• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

gun_haver

Heels and face can obviously work in many situations, but yeah with the way modern WWE does heels it is basically a guy who never does anything wrong vs a guy who obviously sucks and cheats in every match in the same predictable ways. Every heel and every face are all basically the same character. There's no variation either in the story of the promos, or the matches. There will be a guy who never cheats, and a guy who always cheats. The only ones with clear personality are the few remaining remnants, like Jericho or Brock. Cena barely counts, he stands out but mainly because he is the progenitor of this.

Sephzilla

In hindsight, Vince booking one of the most ill advised heel turns of all time immediately after the death of WCW should have been a gigantic red flag about the future of the company now that they had no competition

I like the Hulkamania/New Gen style where both the heels and faces didn't take any shit from anybody, heels were just cocky assholes who cheated, and the managers were the cowardly bitch heels.

Syder

DGL1fHhUAAANq9E

This is amazing
Holy shit, guess we know what segment of the year is. They even had a parody of Laura Palmer's Theme.

Zach

Austin's heel turn at WM17 ruins that feud and ruins WM17 for me.

Actually I think the Rock/Austin WM17 feud in general could have been better. There was also the whole shoehorning Debra into it part

What a bad feud with a bad wrestler and a past-his-prime domestic abuser. And Debra's cookies. And that crummy Limp Bizkit video. Jesus! Absolute trash.

: )

Not with his current gimmick.

Does what he has qualify as a gimmick?

I guess his gimmick is being Kurt Angle's son.

As has been said he has the look and can work in the ring but he just needs to find his voice. I didn't even think he was that bad on the mic in the latter half of The Miz TV segment on Monday. If he's going to find his voice it has to be working with both Miz and Angle, two of the best on the mic. I have a lot of confidence that the guy can do it.

Mahonay

Banned
Does what he has qualify as a gimmick?

I guess his gimmick is being Kurt Angle's son.

As has been said he has the look and can work in the ring but he just needs to find his voice. I didn't even think he was that bad on the mic in the latter half of The Miz TV segment on Monday. If he's going to find his voice it has to be working with both Miz and Angle, two of the best on the mic. I have a lot of confidence that the guy can do it.
But who is Jason Jordon as a character? Other than being Kurt's illegitimate son now.

Sephzilla

Lets put Jason Jordan through the RedLetterMedia filter.

Describe Jason Jordan in a way that doesn't include his physical appearance or being Kurt Angle's son.

But who is Jason Jordon as a character? Other than being Kurt's illegitimate son now.

That's the problem at this point. I don't think it's an insurmountable roadblock though. They are probably playing the long game with Angle as his dad and I think his character will emerge at some point during that. In the meantime I like watching the guy work in the ring.

Lets put Jason Jordan through the RedLetterMedia filter.

Describe Jason Jordan in a way that doesn't include his physical appearance or being Kurt Angle's son.

It's too soon for that. This is the first act of a much larger story. If we reach the end and all we can see about him is those two things then I get you. In the meantime I am willing to let this play out and I have a feeling they will make it work.

RAW and Smackdown both had pretty good matches announced going in. I am kinda miffed because they didn't save anything meaty for the Toronto events next week.

The Kurt storyline is fucking dumb.

It's a nepotism story that has the potential to work. Especially with The Miz more than willing to call it out each work. When that dries up they can go the "he's not my real father route" and eventually bring Gable in for a feud if they want.

At a base level it's Carny as fuck but nothing below WWE standards.

Mahonay

Banned
There needs to be more dumb storylines tbh.
'It's better than nothing" is a pretty low bar. But it is WWE I guess.

Yes, it's better than WWE's typical middle-of-the-road nothingness that nearly every storyline is plagued with.

It's still hilariously dumb.

Beefy

It's really nice that the WWE investing time into the people of color on their roster.

Shame one is only cus he has a white dad. Basically black dude with a white authority figure, not hyped for that shit. Another is cus "he hates America". Only Nak (atm) is decentish

Top Bottom