• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Shame it's only cus he has a white dad. Basically black dude with a white authority figure, not hyped for that shit.

I think putting Jordan with Angle and The Miz is showing a lot of faith in Jordan. As the story progresses they need to deal with the fact that Angle might be using him though. At some point Angle vs. Jordan either directly or with a stand in for Angle in the ring.

'It's better than nothing" is a pretty low bar. But it is WWE I guess.

Yes, it's better than WWE's typical middle-of-the-road nothingness that nearly every storyline is plagued with.

It's still hilariously dumb.
Dumb can be entertaining.
Shame it's only cus he has a white dad. Basically black dude with a white authority figure, not hyped for that shit.
Jason's mom is white, right? Even if she isn't, he kinda looks like Kurt. Kurt plays an authority figure for the company...Not in Jason's life. I don't see the issue.

Egg0

Banned
Nakamura's new face of America gimmick is the kind of dumb I can get behind. I'm just thankful he didn't end up as Tensai.

Guzim

Nakamura will win at Summerslam via count-out and the entire roster will come out to celebrate as Stars and Stripes Forever plays.

Beefy

I think putting Jordan with Angle and The Miz is showing a lot of faith in Jordan. As the story progresses they need to deal with the fact that Angle might be using him though. At some point Angle vs. Jordan either directly or with a stand in for Angle in the ring.

Jason's mom is white, right? Even if she isn't, he kinda looks like Kurt. Kurt plays an authority figure for the company...Not in Jason's life. I don't see the issue.

It's basically he is only making it as he has a famous white dad. So instead of him making it (or being hyped) on his own he is only making cus of Angle. It a thing that is used way too much for PoC.

It's basically black man can't make it with out a white dudes help. That shit aint liked by many in the black community

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I bet the cats at Paramount peed a little bit when Cena got dropped on his head last night :(

Paul Heyman announces that if Brock loses at SummerSlam, both he and Lesnar will leave WWE.

006_RAW_07312017dg_0152--23812f2c0e65ec92fb6669a4bcbac4cf.jpg

This adds a nice little wrinkle to the main event but let's be honest, we all know what the main draw is:

How many Germans Reigns, Strowman, and Joe will each take.

I'm going to wager that Roman will take the most Germans for two reasons:

1.) He's easier to lift than Strowman

2.) It's easier to wrap your arms around him than Samoa Joe

I'm just gonna throw some numbers out off the top of my head and say

Roman Reigns - 8 Germans

Samoa Joe - 5 Germans

Braun Strowman- 3 Germans

It's basically he is only making it as he has a famous white dad. So instead of him making it (or being hyped) on his own he is only making cus of Angle. It a thing that is used way too much for PoC.

It's basically black man can't make it with out a white dudes help. That shit aint liked in the black community
gCkbsSs.png

This is nonsense. It's not that fucking deep, dude.

It's basically black man can't make it with out a white dudes help. That shit aint liked in the black community

That's fair. I didn't see it that way. Part of wrestling tends to be putting people in positions to succeed with veterans when you want to give them a push. I see your point though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on Cena from backstage last night btw?

It's basically black man can't make it with out a white dudes help. That shit aint liked by many in the black community

Jason Jordan needs all the character development he can get. Dude has no personality.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think you're reading too much into it; particularly given that 100% of the audience that cares about that kind of thing knows that wrestling is fake and its all just a device to push Jason Jordan. If they were going out of their way to be racist they wouldn't push Jason Jordan at all.

any word on Cena from backstage last night btw?

John Cena is orders of magnitude more famous than anyone else in the locker-room. If he was seriously hurt at all there would be a million reports; Meltzer would literally be doing update specials on his condition, etc.

Beefy

I think you're reading too much into it; particularly given that 100% of the audience that cares about that kind of thing knows that wrestling is fake and its all just a device to push Jason Jordan. If they were going out of their way to be racist they wouldn't push Jason Jordan at all.

It's not exactly racist, it is a trope/ plot device that is used a lot for PoC.

He shouldn't be getting a push at all tbf. Vince just likes his body.

He's a good looking guy with a good skill set in the ring. He's lacking on the mic but that can hopefully be fixed. They are being a bit bold with him but I think he's deserving of a push. I think Gable needs a good one too on Smackdown.

They should have run with an on show segment between Bryan and Gable doing the whole "he's my son" thing while mocking RAW.

