• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

XenoRaven

Remember when the extent of Japanese Wrestling coverage here was Bootaaay and Dragonzord arguing over Hiroshi Tanahashi's win/loss record?

Now we have casual fans posting Michael Elgin gifs.

Maybe this place really did flourish in my absence.
Yeah now they argue over Okada's win/loss record

Either he wins and goes 1 on 1 with Jinder at Slam or the match ends in fuckery leading to a triple threat.

The current trajectory of him steam rolling over foreigners seems like a troll by the writers. At least I hope it is. Another part of me just wants to feel a sense of disbelief if they see it all the way through (and reward him with a championship for it)

global-wars-omega.png

Sephzilla

I'm glad that New Japan discussion has increased a lot here in about the last year, even if it's a biproduct of WWE going further down the shitter

nice

DLC taken to the next level. At least you get a toy right?

nintendo has been testing the waters of AmiiboDLC for a bit now. Breath of the Wild had a few unlocks tied to those things as well.

nice

DLC taken to the next level. At least you get a toy right?

If you can find one while they're still on shelves .

Generally with DLC, ANYONE can hop on psn and xbl and download it. That Nintendo lock features of a game only to be unlocked by toys they produce very little of is...I have no words for it.

Yet people keep praising Iwata's contributions to Nintendo. when it was he who signed off on all this back when Smash on Wii U came out.

Either he wins and goes 1 on 1 with Jinder at Slam or the match ends in fuckery leading to a triple threat.

Yeah, you can never count out fuckery. Gonna laugh if they completely chicken out and have Jinder and Khali ruin the match, leading to Jinder and Khali vs Cenakamura at Summerslam, belt not on the line.

Heroman

Banned

Generally with DLC, ANYONE can hop on psn and xbl and download it. That Nintendo lock features of a game only to be unlocked by toys they produce very little of is...I have no words for it.

Yet people keep praising Iwata's contributions to Nintendo. when it was he who signed off on all this back when Smash on Wii U came out.
The Dude made the Wii and Ds and sign off on the switch.

miserable

any notable matches in All-Japan in the last months that I should check out?

I haven't watched any since the big dog won the strap.

jmdajr

Yeah. I guess that's a problem. That I will never have to worry about.

Sephzilla

I still say the Wii was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo because it seems like that system's success pushed them down the gimmick path permanently. Iwata is the reason Nintendo stopped being a competitive company and is now the cute alternative - because he decided the company didn't need to learn from the GameCube's mistakes and instead just brushed them under the rug and said lets do something else.

Anyways, back to wrestling. Will we get bored Nakamura for the Cena match?

Also the Tank Abbott 'sudden shocking champ' thing would have literally been the best option they had at that time.

Instead of vacating it, then putting it on a guy who they knew was leaving the next night so they could vacate it again and then have Sid win it like 4 times in the span of a month.

Foggy

any notable matches in All-Japan in the last months that I should check out?

I haven't watched any since the big dog won the strap.

All of Ishikawa's title defenses have been great, a Miyahara match is always worth watching, and the buddy cop dynamic of Kai and Mashimo is must watch.

Also the Tank Abbott 'sudden shocking champ' thing would have literally been the best option they had at that time.

Instead of vacating it, then putting it on a guy who they knew was leaving the next night so they could vacate it again and then have Sid win it like 4 times in the span of a month.
It would interesting to see.

I like the Switch too but I'd still prefer a Nintendo that actually tried to be competitive instead of living in its own little bubble world where it tries to be the unique little snowflake.

Why I already got a PS4 and PC to play everything else I rather have different type of games. My STEAM catalog is already insane my backlog of games I have to go through just gets bigger every steam sale. I can't believe how good Nintendo's output has been in year 1 of Switch. The last 2 years of Wii were some real dark times.

Heroman

Banned
I like the Switch too but I'd still prefer a Nintendo that actually tried to be competitive instead of living in its own little bubble world where it tries to be the unique little snowflake.
I rather them be unique than selling basically the same type consle that MS And Sony sells.

Couldnt help but laugh through Yokota v Manami. Yokota no sold the hell out of that match. Some of those strikes also looked like a shoot.

Gotta show the kid the ropes!

Jaguar was pretty nice to her post-match though, after stretching the fuck out of her and no selling all her shitty dropkicks haha. Kid's only 12 though, very impressive for someone who's only been wrestling since April.

Remember when the extent of Japanese Wrestling coverage here was Bootaaay and Dragonzord arguing over Hiroshi Tanahashi's win/loss record?

Ah, memories. My favourite was posting playlists and cards of indie puro shows that no one except me wanted to watch. And arguing about whether Naito was a wrestling genius or destined to be a flop...gotta admit that Data was probably right on that one, in the end :p

jmdajr

I still say the Wii was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo because it seems like that system's success pushed them down the gimmick path permanently. Iwata is the reason Nintendo stopped being a competitive company and is now the cute alternative - because he decided the company didn't need to learn from the GameCube's mistakes and instead just brushed them under the rug and said lets do something else.

Is this a thing now?

Sephzilla

I rather them be unique than selling basically the same type consle that MS And Sony sells.

*Shrug*

We'll never know but I think if Nintendo put out a PS4/XB1 caliber system these days (and have an online infrastructure that felt like it belonged in 2017) they'd probably have a system thats selling out on par with or even better than the Switch.

Is this a thing now?

I was slightly joking but it sort of feels like Nakamura doesn't go 100% in a decent chunk of his matches. I haven't been very impressed with a lot of his NXT/WWE output since the Zayn match

The real question is do we get WWE Main Roster Nakamura or NJPW B-Show Nakamura

Toki767

I was slightly joking but it sort of feels like Nakamura doesn't go 100% in a decent chunk of his matches. I haven't been very impressed with a lot of his NXT/WWE output since the Zayn match

I wonder if that's a Nakamura thing or if it's agents telling him that he can take it easy and to save the good stuff for high profile matches.

Syder

*Shrug*

We'll never know but I think if Nintendo put out a PS4/XB1 caliber system these days (and have an online infrastructure that felt like it belonged in 2017) they'd probably have a system thats selling out on par with or even better than the Switch.
They would absolutely be selling more systems.

Draxal

It would be like your ECW competing against WWF and WCW all over again. The economies of scale just favor Sony/Microsoft.

Sephzilla

No one even asked me about Hogan/Butcher. : (

Was the match good?

They would absolutely be selling more systems.

If they could only make the same amount, they would be selling the same amount right now.

I honestly think so, Nintendo's name brand value sells systems on its own. The reason the GameCube failed is because Sony set up the PS2 to simply be in a much better position and the GameCube lacked a lot of things consumers wanted at the time. Sony doesn't necessarily have some of those advantages anymore, and if Nintendo would just learn a little they could easily have a system that has the third party support plus all of the first party stuff that sells their systems. I would absolutely go back to buying a Nintendo and not caring about Xbox and Playstation if I could.

It would be like your ECW competing against WWF and WCW all over again. The economies of scale just favor Sony/Microsoft.

Nintendo is richer than people realize. But admittedly the Wii-U flopping took a bit hit out of them

Top Bottom