• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

The presentation in 2k14 looks a little better. At least everybody have entrance attires now. It also looks like the have video filters for older matches.

Am I wrong in thinking that people really are making a huge deal about Darren Young coming out? Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely happy for him and glad that the 'E is handling this much better than I ever anticipated (for now). But like that article on the previous page shows, people are more than willing to latch onto the issue and try to prop it up as something SUPER DUPER important. I'm not in the "non-story" camp like Meltzer, but...I dunno, I don't really know how to articulate myself right now about this, so I hope someone gets what I'm trying to say.

I think it's because I'm getting flashbacks to the whole Persona 4/Kanji thing and how people felt that Atlus "chickened out" regarding his character/shadow's story. People made an equally large fuss about it, and I can't help but think about it again after seeing some of the reactions regarding Darren Young coming out.

I think I get what you're saying, but in my opinion, things don't seem to be going that way. I don't think anyone who supports Darren Young coming out would be outraged if he or the WWE just let him be himself and wrestled the way he always has, instead of using this as an opportunity for a company-wide teaching moment. Disappointed, maybe, but but not outraged.

I suspect that some people would actually dread that because WWE is pretty hamfisted at handling teaching moments, but that's besides the point.

I also think it's a little early to call it either way. The story just broke a few days ago, and there hasn't been any notable fallout, dumbass YouTube videos notwithstanding; the significance of it has been acknowledged, but there's really not much to react to.

Goldberg's entrance starts from his dressing room :eek:

Nice.

GWF is gonna be off the tank in 2k14 with so many new entrances.

NICE.

Bloodwake

I am glad that Goldberg's dressing room entrance is in the game. That entrance in its prime was the most entertaining thing about Goldberg. it sure wasn't his promos or wrestling.

Kaladin

I'm in the planning stages of conceptualizing a successor (or competitor ) to GWF which will use 2k15. How much planning have I done? I just know I'm going to do it...and it will be awesome. Why am I waiting till 2k15? Easy...video game streaming as part of the PS4 system....no extra components to buy. If only the PS4 were backwards compatible, I could do it sooner.

Kaladin

01_AXX_08172013ej_0091.jpg

Reigns looks like the most likeable of the bunch.

He just has the look of a star I think and is pretty serviceable in the ring, working with the other two with limited in ring time is a perfect start for him, handled well he could go far

Also this will be mentioned millions of time before but I want to follow some wrestle gaffers on twitter so lemme know your names

I'm @tommarsland but talk a lot of shite about football (soccer)

strobogo

Banned
wcw1998.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 6/11/98

The go home show for the Great American Bash. nWo Hollywood and a bunch of YAKS are sitting at the edge of the ramp on a car. The WCW Public Relations department were supposed to make a big announcement on Thunder, but it has been postponed, in part due to the controversy of Dennis Rodman's actions on Nitro. We're then shown those very actions.

Bischoff cuts the announcers off to ramble. Giant talks about killing Sting and picking a new partner for the tag titles after. He's going to pick The Disciple. Lol. Brutus Beefcake is who you choose? Well, he might actually have been the best choice. Buff was hurt, Norton was in Japan, Bret isn't a real member, Hogan is Hogan. So the real options were Crush, Virgil, or Beefcake.

Riggs vs Dean Malenko WCW Cruiserweight Championship

I don't think this is a title match. I would imagine Riggs to be quite a bit over the weight limit. But then the ref held the title up as if it were a title match, so I guess it is one. Dean goes to the ground quite early and controls the pace. Riggs comes back with a leg lariat and goes to work on Dean's arm. Dean almost wins with a sunset flip, but then gets cut off with a lariat. Dean almost gets the Cloverleaf on. Riggs goes up top and after a really awkward spot of Dean repeatedly shaking the ropes and Riggs just not reacting, he finally falls leg first. Cloverleaf for the win.

iZ66VQPqK7KCP.gif

Goldberg hype video airs.

Chris Jericho comes to the ramp to talk about himself. He wants JJ to come out and give him his belt back. He won't leave until he gets his belt back. But then they cut to commercial and he's gone when they get back.

