• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Today I realized Hey Arnold apparently has/had a huge following despite it never seeming to be that popular when it was on. Has 90's nostalgia gone too far? I don't know. Subscribe to my newsletter.

I didn't realise it was popular until I saw it praised numerous times on GAF.
Not knocking it, just was never something big among me and my friends with it mostly remembered for the opening
Genuinely I think it had too much actual heart and stuff and not nearly enough silly for younger me to invest in, my memory of it is mainly on a plane back from the states where me and my brother watched an epsiode about that Oscar guy being inept at everything, I just didn't get it.

Now Ed, Edd and Eddy, despite enjoying it at the time, the love for that one escapes me.
Data West gonna cut a promo on me if I stick around.

Today I realized Hey Arnold apparently has/had a huge following despite it never seeming to be that popular when it was on. Has 90's nostalgia gone too far? I don't know. Subscribe to my newsletter.
Rugrats, Doug, and Hey Arnold were the three biggest/longest running from that era

If you were a 90's Kid you would've known that, only 90's Kids will remember that

Sephzilla

Hey Arnold was extremely popular

I've always loved it. Damn good show.

I didn't realise it was popular until I saw it praised numerous times on GAF.
Not knocking it, just was never something big among me and my friends with it mostly remembered for the opening
Genuinely I think it had too much actual heart and stuff and not nearly enough silly for younger me to invest in, my memory of it is mainly on a plane back from the states where me and my brother watched an epsiode about that Oscar guy being inept at everything, I just didn't get it.

Now Ed, Edd and Eddy, despite enjoying it at the time, the love for that one escapes me.
Data West gonna cut a promo on me if I stick around.

Maybe there was a slight generational gap or something because that show didn't click with me the same way shit like Rocko or Doug did.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watched Rocko and Doug. Hey Arnold was just a much better made show than Doug. Doug was a manic, crazed dream masquerading the occasional teen problems theme but never making them feel like they had any serious weight.

Hey Arnold had an established cast of characters that all had backstory and connection which you never saw in kids cartoons. A cartoon that had such a strong cast that they could make episodes entirely about C-list characters like Nadine and still go over well. Rocko was a completely different show. Hey Arnold's closest counterpart would be that they were akin to a modern day Peanuts.

Mizerman

Hey Arnold was pretty popular around that time.

Kurita

One of my favorite cartoons growing up!
Though my top two shows were two French cartoons called Oggy et les Cafards as well as Les Zinzins de l'Espace.
Dunno if they even existed outside of France but man, absolute gems. Les Zinzins de l'Espace got a point and click adaptation called Stupid Invaders I think.

Menome

Now we've ascertained that everybody knows what Hey Arnold! is, we have to ask the important question:

What would it take for Helga to finally put Arnold over?

One of my favorite cartoons growing up!
Though my top two shows were two French cartoons called Oggy et les Cafards as well as Les Zinzins de l'Espace.
Dunno if they even existed outside of France but man, absolute gems. Les Zinzins de l'Espace got a point and click adaptation called Stupid Invaders I think.

the Oggy one being Oggy and the Cockroaches I guess? because that aired in England.
Not that I watched it much.

I was all about that Dexter's Lab, fun and playful.

It was always popular. Robocop fans just don't actually know what passes for popularity, but that's ok. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
the Oggy one being Oggy and the Cockroaches I guess? because that aired in England.
Not that I watched it much.

I was all about that Dexter's Lab, fun and playful.

My dad loved the dad in Dexter's Lab. Especially in the pool episode. He rarely ever watched cartoons with me so I always remember that.

Doug
jFQx19D.gif

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So next three wrestlers returning are
Curt Hawkins, Victoria, and Jinder Mahal
? Sure. WWE needs more "vets" to put over new talents. I see Victoria gone by end of the year. Mahal could turn a corner and maybe stick around for 2-3 years if he finds a role. Hawkins will be tied to Ryder, most likely. Let them tag and give Ryder someone that isn't Mojo to work with.

My dad loved the dad in Dexter's Lab. Especially in the pool episode. He rarely ever watched cartoons with me so I always remember that.
Dexter's Dad was secretly the best character.

This reminds me, the only cartoons my dad could abide...
- Tom and Jerry (of course)
- Johnny Bravo Season 1

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't really understand why they're bringing back all of these guys nobody cared about to begin with.

I'm not even being facetious in saying I would rather see James Ellsworth than Jindal Mahal.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I don't really understand why they're bringing back all of these guys nobody cared about to begin with.

I'm not even being facetious in saying I would rather see James Ellsworth than Jindal Mahal.

Mahal is only 30, 6'5", and brings diversity to a roster full of white dudes. I don't imagine he will be anywhere near the top of the card or even high midcard, but people can only watch Zayn vs. Owens so many times until they have seen it all. Plus, we have forum funny guys who love to say things such as: "Kane in 2016? Mark Henry in 2016? Dolph Ziggler in 2016? Big Show in 2016? Shelton Benjamin in 2016?" etc, so why not throw in another to "Jinder Mahal in 2016" to continue the overuse of a dead meme.

As for Hawkins -- I imagine he's going to be inserted back into Ryder's storylines. Hawkins is only 31 and WWE is in need of more tag-teams after the division was split into two. Same applies to Victori and the women's division. Seeing Carmella and Alexa fight on Smackdown 4x a month for half a year is going to get tiresome, so bringing in vets to help put over the younger wrestlers is beneficial for everyone. Common wrestling math.

Exodust

Banned
I guess also ask this, do you really want Owens/Zayn getting main event pushes as WWE goes into their dead part of the year where everyone watches the NFL instead?

If it means my boys being champs, than so be it.

Zayn, an arab WWE champ. That shit bring a tear to my eye.

I love Hey Arnold. It's my favorite Nick cartoon by far as I related to it heavily. Grew up in what was essentially a boarding house. Went back to it over the years and it holds up magnificently.

This guy is on a way different level of weeb than Xavier is

bv0SUam.png

You know this guy owns at least one anime boob mouse pad and a Vita.

Vince must be divided right now. On the one hand, he's big and tall. On the other, he's a max level weeaboo. A fucking anime body pillow?

Team this guy with Itami and/or set up him with an Asuka's stalker gimmick immediately.

I remember that video but I think I saw in a documentary or something. This was a thing in France IIRC for a while.
You know this guy owns at least one anime boob mouse pad and a Vita.

Vince must be divided right now. On the one hand, he's big and tall. On the other, he's a max level weeaboo. A fucking anime body pillow?

Team this guy with Itami and/or set up him with an Asuka's stalker gimmick immediately.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Top Bottom