• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Syder

So I had a question for Wrasslin gaf. What if new Japan started something like new American pro wrestling? Could be an offshoot american-based promotion they could send over half there belts since they have too many anyway. I feel like they could keep the high-quality wrestling and then use a few gimmick matches that they don't seem to do in Japan. I would love to see some of those guys over there in cage matches, table matches, last man standing and things of that nature.
The G1 Special in US was a big step into having regular shows in the US. They've already said they're doing it again next year and they could've easily filled a bigger arena this year.

I don't think New Japan have any desire to invade America but they clearly want to capitalise on the interest in their product in North America.

Who knows what the future holds.

Sephzilla

*shakes Seph's hand for using a Indy gif*

giphy.gif

Foggy

I am up to day 6 in the G1 climax which is my first ever g1. I love Japanese pro wrestling and it's ignited my passion for pro wrestling that I haven't had since 2006. Just sucks they don't have American commentators for all the days.

So I had a question for Wrasslin gaf. What if new Japan started something like new American pro wrestling? Could be an offshoot american-based promotion they could send over half there belts since they have too many anyway. I feel like they could keep the high-quality wrestling and then use a few gimmick matches that they don't seem to do in Japan. I would love to see some of those guys over there in cage matches, table matches, last man standing and things of that nature.

I believe the intention is to start up an American based dojo and office and then use that to establish a foothold and organically grow. Train guys and try to lock them down for a long time and periodically bring over a couple NJPW talent to bolster some cards. It's a longshot and far ways away from having any tangible impact, but it feels like the most prudent approach when entering a largely unfamiliar market.

Wtf? Mooch got fired!

LOLZ

been too busy watching shenanigans here.

Oh my god, breathtaking

I believe the intention is to start up an American based dojo and office and then use that to establish a foothold and organically grow. Train guys and try to lock them down for a long time and periodically bring over a couple NJPW talent to bolster some cards. It's a longshot and far ways away from having any tangible impact, but it feels like the most prudent approach when entering a largely unfamiliar market.

That seems like a lot of overhead costs when people in the indies are in line already waiting to get in. It's an interesting thought but I honestly don't see this as being nothing but a once a year cameo to push the brand out to audiences here in the states.

Egg0

Banned
I hope the spin off is about how Cena helps Bumblebee kill Hitler.

I'm pretty sure Verendus isn't posting here any time soon

Didn't know he was a regular here. I knew him as the dude that got banned for saying he had an early copy FFXV, but didn't. Also "Balee dat"

Sephzilla

You can definitely tell that Trump learned from Vince. Trump doesn't like it when someone else becomes bigger than the promotion administration either.

yeah, i'm pretty sure he got permed because he got exposed as a fraud. I sorta miss him and his devout Roman Reigns and Batista admiration.

He claimed he worked at Sony and was ousted as a fraud? Guess you can say the mods didn't BELIEVE THAT!

AHAHAHAHA *Vince laugh at Shawn Michaels with laptop laugh*

Foggy

That seems like a lot of overhead costs when people in the indies are in line already waiting to get in. It's an interesting thought but I honestly don't see this as being nothing but a once a year cameo to push the brand out to audiences here in the states.

I think the thought process could be to set aside a chunk of overhead to get everything up and running and put into a position where it can sustain itself organically. Just plant a seed and let it feed off of a thriving indie scene on the west coast. If it works out, great, if not then you haven't wasted that much time and money on this particular investment. Especially if the initial funds are gifted from the billionaire at the helm of this thing.

The other option is diverting perpetual resources to expanding in a market you don't actually understand and trying to gain momentum. They would need a much better tv deal and a completely revamped streaming delivery platform and a reworked infrastructure that would allow for multinational cohesion.

But like you said, the smart money is that this is only a once or twice a year attraction to maintain the base level interest. Which can still work regardless of whether you threw some seed money at a US dojo. Low risk, high reward.

I think the thought process could be to set aside a chunk of overhead to get everything up and running and put into a position where it can sustain itself organically. Just plant a seed and let it feed off of a thriving indie scene on the west coast. If it works out, great, if not then you haven't wasted that much time and money on this particular investment. Especially if the initial funds are gifted from the billionaire at the helm of this thing.

The other option is diverting perpetual resources to expanding in a market you don't actually understand and trying to gain momentum. They would need a much better tv deal and a completely revamped streaming delivery platform and a reworked infrastructure that would allow for multinational cohesion.

But like you said, the smart money is that this is only a once or twice a year attraction to maintain the base level interest. Which can still work regardless of whether you threw some seed money at a US dojo. Low risk, high reward.

I'd like to see the bigger payoff. More people need to watch NJPW. More wrestling is better.

Hey guys, stop being jerks to each other.

If you have a problem with the tone in this thread, please PM a member of the staff instead of taking it upon yourself to insult other members back.

IMO people need to put Sami Zayn's theme music (both his WWE and indie ones) on play. It will help calm them down and make them better people/posters.

In fact, everybody here should be listening to Ska

Howdy, I'm back, after 2 days of stag and 1 day of throwing up.

I am also very upset that I missed TK & Dahlia return. :(

How's things? I also look forward to seeing my GWF victory tomorrow.

Draxal

Yeah, we generally do a good job of self regulating. Honestly sometimes people just need to utilize the ignore list though.

I've seen the same thing is said in other communities before purges.

As a an outsider, I think this community took the 5 years joke and and buried it past the point of all recognition. Basically, all community threads get injokey, but this one in particular just took up much thread space.

Beefy

Howdy, I'm back, after 2 days of stag and 1 day of throwing up.

I am also very upset that I missed TK & Dahlia return. :(

How's things? I also look forward to seeing my GWF victory tomorrow.

As a an outsider, I think this community took the 5 years joke and and buried it past the point of all recognition. Basically, all community threads get injokey, but this one in particular just took up much thread space.

To be fair it was only a few dudes that said that shit

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IMO people need to put Sami Zayn's theme music (both his WWE and indie ones) on play. It will help calm them down and make them better people/posters.

In fact, everybody here should be listening to Ska

It's set as my alarm every morning. Really.

The smart thing to do would be to set Ultimate Warrior's theme as my alarm and then sprint to work.

Sephzilla

You're right, the joke/meme did get a little overpushed and I'm admittedly partially at fault for it.

Sephzilla

On that note regarding #5Years taking up thread space, if anyone legitimately thinks any of my GWF posts take up too much space please let me know. I'd rather it not become an issue for others.

Top Bottom