• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Alucard

Banned
Truly, I recommend this match above all because I think it shows what Joshi of that era exactly was. Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto(hair vs hair) This was THE feud of that year, Chigusa is so over as a babyface, and Dump is so hated. Dump's not the best wrestler in the world, but she can work a crowd like no other woman in wrestling. I'd put her just below a Hogan on working a crowd, in fact. There's so much drama in this match that you'll be worn out by the end of it, and you'll immediately want to look up more Chigusa matches because she's so endearing with her efforts. She is what John Cena is supposed to be. She's strongly booked, a good wrestler, but she actually does take beatings and knows how to pour on the pity from the crowd to watch her make a comeback.
tumblr_na1r2hOYig1t34v14o4_500.jpg

Spoiler tagging the ending in case you want to see it fresh.
The fans are fucking pissed when Chigusa loses. It breaks their hearts, and they throw trash in the ring. Japanese fans. Throw trash in the ring. How often does that happen? It's the first time I've ever seen it personally.

I'll have to watch this later. I'm on my phone.

And props for giving Hogan the proper respect for his ability to work a crowd. He sold anguish SO well with his face. He wasn't allowed to be a really great wrestler, but his charisma was often unmatched.

jred2k

He didn't even get the chance to edit"be" into his post. He'll now just be known as the guy that said "Horse will devastated. "

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Truly, I recommend this match above all because I think it shows what Joshi of that era exactly was. Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto(hair vs hair) This was THE feud of that year, Chigusa is so over as a babyface, and Dump is so hated. Dump's not the best wrestler in the world, but she can work a crowd like no other woman in wrestling. I'd put her just below a Hogan on working a crowd, in fact. There's so much drama in this match that you'll be worn out by the end of it, and you'll immediately want to look up more Chigusa matches because she's so endearing with her efforts. She is what John Cena is supposed to be. She's strongly booked, a good wrestler, but she actually does take beatings and knows how to pour on the pity from the crowd to watch her make a comeback.
tumblr_na1r2hOYig1t34v14o4_500.jpg

Spoiler tagging the ending in case you want to see it fresh.
The fans are fucking pissed when Chigusa loses. It breaks their hearts, and they throw trash in the ring. Japanese fans. Throw trash in the ring. How often does that happen? It's the first time I've ever seen it personally.

Set up for Watch Later. Very ready for this.

Mengetsu

Mean while in WWE Land

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

While Dean Ambrose may be developing a strong following on his own pretty quickly in WWE, officials do not see him as being ready for a main event spot yet.

yhsacw.gif

Anyone else have a hankering for a Iron Man Match in WWE right now?

So many good wrestlers right now. Put a few of them in a ring and give them 60 minutes and see what happens.

Still surprised they havent done one since going to 3 hours

JavyOO7

I guess Reigns does have the look to be that top guy and has crowd support too, but... man. WWE wants him to hit a home run and I feel he could only hit a ground rule double right now.

jred2k

Anyone else have a hankering for a Iron Man Match in WWE right now?

So many good wrestlers right now. Put a few of them in a ring and give them 60 minutes and see what happens.

Still surprised they havent done one since going to 3 hours

Yeah I'd love to get another one sometime. If the NXT specials were more often I'd expect one on there.

KissVibes

Banned
I really hope they bring back King of the Ring within the next two years. And I want EVERYONE on the roster involved. Some match on TV, others on the Network. Build some fucking stars at all tiers with competitive matches.

BHZ Mayor

Mean while in WWE Land

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

yhsacw.gif

The optimist in me wants to say that they want to keep him in the upper mid card for about a year first, but the realist in me...sigh.

On another note, I say two Dolph Ziggler shirts in public this week. The 'Stealing the Show and Your Girlfriend' one in the gym Monday, and the 'I Am Perfection' one today at Five Guys. Reading previous OTs, I would have expected them to get laughed out of the building, but nope. Normal interactions just like everyone else.

I really hope they bring back King of the Ring within the next two years. And I want EVERYONE on the roster involved. Some match on TV, others on the Network. Build some fucking stars at all tiers with competitive matches.

I don't know if it could top the G1 for me. 90% of the roster would be booked like shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The optimist in me wants to say that they want to keep him in the upper mid card for about a year first, but the realist in me...sigh.

On another note, I say two Dolph Ziggler shirts in public this week. The 'Stealing the Show and Your Girlfriend' one in the gym Monday, and the 'I Am Perfection' one today at Five Guys. Reading previous OTs, I would have expected them to get laughed out of the building, but nope. Normal interactions just like everyone else.

That's because they were Dolph Ziggler shirts. Nobody knew they belonged to a wrestler.

So against my better judgement, I decided to go on vacation with my family.

I want to kill myself, friends.

I should've stayed in my own apartment eating ice cream in my underwear while playing kideo games.

Alucard

Banned
Can you imagine Ambrose as champ yet? I can't. I'm with the WWE on this one. Let him get through this Seth feud first. He'll be "ready" by Rumble or Mania, but he's not a threat to Brock at the moment. Needs to conquer Seth before anything, and before we can take him as a legit threat. Gotta remember that he hasn't been winning too many matches lately...interference or not.

Showaddy

I guess Reigns does have the look to be that top guy and has crowd support too, but... man. WWE wants him to hit a home run and I feel he could only hit a ground rule double right now.

As worthless as some of this insider info can be it's the "not ready yet" part that get's me, surely that means Reigns is out of the picture as well? Ambrose isn't like Bryan either because he's pretty tall with a good look to go with his ring work and great mic skills.

