• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

SoulPlaya

more money than God
most these suckers do
tumblr_m8o6x8ZmLt1r324lio1_400.gif

DMczaf

TRIPLE H COMING TO RAW

WWE COO Triple H will appear live on this Monday's Raw to address his future. What will The King of Kings have to say? Is it really "Game Over"? Tune in Monday at 8/7 CT on USA Network.

20120819_LIGHT_raw_preview_HHH_loss_C-homepage.jpg

RIP :(

Survivor Series, yo.

On a related off-topic note: I just rewatched a bit of last week's Raw and - this might be a bit weird and goofy - but I love the way AJ introduced Randy Orton before his match with Del Rio. Was just the tone of "say hello to your little friend".

I giggled.

ptFzt.gif

tuQlF.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Survivor Series, yo.

On a related off-topic note: I just rewatched a bit of last week's Raw and - this might be a bit weird and goofy - but I love the way AJ introduced Randy Orton before his match with Del Rio. Was just the tone of "say hello to your little friend".

I giggled.

ptFzt.gif

tuQlF.gif
It's funny. They've inserted her into every damn feud and segment, except for the one feud that she SHOULD be in, Kane/Bryan. All she does is tweet about that feud.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
does anyone on wresslegaf still watch Raw?

I do. What's more? I still enjoy it.

DVR so I can skip every recap and reminder and "did you know?".
Spanish feed, so I can actually hear them talk about the story and call out moves. No Cole or King unless forced into the story.

Nowhere close to 3 hours or being annoyed what I don't like. It's still a flawed show, but I still have enough for me to like watch while I eat dinner on Tuesday.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's funny. They've inserted her into every damn feud and segment, except for the one feud that she SHOULD be in, Kane/Bryan. All she does is tweet about that feud.

WWE Creative, fucking up blatantly obvious storylineprogression since 1998.®

Speaking of, since we get TRIPLE H-AAAH addressing the DUBYA DUBYA UNIVERSE about THE FUTURE of his CAREER tonight!!~

I, for one, cannot wait for 3 hours of video packages so he can close the show instead of Punk.

The only way this will be good is if Punk comes out and kicks him in the broken arm the second he starts talking. Maybe he can kick his sling Brock Lesnar-style after the fact.

---

clipboard01ob.jpg

I can kinda see why they don't want JR around anymore. :lol:

clipboard01ob.jpg

I can kinda see why they don't want JR around anymore. :lol:

J.R.'s just another 10%er smark ass mark who doesn't know anything about anything. He should shut up and wait for the storyline to play out instead of being some armchair backseat booker. I bet if it was up to him Raw would just be 3 hours of CM Punk wrestling barbecue sauce covered brooms.

A 3 Hour Raw that centers around everyone mentioning Triple H before and after every commercial segment and during each 3 minute match? Fuck that, I'm gonna play Banjo Kazooie.

G-Fex

Its been very nice skipping Raw due to my work schedule.

Ah but this thread is gold cause I can laugh at the rest of you.

Aiii

So not worth it
All that's left is HHH to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

BROCK LESNAR-AAAAH, MAY HAVE BROKE MY ARM-AAAH, BUT-AAAH, I AM NEVER BEATEN-AAAH, BROCK LESNAR-AAAH, YOU MIGHT HAVE QUIT-AAAH, BUT I WILL-AAAAH, COME AFTER YOU-AAAH, AT SURIVOR SERIES-AAAAAH, WE ARE FIGHTERS-AAAAAH, FIGHTERS DO NOT GIVE UP-AAAAH, BROCK-AAAAH, I'M COMING FOR YOU
N***
-AAAH!

Can't wait for this promo.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
BROCK LESNAR-AAAAH, MAY HAVE BROKE MY ARM-AAAH, BUT-AAAH, I AM NEVER BEATEN-AAAH, BROCK LESNAR-AAAH, YOU MIGHT HAVE QUIT-AAAH, BUT I WILL-AAAAH, COME AFTER YOU-AAAH, AT SURIVOR SERIES-AAAAAH, WE ARE FIGHTERS-AAAAAH, FIGHTERS DO NOT GIVE UP-AAAAH, BROCK-AAAAH, I'M COMING FOR YOU
N***
-AAAH!

Can't wait for this promo.

It will be the highest rated segment since "Rock: This is your life!"

Nah bork is the king of 'king of kings'

I feel this is the feeling they were trying to convey since this makes it feel that he's bigger than HHH and it gives off a feeling of superiority and it's a real feeling because it feels real because it's a real feeling.

