• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oh my god you guys were right, Jordan's new theme is atrocious. I thought someone just edited in music from Super Mario Bros 3 or something into his entrance, but no that's his actual theme. Like they're not even trying to hide they spent maybe 3 hours tops making a MIDI comp.

Fucking LOL bean breath didn't even last 24 hours

MYJkL.gif

It seems our Triumvirate of Terror has been dealt with for now.

I miss you Sweeney :'(

there seems to be a defense force for gamestop working people on thanksgiving

The argument hurts. The argument is having the workers on staff that day is a good day to help them hit their sales goals. Their sales goals IS the fucking reason why the company is justifying this to begin with.

I walked in there on Saturday to pick up a used game and the fucking lady started interviewing me as she was checking me out. (Do you have this, do you pre-order this, did you know you can save that and it would cost this...). She would not stop and I know that if she did, she doesnt get paid. I said "forget it" and walked out with my kids.

I despise that company (whose CEO even once said that people would be stupid to work at his company) with every fiber of my being. The problem is if that place goes out of business, those are less jobs for people to have to grind their way to pay their bills.

Hasney

I'm not going to defend GameStop specifically, but if you work retail, it's the reality. The only day I couldn't be scheduled working for 3 good companies in retail was Christmas day. The rest were fair game.

Beefy

black friday is a dumpster of a weekend and I wish americans would wisen up to how much of a joke the sales are

It's all here in the UK and over in a few other places now. It isn't stopping anytime soon.

ive straight up stopped black friday shopping because i think its a stupid practice that destroys family time during a holiday

Nah son, that's GT.

Super is like the post Sami Zayn era NXT

I look at online sales that's it, fuck queueing and all that crazy shit that happens

Hasney

I stay up until Midnight on the Thursday before Black Friday now it's infected the UK now and refresh a couple of websites. Usually get a game or two.

ive straight up stopped black friday shopping because i think its a stupid practice that destroys family time during a holiday

imagine living your last moments waiting in line outside of a walmart for a piece of plastic and then dying the next day. thats the last memory you leave your family. its bizarre.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I did black friday once like six years ago to get a new laptop. Way too chaotic for me, I'd rather just focus on Thanksgiving and wait for Cyber Monday.

I worked retail for Blockbuster, nine years, and the store was open 365 days a year. I didn't always like working holidays but they were required to pay extra and there were plenty of other people more than willing to do it. Students would take the opportunity for extra cash a lot of the time. For holidays like Christmas there were plenty of people who didn't celebrate so they were more than happy to work and get some extra cash.

I was never that big on Canadian Thanksgiving so it was one of the few holidays I wasn't fussed about working.

It's shitty but there will be people willing to do it.

I assume they offer pay for working holidays in the US?

I worked retail for Blockbuster, nine years, and the store was open 365 days a year. I didn't always like working holidays but they were required to pay extra and there were plenty of other people more than willing to do it. Students would take the opportunity for extra cash a lot of the time. For holidays like Christmas there were plenty of people who didn't celebrate so they were more than happy to work and get some extra cash.

I was never that big on Canadian Thanksgiving so it was one of the few holidays I wasn't fussed about working.

It's shitty but there will be people willing to do it.

I assume they offer pay for working holidays in the US?

Not obligated to but generally its hour and a half on holidays. Again tis changed because the premise here is if you dont come to work, you dont hit your goals and if you dont do that, you're fired.

Using some stupid web based thing I found since I'm not at home right now

nYJSLJr.gif

The lack of DQ on the mist reminded me that in WWE in 2017 they probably wouldn't have refs calling a DQ on it in actual matches either.

I miss rules and matches being structured around them... :(

Sephzilla

I did black friday once like six years ago to get a new laptop. Way too chaotic for me, I'd rather just focus on Thanksgiving and wait for Cyber Monday.

I just buy shit on the internet for black friday

The incentive to actually visit a physical store for Black Friday is definitely a lot smaller thanks to the internet

The lack of DQ on the mist reminded me that in WWE in 2017 they probably wouldn't have refs calling a DQ on it in actual matches either.

They actually will call DQs. I guess the mist isn't classified as a weapon.

Twitch chat marking out for the Fanta Mist was worth it

Bronx-Man

Banned
Keeping up with my rewatch of Takeover: Brooklyn I

Oh hey, Rick Rubin's here. Still in that same damn white tee as always. Joe vs Corbin is coming up, I remember this being a surprisingly great match.

Depend on the time. Twice on a black Friday around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I've bought a laptop and a printer and only took me 20 minutes. And it was a Best buy and Office Depot

Not obligated to but generally its hour and a half on holidays. Again tis changed because the premise here is if you dont come to work, you dont hit your goals and if you dont do that, you're fired.

