• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

I hope this Mania gets the first 3 hour Pre-Show.

The endings to early Billy and Mandy eps feel very odd. Very sudden, heels win often enough.

Rimfya

Banned
Did Rollins look at Vince weird or something? Cus nothing says you fucked up more in 2017 than teaming up with Dean Ambrose to fight Cesaro and Sheamus.
They've finally realised he's not interesting enough on his own.

But they realised this after they put him on the cover of the game.

KissVibes

Banned
Y'all thought Jason Jordan was the draw of American Alpha because he pulled his singlet down and made hype faces. In reality, Gable is the long-term draw. He's where the money is.

Jason Jordan should be teaming with Mojo as the part of the Zubaz Boys.

Y'all thought Jason Jordan was the draw of American Alpha because he pulled his singlet down and made hype faces. In reality, Gable is the long-term draw. He's where the money is.

Pretty much everyone knows Gable was the real star of the team but everyone just accepted that Jordan is who'd they pick if they wanted to push one.

Toki767

No one thought Jason Jordan was the draw of American Alpha.

Except probably Vince McMahon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Current mood.

giphy.gif

Stephanie is that you?

I'm a Rollins mark so I'll be the first to call him on his bullshit and I have.

My biggest problem with him right now is he comes off as unauthentic. Let me explain: I have no doubt that the persona he brings down the ramp is reflective of who the man is in some ways but the thing of it is, it's more reflective of the man he wants to be rather than the man he is. Look, this dude just reeks of corporate shill, a team player, a guy who is playing by Vince's and Michael Haye's rules to go over. So when the dude walks down to electric guitars, drums and screaming bullshit, I just don't buy it. He wears black; I see fucking brown starting att the tip of his nose.

Here we are just coming off a hot G1 and then I flip to Rollins' matches and see spots 1-7 on his WWE menu. Why won't the guy burnb the fucking menu, grow a spine and tell creative to give him some wiggle room rather than perform another by the numbers routine while Omega / Naito/ Suzuki and Okada do their thing? Why?

I'll tell you why, because BURN IT DOWN loves his corporate 2 million payday from Trump supporter Vince K McMahon.

Jesus. Rollins has a lot of shit on the independent scene that shows he is being repressed here and that's no one's fault but his own.

"BURN IT...oh, what, Vince? Tag with Dean and Job to Sheamus and Cesaro? Okay, boss. Good talk."

Toki767

Isn't that virtually everyone on the WWE payroll though?

People don't go to WWE to put on 5 star matches.

They go for the paycheck.

So a wild Corbin appears in the WWE. He's gotten away from this but one thing i loved about his schtick awhile back was that he wasnt afraid to talk about how much he was getting paid and how he only answers to the person who cuts the check. There's an authentic grungy dude right there.

cordy

Banned

Fucking this.

Dudes come to the biggest company for the paycheck, more eyes on them and the fact they get to follow their idols by working in the same company, winning the same belts and doing similar things. That "5 star match" shit isn't working a damn thing to them when they need to put bread on the table. If they wanted to work 5 star matches they'd go to ROH.

I'm not even debating whether or not people go to wwe for the paycheck. i am explicitly saying an "Against the system" gimmick doesnt work when you're a fucking shill for said system

False equivalency. Different Era, different approach to presentation, writing and promos. Additionally, How many gimmicks did Stone Cold have that failed before running on his own ideas and presentation?

Stone Cold stood up to Vince while respecting him as a boss. Rollins isn't Stone Cold. No dude protecting his spot is going to Vince with : "So, boss, got an idea. I'd like to roll a program with Sheamus and Cesaro"

Pikma

Banned
Apparently the tease is for an american guy, going by the paper page shown in the video, so I don't think it's Jay White

cordy

Banned
False equivalency. Different Era, different approach to presentation, writing and promos. Additionally, How many gimmicks did Stone Cold have that failed before running on his own ideas and presentation?

