• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Chopper

In no particular order/

Stone Cold
The Rock
Eddie Guerrero
Kurt Angle
Chris Jericho

And yes, if Benoit hadn't killed his family, he would be on there. He'd probably muscle out Kurt. Just.

Ask me again in 5 years, and I'm pretty sure Daniel Bryan, Punk and Ziggler will be on there too...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I watched for such a short amount of time it's hard to come up with 5, hell it's hard to come up with 3.

1. Eddie Guerrero
2. Kurt Angle
3. Shelton Benjamin... I guess

i remember when Hardcore Holly started doin the Alabama slam i was bumbed because his sit out suplex was way cooler (called it the falcon arrow in WM2000)

Entropia

No One Remembers
A top 5 list is pretty hard, because there's the wrestlers I liked to watch wrestle, and there's people that entertained me.

Jericho and Angle are cross-overs into that, easily.

But Stone Cold and The Rock are two guys I was entertained by but didn't really enjoy their wrestling.

-Owen Hart
-Sting
-Mr Perfect
-Brain Busters( I know its supposed to be fav wrestler bugt they so good together as a tag team)
- Savage

It seems to me that it all gets drowned out with pages of Kane, AJ, and handshakes. A serious discussion can't last more than a few posts before it gets taken over. A discussion on the merits of territory wrasslin and late 80s, early 90s WWF is doomed to lose to people bitching about Cena and pushing their video game promotions.

Anyway, I really wish that, since all the main event guys wrestle every week on Raw and Smackdown anyway, that they'd be put in competitive matches with lower card guys. Like Bret did in the 90s and Flair did in the 80s. It makes the matches with two top level guys actually seem like a big deal, and does nothing but help lower card guys. And be way more interesting.

I don't know a damn thing about territorial wrestling and I really need to watch more 80s wrestling. I do admit that it does bore me at times =/

I watched for such a short amount of time it's hard to come up with 5, hell it's hard to come up with 3.

1. Eddie Guerrero
2. Kurt Angle
3. Shelton Benjamin... I guess

its also hard to just name 5 cause now im going to hell for forgetting Eddie Guerrero....

AND im sure theres some im still missing

I find it sort of strange that people can put Chris Benoit on their list. Not a slight against his abilities but I genuinely can't watch his matches any more and can't respect any of his body of work.

It seems to me that it all gets drowned out with pages of Kane, AJ, and handshakes. A serious discussion can't last more than a few posts before it gets taken over. A discussion on the merits of territory wrasslin and late 80s, early 90s WWF is doomed to lose to people bitching about Cena and pushing their video game promotions.

Anyway, I really wish that, since all the main event guys wrestle every week on Raw and Smackdown anyway, that they'd be put in competitive matches with lower card guys. Like Bret did in the 90s and Flair did in the 80s. It makes the matches with two top level guys actually seem like a big deal, and does nothing but help lower card guys. And be way more interesting.

This thread is whatever you make of it, I'm enjoying your contribution to the discussion and it can have a place next to everything else.

Are any of the WWE documentaries on the various territories worth watching? I'm sort of fascinated by territory system but the most I've really seen is old Stampede wrestling and the "Classic Wrestling" show, which is mostly AWA.

XenoRaven

I look at my list and I see it's all guys from the past 15 years, and it got me thinking about some of my favorite wrestlers when I was a kid. Turns out even when I thought wrestling was real I had pretty good taste!

Tatanka
Bam Bam Bigelow
Mr. Perfect
Macho Man
Hulk Hogan

Kaladin

WrestleCon news:
Kaiju Big Battel has been added to the festivities at WrestleCon with a special show at 11:55pm on Friday, April 5th. Kaiju Big Battel is a modern conflict of epic proportions! Evil villains, menacing alien beasts, and giant, city-crushing monsters threaten to destroy the planet Earth. Who will save the helpless humans from total ruin? The Heroes, of course (and the Heroines too!). A few privileged humans also get in on the action, as they try to contain danger within the three-roped arena of Kaiju Big Battel. Monsters are real, and danger can happen!

