• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

klonere

Banned
A) Comparing Finn and Evil
B) As Owens said, Reigns had just been popped he did not put over anyone.
C) See A again, as if Finn will not end up wearing the belt longer than Reigns will even have looked at it.

I mean it's a bad comparison because WWE thinks far more highly of Finn than NJPW does of EVIL. Ask yourself, if Shibata hadn't gotten messed up, would EVIL be beating Okada?

Meanwhile Finn was face of an entire brand for WWE for more than a year.

Roman lost to Finn clean 1 2 3. That's not a disputable fact.

EVIL is a filler title defense for Okada and has no hope of winning. He probably will never win the IWGP heavyweight belt.

Hex

Banned
Roman put over Finn clean in the ring on his first night on Raw on his main roster debut but doesn't count cause sheets

Okada put EVIL over after over a year on weekly NJPW shows, a NEVER win and a 6 man title win and does count

Finn was also the champion on their other program and while that does not always mean anything (Neville, Sami) with picks ups like AJ and Nakamura they realized that keeping these people hot makes a difference.
Lest I point out Cena and Owens if you are trying to make this out to be a first time rarity.

Hex

Banned
I mean it's a bad comparison because WWE thinks far more highly of Finn than NJPW does of EVIL. Ask yourself, if Shibata hadn't gotten messed up, would EVIL be beating Okada?

Meanwhile Finn was face of an entire brand for WWE for more than a year.

Roman lost to Finn clean 1 2 3. That's not a disputable fact.

EVIL is a filler title defense for Okada and has no hope of winning. He probably will never win the IWGP heavyweight belt.

That is what I am saying, Finn is on a different level and WWE has high plans for Finn.
Trying to say that Reigns putting Finn over is on the same level when this was in response to Okada and Reigns being "PROTECTED" is just asinine.
Putting Finn over is no upset and would never be seen as an upset.
Evil going over, can be considered an upset no matter how good his G1 is going.
Okada has been undefeated.
Totally agree about Shibata too.
Shitty thing is I can not bring myself to go watch a Shibata match lately.

klonere

Banned
I'm so confused at the point He's is trying to make.

Finn beating Roman his first night in is probably on par with EVIL beating Okada, if not a bigger moment.

It was an upset and as a dude watching on the night I was shocked just how strongly Finn was put over.

That said my expectations were zero so that may play into it.

Raw64life

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/893849301620621313

Pretty cool backstory to the Okada/Suzuki match tonight/later today.

They also fought three years ago at G124 in the same building on the same day. Okada won of course. And he'll probably win again today.

At least Finn was given the world title.

EVIL........��

At least he'll get a title shot as a result of beating Okada during the G1. Not happening any time soon though.

That is what I am saying, Finn is on a different level and WWE has high plans for Finn.
Trying to say that Reigns putting Finn over is on the same level when this was in response to Okada and Reigns being "PROTECTED" is just asinine.
Putting Finn over is no upset and would never be seen as an upset.
Evil going over, can be considered an upset no matter how good his G1 is going.
Okada has been undefeated.
Totally agree about Shibata too.
Shitty thing is I can not bring myself to go watch a Shibata match lately.

I would say Finn going over at the time was definitely seen as an upset. That was a gigantic moment. Now it wouldn't be as much considering he is established as a guy who can win at that level.

You know, for all the talk of guys being less happy or ruined when they go from Japan to WWE, I can only really think of one guy who is probably unhappy with the move, and that would be Hideo. And even that's just a guess. Even Gallows and Anderson, while not booked as well, are probably making more money and are closer to their families. Finn, Asuka, Nakamura, AJ, and even Tozawa seem to be happy with their current spots. And that's saying a lot considering Tozawa's position.

I'm so confused at the point He's is trying to make.

Finn beating Roman his first night in is probably on par with EVIL beating Okada, if not a bigger moment.

It was an upset and as a dude watching on the night I was shocked just how strongly Finn was put over.

That said my expectations were zero so that may play into it.
That’s every Hex post.

I wonder if NJPW would have ever given Finn the heavyweight strap.

He seems like one of the few guys who greatly benefited from the WWE move from a booking perspective. He went from being a sometimes heavyweight to a world champ in his first month on the WWE main roster.

Foggy

You know, for all the talk of guys being less happy or ruined when they go from Japan to WWE, I can only really think of one guy who is probably unhappy with the move, and that would be Hideo. And even that's just a guess. Even Gallows and Anderson, while not booked as well, are probably making more money and are closer to their families. Finn, Asuka, Nakamura, AJ, and even Tozawa seem to be happy with their current spots. And that's saying a lot considering Tozawa's position.

They're all worse wrestlers, so there's varying degrees of ruination going on. Whether they're happy or not doesn't really factor into the appraisal.

Toki767

Ambrose was getting Ambrose sucks dueling chants (dunno if thatbwas audible on TV)

Toronto is avpretty fuck you we do what we want vrowd

Well I can't blame the Toronto crowd for that. They wanted a Shield reunion and Ambrose is the only one preventing it until Rollins turned down the fist bump.

I wonder if NJPW would have ever given Finn the heavyweight strap.

