• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Sephzilla

What's this? GWF7 banners are going up all over town!

t1502492400z2.png

PRviDhR.png

47zjh3s.png

aC81Iwt.png

sMOUtQH.png

3Uk1HTj.png

4ORDnkz.png

z1z08kL.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Life comes at Corbin fast huh?

Getting flashbacks of when Miz son'd him on commentary.

k5KJA5.gif

amazing.

Why isnt Miz champion? oh right he's short.

Fuck this company.

Sephzilla

I'd fully support Miz getting a World Title run. Dude's one of the best talkers in the company and his in-ring skills are decent enough. He's good enough to make sure the match isn't dog shit

Almost everyone else on the roster barring Jinder or something because I don't need to see cheesy acting, I'd rather see people who can at the very least wrestle a little bit.

Seriously: do you remember any of the matches he did other than that Ziggler one, and maybe the fact he had a worthless Cena match at WM?

Wrestling to me is equal parts promo and in-ring. Sure, Miz isn't the best in the ring, but he's fine. And to flip your argument around, I remember his promos from last fall and the buildup to WM a hell of a lot more than I remember anyone else's.

Part of wrestling is promos. Acting like they aren't worth anything is dumb IMO. And he's had enough good matches to at least partially keep him rated decent on that front.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd fully support Miz getting a World Title run. Dude's one of the best talkers in the company and his in-ring skills are decent enough. He's good enough to make sure the match isn't dog shit

What matches does he have that are even vaguely memorable other than that Ziggler one that nobody here can probably remember which PPV it was on without looking it up.

World title mean nothing so the miz should probably get a reign. It doesn't really matter.

He already had a run and main-evented WrestleMania. And won the main event.

Wrestling to me is equal parts promo and in-ring. Sure, Miz isn't the best in the ring, but he's fine. And to flip your argument around, I remember his promos from last fall and the buildup to WM a hell of a lot more than I remember anyone else's.

Part of wrestling is promos. Acting like they aren't worth anything is dumb IMO. And he's had enough good matches to at least partially keep him rated decent on that front.
The point of a promo is to get your match over. He can't do that because he's had 10 years of putting complete nothing matches so nobody cares. In that sense I don't even agree he's that good on promos. There's only so good you can be when you've proven you can't back anything you're saying up.

What matches does he have that are even vaguely memorable other than that Ziggler one that nobody here can probably remember which PPV it was on without looking it up.

He already had a run and main-evented WrestleMania. And won the main event.
None. There are no other memorable matches.

Sephzilla

Didn't he have a pretty decent match with Styles?

And honestly, in-ring performance doesn't matter that much in WWE these days.

Zach

Well I guess I'll watch Ric Flair and Sting vs. the Colossal Kongs.

Haha, and Michael Buffer is doing the introductions.

"Man your battle stations!!!"

"From the unexplored confines of South Africa..."

What is happening?!

Miz is kind of in that role of clearly well liked backstage, but in a midcard way.

Like I don't think he'll ever get a world title again, but not because he's hated. Dude probably has a backstage role or a commentator job ready to be offered by Vince the second he retires.

I just don't get the argument that we can only use Miz's matches as a judge of his quality. He's a great talker and that matters.

Y'all already forgot that Miz already had a World Title reign and that it was one of the worst of the decade.

He's in a much better place character and promo-wise than he was then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That's not even sort of true. The in-ring quality of WWE matches is higher than it has ever been in the history of the company. That's not even just my own random opinion: Meltzer says it all of the time on twitter and also mentions that in-ring work matters more now that it ever did.

Egg0

Banned

He had a pretty good match with AJ (weird right?) on a Smackdown, but they kept cutting to Cena because he was on commentary.

Nah, that career-threatening match was great. Had a ton of heat.

And you can't honestly believe that Miz didn't have a part in Dolph getting over. Dolph had a terrible feud before Miz, and nothing but bad feuds after Miz. What's more likely, that Miz did a great job, or that it just so happens that the one great Dolph feud in years happened against him?

Yeah but how do you quantify who was responsible for that? Maybe Dolph promos got him over because writers peeled back micromanagement and Vince wasnt feeding Dolph cue cards?

I mean, Miz is Miz. I don't buy that Miz has helped change the trajectory of anyone's career whether it was for a night or indefinitely. Dolph isn't doing shit today except jobbing per usual so either the rub wasn't a rub or he fucked it up.

I dunno

Heroman

Banned
I just don't get the argument that we can only use Miz's matches as a judge of his quality. He's a great talker and that matters.

He's in a much better place character and promo-wise than he was then.
He talks good but the biggest problem is that no one takes him seriously.

Yeah but how do you quantify who was responsible for that? Maybe Dolph promos got him over because writers peeled back micromanagement and Vince wasnt feeding Dolph cue cards?

I mean, Miz is Miz. I don't buy that Miz has helped change the trajectory of anyone's career . Dolph isn't doing shit today except jobbing per usual so either the rub wasn't a rub or he fucked it up.

I dunno

My only argument against that point is just that that has literally never happened another time in Dolph's career. So what are the odds it happens one time against Miz, he gets over, and then they decide to revert to their old ways again forever?