Stone Cold stood up to Vince while respecting him as a boss. Rollins isn't Stone Cold. No dude protecting his spot is going to Vince with : "So, boss, got an idea. I'd like to roll a program with Sheamus and Cesaro"

Dawg on the real, you can't blame it on his gimmick as regardless what his gimmick is it's freedom and even if you have freedom these days that can't protect you each and every time. New Day got over due to their freedom but that didn't stop them from having lame segments with Gallows and Anderson, hell Shield got over due to their freedom which allowed them to bully writers and even stop Cena from squashing them but that didn't stop what happened afterwards. Austin had the anti-Authority gimmick and he shilled for the company as well but the difference in Austin's case is that he didn't have a plethora of writers like everyone does in the company these days, he didn't have that many officials telling him what to do and he also had access to things that no guys these days have. Even if Rollins said "I don't want to do this" he'd eventually have to do something else he didn't like because right now you're trying to say the same thing Austin's been trying to say that Ambrose and other current stars shot down. They do have freedom, just not the freedom that you think they should have as what you think works isn't what they think works. Nobody in the company (even Lesnar himself) is allowed to do 100% what they wanna do. Even if you have freedom eventually something will happen where you're stalled because there's more factors in play here.

Lastly as for Sheamus and Cesaro...

At the end of the day the biggest pop went to a guy you think is a corporate shill who's teaming with a great friend of his (Ambrose) and he's going against someone who's also a great friend of his (Cesaro) and a decent worker named Sheamus. That match will probably be far safer as well for him. He's making millions of dollars and he's probably about to be a tag champion again. You look at this from his eyes and then think he'd trade all of that for some 5 star match just so he can have dudes online who hate the product going "omg he's amazing" when he's getting more worldwide cheers than dudes who are already having those matches in Japan. It doesn't even out by any means on his side.

Come on now bruh. That sounds silly. It's the same reason why Shinsuke went to WWE in the first place. Dude don't come to WWE to put on 5 star matches like in Japan. They come there for bigger checks, more eyes on them and to furthermore build their legacy in ways that protects their bodies compared to everywhere else. You might see that as their talent not being used to their full potential but in their case? They're earning way more money to provide for their families while protecting their bodies more for the long haul which, funny enough, is the same thing Miz said on a Talking Smack once when people were saying he's not good in the ring.

Shit's completely different. Rollins isn't immune to it. Nobody in the company is.

No one thought Jason Jordan was the draw around here...

I have G1 induced jet lag, watching the Kenny vs Austin Tekken match and man, Creed destroyed Omega.

Also, I didn't know there was an Okada outfit, and the fighter even does the Rainmaker, holy shit, I need to get this game.

I like your angle on it, cordy. i'll process it. nothing wrong with wanting to protect your health and still express yourself and your character as you see fit.

Pikma

Banned
Fucking this.

Dudes come to the biggest company for the paycheck, more eyes on them and the fact they get to follow their idols by working in the same company, winning the same belts and doing similar things. That "5 star match" shit isn't working a damn thing to them when they need to put bread on the table. If they wanted to work 5 star matches they'd go to ROH.
Lol it's 2017, nobody actually wants to go to ROH.

cordy

Banned
I like your angle on it, cordy. i'll process it. nothing wrong with wanting to protect your health and still express yourself and your character as you see fit.

Man it's all good because believe me I'm sure they'd want to put on better matches and all that but given the hand they have it's difficult. Sure they might not be able to put on the 5 stars but they can do much better if they just let them do what they want.

I remember that Asylum Match with Ambrose/Jericho and WON said that because the company cut out a match they had to extend it by 10 extra mins. Just imagine how it would have been without that 10 min crap in the middle. The match was 26 mins long. Sure it wouldn't have been great but it's stuff like that which shows that they're so restricted in what they do. I would have used that 10 mins and do something random to get someone else's character over but that's just me.

late to the party on this, but here's my tepid take:

if you think wrestling is garbage right now you're a miserable bastard who insists on only hate watching wwe and it's your fault

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I'm not a wrestler but if you asked me whether I'd rather annhilate myself in NJPW for joy of soiling Meltzer's drawers or make fat checks traveling the country and doing foreign tours but having to wrestle Baron Corbin I know what I'd be doing.

$$$

Top Bottom