• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

strobogo

Banned
That's cool, if I'm overstating Kerry's importance then it's only as someone not all that knowledgeable with that era of wrestling, puroresu and indy wrestling are more my forte and the only territories I've really seen much of are Mid-South & Memphis. I've just always seen Kerry as a guy who had all the tools, but was held back by unfortunate circumstance and his personal demons.

No, he actually went much further than he should have. I think his whole career path changed after David died. He wouldn't have been NWA Champion, that's for sure. He probably still would have had that weird AWA/USWA/WCCW wrestling thing (that in my mind is one of the strangest "alliances" in wrestling history. The whole situation was just...weird), and probably would have gone to the WWF at some point just due to his look. But even in the WWF being given a pretty massive push by 80s standards of coming in and knocking off the IC Champion Mr. Perfect (who was probably as dominant as he'd ever be that year, even with losses) about a month in. The same Perfect who, in a match with the Genius pretty much dominated Hulk Hogan and had a clear visual pin fall with the Perfect Plex that Hulk never Hulked up out of. Mr. Perfect was pretty clearly booked as the best wrestler in the company even with out the big belt, and Kerry came in and beat him with in a month. But he didn't do anything and wasn't even in the top 10 for popular faces. He couldn't touch Tugboat (who was SUPER over) in popularity. Or the Bossman. Or Jake. Or The Rockers. Or the Hart Foundation. Or Hacksaw. He got a pretty tepid response most of the time despite being one of the bigger stars of one of the bigger territories and having a huge push. I watched the entire year of 1990 Superstars and PTW this year, so this is all pretty fresh in my head.

Oh man, Bootaaay. I love me some Memphis and Mid-South. We should go on a journey into the depths of it all. The crowds were SO incredibly HOT. Holy christ. I'll start getting some stuff together if you have any interest.

On a related note I want to take Wrassle-GAF to the next level community-wise. Weekly things...things like that. Participation. Fun. Everything. Just thinkin' about stuff...

Memphis was so fun. When I finally got to see some of the awesome DVD sets from DVDR and those getting putting online and on Youtube, I was blown away at how awesome Dutch Mantel was. I only really knew him from his managing stint in the WWF. But he was awesome as fuck. So was Bill Dundee.

I find it sort of curious that the name Hart doesn't appear on this list...

I actually thought Bret had debuted much earlier than what he did, so I didn't even bother to look him up. He only started about a year before Kerry. I figured he had been wrestling in the early-mid 70s.

Like AJ, I don't hate Punk. He's got his flaws though.... like being an asshole out of the ring and not having a good finisher.

Anaconda Vice is sweet, especially in those rare times he goes into it with the reverse bulldog. GTS is awesome in the rare times they let him hit it properly (looked phenomenal on The Rock), no comment on the elbow drop.

I've heard all of the "Punk is an asshole" stories, but I think I'd be the same in that situation so I can't fault the dude.

I actually thought Bret had debuted much earlier than what he did, so I didn't even bother to look him up. He only started about a year before Kerry. I figured he had been wrestling in the early-mid 70s.

Ah, got it. Owen was a little later still, but I sort of go back and forth between which one of the two I rate higher.

Speaking of the Hart family, Bruce is once again trying to re-launch Stampede wrestling but I think that rumour gets released about once per year.

Well, not a lot, but more than most here I guess, so Yes I Do.

I wouldn't click any of those links if I were you :p

Why don't I ever listen when you tell me not to click...

PEACE

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Sick Nick Mondo documentary is (or was) on youtube. I highly recommend it.
One of the times he talks about how they have an outdoor deathmatch, and it's raining and it just makes everything 10 times worse.

Also they had a bucket of salt in one of their deathmatches.

He got a pretty tepid response most of the time despite being one of the bigger stars of one of the bigger territories and having a huge push.

It seems crazy to me that his early success didn't translate onto the bigger stage, considering just how over he was when he came through territories like Mid-South.

Why don't I ever listen when you tell me not to click...

Human nature, I guess. I really, really would not click that one either...

It's the Necro/Pondo spot

Dragonzord said:
Also they had a bucket of salt in one of their deathmatches.

The salt & lemon match is an old staple of Big Japan - they also used to have buckets of wasabi to pour on guys after they'd been cut up, which I imagine must have been crazy painful.

bored, not sure what to do with my life, not even missing raw, bombed microbiology class for the 2nd time, just didnt study enough, too busy playing games and using the internet, not sure if i wanna continue education to become a nurse or do something else, prob should continue cause i only need the micro class to get into nursing school but idk, i think having my pc in my room has ruined my life, prob will have to move it out and have to stop watching wrestling too, approaching 30, been a mark throughout.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
bored, not sure what to do with my life, not even missing raw, bombed microbiology class for the 2nd time, just didnt study enough, too busy playing games and using the internet, not sure if i wanna continue education to become a nurse or do something else, prob should continue cause i only need the micro class to get into nursing school but idk, i think having my pc in my room has ruined my life, prob will have to move it out and have to stop watching wrestling too, approaching 30, been a mark throughout.

Keep doing your thing brah don't give up. We're not as bad an influence as you think though. It's just school stressing you out.

Stay markin' brah. I'm the same way but I said weenies to school long ago and struck out on my own.

Heavy what sort of counselling resources are available through your school? If things are going that badly and you're dropping out of life like that then you really need to go see someone about it.

That sounds a lot like when my depression was getting really bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also make sure you stick with school even if you're not sure. At the end, even if you lose everything, you don't lose your credentials and can always build from that. So do it.

I've had a PC in my room since I was 12. My life is awful.

jmdajr

Don't give up school man. Get whatever help you need to finish.

