• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bet you if I translated what Jinder says in Punjabi he'd probably be saying the same thing every time.

I'm going to die laughing if Jinder keeps cutting that promo against Shinsuke Nakamura.

naomi and becky vs natalya and carmella tonight

any chance ellsworth returns tonight? it's been almost a month?

tbh just have him vs becky at summerslam where becky squashes him it'd be fun

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
naomi and becky vs natalya and carmella tonight

any chance ellsworth returns tonight? it's been almost a month?

tbh just have him vs becky at summerslam where becky squashes him it'd be fun

Kayfabe suspension is up, Ellsworth will be on.

I bet you if I translated what Jinder says in Punjabi he'd probably be saying the same thing every time.

I'm going to die laughing if Jinder keeps cutting that promo against Shinsuke Nakamura.

YOU AMERICANS DON'T LIKE THE WAY I LOOK OR TALK BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT YET YOU CHEER NAKAMURA BECAUSE OF THE WAY HE LOOKS AND TALKS
:mad:

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I should not be excited for a game with Rabbids in it, but well, here I am.

Someone compared WWE to Nintendo yesterday. WWE could never turn shit into gold like this. They only work in the opposite direction.

I dunno Nintendo out carnies WWE in a lot of ways.

Michael Cole: "Are you guys enjoying tonights exciting pay per view? Well if you want to see all the action of the main event, go to your local Toys R Us and buy the Roman Reigns Big Dawg action figure and rub it against your television set."

Not found one I have liked in years man
Just recent ones?

I really like It Follows, The Witch, and Don't Breathe

In terms of older shit there's a whole lot to dig through. I appreciate that there's been smaller projects from newer filmmakers making some really cool shit. I have no interest in majority of the big money "ooh spooky ghost possession" nonsense

Beefy

I don't get freaked out by jump scares etc, so that rules a lot of horrors out already.

Just recent ones?

I really like It Follows, The Witch, and Don't Breathe

In terms of older shit there's a whole lot to dig through. I appreciate that there's been smaller projects from newer filmmakers making some really cool shit. I have no interest in majority of the big money "ooh spooky ghost possession" nonsense
Don't Breathe was wack for me, will try the other two out.

Angry Grimace

I don't get freaked out by jump scares etc, so that rules a lot of horrors out already.

Keep saying this and you'll end up having Bray Wyatt teleport behind you and then start crab walking.

I dunno Nintendo out carnies WWE in a lot of ways.

Michael Cole: "Are you guys enjoying tonights exciting pay per view? Well if you want to see all the action of the main event, go to your local Toys R Us and buy the Roman Reigns Big Dawg action figure and rub it against your television set."

There's nothing locked behind Amiibo that I've ever cared about. Metroid thing sucks, yeah, but it's pretty much the only instance I can think of that something that significant was done up like that.

So yeah, it's a shitty thing, but it's definitely a level of shitty higher than they have a history of being.

I like the idea of horror that creeps its way in, leaving unease and all that.
Jump scares and violence gets me but by comparison I don't enjoy it at all.

Basically I'm saying for me spooky ghosts>mass murderers

I've always found Vince's hatred of wrestling fans and wrestling fascinating. No other entertainment property hates its fanbase quite like WWE. It's like Vince 100% honestly believes that there is a type of person out there who doesn't like wrestling, but will watch 3 hours of Raw. He genuinely believes that person exists. And not only that, he books with them in mind.

No successful entertainment property does this. None of them. Hell, most failing ones don't even do this. Only Vince, really.

It'd be like if the writers of Game of Thrones suddenly made the show a romantic comedy because "fantasy is for losers!"

Great and interesting post. Everything about Vince today tells me more about his love for corporatism than it does for wrestling per se. That he does stay on top of things on everything wrestling related comes more from a need to remain competitive and nothing more. I wonder if the bumps in the road we see today are because the man calling the shots has lost his passion for the product he's selling. Time will tell.