He seems like one of the few guys who greatly benefited from the WWE move from a booking perspective. He went from being a sometimes heavyweight to a world champ in his first month on the WWE main roster.

Highly, highly doubt it. The only time I could've seen him with it was during the time AJ had the belt.

They're all worse wrestlers, so there's varying degrees of ruination going on. Whether they're happy or not doesn't really factor into the appraisal.

That's exactly my point though. I think we care a lot more about their "ruination" than they do. It's why I think people are off-base very often when they say "oh, X wrestler would never go to WWE after seeing how Y was used!" It even was supported by that interview with Ricochet when he talked about 205 Live.

Like we talk about WWE ruining them, but they all seem happier, so to me I can't be too mad at it.

Lol Raw is going to win this week...

Jinder vs Orton non title tomorrow

Rusev interferes. Jinder wins.

Alternatively, Rusev interferes, Nakamura stops him. Randy wins.

Alternatively, Rusev interferes, Nakamura stops him. Tag team match playa.

There, I think I covered all of WWE's feud ideas.

I don't see anyone outside of Okada or Naito holding that belt over the next year or longer, maaaaybe Kenny if he sticks around, but that's doubtful too.

They put Cody Rhodes and Billy Gunn in main event level matches.

Let's not act like NJPW is above pushing a guy near or to the top based on name value.

I'll be honest they never should have put Bayley in front of this crowd.

It was uncomfortable to watch. The lady has zero skills on the mic when it comes to delivery and thinking on her feet. She should not have acknowledged the boos. she should have taken it to the chin, digested it and figured out a way to react to it in future shows.

Rusev interferes. Jinder wins.

Alternatively, Rusev interferes, Nakamura stops him. Randy wins.

Alternatively, Rusev interferes, Nakamura stops him. Tag team match playa.

There, I think I covered all of WWE's feud ideas.

They put Cody Rhodes and Billy Gunn in main event level matches.

Let's not act like NJPW is above pushing a guy near or to the top based on name value.

Randy winning makes sense.

He gets his revenge and everything moves on.

Wonder what AJ and Owens are gonna do

Foggy

That's exactly my point though. I think we care a lot more about their "ruination" than they do. It's why I think people are off-base very often when they say "oh, X wrestler would never go to WWE after seeing how Y was used!" It even was supported by that interview with Ricochet when he talked about 205 Live.

Like we talk about WWE ruining them, but they all seem happier, so to me I can't be too mad at it.

Yeah I think people think these guys care about this stuff more than we do. I just don't care for the altruism as a fan. Nobody gave a shit that Michael Caine bought a third house for Jaws 4, they just remarked "man, Caine really sucks since he started chasing paychecks". Nobody would have been stoked for De Niro if he went straight from Taxi Driver to Rocky and Bullwinkel and Focker movies. There's nothing wrong with being happy for their personal lives and lamenting that they suck. One has nothing to do with the other.

Stop screaming at me about mutual exclusivity, Foggy.

Y..y.y..you think you know me...

Ona serious note: did anyone watch Table of 3 with DDP, Xpac and Hall?

Yeah I think people think these guys care about this stuff more than we do. I just don't care for the altruism as a fan. Nobody gave a shit that Michael Caine bought a third house for Jaws 4, they just remarked "man, Caine really sucks since he started chasing paychecks". Nobody would have been stoked for De Niro if he went straight from Taxi Driver to Rocky and Bullwinkel and Focker movies. There's nothing wrong with being happy for their personal lives and lamenting that they suck. One has nothing to do with the other.

I'm not saying they are directly related or that you necessarily can't be upset at that. But I don't know if it directly translates like that. I think it just boils down to me personally thinking that they are still mostly doing good work. Not as good, mind you, but nothing of the drastic examples you used.

Like if you are a big fan of an indie actor, and they get a big break role in a movie that may not be as great as their indie work but is still decent, you'd probably be happy for them, no?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really hope Kitamura and Oka's 'excursion' winds up here
Big_Japan_Pro_Wrestling_logo.jpg

also Yuji Hino showed up in DDT last week.

cordy

Banned
That Bayley thing was on her. They weren't booing her because they hated her, they booed her because she said she was injured like they always boo when someone's injured. If they hated her they'd cheer when she said she was injured. Where she fucked up, and damn near turned heel, is when she addressed the boos so they really booed her. She pretty much fucked herself in the end. I can't blame that on booking, I blame that on her not knowing how to deal with the crowd.

She's fucked for a lil while.

Foggy

I'm not saying they are directly related or that you necessarily can't be upset at that. But I don't know if it directly translates like that. I think it just boils down to me personally thinking that they are still mostly doing good work. Not as good, mind you, but nothing of the drastic examples you used.

Like if you are a big fan of an indie actor, and they get a big break role in a movie that may not be as great as their indie work but is still decent, you'd probably be happy for them, no?

That's fine, personal evaluations and all that. The De Niro example is definitely hyperbolic, but the Caine one is apropos for me. Caine was still the best part of his paycheck movies, but I don't want to watch them and when I do he's pretty damn bad. Except for Jaws 4 when I was 8, but I didn't know any better.

Not really. At the end of the day, they're producer and I'm consumer. Anything past that is a construct of my imagination.

Top Bottom