#Vibrations.

strobogo

Banned
I find HHH's blatant mid life crisis to be somewhat charming, to be honest. It is absurd that he hovers over the show as much if not more not even being on the shows that he did at his peak of overkill in 2002-2003. And obviously people want to see it, which doesn't say much for the current roster that HHH in a suit talking about the business of the business is the most popular thing on Raw.

I bet it kills him that he isn't built a tank like current day Stallone and instead has that giant pooch. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't worn street clothes in his last few matches to hide it a bit.

Some photos from the Akebono vs Atsushi Onita exploding barbed wire match;

No official attendance numbers released from ZERO1, but it looks to be a good crowd - crazy how much of a draw Onita is, even in 2012;

iPit4eGOCdtAa.jpg

ic3WN7VvndNR5.jpg

idxXeNwg31UXC.jpg

ibtxpdN44KLA8z.jpg

i7QqyJwDsTdmN.jpg

I MUST SEE THIS MATCH!!!

Also, HUGE AJPW spoiler;

Masakatsu Funaki defeated Jun Akiyama in UNDER FIVE MINUTES to become the All Japan Triple Crown Champion
- WTF?

The obssesion on here is weird. He's not that good. I've seen him on the indies. He tries really, really hard to come off as old school pro wrestler and I don't buy. I don't buy that he'll be able to project that any better in 5 minute matches on Superstars.

Firstly, if they wanted to get him over a wrestler, like they did in FCW with his feud against Regal, then 5-minute throwaway matches on Superstars is hardly the way to do it, and you know it. They got Bryan over as a wrestler by giving him a solid 10 minutes against Jericho, and putting Ambrose in a program with a guy like Bryan would certainly be just as effective. Secondly, I first saw Jon Moxley wrestle in HWA about 5 or six years ago and my first thoughts about the guy were that he strikes as well as Tracey Smothers, and stretches as well as Dave Finlay - even if his look didn't quite match his wrestling style and persona back then, he exuded old school wrestling, and that's exactly what made me sit up and take notice. Thirdly, I think the Ambrose thing is largely a joke around here - I'm sure most people mentioning him aren't really anticipating his debut that much, nor have any illusions as to his chances of being used right, being booked to highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses, because that's something WWE just don't do any more.

tm24

God i love Onita. I went thru a phase where i named all my characters onita. And huge wtf on that spoiler. Something must of been going on behind the scenes

I find HHH's blatant mid life crisis to be somewhat charming, to be honest. It is absurd that he hovers over the show as much if not more not even being on the shows that he did at his peak of overkill in 2002-2003. And obviously people want to see it, which doesn't say much for the current roster that HHH in a suit talking about the business of the business is the most popular thing on Raw.

I bet it kills him that he isn't built a tank like current day Stallone and instead has that giant pooch. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't worn street clothes in his last few matches to hide it a bit.
He's been having a mid like crisis since 2006, you'd think it would over by now, he needs a new term to describe his current crisis as he desperately searches of ways to cling onto relevancy.

And I don't know what's going on over there Bootaaay but it looks absolutely mad.

Triple H is gonna spin it into somehow HE won the fight.

IF BORK DOESN'T COME OUT RIGHT NOOOOW-AH, THAT MEANS HE ISN'T A MAN-AH!

*no response*

SO AS PER MY OWN RULES OF THIS BUSINESS, THAT MEANS I WON AT SUMMERSLAM!

*tears off arm brace and no-sells it being broken*

THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS BORK, YOU DIDN'T KILL ME, I'M STILL STANDING HERE, AND NOW YOU'RE GONE CAUSE YOU'RE SCARED!

I GOT EVERYTHING I WANTED, AND THEN WAS LEFT FOR SHIT IN THE RING AFTER YOU HAD YOUR WAY WITH ME BUT I'M HERE NOW AND FOR SOME REASON THAT MEANS I'M BETTER THAN YOU.

YOU KNOW IT, THEY KNOW IT

I AM THE GAME

I AM THAT DAMN GOOD

I AM TRIPLE H

*foaming at the mouth*

NO ONE WILL EVER BEST ME, EVEN WHEN THEY DO, THEY DON'T!

(I wish part)

*you tapped out chants start*

*leaves to chorus of boos but no sells them still acting like a tough guy and pretending they're cheering*

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
That AJPW spoiler sounds nuts. There's got to be an explanation for it.

And that deathmatch looks awesome.

*leaves to chorus of boos but no sells them still acting like a tough guy and pretending they're cheering*

You know it won't matter since they'll pipe in cheers in the video package.

Match of the day;

BxB Hulk vs Kota Ibushi - (DDG 06/05/12)

I talked at length about this match last month - a really good bout, with some excellent exchanges between both guys. Check it out.