He talks good but the biggest problem is that no one takes him seriously.

His matches have heat most of the time, so apparently not.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Miz is Miz. I don't buy that Miz has helped change the trajectory of anyone's career . Dolph isn't doing shit today except jobbing per usual so either the rub wasn't a rub or he fucked it up.

I dunno

No, it's because the script started leaning towards Miz doing worked shoot promos to bury people (which he gets to do like 10% of the time) instead of it being 100% inane Miz TV nonsense.

My only argument against that point is just that that has literally never happened another time in Dolph's career. So what are the odds it happens one time against Miz, he gets over, and then they decide to revert to their old ways again forever?

Dolph Ziggler has arguably the most well remembered cash-in ever up until Rollins did it at WM. Ziggler was pretty over for a while.

Angry Grimace

has anyone had a memorable match with randy orton since 2004?

Daniel Bryan/Batista/Orton triple threat, mostly because Bryan was in the match. But that's the point. You remember random Bryan matches all the time because he was actual good.

Sephzilla

That's not even sort of true. The in-ring quality of WWE matches is higher than it has ever been in the history of the company. That's not even just my own random opinion: Meltzer says it all of the time on twitter and also mentions that in-ring work matters more now that it ever did.

Look at how much being a great in-ring worker is helping Sami Zayn and Apollo Crews! Remember how AJ Styles was suddenly a curtain jerker once WrestleMania came around? Meanwhile your Universal Champion is a guy who shows up twice a year and does 2 moves. And your WWE Champion is Jinder Mahal, who was defending his title against Randy Orton.

So looking at the main event picture, I have a hard time believing in-ring quality matters that much.

Heroman

Banned
Jinder Mahal

It's hard to really hold the in-ring stuff against Miz when everyone in the company is operating within the same framework and style

The few (the proud) like AJ can still tell a rad story within it. But majority of the guys, despite having some sweet movez to bust out, are just cycling through their 5 signature spots every match

You're very rarely going to get incredible in-ring stuff from WWE so it's better to embrace the stuff that thrives in that environment. Bliss, Miz, etc.

I'd rather see a character put on a whatever match, as long as the whatever match is elevated by their character. Miz was killing it on Smackdown, in pretty much every feud

Jinder hasnt had a memorable match with anyone.

I dont even know what the last good champ run was. Rollins with the authority chicken shit thing was terrible.

Angry Grimace

Look at how much being a great in-ring worker is helping Sami Zayn! Remember how AJ Styles was suddenly a curtain jerker once WrestleMania came around?

Meanwhile your Universal Champion is a guy who shows up twice a year and does 2 moves. And your WWE Champion is Jinder Mahal, who was defending his title against Randy Orton.
The Universal Champion is doing a match that includes Samoa Joe and Mahal is defending against Shinsuke Nakamura.

And I think it IS helping Zayn. Zayn isn't a guy who would even make the roster if he wasn't a great wrestler and all he had was a goofy look. The fact that Zayn's ceiling isn't main eventing WrestleMania is mostly a miscalculation on the part of smarks. And AJ Styles won the World Title less than 12 months ago and was the main event of like every SmackDown show following SummerSlam so I don't get that.

The booking at the largest events like Mania is done that way because Vince is up his own ass, but on a day-to-day basis it totally does matter if you can go.

Jinder hasnt had a memorable match with anyone.

I dont even know what the last good champ run was. Rollins with the authority chicken shit thing was terrible.

AJ Styles.

Owens was entertaining too because the buddy act with Jericho was amusing.

I think most people liked seeing Ambrose get a run even if it was short. I don't really know why they put Ziggler in the main event for the title at SummerSlam last year though.

Jinder Mahal

That's not a counter-point any more than if I located the absolute worst worker in NJPW and argued it was bad. Guys like AJ Styles/Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn literally would not have ever worked in the company 10 years ago.

Sephzilla

The Universal Champion is doing a match that includes Samoa Joe and Mahal is defending against Shinsuke Nakamura.

And I think it IS helping Zayn. Zayn isn't a guy who would even make the roster if he wasn't a great wrestler and all he had was a goofy look. The fact that Zayn's ceiling isn't main eventing WrestleMania is mostly a miscalculation on the part of smarks. And AJ Styles won the World Title less than 12 months ago and was the main event of like every SmackDown show following SummerSlam so I don't get that.

The booking at the largest events like Mania is done that way because Vince is up his own ass, but on a day-to-day basis it totally does matter if you can go.

AJ Styles.

Owens was entertaining too because the buddy act with Jericho was amusing.

I think most people liked seeing Ambrose get a run even if it was short. I don't really know why they put Ziggler in the main event for the title at SummerSlam last year though.

AJ Styles was WWE champ until it became time for Vince to start marketing the important shows. Then AJ lost the strap and was fighting part timers

Angry Grimace

AJ Styles was WWE champ until it became time for Vince to start marketing the important shows. Then AJ lost the strap and was fighting part timers

Fighting the part timers is considered a good gig for WrestleMania. You might not like that, but it's true.

Top Bottom