Blockbuster was no different when it came to hitting your goals. I hear a lot of stories about Gamestop on this forum because, well, it's a gaming forum but a lot of retail is obviously goal oriented. For us it was Rewards packages. I was terrible at the upsell so my numbers were always low and they would threaten with all sorts of shit. A lot of it toothless because I was good in a lot of other areas.

I still don't like the idea of people working holidays if it can be helped. Gamestop doesn't need to be open. No one needs to go and buy video games on Thanksgiving. It's all rather silly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Blockbuster was no different when it came to hitting your goals. I hear a lot of stories about Gamestop on this forum because, well, it's a gaming forum but a lot of retail is obviously goal oriented. For us it was Rewards packages. I was terrible at the upsell so my numbers were always low and they would threaten with all sorts of shit. A lot of it toothless because I was good in a lot of other areas.

I still don't like the idea of people working holidays if it can be helped. Gamestop doesn't need to be open. No one needs to go and buy video games on Thanksgiving. It's all rather silly.

No one needs to go to the store at all to buy games anymore.

Y'all remember The Highlanders? Y'all remember one of them going to a TNA show, showing up on camera, and getting fired for it?

Good times y'all

Sephzilla

Retail stores shouldn't be open on Thanksgiving, full stop. You don't need to be buying kideo games or HDTVs when the rest of your family is carving up the turkey.

Off topic - Even after trimming a little bit of the GWF roster and listing a bunch of old wrestlers who don't post anymore inactive, the roster is still surprisingly packed

Hasney

I'm very rarely digital because fuck spending 10 quid extra per game.

Retail stores shouldn't be open on Thanksgiving, full stop. You don't need to be buying kideo games or HDTVs when the rest of your family is carving up the turkey.

Unless you have issues with your family and want to go buy something to forget the holiday is even happening.

No one needs to go to the store at all to buy games anymore.

I still like it sometimes. I actually miss going somewhere and buying a game. The anticipation of riding the bus back home with it knowing that I am going to play it.

I remember my trip to downtown Toronto, Game Shack, to buy my copy of WWF No Mercy. I was hyped.

You still get the excitement of waiting for a package in the mail or unlock digitally but it just isn't the same for me.

Off topic - Even after trimming a little bit of the GWF roster and listing a bunch of old wrestlers who don't post anymore inactive, the roster is still surprisingly packed

We would get to close our doors at 8pm for Christmas and 10pm for New Years. We would get angry customers banging at the doors minutes later demanding we let them in so they can rent something.

If you're on the Christmas or New Year shifts you give no fucks either. It's amazing how much customer we would get and I would do the minimum amount possible because they were the reason I would have to work.

My kids always remind me how little i shop at brick and mortar stores anymore. We'll walk through a store and they'll want that experience of picking something off the shelf and it's always shot down with a "No , honey, I can get it for cheaper on the bst thread" in public.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Exactly. It's disturbing how many people in that thread can't fathom not having one day to get away from all the crony capitalism.

Sephzilla

We would get to close our doors at 8pm for Christmas and 10pm for New Years. We would get angry customers banging at the doors minutes later demanding we let them in so they can rent something.

If you're on the Christmas or New Year shifts you give no fucks either. It's amazing how much customer we would get and I would do the minimum amount possible because they were the reason I would have to work.

I worked at a grocery store back in high school and college and we'd stay open until like 2 or 3pm on Thanksgiving and also be open until 8pm Christmas Eve. Those days I'd always put out the most minimal effort humanly possible because in my head I was looking at all of them going "why the fuck aren't you with your family right now? And why the fuck am I here?"

Fun fact - the worst day to be a grocery store employee isn't Thanksgiving. It's Super Bowl Sunday

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea when rules were more strictly enforced it made it more meaningful when heels would cheat and get away with it.

We haven't seen Seph fight for a while

#PartTimer?

I'm putting his ass through a table at GWF7.

BALEE DAT

I worked at a grocery store back in high school and college and we'd stay open until like 2 or 3pm on Thanksgiving and also be open until 8pm Christmas Eve. Those days I'd always put out the most minimal effort humanly possible because in my head I was looking at all of them going "why the fuck aren't you with your family right now? And why the fuck am I here?"

Fun fact - the worst day to be a grocery store employee isn't Thanksgiving. It's Super Bowl Sunday

If I'm in a store on Thanksgiving or Christmas eve it's because i forgot something for dinner, but I also will refuse to go out unless it's an absolutely essential item.

Don't even get me started on the "The day after Super Bowl should be a holiday" crowd

Top Bottom