• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Nah, this will always be our banner

CBToFf8VEAAI9q-.jpg
vtnPZ.gif

Anth0ny

Again, WWF thought that would happen when they killed WCW. They thought "all these people watch wrestling, so they'll obviously switch over to us as the new #1!" But that didn't happen. That audience just vanished. And WWF was good at the time so it's not like they just didn't want to switch to a worse product.

Well that was different... it was the #2 being absorbed by the #1, but not bringing its audience with it.

I'm saying if the current #1 theoretically implodes... there would be a new #1 by default!

Anth0ny

When Pro Wrestling dies, it will be like the scene from the end of Shawshank for me

I'll finally be free...after decades.... Beginning in 1994 with my first PPV purchase (Survivor Series 94)

*walks across a beach in Mexico to find Zach working on a boat*

"Hope."

rainzgsfg.jpg

That face when you realize the ending to Shawshank is the inverse of DM's avatar :O

Hex

Banned
seriously

there isn't an alternative. there never will be.

if WWE dies, a lot of feeder systems die as well.

I disagree.
Those days are done. The internet has given life to these other entities where a big tv deal is not the be all end all like it used to be.
The WWE is the one feeding from others.
All the dead of the WWE will mean is that things will go back to a territory like situation much like it is outside of the WWE right now with ROH as the center in the US, NJPW in the east, RevPro or whatever in the UK.
There will be a freer movement of talent so it will rarely get stale

I disagree.
Those days are done. The internet has given life to these other entities where a big tv deal is not the be all end all like it used to be.
All the dead of the WWE will mean is that things will go back to a territory like situation much like it is outside of the WWE right now with ROH as the center in the US, NJPW in the east, RevPro or whatever in the UK.

I hope you're right.

But there are a ton of people who watch WWE who would sooner classify themselves as "WWE fans" than "wrestling fans". Which is not to say some from the former group can't join the latter group, but it's not a safe assumption to say they all will.

I disagree.

I think someone said we are heading towards a new territorial era of wrestling.

I disagree.

ROH as the center of wrestling in the US, LMAO.

I disagree.

Pretty much

And while I absolutely agree with the "a lot of the audience that leaves when the company goes will just be done with the business instead of seek an alternative" (I actually said that point a couple times over the past year whenever the subject's come up, so I'd hope I still think it today), as I also have said repeatedly and continue to say, let's not act like wrestling's going to be on a peak anytime soon where it rivals the numbers of audience from any company in the Monday Night Wars.

The business isn't getting that beloved or famous ever again, and people need to let that dream go

Foggy

I'd rather have it all burn to the ground and have something come along to replace it than continue the Vince McMahon zombie march

shaowebb

I read all of that and agree whole heartedly #5years.

NJPW slaughters the product on WWE. From the talent, to the booking, to the camera work. Its just better. Even in japanese its better...hell its better in japanese than english because the japanese announcers are incredibly emotional even if you can't understand the words. It aint what you say but how you say it sometime when it comes to a reaction and thats what they do ...react to the match. Not plug backstage bits, and make weird jokes.

Bullet Club is everywhere and proves you can push merch now by being independent because the internet fucking exists. Hell with Roku folks have them on TV with shows like Progress, Lucha Underground, and all kinds of other feds showing up there. Talent can make more money by leavin Vince than staying...especially young or more athletic but smaller guys. Thats huge. Expect an exodus as younger guys seek fame elsewhere. Folks can be themselves in the indies too. More control of your own product. Sure you can't go into business for yourself but you can at least have more control in your promos and with your character because unlike the team of WWE the top indy feds learn what a guy can and cant do and push what he can and hide what he cant and that includes characters.

I hope the bottom falls out of WWE and shows like ROH, Progress, NJPW and Lucha Underground become the new network hopefuls when network producers look for sports and action to fill up slots.

Hex

Banned
I hope you're right.

But there are a ton of people who watch WWE who would sooner classify themselves as "WWE fans" than "wrestling fans". Which is not to say some from the former group can't join the latter group, but it's not a safe assumption to say they all will.

