• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pswii60 said:
If I'd kept all my games over the years, I'd probably have 777 games too. I had 150+ games for the C64 alone. I don't see how it can be used to justify anything though. EDIT: Just noticed that it's related to some former retarted posts. Fair enough. Of course hardcore gamers can like, or prefer, the Wii.

I don't understand collecting or collectors. I'm not a hoarder, and don't have enough time to play the latest games, let alone 777 old ones.
I don't understand trading in a game just because you beat it and something else new and shiny is coming out that week. Your gaming library should accumulate. I think BC is a step in the right direction.

Jag22

Banned
jgwhiteus said:
I think that's the point...there is no typical "Wii gamer". First, its audience isn't entirely made up of "casual" players (hate that term) -
I guess that's why Madden sold so well on the Wii.

Jag22

Banned
If the Wii is owned by every type of gamer, and not just the "casual" audience. Then why didn't Madden sell better on the Wii?

Like it or not the Madden sales are an indicator of who owns the Wii.

Jag22 said:
If the Wii is owned by every type of gamer, and not just the "casual" audience. Then why didn't Madden sell better on the Wii?

It simply means that Wii owners do not like Madden. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jag22 said:

I'm as hardcore as anyone around here and certainly more hardcore than your ass, and I've never bought a fucking Madden game in my entire life.

Madden not selling well likely points to one thing: the Madden audience isn't choosing the Wii version of Madden. Your conclusion essentially states that anyone who doesn't buy Madden is a "casual". That's completely fucking retarded.

Eteric Rice

Jag22 said:
I guess that's why Madden sold so well on the Wii.

Betty_white.jpg

Jag22

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
It simply means that Wii owners do not like Madden. Nothing more, nothing less.
No, it means the Wii will continue to receive games like Smarty Pants because that is the Wii audience. The Wii audience isn't Half Life, it isn't GTA, it isn't Madden. The Wii audience is however Carnival Games.

The Madden sells proves that point.

jman2050

Jag22 said:
No, it means the Wii will continue to receive games like Smarty Pants because that is the Wii audience. The Wii audience isn't Half Life, it isn't GTA, it isn't Madden. The Wii audience is however Carnival Games.

facepalm.gif

Jag22 said:

Since when is Madden hardcore?

Madden has always been a casual game that appeals primarily to football fans.

I would guess that it just shows that most people don't want to play Madden on the Wii. Which doesn't really tell you all that much.

Jag22 said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'proof' or the verb 'prove'.

The sales of Madden support your argument, but they by no means prove it.

Jag22 said:

Maybe I missed it but can you tell me the release dates of GTA Wii and Half Life Wii?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jag22 said:

This has to be some kind of paid professional troll. No one could be this thick on accident.

jman2050

_leech_ said:
Maybe in the 16 and early 32-bit eras, but Madden's been increasingly sim-like for a while now.

What does that have to do with its status as a casual game? Not that calling a game "casual" means anything, but I'm playing along for the hell of it.

Jag22

Banned
But people in this thread are saying there isn't a particular Wii audience. The Wii has all kinds of different gamers.

If that's true, then how can you say "Wii owners just aren't football fans". Isn't that contradictory?

Jag22 said:
But people in this thread are saying there isn't a particular Wii audience. The Wii has all kinds of different gamers.

If that's true, then how can you say "Wii owners just aren't football fans". Isn't that contradictory?
No it's not. Just because there are no(or relatively very little) football fans doesn't exclude any other groups from owning the system.

Just because I don't have a particula color of shirt doesn't mean all the shirts I own are black.

edit: beaten by the great Segata.

Jag22 said:

If I have a bowl of fruit and it has in it apples, oranges, bananas, pears, and peaches, I can say that my bowl has all kinds of different fruit in it. That there are no grapes in my bowl doesn't mean my bowl contains only one type of fruit.

