the trends should show (as they did 2007 and 2008) that the Wii version will have sold more

I guess nobody understands the whole "evergreen" theory of selling games

Jag22

Banned
Flakster99 said:
Jag22, there is a mountain full of data available, charts and breakdowns between 1st and 3rd between all 3 consoles. I highly suggest you take the time and educate yourself.

What those charts do not tell us is what percentage of those games were sold at $9.99 or less. I can walk into Target right now and see more Wii games priced at $9.99 than their entire stock of 360 games. The charts do not tell us how many of the 3rd party sales were made up of the NinjaBread Mans and Dragon Blades of the Wii's library.

jman2050

Jag22 said:
What those charts do not tell us is what percentage of those games were sold at $9.99 or less. I can walk into Target right now and see more Wii games priced at $9.99 than their entire stock of 360 games. The charts do not tell us how many of the 3rd party sales were made up of the NinjaBread Mans and Dragon Blades of the Wii's library.

lkahsfdlkjagsdjkaksjcgbkjsahxckajshdxnlj

yoopoo

Banned
markatisu said:
So games only sell for 30 days and then they are done? Good to know, in 6 months the trends should show (as they did 2007 and 2008) that the Wii version will have sold more

I guess nobody understands the whole "evergreen" theory of selling games
Who said that in this thread?

DayShallCome claimed Tiger Wii 09 outsold other versions, thats incorrect.

Jag22 said:

Now we're just getting silly. The reason those games are selling for 9.99 is because (generally) they're selling badly. Economics is a bitch.

markatisu

yoopoo said:
Who said that in this thread?

DayShallCome claimed Tiger Wii 09 outsold other versions, thats incorrect.

No DayShallCome was pointing out the IGN podcast that said Tiger Woods 07 and 08 outsold their counterparts (he even said let me find it to prove that point), he was using that to show that Tiger Woods 09 would likely outsell its counterparts.

markatisu

DayShallCome said:
Now we're just getting silly. The reason those games are selling for 9.99 is because (generally) they're selling badly. Economics is a bitch.

Yes if Ninjabread Man sold 500k- 1 million copies trust me there would be a massive amount of press releases letting us know that.

Nobody is disputing the Wii has crap shovelware in large margins, but now I am having a hard time exactly what the argument is because it keeps changing when a point gets disproven

Jag22

Banned
DayShallCome said:
Many Wii games have a MSRP of $19.99 and $9.99. Just go to Target and you'll see a lot of games that never get reviews or receive any previews, games that are obviously directed towards kids. Games that no one on GAF have probably played, but have been purchased by plenty of parents looking for cheap games for their kids/grandkids.

schuelma said:
You can't deny that Guitar Hero is one of the 3 biggest 3rd party releases of every year. And the excellent Guitar Hero Wii sells vs the less good Guitar Hero sells on the PS3/360 is why more 3rd party developers should invest more in the Wii.

I really dunno how anyone can deny this point

/thread

As far as I know, GH was killing on the Wii and isn't that a huge third party title? Just saying.

markatisu

Jag22 said:
Many Wii games have a MSRP of $19.99 and $9.99. Just go to Target and you'll see a lot of games that never get reviews or receive any previews, games that are obviously directed towards kids. Games that no one on GAF have probably played, but have been purchased by plenty of parents looking for cheap games for their kids/grandkids.

So your point now is what that the Wii is a kiddie system?

And the MSRP is not $9.99, most of those games come in at $29.99 and are marked down or sold at a special price as part of budget title promotions

In the rare occurance there are ones that are MSRP $9.99 it would be just a continuation of the ones that arrived on the PS2, just moved to another system

Jag22

Banned
markatisu said:
So your point now is what that the Wii is a kiddie system?

And the MSRP is not $9.99, most of those games come in at $29.99 and are marked down or sold at a special price as part of budget title promotions

In the rare occurance there are ones that are MSRP $9.99 it would be just a continuation of the ones that arrived on the PS2, just moved to another system

Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. All these games had a $19.99 or less MSRP from the getgo.

51reo97n8zlaa262ne8.jpg
51oeycgkqelaa262en2.jpg
51jolywtxulaa262bw6.jpg
51386qxflaa262kx1.jpg

51omnhd83laa262mc9.jpg
51m5ebhpclaa262fx0.jpg
51j3q9yuuslaa262yc5.jpg

There's dozens of more games like them. Just go to your local Target and you'll see them.

Nicktals

Banned
Jag is only selectively responding to posts.