The legendary Bruno Sammartino, Colt Cabana and Freight Train from $5 Wrestling are already confirmed guests of the convention. The show schedule has:

Friday, April 5th, 2013
EVOLVE Wrestling - 4 PM
Combat Zone Wrestling - 8 PM
Kaiju Big Battel - 11:55 P

Saturday, April 6th, 2013
SHIMMER Women Athletes - Noon
CHIKARA - 4 PM
Dragon Gate USA - 8 PM
$5 Wrestling - 11:55 PM

Sunday, April 7th, 2013
Dragon Gate USA - 1 PM

We are ready to release all the news about ticket prices. Tickets for both Dragon Gate USA events will be $75 1st row, $50 2nd row, $25 for GA. Tickets for EVOLVE, Combat Zone Wrestling, SHIMMER and CHIKARA will be $50 1st row, $40 2nd row and $25 for GA. Kaiju Big Battel is all GA seating at $25. $5 Wrestling is all GA seating and will be just $5!

We have special packages to get you into all eight events with a discount and VIP treatment!!!

Here are the two packages:
-Golden Circle 1st Row VIP Package: $339
-Ringside 2nd Row VIP Package: $259

Each package gets you more than 10% off tickets to all eight events. VIP ticket holders will get priority on the very best seats in each row. You will also be admitted to Kaiju Big Battel and $5 Wrestling 15 minutes before other ticket holders so you can get the best seats. Another perk will be the exclusive appreciation bag with collectables and goodies.

Tickets will go on sale at www.WrestleCon.com on September 5th.

I wish I was going....I'll have to catch it all on iPPV this year though.

Speaking of those two Macho's so awesome that he's selling a Figure Four ... FROM THE DAY PRIOR

Yeah, Macho does a great job of selling the leg throughout, and gives a lot to Liger. It's a bit of an awkward situation, with the heavyweight vs jr. heavyweight mis-match and Macho's prior injury giving his smaller opponent a greater chance of victory, but Macho seems quite concious of that at the end in how he puts over Liger.

That's always the trouble with these cross promotion shows, as neither company wants their top guys to end up looking weak against the opposition, so you mostly either get mis-matches or draws.

strobogo said:
It seems to me that it all gets drowned out with pages of Kane, AJ, and handshakes. A serious discussion can't last more than a few posts before it gets taken over.

Yeah, I guess it's kind of inevitable, as WWE is always going to be the prevailing topic of wrestling discussion on a non-wrestling centric message board. Also, it's hard getting people into other promotions for a variety of reasons; lower production values, less recognisable performers, more focus on actual wrestling, different wrestling styles and tropes and the simple fact that unless you're exclusively following WWE & TNA TV, you're going to have to pay to follow wrestling at some point.

I wish I was going....I'll have to catch it all on iPPV this year though.

Wait...wait...it's ALL on iPPV? Like, all 8 of those shows?

XenoRaven

I find it sort of strange that people can put Chris Benoit on their list. Not a slight against his abilities but I genuinely can't watch his matches any more and can't respect any of his body of work.
I get that. I guess I feel like he was still an amazing wrestler. One of the best of all time. His body of work is so vast and so great that I have a hard time throwing all of it away, even if the circumstances of his death were so horrible. Plus, I know I shouldn't make any assumptions about his mental state at the time, but I just find it hard to believe that a man who by all accounts was perfectly normal (with a few odd quirks), and who loved his family would do something like that without something being broken in his head. I'm sure looking at Benoit as a potential victim himself is not a popular stance, but it's one I have a hard time discounting.

This thread is whatever you make of it, I'm enjoying your contribution to the discussion and it can have a place next to everything else.
Yep. I tend to come for the wrestling discussion (the stuff I know about anyway), and return to lurking when things start getting a little too wacky. Some good discussion happens here and there are some cool people. I say stick around strobogo.

Kaladin

Wait...wait...it's ALL on iPPV? Like, all 8 of those shows?