Jag22

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
No it's not. Just because there are no(or relatively very little) football fans doesn't exclude any other groups from owning the system.
Then you can't honestly say the Wii has "every type of gamer". Because going by what you're saying, it doesn't.

Jag has won his point. You guys must concede that the Wii does not contain a significant number of each and every type of gamer on the planet.

This is definitely a major strike against the Wii.

Jag22 said:
Then you can't honestly say the Wii has "every type of gamer". Because going by what you're saying, it doesn't.

I think the point is that Wii owners don't like Madden on Wii. That's all that can really be gleaned from these sales numbers.

I mean, Wii sales of Tiger 08 outpaced both 360 and PS3 sales (not combined). What does that say about Wii's userbase?

DayShallCome said:
I think the point is that Wii owners don't like Madden on Wii. That's all that can really be gleaned from these sales numbers.

I mean, Wii sales of Tiger 08 outpaced both 360 and PS3 sales (not combined). What does that say about Wii's userbase?
Clearly it says that the PS3 and 360 only have FPS fans in their audience. I can tell from the Tiger Woods sells and seeing quite a few data analyses in my time.

Jag22

Banned
DayShallCome said:

Outpaced is definitely different than outsold.

Jag22

Banned
Machado said:
why don't you just come out of the closet and say you are a raging fanboy?
No, just discussing NPD sales. The top 10 sales are very indicative of the industry right now. One of the biggest 3rd party releases of the year flopped on the Wii, while the first party games are going strong.

Which tells me that the trend of lackluster 3rd party Wii support will continue. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, i'm sure Nintendo loves having less competition.

Flakster99

Now for my somewhat serious reply.

Jag22 said:
No, just discussing NPD sales. The top 10 sales are very indicative of the industry right now. One of the biggest 3rd party releases of the year flopped on the Wii, while the first party games are going strong.

Which tells me that the trend of lackluster 3rd party Wii support will continue. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, i'm sure Nintendo loves having less competition.

Jag22, there is a mountain full of data available, charts and breakdowns between 1st and 3rd between all 3 consoles. I highly suggest you take the time and educate yourself.

ElyrionX said:
Hmmm, did Tiger Woods 08 on Wii really outpace the 360 and PS3 versions? Any link?

It was mentioned on one of the recent IGN podcasts. They were discussing the surprisingly solid 3rd party sales on Wii, and how some perceptions of success (or lack thereof) of such games on Wii were incorrect. They were looking at NPD data.

If no one remembers the episode, I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm by my computer.

Jag22

Banned
You can't deny that Madden is one of the 5 biggest 3rd party releases of every year. And the poor Madden sells vs the good Madden sells on the PS3/360 is why more 3rd party developers don't invest more in the Wii.

I really dunno how anyone can deny this point.

Jag22

Banned
Flakster99 said:
Dear Jag22,

''Nobody likes you, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny. Now smile, you douche.''

Throwing personal insults at someone because they don't agree with your opinion isn't the best way to get your point across.

just tray

Banned
Wii will win the hardware war
360 will win the software war
and PS3 won the format war

A victory for everyone now lets get back to gaming

Jag22

Banned
I always see a lot of 3rd party 360 games in the top 10 while the Wii always has multiple first party games.

Dunno how they aren't.

markatisu

legend166 said:
No, they're not. They never are.

Exactly but he does not want to admit that a majority of Wii games follow the DS structure non impressive 1st month and then repetitive business the remainder of the year (see Madden 08 sales)

Under his logic every DS game is a flop, and that system has how many million sellers that never make it in the Top 10 by 3rd parties? Just saying
I always see a lot of 3rd party 360 games in the top 10 while the Wii always has multiple first party games.

Dunno how they aren't.

360 games are extremely front loaded, always have been. With few exceptions like COD4, GTAIV, but those are massive budget 3rd party releases on par with Nintendo 1st party

Madden 09 Wii was not that caliber :lol

Top Bottom