Madden sold 'poorly' on Wii.

OK, Jag, what about Guitar Hero? What about Tiger Woods 07 and 08? What about the most recent Lego game (Indiana was it?).

Also, I'd like to add that I was surprised to see Madden on a Nintendo console in the top 10 period. Madden would sell what, 50k on the GC? (I'm just pulling that from my ass, but now I'm kind of curious...anyone know?)

EDIT: Now I'm not even sure what his point is. That the only 3rd party games that sell are budget shovelware games? And that there are no Madden fans who own a Wii? Then I'd be really interested in how he feels about those games I mentioned earlier.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
just tray said:
Wii will win the hardware war
360 will win the software war
and PS3 won the format war

A victory for everyone now lets get back to gaming

Wasn't there a chart available saying that the Wii has sold more software than the 360 did by the same point in its lifetime?

I may be wrong.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Speevy said:
Absolutely they should. Sink millions of dollars into quality Wii third party games, even exclusives. But which genres?

Zombies, clearly

Speevy

Banned
Jag22 said:
Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. All these games had a $19.99 or less MSRP from the getgo.

51reo97n8zlaa262ne8.jpg
51oeycgkqelaa262en2.jpg
51jolywtxulaa262bw6.jpg
51386qxflaa262kx1.jpg

51omnhd83laa262mc9.jpg
51m5ebhpclaa262fx0.jpg
51j3q9yuuslaa262yc5.jpg

There's dozens of more games like them. Just go to your local Target and you'll see them.

See, I hate these types of games, which is why I'm quoting your awesome post so these crappy games turn into frogs.

basik

Jag22 said:
You can't deny that Madden is one of the 5 biggest 3rd party releases of every year. And the poor Madden sells vs the good Madden sells on the PS3/360 is why more 3rd party developers don't invest more in the Wii.

I really dunno how anyone can deny this point.

you are blaming the customers because they dont like the product... madden has always sold worse on the cube and I dont know how it sold before that... hardcore nintendo fans dont like it because most of them werent buying it while other games sold millions.
we dont like madden....but EA seems to be ok selling a few hundred thousand because they keep making it every year.

read my earlier post:

I'm glad madden isnt doing better on wii, EA is gonna have to come up with more new games for wii if they want a slice of the huge market nintendo has created. I've been nintendo only since the dreamcast holocaust and have never bought a madden game and from the sales on gc and now wii it seems most nintendo fans arent interested in it either, what is kinda surprising is that the new expanded market isnt buying it and they arent the typical nintendo hardcore like me...still good news to me, EA cant rely on yearly roster updates on the top selling console, GREAT news.

If they brought back mutant league football/hockey then I'd buy it, to me those mutant league games were like the mario sports games are now, crazy & fun.

edit: heres a vid of mutant league football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wghznH7Jtbw

Speevy

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Wasn't there a chart available saying that the Wii has sold more software than the 360 did by the same point in its lifetime?

I may be wrong.

Nobody has updated data to this effect, but the Wii's software has been outselling the 360's in 2008, I think.

Nicktals

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

I may be wrong.

Yes, earlier in this thread.

360 will not win the 'software' war, if we're talking about total number of games sold.

EDIT: It only covered like the first year or 18 months on shelves, I believe. But I'd imagine it's only distanced itself from 360 in that regard over the following months.

markatisu

Jag22 said:

Do you even realize how retail works, I think with the exception of Game Party, most of those games if they are at Target on the on the "budget" endcap not in the main retail display case. They reside alongside DS, PSP, and PS2 titles. I was at 4 Targets today and saw none of those games inside the actual Wii display case that EVERY Target has

Again I am not sure what your argument is trying to be? Just as the PS2 was the Wii is home to shovelware, but there are a lot of 3rd party successes mentioned here already like GH3 which outsold the others, Lego Indy, Lego SW (is pretty strong right behind the 360 ver), Tiger Woods for the last two years

Speevy

Banned
I enjoyed playing games like Tak and the Power of Juju with my nephew. That was a licensed game, based on an animated property, yet it wasn't shovelware.

The Wii needs games like that, not software that would get rejected from XBLA.

Jag22

Banned
Nicktals said:
Jag is only selectively responding to posts.

Madden sold 'poorly' on Wii.

OK, Jag, what about Guitar Hero? What about Tiger Woods 07 and 08? What about the most recent Lego game (Indiana was it?).