Good riddance to them.
Many "fans" will drop out, because it will not be the same product anymore.
I have a friend who was was talking to the other night trying to get her to watch the G1 and I was explaining how it is great because you do not have a 25 minute promo to kick off the show, and promos and backstage bits hurting your intelligence through out where you have to pretend that they can't just go home and watch a dvr and be like "oh hey that is what happened!"
But she insists that is why she likes the WWE, because if she wanted to watch a sport she would watch mma or something else.
And it blew my mind but at the same time I know there are others just like that.

We talk in here quite a bit about when TNA turned, and something that happened right along with the coming of the WWE rejects was the dawn of backstage skits and segments. They went hand and hand.

On the other hand you will get new fans, because performers will not be afraid to say things on social media, or interact with their fans. That shadow of making sure not to burn a bridge with Vince will not be there anymore.

Also, the death of WWE is way, way farther off than most would realize. As it stands today, they are literally 20 times bigger than NJPW from a business perspective (revenue). So they could fall down so, so, so far from where they are at and still be able to operate at the same clip as a moderately sized wrestling company. It's easy to underestimate just how big of a business they are. They have a very, very long way to fall. They'll sooner just downsize than fold.

somedevil

I hope you're right.

Yep, cause you always heard stories about fans thinking christian, rvd and Angle were retired when they were wrestling for impact.

Like I doubt the Japan fans who go to WWE shows watch New Japan. Brand loyalty does exist for wrestling.

Hex

Banned
Lucha Underground will be gone in a few years too.

I give it one more year unless they partner with TNA which will suck but seems to be inevitable.

Puma will be gone, Pentagon may not come back same with Phoenix.
Depending on how much of a work this thing with Taya/Morrison and Vampiro and AAA is Taya and Morrison may not come back.

cordy

Banned
On the real, when WWE dies and stops being the center of wrestling you'll likely be great/grandparents if not dead. Before then you're just upset because they're pulling bigger numbers than the shit you like to watch. Let's keep it a buck lol.

When Pro Wrestling dies, it will be like the scene from the end of Shawshank for me

I'll finally be free...after decades.... Beginning in 1994 with my first PPV purchase (Survivor Series 94)

*walks across a beach in Mexico to find Zach working on a boat*

"Hope."
Don't take a drink from Zach there

gun_haver

I think TV as a whole is gonna completely die out over the next couple of decades anyway and be entirely replaced by streaming hubs like Netflix and other kinds of models that haven't gotten traction yet, so one way or another WWE is gonna end up being online only just like everything else because TV is already an outdated medium.

I don't think this 5years thing is gonna happen for that reason, there will always be money to be made as an online subscription wrestling service. The only question is whether WWE becomes smaller and ends up competing with other ones or whether it remains the biggest one for many years.

Hex

Banned
I also genuinely think that in a year Daniel Bryan will be working for NJPW when they open their California Dojo in some capacity which will be huge for them

Foggy

Also, the death of WWE is way, way farther off than most would realize. As it stands today, they are literally 20 times bigger than NJPW from a business perspective (revenue). So they could fall down so, so, so far from where they are at and still be able to operate at the same clip as a moderately sized wrestling company. It's easy to underestimate just how big of a business they are. They have a very, very long way to fall. They'll sooner just downsize than fold.

I definitely agree, but I do think it's all predicated on the power dynamic in North America remaining stagnant. All bets are off if Netflix or Amazon jump into the game. But that's a gigantic "if".

But think about the positive effect on society.

Yeah, even if the business were to hypothetically burn to the ground at any point soon, as much as I love it, I also admit I love the thought of no more Vinces, Stephanies, HHHs, Vampiros, or Hogans: people who manipulate and harass others at will

No more New Jacks or Del Rios who threaten everyone, or JBLs who only target those weaker or smaller

No more Moolahs who pimp out, or DeMotts who bully, and abuse young people who look up to them, people who they're supposed to train

Yeah, even if the business were to hypothetically burn to the ground at any point soon, as much as I love it, I also admit I love the thought of no more Vinces, Stephanies, HHHs, Vampiros, or Hogans: people who manipulate and harass others at will

No more New Jacks or Del Rios who threaten everyone, or JBLs who only target those weaker or smaller

No more Moolahs who pimp out, or DeMotts who bully, and abuse young people who look up to them, people who they're supposed to train
No more Zach's to Zach it up

I read it in full. I don't know if it's compelling, and it the unintended consequence of #5Years on the rest of the industry could be catastrophic.

