• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Poor Del Rio, that extra work.

Alberto_Del_Rio_e_Ricardo_Rodriguez_ballano.gif

Mengetsu

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE officials reportedly have "given up" on the push for Bo Dallas, which explains why his winning streak was ended by R-Truth a few weeks back. We've noted before that Bo was one of the gimmicks that Vince McMahon had lost interest in.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

he was over though?

i mean jeez they keep building things up, succeeding, then dropping them RIGHT when they are about to boil over. i was looking forward to a troll US title run or something for Bo. He's been consistently fun.

what gives?

cesaro is a similar thing with a different personality (well, none, but good in ring personality).

Gonzalez

Banned
Honestly I really don't know how he was called up in the first place. Dude has a great gimmick, but I've seen IWA-MS wrestlers run the ropes(Twizzlers really) better than he has.

does it not occur to them that in a 3 hour weekly show you can have more than 1 or 2 main event storylines going on? i though r truth and bo were gonna be a feud which would solidify bo as a heel. they should have an early card summerslam match or something, probably for the US title if they had worked that out somehow.

there's brock vs cena, steph vs brie and rollins vs ambrose and apart from that the rest is just a bunch of chaff.

3 hours and they can't develop storylines beyond 'john and brock are ready to fight!!!' and 'dean continues to do the exact same thing he's been doing for two months'.

like very little actually happens from week to week, and not much more at ppvs. there is so much empty space and they think they've got the leverage to 'lose interest' in things that the fans are actually reacting to?

wrestling is so daft. i've been watching pretty much since the rumble cos i heard bout the bryan stuff somehow. i'm pretty embarrassed to be watching as is, it could at least be fun more than 15% of the time.

okay...summerslam, and then that's it for me. i'm gonna make a promise to myself.

does it not occur to them that in a 3 hour weekly show you can have more than 1 or 2 main event storylines going on? i though r truth and bo were gonna be a feud which would solidify bo as a heel. they should have an early card summerslam match or something, probably for the US title if they had worked that out somehow.

there's brock vs cena, steph vs brie and rollins vs ambrose and apart from that the rest is just a bunch of chaff.

3 hours and they can't develop storylines beyond 'john and brock are ready to fight!!!' and 'dean continues to do the exact same thing he's been doing for two months'.

like very little actually happens from week to week, and not much more at ppvs. there is so much empty space and they think they've got the leverage to 'lose interest' in things that the fans are actually reacting to?

wrestling is so daft. i've been watching pretty much since the rumble cos i heard bout the bryan stuff somehow. i'm pretty embarrassed to be watching as is, it could at least be fun more than 15% of the time.

okay...summerslam, and then that's it for me. i'm gonna make a promise to myself.

When Brock wins, you'll be back

Sokantish

Who cares? It still had short term appeal. They could have let that play out before making Bo nameless jobber #843.

We all know WWE is always thinking 10 steps ahead, okay? They know what they are doing. They saw where this was going and decided sure, people like it now, but will they like it 10 years from now? The answer is no. So what's the point?

It's getting sad to the point where I fast forward through a 3 hour Raw in about 10 minutes now, and on mute because the commentary is god awful. My sub is up after SS and I am probably going to take a break myself unless Brock wins, that will make things a little interesting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why try to put over anyone? Why try to make any superstar better or more important? Why make the fans care about superstars, matches, stories or feuds?

What?
Man, I can't wait for every Bo feud.
'Hey Bo the crowd doesn't like you'
cheer
'Yes they do!'
boo

That's every Bo feud with that gimmick. Every single one. And if he changes gimmicks? Great, it's still the same shitty wrestler Bo Dallas.

This has been a problem for 10 years. They aren't changing it. You are making the smart move by leaving after Summerslam. It's really a waste of 3 hours. Just read recaps like me. If a segment interests you then you can YouTube it.

Man, coming up with a wrestling gimmick is probably tough as hell. If you have no gimmick, you have to be (That Motherfucker) Dean Malenko levels of in ring story telling. Too gimmicky, you end up like the fucking Vaudevillians, pigeonholed and destined for comedy segments. Guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, and Hogan all had charisma enough to distract that they were just really loud guys. Someone like Undertaker looks like he could beat your ass and he was damn good in the ring, so you can forgive his otherwise silly gimmick.

Gonzalez

Banned
Fuck, I just realized that if they go through with Lesnar Vs. Reigns they'll have to build it up with Paul Heyman on the mic Vs. Reigns on the mic. Roman is going to be eaten alive by Heyman, unless he goes easy on him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, coming up with a wrestling gimmick is probably tough as hell. If you have no gimmick, you have to be (That Motherfucker) Dean Malenko levels of in ring story telling. Too gimmicky, you end up like the fucking Vaudevillians, pigeonholed and destined for comedy segments. Guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, and Hogan all had charisma enough to distract that they were just really loud guys. Someone like Undertaker looks like he could beat your ass and he was damn good in the ring, so you can forgive his otherwise silly gimmick.

I don't think a guy in modern WWE with the short attention span of their crowds could ever get away with being a Dean Malenko. That was a gimmick that only worked in WCW because there was still that heavy emphasis on wrasslin even if the main card had interference all the time. The mid card still felt important where as all of WWF in the Attitude Era's midcard was all a joke. Was always a joke, and anyone who tells you otherwise is some insane Godfather fan.