That AJPW spoiler sounds nuts. There's got to be an explanation for it.

Yeah, no idea why they went with that finish - I know they've been booking Funaki as this huge bad-ass, and he's super over with the fans who were desperate for someone to beat the outsider Akiyama, but such a short match. It's very strange.

strobogo

Banned
Firstly, if they wanted to get him over a wrestler, like they did in FCW with his feud against Regal, then 5-minute throwaway matches on Superstars is hardly the way to do it, and you know it. They got Bryan over as a wrestler by giving him a solid 10 minutes against Jericho, and putting Ambrose in a program with a guy like Bryan would certainly be just as effective. Secondly, I first saw Jon Moxley wrestle in HWA about 5 or six years ago and my first thoughts about the guy were that he strikes as well as Tracey Smothers, and stretches as well as Dave Finlay - even if his look didn't quite match his wrestling style and persona back then, he exuded old school wrestling, and that's exactly what made me sit up and take notice. Thirdly, I think the Ambrose thing is largely a joke around here - I'm sure most people mentioning him aren't really anticipating his debut that much, nor have any illusions as to his chances of being used right, being booked to highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses, because that's something WWE just don't do any more.

Obviously 5 minute Superstars matches aren't going to get him over as a wrestler. That's the point I was making. That's what he's going to get. That's not the best way to show how good Claudio is, but that's what he gets. Or 5 minute Smackdown matches. And he gets zero reaction. My man D-Brine didn't get decent matches until after he got fired and rehired. Outside of the Jericho match, he didn't get long matches on NXT. Did he even win a single match that season? He lost constantly and was full on buried by Miz and Cole the entire time. He didn't get over from any of that. He got over after the tie debacle and people feeling like he got screwed over. THEN he started getting longer matches where he could show what he could do, but even then he wasn't over outside of smarky cities. He really was getting no reactions until the YES stuff started.

I remember before Mox got signed and people were really high on him. I watched his stuff and just didn't see it. I've seen the FCW stuff with Regal, and I still don't see it. I don't think he's bad or anything, I just don't see the huge star potential and great promos that people rave about. I see a young guy doing his best to come off like an old school guy, but not having the gravitas to pull it off. Maybe he'll eventually grow into it, but I just don't see the hype with him right now.

So if any of the people in here who won't stop talking about him are actually excited for him to debut and aren't just keeping a running joke going, I think they're going to be really disappointed when/if he ever shows up on TV. I feel like there are a number of guys already on the roster that aren't getting a shot that are better than him (Hawkins, Drew, Swagger, Hunico, Trent Barreta, HHH, Cena).

Sid

Triple H is gonna spin it into somehow HE won the fight.

IF BORK DOESN'T COME OUT RIGHT NOOOOW-AH, THAT MEANS HE ISN'T A MAN-AH!

*no response*

SO AS PER MY OWN RULES OF THIS BUSINESS, THAT MEANS I WON AT SUMMERSLAM!

NO ONE WILL EVER BEST ME, EVEN WHEN THEY DO, THEY DON'T!

(I wish part)

Lol i think he's just gonna say that he was left standing after being destroyed by bork,so he wins

Obviously 5 minute Superstars matches aren't going to get him over as a wrestler. That's the point I was making. That's what he's going to get. That's not the best way to show how good Claudio is, but that's what he gets. Or 5 minute Smackdown matches. And he gets zero reaction.

Exactly, because WWE refuse to book to a guys strengths - they give them a shit gimmick, no build-up and shit-all time to wrestle, and then it's THEIR fault when they somehow fail to get over. I wish WWE weren't so fucking ashamed to be a wrestling company.

strobogo said:
So if any of the people in here who won't stop talking about him are actually excited for him to debut and aren't just keeping a running joke going, I think they're going to be really disappointed when/if he ever shows up on TV. I feel like there are a number of guys already on the roster that aren't getting a shot that are better than him (Hawkins, Drew, Swagger, Hunico, Trent Barreta, HHH, Cena).

Out of that list, Drew & Swagger I agree with - I don't think there's much way back for Swagger though, as they've made him seem like such an inept and incompetent fool over the past few years. It's hard to believe he was world champion at one point. Drew just need repackaging, I've always enjoyed watching him wrestle, but, like so many in WWE, he lacks a good character and has lacked any memorable feuds.

And yeah, I'm sure any supporters of Ambrose expecting him to make a big impact are going to be sorely disappointed - personally, I'm not expecting anything more than the shit they've given Claudio. For all Mr. H's talk of not bringing guys up until they have well defined material for them to work with, they still debuted Claudio as a freaking rugby player and have yet to work him into any meaningful feud.

Top Bottom