1. It builds up the rivalry between RAW and Smackdown Live
2. It lets Gable say what he feels about it on air and he should be a little pissed that his partner dumped him at the drop of a hat to be with his daddy.

And that's actually Beefy's suggestion lol. Insane.

Rhaknar

John Cena is orders of magnitude more famous than anyone else in the locker-room. If he was seriously hurt at all there would be a million reports; Meltzer would literally be doing update specials on his condition, etc.

that's why I'm asking Grimace :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not exactly racist, it is a trope/ plot device that is used a lot for PoC.

It mostly felt to me like they just though they could get away with the, erm, angle because he looks a bit like Angle and because Jordan is half-white.

that's why I'm asking Grimace :p

If it was bad enough that they didn't even know someone would have reported it to a dirtsheet or Meltzer by now. I think it was one of those bumps that looks nasty but he just tucked and rolled.

FWIW I think that botch was on both guys, just a lack of communication about what move was going to happen there. That can happen in any match in any fed and I highly doubt that either of them are getting heat for it. Botching gutwrench exploder isn't the same thing as "intentionally doing a piledriver on Raw."

Draxal

You have the weirdest talent level ratings.

For someone who loves NJPW you rate far too many people on IWGP Heavyweight Championship level.

To be fair, a lot of people think that Gable is amazingly talented as a wrestler. Meltzer said so, and AJ did a fluff piece about him.

Angry Grimace

He the most talented wreslter NXT has produce.

For me that's going to be Charlotte Flair because Gable hasn't been given enough to do for me to agree with it.

This is a weird situation where Gable and Jordan are getting more spotlight as singles on the main roster than they have ever gotten before being split up (and not in a feud with each other, for once).

Syder

Also, I'm generally against pushing someone if the talent isn't worthy, both in-ring and character-wise, because I feel like it could lead to people getting fatigued on pushing them for the sake of it.

Especially, when you have great black talent like Big E and Woods just sat there in a stale tag team.

Angry Grimace

Also, I'm generally against pushing someone if the talent isn't worthy, both in-ring and character-wise, because I feel like it could lead to people getting fatigued on pushing them for the sake of it.

Especially, when you have great black talent like Big E and Woods just sat there in a stale tag team.

They're the tag champs and a total merch machine. Giving Big E a title run is one of those things I thought was just a joke because he's not great in the ring and he was nothing special at all until the New Day came out and gave him a platform for being a comedy guy.

New Day needs a heel turn. I don't think much good will come of splitting them up. They work so well together.

The Raw Tag Team Division sure is stacked isn't it?

You have The Hardy Boyz, Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson, The Revival, Sheamus & Cesaro, and a potential Shield reunion with Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose.

I think emphasizing Tag Teams (along with splitting the roster between two shows) is a smart and efficient way to get more Superstars more TV time.

Take the match between The Hardys and Gallows & Anderson w/ Revival on commentary. You have 6 Superstars on TV, given ample time to shine in the ring, on the mic, and they even throw in a little free-for-all hardcore brawl at the end for good measure. All within the span of a few minutes.

Syder

They're the tag champs and a total merch machine.
I get that but they were singles wrestlers with great talent at one point and TND won't last forever. I'm not saying it has to be now but at some point.

With all the great black talent out there, within WWE and outside it, there's no reason why there can't be a super-talented, super-over, face WWE Champion.

New Day needs a heel turn. I don't think much good will come of splitting them up. They work so well together.
TND has shown me that Big E and Woods are good enough in the ring and on the mic to be successful singles wrestlers.

Angry Grimace

Is "who cares if it's regressive, at least he's getting a push" a stance worth having in 2017?

I don't know, let's ask the strawman who gave that opinion for his thoughts on it.

I get that but they were singles wrestlers with great talent at one point and TND won't last forever. I'm not saying it has to be now but at some point.

With all the great black talent out there, within WWE and outside it, there's no reason why there can't be a super-talented, super-over, face WWE Champion.

Giving Big E a title run is one of those things I thought was just a wrestling in-joke because he's not great in the ring and he was nothing special at all until the New Day came out and gave him a platform for being a comedy guy.

Angry Grimace

I am just saying it is a lazy ass trope, which cancels out them pushing a PoC for me.

I just can't buy the argument that it represents some an inappropriate racial trope when in reality they probably just want to push Jason Jordan because he's handsome, tall and buff. Honestly, this sounds a lot more like your complaint is unfortunate implications rather than actually abusing a dead-horse trope.

Top Bottom