Unless of course they're cooling on Reigns and just want to keep the belt between Cena & Brock for a while.

Can you imagine Ambrose as champ yet? I can't. I'm with the WWE on this one. Let him get through this Seth feud first. He'll be "ready" by Rumble or Mania, but he's not a threat to Brock at the moment. Needs to conquer Seth before anything, and before we can take him as a legit threat. Gotta remember that he hasn't been winning too many matches lately...interference or not.
I agree that I can't picture him as champion...maybe. But I also can't picture reigns for some reason.

KissVibes

Banned
Ambrose is taller than Reigns! Is Reigns really that much bigger in terms of muscles? Dude wears baggy Hardy pants and that dumb vest. Is he covering a case of Rock pecs?

Gorillaz

So against my better judgement, I decided to go on vacation with my family.

I want to kill myself, friends.

I should've stayed in my own apartment eating ice cream in my underwear while playing kideo games.

How are those family selfies' turning out and matching family vacation clothes fit, friend?

It's probably something out of National Lampoon Vacation

How are those family selfies' turning out and matching family vacation clothes fit, friend?

It's probably something out of National Lampoon Vacation

If I had a dollar for every goddamn selfie they've taken so far…

#NeverAgain

Never give up, friend.

Vacationing with my family is basically like being in a Brock squash match. I'm not giving up, but I'm still fucked and want to kill myself either way.

Ambrose needs some more time to grow into his post Sheild character.

Reigns is his Shield character so I get why top brass feel better with that right now. I bet Ambrose gets a main event run post WM.

I guess Reigns will get the title at some point. Seth cashes in. Then at some point next summer Ambrose gets involved and they have a 3 way feud.

I will be curious to see how they do once the current run with Dean/Seth is over and the 3 sheild guys are not feuding with one another for a while

somedevil

Star Ratings from Meltzer for Summerslam:

RVD/Cesaro ***1/4
Ziggler/Miz **3/4
Page/AJ **1/4
Rusev/Jack ***1/4
Rollins/Ambrose ***3/4
Wyatt/Jericho ***
Steph/Brie **1/2
Reigns/Orton ****
Cena/Brock ****1/4

Plus from the maskedman:

I'm hearing Daniel Bryan needs Tommy John surgery and will be out at least 3 more months.

KissVibes

Banned
Four stars for Reigns/Orton?
Two and three forths for Miz/Ziggler?
Three and three forths for Ambrose/Rollins?
THREE FOR WYATT/Y2J?

Meltz is insane.

TJ takes a year plus when you're an MLB pitcher. For wrestling Bryan can probably get away with 4-5 months if they use him sparingly until Mania.
Yeah, I'm obviously going by the more familiar baseball timetable but 3 months seems a bit too optimistic. Guy should take as much time as needed and not rush back, shouldn't worry about being forgotten and all that stuff.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Inoki Era 1

I was looking up to see if there was an Inoki/Destroyer match from JWA online anywhere. What I came across was a rad YT channel called INOKI ERA. It's just random NJPW matches from the 70s through the mid 2000s. Like over 400 of them. So I decided I'd watch matches on shuffle and review them.

This set has

• The Cobra vs Black Tiger 1984
  • The Great Muta vs Super Strong Machine 8/25/1991
  • Akitoshi Saito vs Yosihaki Fujiwara 8/3/1993
  • Antonio Inoki vs Seiji Sakaguchi 4/26/1974
  • Sean McCully vs Kazuyki Fujita 10/11/1999
  • Bas Rutten vs Koji Kanemoto 10/26/2002
  • Steven Regal vs Wild Pegasus 9/23/1995

It's a little of everything. 80s junior style with a Euro flavor, a wild gimmicky brawl, shoot style, stiff grappling matches.

ibuxmkSX52qcPM.gif

iDuZR9X3pPEFM.gif

i5H5PZrgaAcyf.gif

ibwOGqY6qFBWwa.gif

iAgqatZ17Qf6l.gif

I wish the Inoki Era YT was actually youtube.com/inokiera instead of the random generated page.

Alucard

Banned
When is Elgin losing the title? Is it soon, because I want to watch ROH again.

Probably not until Final Battle at the earliest...which means he won't lose it until at least February at the anniversary show.

And ROH has been great regardless of whether or not you dig Elgin as champ. Wicked match between ACH and Tadarius Thomas this week.

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Inoki Era 1

I was looking up to see if there was an Inoki/Destroyer match from JWA online anywhere. What I came across was a rad YT channel called INOKI ERA. It's just random NJPW matches from the 70s through the mid 2000s. Like over 400 of them. So I decided I'd watch matches on shuffle and review them.

This set has

• The Cobra vs Black Tiger 1984
  • The Great Muta vs Super Strong Machine 8/25/1991
  • Akitoshi Saito vs Yosihaki Fujiwara 8/3/1993
  • Antonio Inoki vs Seiji Sakaguchi 4/26/1974
  • Sean McCully vs Kazuyki Fujita 10/11/1999
  • Bas Rutten vs Koji Kanemoto 10/26/2002
  • Steven Regal vs Wild Pegasus 9/23/1995

It's a little of everything. 80s junior style with a Euro flavor, a wild gimmicky brawl, shoot style, stiff grappling matches.

ibuxmkSX52qcPM.gif

iDuZR9X3pPEFM.gif

i5H5PZrgaAcyf.gif

ibwOGqY6qFBWwa.gif

iAgqatZ17Qf6l.gif

I wish the Inoki Era YT was actually youtube.com/inokiera instead of the random generated page.

This seems rad as hell, thanks for the find

Top Bottom