The internet's putting Hard Times on Heavy. You guys don't know what Hard Times are, baby. Hard TIMES! When you're bombin' microbiology class 'cause you'se playing too many vidya games. HARD TIMES! When the internet is sucking all your attention, like some computerised succubus. HARD. TIMES. When you're a mark of near 30 years forced into giving up the past-time you love. Weeeeeeell, daddy, you got to knuckle down, you got to keep your eye on the ball, keep your head in the game and do what is right for YOU so you can become the CHAMPION of Hard Times, baby. HARD. TIMES.

This motivational promo brought to you by Dusty Rhodes. Don't give up on school dude, I wish I hadn't

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Fix the lack of showers thing, as well.

Don't give up school. I understand that stress. I've never actually failed a class, but my GPA suffered from me making terrible decisions at the start of my college "career." I'm still happy that I attended college, it was a way more positive experience than highschool was and I've made so many friends from it.

You can always pick yourself out of that. Just keep at it.

XenoRaven

You could always start writing test notes on your wrist. Hoooooooooooooooo.

Seriously though. Finish school. Don't be like me and drop out then end up joining the Army because you want to go back but can't afford it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't give up school. I understand that stress. I've never actually failed a class, but my GPA suffered from me making terrible decisions at the start of my college "career." I'm still happy that I attended college, it was a way more positive experience than highschool was and I've made so many friends from it.

You can always pick yourself out of that. Just keep at it.

See? Sonic didn't give up, and neither should you.

strobogo

Banned
I kind of wish there were two WrassleGaf threads. One with all the gimmick posting and Kane talk, and one for people who just want to talk about old and current wrestling.

Brinbe

I kind of wish there were two WrassleGaf threads. One with all the gimmick posting and Kane talk, and one for people who just want to talk about old and current wrestling.

Word.

And heed the advice of others, Heavy. Continue your education, and get that degree.

All of this never give up advice and no mention of the man who does it best?
fydzU.gif

somedevil

I bet people will be happy if this happens:

There has been at least some talk of doing away with Brodus Clay's Funkasaurus gimmick. Clay's role in the WWE Studios horror movie No One Lives may have something to do with that.

There's this wrestling nostalgia thread that gets bumped every so often;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408512

But really, the best way to stem the tide of the silliness that often occurs when there's a lull in televised wrestling is to post more serious wrestling discussion, imo.

A Pretty Panda said:
Top 5 favorite wrestlers of ALL TIME???

I don't have 5 so someone else go first.

1. Kenta Kobashi
2. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger
3. Stan Hansen
4. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage
5. Genichiro Tenryu

I don't have any Cena gifs and I couldn't find a way to work him into a witty post so I didn't try.

hey man I was looking for some good material and came up empty!

Just use Cena material, come out shouting and making jokes then slow into a super serious voice and start shouting again with intensity, base this around Heavy's dilemma.
Cena promos kind of sum up this thread in a way, falling between being jokey and serious with alarming inconsistency and not to everyone's liking but dammit the THREAD IS HERE!

Just use Cena material, come out shouting and making jokes then slow into a super serious voice and start shouting again with intensity, base this around Heavy's dilemma.
Cena promos kind of sum up this thread in a way, falling between being jokey and serious with alarming inconsistency and not to everyone's liking but dammit the THREAD IS HERE!

WE'RE HERE EACH AND EVERY WEEK, AND WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR GAF'S RESPECT, BUT WE NEVER. GIVE. UP.

*seagull pop*

keep it up man and dont give up

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Uh I don't have 5 so someone else go first.

1. Kurt Angle
2. The Great Muta
3. Ravishing Rick Rude
4. Stone Cold Steve Austin
5. Masahiro Chono

1. Kenta Kobashi
3. Stan Hansen
5. Genichiro Tenryu
Speaking of those two Macho's so awesome that he's selling a Figure Four ... FROM THE DAY PRIOR

Uh I don't have 5 so someone else go first.
1. Kane (shock and awe)
2. The Rock
3. Mick Foley/Mankind
4. Undertaker
5. Stone Cold? maybe, i'm also thinking JBL for some reason despite his matches typically being boring as hell.
Depending on how I feel at the time ***** ****** is a second place shoe in

WE'RE HERE EACH AND EVERY WEEK, AND WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR GAF'S RESPECT, BUT WE NEVER. GIVE. UP.

*seagull pop*

Cena don't need no seagull pops, he doesn't go near that B show, plus Cena pops are more hatchling seagulls and female gull mating calls clashed against angry cawing.

since i started watching wrestling in the attitude era and hadn't watched to much golden age this is my list (not really in any order except #1)

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin
2. Shawn Michaels
3. The Rock
4. HHH
5. Hardcore Holly (was a big mark for him)

strobogo

Banned
There's this wrestling nostalgia thread that gets bumped every so often;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408512

But really, the best way to stem the tide of the silliness that often occurs when there's a lull in televised wrestling is to post more serious wrestling discussion, imo.

1. Kenta Kobashi
3. Stan Hansen
5. Genichiro Tenryu

It seems to me that it all gets drowned out with pages of Kane, AJ, and handshakes. A serious discussion can't last more than a few posts before it gets taken over. A discussion on the merits of territory wrasslin and late 80s, early 90s WWF is doomed to lose to people bitching about Cena and pushing their video game promotions.

Anyway, I really wish that, since all the main event guys wrestle every week on Raw and Smackdown anyway, that they'd be put in competitive matches with lower card guys. Like Bret did in the 90s and Flair did in the 80s. It makes the matches with two top level guys actually seem like a big deal, and does nothing but help lower card guys. And be way more interesting.

Top Bottom