I'm just speculating here......but why wouldn't it be? All eight of them are in the same building and running under the same convention which is being run by WWNLive and Highspots. iPPV equipment will already be there for Dragon Gate USA, Evolve, CZW and probably $5 Wrestling....not running the other shows would be like throwing away free money.

I'm just speculating here......but why wouldn't it be? All eight of them are in the same building and running under the same convention which is being run by WWNLive and Highspots. iPPV equipment will already be there for Dragon Gate USA, Evolve, CZW and probably $5 Wrestling....not running the other shows would be like throwing away free money.

Well, damn, if that's the case it's going to be a crazy packed weekend of wrestling! Hope they have some package deals for the iPPVs. Also, would be really cool to see a SHIMMER show live instead of months and months after the fact.

strobogo

Banned

Are any of the WWE documentaries on the various territories worth watching? I'm sort of fascinated by territory system but the most I've really seen is old Stampede wrestling and the "Classic Wrestling" show, which is mostly AWA.

The WCCW one is great, but about as depressing as can be. I hope there are eventually Mid-South/UWF and Memphis ones. I'm just finding that stuff pre-Attitude era seems to keep my interest more now as comfort food/nostalgia type stuff. 1987-1994ish seems to be my sweet spot of vegging out and enjoying even the shitty stuff. I was still a kid during the Attitude/NWO era, but my love started with old Colosseum Video tapes that were out of date by a few years when I first saw them. And as an adult, that's what is more enjoyable for me to watch now. I've watched a shit load of full years of television and PPVs over the past 4-5 years. I'm a lot more lenient on not as good wrestling as I used to. I find 2002 and 2003 to be way more enjoyable than 1998-1999. I also will watch some truly terrible stuff from 1991 with no issues. Except for the horrendous Bulldog vs Warlord never ending series in 1991. Those were some of the most boring matches ever. Just terrible.

I also remember my mind being totally blown in when I discovered WCW for the first time. Just that there was other wrestling was one thing, but I got so into the totally different style of wrestling. 1991-1992 WCW was so good. The Dangerous Alliance, Sting, Cactus, Steamboat and Shane Douglas, Dustin, Barry, Hollywood Blondes. They also had some of the worst wrestlers ever at that time, but I really love that era in general. And I love it more now that I've come to appreciate guys I thought were terrible when I was a kid. Mostly heels, because FUCK HEELS when you're 5. I'm ashamed to say there was a time in my life when I had no love for the likes of Paul Orndorff, Bunkhouse Buck, and Dick Slater. However, I always knew Macho was the king shit even as a little kid, even when he was a heel. His WCW run all the way up until he got super jacked and hair plugs is so underrated. I'll argue all day that the Flair vs Savage match from GAB 95 is one of the best either man ever had.

My heart still hurts for the death of the Macho Man. I desperately wish Randy Savage could be in a Batman comic.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
iXbs3lJ2xvB7m.gif

bangai-o

Banned
I kind of wish there were two WrassleGaf threads. One with all the gimmick posting and Kane talk, and one for people who just want to talk about old and current wrestling.
i believe we would simply regulate Kog to posting in midnight wrasslegaf and it should be fine!

This Saturday Ring of Honor presents Boiling Point 2012 - live from Providence, RI and worldwide via iPPV at 7:30PM EST;

imxW72Lxo9ZV1.jpg

http://www.rohwrestling.com/ippv - $14.95

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;
Kevin Steen (c) vs CHIKARA Grand Champion Eddie Kingston

TAG TEAM WAR;
The Briscoe Brothers vs 'Zombie Princess' Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino

MIXED TAG GRUDGE MATCH;
'Die Hard' Eddie Edwards & 'Queen of Wrestling' Sara Del Rey vs 'The Prodigy' Mike Bennett & 'The First Lady of ROH' Maria Kanellis

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR IX REMATCH;
'Unbreakable' Michael Elgin vs 'Outlaw' Charlie Haas

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS GRUDGE MATCH;
Jay Lethal vs 'The Sicilian Psychopath' Tomasso Ciampa

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH;
Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini vs 'No Fear' Mike Mondo