Nah, there's plenty of content for wrestling fans

Again, WWF thought that would happen when they killed WCW. They thought "all these people watch wrestling, so they'll obviously switch over to us as the new #1!" But that didn't happen. That audience just vanished. And WWF was good at the time so it's not like they just didn't want to switch to a worse product.

The landscape now versus then is WAY different. If actual wrestling fans, not WWE fans, want wrestling they have so many other ways to watch it now thanks to OTT services.

I think TV as a whole is gonna completely die out over the next couple of decades anyway and be entirely replaced by streaming hubs like Netflix and other kinds of models that haven't gotten traction yet, so one way or another WWE is gonna end up being online only just like everything else because TV is already an outdated medium.

I don't think this 5years thing is gonna happen for that reason, there will always be money to be made as an online subscription wrestling service. The only question is whether WWE becomes smaller and ends up competing with other ones or whether it remains the biggest one for many years.

As long as WWE continues to control their content under The Network they'll have to make deals in some way. They can't survive alone on $10 a month and you can share those accounts so easily.

I definitely agree, but I do think it's all predicated on the power dynamic in North America remaining stagnant. All bets are off if Netflix or Amazon jump into the game. But that's a gigantic "if".

But I think Amazon or Netflix would sooner try and jump in by partnering with WWE than by fighting against them.

It's like that article last week that speculated that Facebook would bid on WWE rights in 2019. It makes more sense for Amazon to throw $100-$150 million a year at WWE than for them to spend that money trying to start their own thing.

Unless that's what you're getting at. In which case, I obviously agree.

On the other hand you will get new fans, because performers will not be afraid to say things on social media, or interact with their fans. That shadow of making sure not to burn a bridge with Vince will not be there anymore.

Oh yeah, professional wrestlers have proven to be very endearing over social media.

cordy

Banned
LMAO at a shitass company like Sinclair pushing ROH to be worth anything in the U.S.

giphy.gif

I can imagine it now.

"Did they have Hogan?"
"No."
"Rock? Austin?"
"No."
"The Undertaker?!"
"No."
"Bret Da Hitma, is that his name? Hitman?"
"No..."
"NWO 4Lyfe?"
"No."
"Who did they have?"
"They had CM Punk and Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins and-"
"You mean those guys who became stars in WWE? They had them?"
"Well yeah..."
"Wait you mean to tell me these people go to WWE and become bigger stars?"
"Yeah..."
"Ok thanks. HEY CHERYL?!!? TELL VINCE WE GOT A DEAL!!!"
".............."

Foggy

But I think Amazon or Netflix would sooner try and jump in by partnering with WWE than by fighting against them.

It's like that article last week that speculated that Facebook would bid on WWE rights in 2019. It makes more sense for Amazon to throw $100-$150 million a year at WWE than for them to spend that money trying to start their own thing.

Yeah in all manner of unlikelihoods, that's the likeliest option. But you never know. A couple dominoes fall into place and suddenly it's a reality. But that's not exactly a cornerstone of any #5years hypothesizing.

I think Amazon, Facebook and Twitter are way more interested in exclusive streaming rights for sports than Netflix is. Netflix is all about diversity of content ala HBO circa late 80s. Facebook and Twitter want it because it drives up engagement on their platform since so much viewing happens as a secondary thing via social.

Amazon would only want it just to further dominate in that space

cordy

Banned
This Cordy Baking a Pie guy seems super defensive ������
hG1e2dC.gif

I'm just speaking that real shawty.

You're just mad that 20 years from now you'll be telling your kids about the legend of Michael Elgin while wearing a Kenny Omega shirt and they'll say "Nah pops, Mike-E was a star in WWE, same with Ken O'Mastered, you washed up."

We keeping it a buck here!

I think Amazon, Facebook and Twitter are way more interested in exclusive streaming rights for sports than Netflix is. Netflix is all about diversity of content ala HBO circa late 80s. Facebook and Twitter want it because it drives up engagement on their platform since so much viewing happens as a secondary thing via social.

Amazon would only want it just to further dominate in that space

Twitter is on a down trend lately.

I think if they go online, the likely destination is Amazon or Facebook.

Top Bottom