• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Sephzilla

I am amazed that people like Godzilla. I say this completely out of ignorance. I know nothing about it, except for the monster smashing buildings or whatever. Why is it a series? What happens that's worthwhile? I'm confused.

The original 1954 movie is a legitimately good movie and commentary on the fears of the Atomic Bomb. And the monster itself is basically a force of nature that can't really be stopped by man*. Subsequent sequels lost a bit of that dark commentary and turned it into a series where Godzilla fights other monsters. Those movies get cheesy but there's a few legitimately entertaining flicks in the franchise and a lot of the movies are FnP. The 2016 reboot basically took the original concept and updated it to be a commentary on the Fukushima disaster from 2011.

* The twist is that in order to destroy Godzilla
you have to introduce something even worse to the world

klonere

Banned
Goto is going through the motions so fucking hard.

He needs to go away for an excursion and come back with something completely different because my god do I not give a fuck about any of his matches right now. He's almost a "do not watch" tier wrestler by now.

Heroman

Banned
I don't want to sound hyperbolic but i think Shin Godzilla has a case for being one of the best remakes ever. It took the original concept of Godzilla, updated things for the modern age, changed the monster's origin, and yet still preserved the core concept of Godzilla while also heavily side-eyeing the Japanese government.
Shin Godzilla isn't a really remake of the original flim, all they share in common is Godzilla.

Zach

Zach, is your twitch name based on that 50 cent game?

Haha, I wish.

Bob_Dylan_-_Blood_on_the_Tracks.jpg

I am amazed that people like Godzilla. I say this completely out of ignorance. I know nothing about it, except for the monster smashing buildings or whatever. Why is it a series? What happens that's worthwhile? I'm confused.

There's also scope and scale to these movies to go with the underlying darkness. Yeah, you might think of it as cheesy man in rubber suit bashing cardboard buildings on a soundstage, but ther is a beauty to the imagination needed to depict something of that scale through practical effects.

Zach

Ok, that makes more sense. I don't think anyone actually likes that game enough to base anything off it, other than 50 cent.

I thought people did like that game. Like, it was surprisingly fun...?

There's also scope and scale to these movies to go with the underlying darkness. Yeah, you might think of it as cheesy man in rubber suit bashing cardboard buildings on a soundstage, but ther is a beauty to the imagination needed to depict something of that scale through practical effects.

I think one must have an inkling of interest before being capable of suspending disbelief and/or unleashing the true power of IMAGINATION. So it probably ain't happening for me.

Egg0

Banned
I thought people did like that game. Like, it was surprisingly fun...?

Better than his first game, but it was a mediocre Gears clone where all the bosses were helicopters.

But yea, I guess it was better than people expected it to be.

You should watch Kong.

That movie is amazing.

As in the latest one Skull Island? watched it with a friend on the weekend and it was legit, Kong is one heck of a hoss.

Gargantuan beast brawling motivated me to check if Attack on Titan's second season could improve on the middling first, i'm now three eps from finishing that and it's been an improvement, there were even shoot submission holds.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
even if its a watered down version we get in the WWE, Broken Hardys should at least give people (and by people I mean people going to the shows, not us bitter motherfuckers) something to chant along to, especially since they keep taking shit away people actually like (like Enzo and Cass for example) for no good reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman's theme needs the lyrics. So we can know he's not the bassist for Metallica.

Goto is going through the motions so fucking hard.

He needs to go away for an excursion and come back with something completely different because my god do I not give a fuck about any of his matches right now. He's almost a "do not watch" tier wrestler by now.

Yes, Naito describes Goto perfect in his interview:

"Next up, on August 1st in Kagoshima, you face Hirooki Goto.

Naito ‘The thing about him is once upon a time here was a guy people were saying was like one of the Four Heavenly Kings (of All Japan’s golden age) and now somehow he’s in CHAOS, and I have to wonder, is he in any way happy? He’s a disappointment. Man, I don’t know. Maybe he’ll get fired up. Paint himself white again or something.’

–Would you be more motivated against him if he did?

Naito ‘No, in motivated either way. It’s all good fun either way. Two years ago when I faced him, in my mind, he just at some point lost all sense of presence. He’s not even worth talking about. I’m more interested in talking about Kagoshima itself. I like that place. The arena’s a beautiful building. The building is more interesting than Goto is.’"

https://www.njpw1972.com/12518

He and Yoshi are the two wrestlers that bored me in the G1.

Dave last week said he thinks Nakamura will go all out against Cena. Said he thinks Cena and AJ are two of the only guys Nakamura would be motivated against.

Hope he's right.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Seth Rollins song should open with his awful laughter.

Or they could just sub in the laughter from the laugh bag at the end of Burton's Batman, it's indistinguishable.

Yes, Naito describes Goto perfect in his interview:

"Next up, on August 1st in Kagoshima, you face Hirooki Goto.

Naito ‘The thing about him is once upon a time here was a guy people were saying was like one of the Four Heavenly Kings (of All Japan’s golden age) and now somehow he’s in CHAOS, and I have to wonder, is he in any way happy? He’s a disappointment. Man, I don’t know. Maybe he’ll get fired up. Paint himself white again or something.’

–Would you be more motivated against him if he did?

Naito ‘No, in motivated either way. It’s all good fun either way. Two years ago when I faced him, in my mind, he just at some point lost all sense of presence. He’s not even worth talking about. I’m more interested in talking about Kagoshima itself. I like that place. The arena’s a beautiful building. The building is more interesting than Goto is.’"

https://www.njpw1972.com/12518

He and Yoshi are the two wrestlers that bored me in the G1.

Goto is great... Don't sully him by associating him with Yoshi-TRASHI

Top Bottom