Also, I'd like to add that I was surprised to see Madden on a Nintendo console in the top 10 period. Madden would sell what, 50k on the GC? (I'm just pulling that from my ass, but now I'm kind of curious...anyone know?)

EDIT: Now I'm not even sure what his point is. That the only 3rd party games that sell are budget shovelware games? And that there are no Madden fans who own a Wii? Then I'd be really interested in how he feels about those games I mentioned earlier.

I think the Lego games and Guitar Hero fits inline with the Wii's library. Those two games sold to the same audience that bought Wii Play and High School Musical on the Wii.

legend166

Jag22 said:
I think the Lego games and Guitar Hero fits inline with the Wii's library. Those two games sold to the same audience that bought Wii Play and High School Musical on the Wii.

Guitar Hero is kiddie folks, you heard it here first!

jibblypop

Banned
Madden sells to a type of gamer, that is true. They are gamers that like sports games! So is your point that people that own a Wii dont like sports games?
Tiger Woods sales prove that assumption isn't true. Maybe they just don't like the Madden game on the wii vs the HD versions? Whereas they see the Tiger Woods game as a superior product vs the HD versions because they appreciate the swing mechanic.

That is one logical way to look at this Madden data. But your batshit insane way is more fun so go on then.

Nicktals

Banned
Jag22 said:

But they also fit in line with the 360's audience.

Is the universe going to explode now?

Jag22

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I think you're confusing kiddie with family entertainment.
Lego is a kidde/family game.

Guitar Hero is more a party game. Which is what tends to be popular on the Wii.

I really think those two games are bad examples of "3rd party games sell on the Wii". Of course 3rd party games sell on the Wii.

But only the 3rd party games that fit inline with the Wii audience. Party games, family/kid games, ect.

Jag22 said:

I really think those two games are bad examples of "3rd party games sell on the Wii". Of course 3rd party games sell on the Wii.

But only the 3rd party games that fit inline with the Wii audience. Party games, family/kid games, ect.

So, which is Resident Evil?

Kiddie? Or party?

Nicktals

Banned
Jag22 said:

Could you just state what your main point is again? It's been tweaked and perverted every time you make a post, so I'd like to get a baseline again.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jag22 said:

Lego is not a family friendly game. I do not doubt some parents play the game with their kids, but this is not the type of game that manages to bring the whole family, even grandma, around the TV.

Jag22 said:

Guitar Hero was also extremely popular with the PS2 crowd back in the day. What does this say about PS2 users?

Jag22 said:

Certainly explains why Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition sold like hot cakes. :/

Jag22

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
So, which is Resident Evil?

Kiddie? Or party?

How well did Scarface and The Godfather sell on the Wii? How about Medal of Honor: Heroes 2? Tomb Raider: Anniversary? Need for Speed Carbon? How about Destroy All Humans?

Regulus Tera said:
Certainly explains why Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition sold like hot cakes. :/

The RE games on the Wii did not sell like Hotcakes. They sold well, but hotcakes would be something like Halo 3 with it's 8 million in sells, or COD 4 with it's 8+ million in sells or GTA4 with it's 6+ million in sells.

Something selling 500k to a 1,000,000 is not "selling like hotcakes".

jibblypop

Banned
Jag22 said:
How well did Scarface and The Godfather sell on the Wii? How about Medal of Honor: Heroes 2? Tomb Raider: Anniversary? Need for Speed Carbon? How about Destroy All Humans?

He was asking you about resident evil.

Those trolls against Jag22 are ridiculous. Completely ignoring the Wii Madden sales as any kind of indication of Wii's demography is even more ridiculous. Maybe he is biased in some ways, but he does have some valid points.

jibblypop

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Those trolls against Jag22 are ridiculous. Completely ignoring the Wii Madden sales as any kind of indication of Wii's demography is even more ridiculous. Maybe he is biased in some ways, but he does have some valid points.

Then why does he keep ignoring the Tiger Woods data when it's aiming for the same audience? Both those games are aimed at sports fans.

Eteric Rice

Speevy said:
I enjoyed playing games like Tak and the Power of Juju with my nephew. That was a licensed game, based on an animated property, yet it wasn't shovelware.

The Wii needs games like that, not software that would get rejected from XBLA.

What the... Aren't you supposed to be a Sonybot? :O

jibblypop said:
Then why does he keep ignoring the Tiger Woods data when it's aiming for the same audience? Both those games are aimed at sports fans.

Games that can easily make good use of motion control definitely have an advantage on Wii. Golf is a good example.

Top Bottom