You might think Daniel Bryan, but Daniel Bryan had a lot more than just in ring storytelling to get him over. The chants, the strong 'cool' stable in the Shield, the strong antagonist in Triple H, etc. Dean just got over because he wrestled. I don't even remember a single word he said.

I don't think a guy in modern WWE with the short attention span of their crowds could ever get away with being a Dean Malenko. That was a gimmick that only worked in WCW because there was still that heavy emphasis on wrasslin even if the main card had interference all the time. The mid card still felt important where as all of WWF in the Attitude Era's midcard was all a joke. Was always a joke, and anyone who tells you otherwise is some insane Godfather fan.

You might think Daniel Bryan, but Daniel Bryan had a lot more than just in ring storytelling to get him over. The chants, the strong 'cool' stable in the Shield, the strong antagonist in Triple H, etc. Dean just got over because he wrestled. I don't even remember a single word he said.

Let's put our cards on the table; Bryan's heel work is what got him over. He was fantastic in the role

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Let's put our cards on the table; Bryan's heel work is what got him over. He was fantastic in the role

Well, it helped that his 'face role' with Kane was still his heel character. It wasn't some random gosh golly I sure am a good guy moment until we started seeing boring irl Bryan

This has been a problem for 10 years. They aren't changing it. You are making the smart move by leaving after Summerslam. It's really a waste of 3 hours. Just read recaps like me. If a segment interests you then you can YouTube it.

i'll just have to cut myself off completely cos i'll find myself allowing a little browsing in here out of habit and reading a post and thinking 'huh that segment sounds good' and then basically i'm back in already.

i mean this all started with me last summer looking up the undertaker's ministry entrance on my phone on the train home from work one day. and a year later here i am.

i don't even know WHY i want to see brock win, i'm just kinda sucked into the 'yeah...i want to see the bad guy win....' and okay, if he does then i'll try to take that as my final bit of entertainment from this gigantic time sink. and if he loses i'll try to take it as 'well, that's another example of why this isn't fun' and not 'but MAYBE HE'LL WIN NEXT MONTH' or something.

this topic is like 70% of the reason i'm watching anyway. i just need to cut myself off after the summerslam stuff and move on with my life and free time.

BHZ Mayor

i'll just have to cut myself off completely cos i'll find myself allowing a little browsing in here out of habit and reading a post and thinking 'huh that segment sounds good' and then basically i'm back in already.

i mean this all started with me last summer looking up the undertaker's ministry entrance on my phone on the train home from work one day. and a year later here i am.

i don't even know WHY i want to see brock win, i'm just kinda sucked into the 'yeah...i want to see the bad guy win....' and okay, if he does then i'll try to take that as my final bit of entertainment from this gigantic time sink. and if he loses i'll try to take it as 'well, that's another example of why this isn't fun' and not 'but MAYBE HE'LL WIN NEXT MONTH' or something.

this topic is like 70% of the reason i'm watching anyway. i just need to cut myself off after the summerslam stuff and move on with my life and free time.

Tbh, the only reason I started back watching was WWE 2K14, and the only reason I bought it was because of this nostalgic itch to create myself in the game.

gurudyne

That's every Bo feud with that gimmick. Every single one. And if he changes gimmicks? Great, it's still the same shitty wrestler Bo Dallas.

Bo's not the best wrestler, but he's a good performer. I don't care if the feud as written is repetitive (I doubt we'd get better from creative anyway) because he keeps it fresh with his portrayal of the gimmick. He doesn't repeat the "butterfingers" line each week, he does something slightly different. Wish more wrestlers did that instead of the same catch phrases and spots several weeks in a row.

Heel

I'm curious what kind of internal tools WWE uses to measure whether or not wrestlers like Bo Dallas are "over as fuck." I doubt they're just going by their gut instincts alone at this point. Surely they use ratings metrics, HUT numbers, web analytics, merch sales etc. to soullessly end careers.

I'm curious what kind of internal tools WWE uses to measure whether or not wrestlers like Bo Dallas are "over as fuck." I doubt they're just going by their gut instincts alone at this point. Surely they use ratings metrics, HUT numbers, web analytics, merch sales etc. to soullessly end careers.

It honestly just seems capricious

jred2k

Don't forget the number of SuperCard decks they are in.

GAF's Royal Rumble OT from Jan 2013 is when I first started lurking here and it got me back into wrestling after a long hiatus. I still haven't forgiven anyone here for that. And I think I keep watching for the same reason as you.

Hasney

Good. That gimmick had zero legs for the long-term.

True, and I'm not a fan of Bo Dallas in the ring at all so this isn't really for him, but if they see potential in someone who has been saddled with a short term gimmick, shouldn't the writing team propose a slow transition into something else?

Don't forget the number of SuperCard decks they are in.

The reason Eva Marie is so good in that game.

Well at least the Cena vs Brock match should be good. Their last match was probably my favorite match of 2012 before I stopped watching a few months after that.

Mengetsu

I only started watching in 2011 but if anyone here has seen 2008-2011 is the product so bad right now you would rather not watch compared to those years? I hear those years were pretty bad...Even for two hour shows.

I only started watching in 2011 but if anyone here has seen 2008-2011 is the product so bad right now you would rather not watch compared to those years? I hear those years were pretty bad...Even for two hour shows.

Things have been pretty shitty these last few months that I am reminded of the 2007-2009 doldrums, the one thing the present has going for it over those years is you tend to get a much higher frequency of good to great matches across the year.

Top Bottom