I'm curious how long it goes on for. No heir to the throne, as it were, is going to have an inherent love for the wrestling business specifically because they were born into it.

Don't Breathe is pretty much the opposite of the other two, which are slower and more about the atmosphere/paranoia than anything else. Whereas Don't Breathe is just a nonstop roller coaster of being bummed out, haha

Give em a shot if you're curious, they're well regarded by critics but like anything else, the people that don't like them really don't like them. Haha

Great and interesting post. Everything about Vince today tells me more about his love for corporatism than it does for wrestling per se. That he does stay on top of things on everything wrestling related comes more from a need to remain competitive and nothing more. I wonder if the bumps in the road we see today are because the man calling the shots has lost his passion for the product he's selling. Time will tell.

I'm curious how long it goes on for. No heir to the throne, as it were, is going to have an inherent love for the wrestling business specifically because they were born into it.

Hasn't Vince always operated under "What vince thinks is right, not the fans"? Wasn't his Dad and the rest of the NWA against everything he was trying to do?

Foggy

At the end of the day, jump scares are a small, inessential part of horror.

But horror movies definitely demand the strongest level of personal engagement than other genres. Some people just don't respond strongly.

There's also the misguided idea that horror should be scary. Just as misguided as saying comedies should make you double over with laughter or that dramas should make you cry. There's a whole spectrum of engagement.

Mahonay

Banned

I mean look at NXT. He has almost no input on their booking and the difference is extremely noticeable.

Also it felt pretty obvious when he decided to stick his dick deeper into Smackdown.

Hasn't Vince always operated under "What vince thinks is right, not the fans"? Wasn't his Dad and the rest of the NWA against everything he was trying to do?

Yes because he has always worked backwards.

Where's the money, how do I get it, what roles do my 'paid like shit contractors' play to get me there?

Another option to run a business is to create a platform where people drive the business by playing to their unique strengths. Promote that, you promoter passion, people buy in to sincerity, the money follows.

Foggy

You like horror that leaves you unsettled? Then boy do I have a movie for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs_(2008_film)

The first half of Martyrs is pretty damn close to a perfect film. The second half snakes its way up its own butthole and flails around in self-impressed adoration. But I'll stop there, I don't want Pikma-kun to chastise me again.

Does "Get Out" count as a horror movie? I thought that was great.
Depends on who you ask. Personally I think it's a horror-adjacent thriller than a horror film, much in the same vein that Twilight Zone isn't horror but skirts around the periphery.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guess the budget cuts haven't hit the movie trailer voice guy voicing their "previously on Smackdown" segment.

Beefy

At the end of the day, jump scares are a small, inessential part of horror.

But horror movies definitely demand the strongest level of personal engagement than other genres. Some people just don't respond strongly.

There's also the misguided idea that horror should be scary. Just as misguided as saying comedies should make you double over with laughter or that dramas should make you cry. There's a whole spectrum of engagement.

Get Out was dope. I think it's just in a lot of Horror movies they have shit actors or have characters that are dumb as shit.

I hope Smackdown Live keeps up the momentum of last week's episode.

The introduction so far makes it feel very important.

Guess AJ vs Owens is now.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Has Owens lost weight? His gut looks a lot less protruding than it's usually been since he got called up.

I love how WWE's reaction to the Network underperforming isn't to look and say "wow, maybe it's because our product sucks and we need to change things", but instead it's "well if we just cancel everything then we'll make money anyways, so who cares!"

I get that WWE Network isn't up to how they wanted it, but isn't it like one of the top 5 streaming services available? Like up there with HBOGo & Crunchyroll? It seems to me like they're doing good for themselves, they just had way overinflated expectations.

Does "Get Out" count as a horror movie? I thought that was great.
I'd say more of a thriller. Fucking incredible movie, easily the best experience I've head in a theater since The Avengers.

Top Bottom