• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Has a gaijin ever held the IWGP belt?

Real question, I honestly don't know.
6e9c790cb57e286d4e00b6b9a3b4cbf2--wrestling-stars-aj-styles.jpg

Or, they truly believe what they do IS best for business, and those midgets like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan that just a few fans cheer for (at every show) aren't real stars. Roman Reigns is best for business. It's decided and that's that.

No Anth0ny you don't get it. Malice implies competence.

The real scary thing? The terrifying reality of it all?

I think the Punk program was 100% designed to get him over. They thought that would work.

Has a gaijin ever held the IWGP belt?

Real question, I honestly don't know.

Brock and Kurt immediately spring to mind.

But at the same time, Juice is gonna need a lot of people in front of him to disappear before he even sniffs that belt. And he needs more personality. He reminds me of pre-LIJ Naito at this point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That's a hell of a list of outsiders to hold the belt.

As if anyone needed further proof that NJPW knows what they're doing.

Foggy

Juice doesn't need a personality. He has a tattoo of a cartoon bear on his butt and they sell merch with the bear on it. Homeboy's over.

Heroman

Banned
Brock and Kurt immediately spring to mind.

But at the same time, Juice is gonna need a lot of people in front of him to disappear before he even sniffs that belt. And he needs more personality. He reminds me of pre-LIJ Naito at this point.
Kurt actually Never held the IWGP

No Anth0ny you don't get it. Malice implies competence.

The real scary thing? The terrifying reality of it all?

I think the Punk program was 100% designed to get him over. They thought that would work.

Nah. I'm sorry. From the moment HHH got involved, this becomes extremely difficult to believe. From the moment Nash got involved, it's downright impossible. I can't do it, friend.

Juice doesn't need a personality. He has a tattoo of a cartoon bear on his butt and they sell merch with the bear on it. Homeboy's over.

He is, but there's a difference between being over and being a top tier guy. I mean very few guys win that IWGP belt. Only four guys have held it at all in the last six years. It's extremely exclusive.

Like I said, Juice right now reminds me of old Naito. He's over and he can have a great match with anyone, but he's not top champ material. He needs something more.

Kurt actually Never held the IWGP

He won it from Brock, but it's just not recognized by NJPW because they were in a dispute with Brock at the time. So technically yes, but also technically no. It's weird.

I don't think you guys realize the damage that no wrestling (whatever you think of the WWE) on TV would do.

Seriously. For every guy that gets into being an indy wrestler to be an indy wrestler, five+ get into wrestling because there's a big company to make good money at the end of the rainbow

somedevil

Seriously. For every guy that gets into being an indy wrestler to be an indy wrestler, five+ get into wrestling because there's a big company to make good money at the end of the rainbow

Also, for the women wrestlers other than WWE where else can you make good money?

Foggy

If that was true why did WWE just sign away the top talent of Stardom?

By that same token there are just as many that turned down WWE based on contracts offered. The joshi scene isn't in a healthy spot, but if you're a top draw then you can do just as well staying in Japan. They'd be smart to know that there are only so many foreign female wrestlers that the WWE/NXT will give a genuine push.

It wouldn't be easy, but a female wrestler can make a name and make good money for herself if they hustle enough. It's certainly possible to make a good living outside the WWE, it's just rare and it has to be the right kind of talent. You just have to have the heart to be a true freelancer.

Remember when Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo, and Mayu Iwatani broke Pentagon's arm in Lucha Underground? Of course you don't, no one's watching Season 3!

By that same token there are just as many that turned down WWE based on contracts offered. The joshi scene isn't in a healthy spot, but if you're a top draw then you can do just as well staying in Japan. They'd be smart to know that there are only so many foreign female wrestlers that the WWE/NXT will give a genuine push.

It wouldn't be easy, but a female wrestler can make a name and make good money for herself if they hustle enough. It's certainly possible to make a good living outside the WWE, it's just rare and it has to be the right kind of talent. You just have to have the heart to be a true freelancer.

And without WWE as an option/motivator. The number of people who try to become wrestlers shrinks significantly

Foggy

Just know that whatever you choose to love and spend your valuable time with, just find a way to love pro wrestling like Kojima loves ice cream

giphy.gif

Heroman

Banned
There will always be people who become pro wreslter as there will always be failed ufc , amateur wreslter, other sports,and people who just wanna be them.

Foggy

And without WWE as an option/motivator. The number of people who try to become wrestlers shrinks significantly

It's hard to say how much of an impact it would truly have, but truth be told, you don't suffer the grind of making a living and reach the highest levels if your only goal is to get a call from papa Haitch. There's a special amount of mental illness needed to last and excel enough to even get to the point where you're on WWE's radar.

When there's no big company on weekly TV.

In terms of Main Reason they're not interested, I can agree.

In terms of Reasons they're not interested, this upcoming generation I can see having multiple reasons already, and if that happened it would just be the final nail.

Let's be honest, this upcoming generation of people growing up on wrestling and asking themselves "do I want to do this for a living?" have plenty of reasons not to. One, get it out of the way quick, Benoit happened. Two, CTE being a more major concern than ever has to be considered, especially with people like Bryan and McGuinness (and to a lesser extent Christian) having their retirements forced at least temporarily after a lengthy history of concussions*.

Another thing that has to be considered is people growing up wanting to be in WWE see themselves in Punk, AJ Lee, etc in that they also wanted to be wrestlers and wound up disinterested in/actively avoiding the entire business as a whole after their shitty experiences and time there. Really hard to ignore.

Top Bottom