PROVING GROUND MATCH;
ROH World TV Champion, Adam Cole vs 'Brutal' Bob Evans

4 WAY MATCH - WINNER EARNS FUTURE ROH BOOKINGS;
Matt Taven vs. QT Marshall vs. Antonio Thomas vs. Vinny Marseglia

Also, the full line-up announced for SHINE 2 - live from Ybor City, FL and worldwide via iPPV on Friday, August 17th at 8PM EST;

iHT4DR2m5MsFw.jpg

http://wwnlive.com/event-shine-08-17-12.html - starting from $9.99

Mercedes Martinez vs Jazz

Rain vs. Santana Garrett

Made In Sin (Taylor Made & Allysin Kay) vs. MSEERIE (MsChif & Christina Von Eerie)

Sassy Stephie vs. Mia Yim

Jessicka Havok vs. Reby Sky

Portia Perez vs. Leva Bates

Sojo Bolt vs. Taeler Hendrix vs. Heidi Lovelace

Kimberly vs. Su Yung

Finally, a couple of matches signed and the talent list for EVOLVE 17 live on September 8th in Voorhees, NJ and worldwide via iPPV;

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH;
Ricochet vs. AR Fox

SIX MAN TAG TEAM ACTION;
Super Smash Brothers & Rich Swann vs. The Gentleman's Club (Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak & Orange Cassidy)

Plus more to be signed with:
Open The Freedom Gate Champion Johnny Gargano
Style Battle Winner Jon Davis
Sami Callihan
Samuray Del Sol
Jigsaw
MASADA
Lince Dorado
The Scene of Caleb Konley & Scott Reed with Larry Dallas
Cheech
Pinkie Sanchez
Christina Von Eerie

Not entirely sold on the ROH line-up, but the world title match should be great. Also looking forward to Lethal vs Ciampa, barring any Nana shenanigans it could be an awesome 2/3 falls match. SHINE 2 should be fun, hopefully Martinez vs Jazz can live up to Del Rey vs Jazz. That tag match looks great too, and really glad to see Portia making her debut.

slightconfuse said:
Let's talk some territoral wrestling. I admit imy knowledge is limited but it was an interesting time.

I love the hell out of the prolonged Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk feud, so many awesome promos and Funk got great heat in Memphis. Here's some of their promos, their No DQ match and the infamous empty arena match from 1981;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WhhxH7DrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g_lecgQzb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9N1UpzXTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LONUDbXRiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRyY4IM8y4

Kevin Steen is sooooooooo overrated.

I think Kevin Steen is a guy whose in the position he's in because of the lack of top wrestling talent on the indies at the moment, but I also think that the guy deserves it because he's been putting on consistently great matches in PWG & ROH for a good two years now. Also, Steen vs Generico was one of the best feuds anywhere in recent years in my book, a near perfectly executed slow and steady year-long build.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
did wwe ever use Starrcade?

No but they put a best of Starrcade comp dvd out

The original plan was

Monday Night Raw was going to be transformed into WCW Nitro and Smackdown would be either stay the same or be renamed Raw

The was the original idea for the brand split was WCW gets a ppv every other month and WWF/E gets the other months. WCW ppvs would get to use old WCW ppv names like Starrcade, SuperBrawl, and Great American Bash while WWF/E uses the same ppv names they had. Buff Bagwell ruined everything.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so why would they use voice distortion when 1 of them fuckers was backstage to deliver a letter to Hogan nobody and I mean NOBODY decided to stop the guy until after he left Hogan's office where he seemed to vanish into thin air.

eldoon

Since they are doing the biker gimmick - i want guns involved
kidnap someone with a gun then have cops chasing them
that will be epic

eldoon

so why would they use voice distortion when 1 of them fuckers was backstage to deliver a letter to Hogan nobody and I mean NOBODY decided to stop the guy until after he left Hogan's office where he seemed to vanish into thin air.

That guy was a tna super fan that sat in the front row for ages
tna knew who it was but they didnt explain who he was and that he was just a messenger and not a member

Top Bottom