Kidman vs Juventud Guerrera

No one told me they were having a best of 7 series, too. The nWo head to the back. At this point, I'd rather watch them than see this match again. These guys are both good, obviously, but fuck, it feels like they have a match every god damn show. How many times can I call this match? And there will be more once Kidman turns face. Juvi wins with the 450.

iDbKnx0YLYXn1.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. He brings out Lex Luger. Goody. He sounds even lamer than Hogan using all the slang. Nash can get away with it. He's from Detroit and he's cool. Lex and Hogan are stodgy white guys who are completely uncool. Lex/Savage vs Giant/Disciple tonight. Fucking gross.

Bischoff and Bret come to the ramp. If Lex is the recruiter for the Wolfpac, then I guess Bret is the recruiter for Hollywood. Bret wants Chris Benoit in his group.

Chris Benoit vs Booker T Best of 7 Final Match

The winner of this faces Finlay on Sunday. Stevie Ray comes out with Book. Book sends him to the back. I believe this match and Juvi/Kidman have accounted for 80% of TV matches in 1998. The focus of this match is mostly on Booker's knee. Benoit did a pretty nifty Muta lock/surfboard combo. Bret Hart Waffle Norton'd Book with a chair. Benoit stops the count and tells Nick Patrick what happened. Booker T wins via disqualification.

i4bxhtlMM5szh.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. Tony is out with JJ and Dean Malenko. Dean voluntarily relinquishes his title so he can get another match with Jericho at the GAB. Jericho comes out to get his belt back. JJ lets him know that he's goign to have to face Dean Malenko if he wants to get it back. He throws a fit. Then his DAD comes out to tell him to stop being a fucking bitch all the time.

icc202Q38z2Lx.gif

ibsAaEeGVwsS18.gif

Konnan vs Scott Putski

Lol.

Saturn vs Glacier

They should just rename Thunder to WCW Rematch. Saturn wins with the DVD. This match featured the greatest spot of any Saturn match ever. I don't want to spoil it. You'll just have to look at the gif. Raven gets in the ring with his guards and calls Kanyon out again. He fires the riot squad. Raven and Saturn then attack. One of them was Mortis. Lol, he did it again! Flatliner and then he throws his mask off. He bails while the Flock stand around looking like idiots.

i0LjC5YWKZIhf.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. He's with JJ again. He reviewed the tape of the Benoit/Booker match. Booker and Stevie come out. Booker doesn't want to win the series that way and would like one more match. JJ agrees and throws the match out. Booker vs Benoit will have one more match at the GAB with the winner facing Finlay later in the show. Stevie is having a CONNIPTION FIT over this and why Booker would agree to it.

Bischoff and Liz come out to talk. Oh, Liz cutting a promo on Randy. Just what the world was waiting for. This then leads into a recap of the long segment of middle aged men bitching at each other from Nitro.

Lex Luger/Randy Savage vs The Giant/The Disciple

I can't believe Brutus Beefcake is main eventing a show in 1998. The hottest point in the history of the business, and Brutus Beefcake is main eventing a show from the biggest wrestling company in the world at that point. No wonder WCW died. Luckily, there are only about 3 minutes left in the show once the entrances are done. Bischoff baits Savage to the limo, where Bret and Hogan attack him. The match is then thrown out. Nash comes out to save Savage. Giant runs to the limo to fight with him. WE'RE OUTTA TIME, TUNE IN TO THE PPV!

The announced card for the Great 'Murican Bash:

Hollywood Hogan/Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper/Randy Savage
Randy Savage vs Roddy Piper
The Giant vs Sting WCW Tag Team Championships
Booker T vs Chris Benoit
Winner of Benoit/Booker vs Fit Finlay WCW TV Championship
Goldberg vs Konnan WCW US Championship
Reese vs Juventud Guererra
Kanyon vs Saturn
Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Eddie Guerrero
Dean Malenko vs Chris Jericho WCW Cruiserweight Championship

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
NASCAR's popularity has been on a decline ever since WCW Motorsports went under

Speed Network started when NASCAR was popular. Now that it's not, Fox bought the channel and turned it from 24/7 cars to a channel that airs 6 hour long UFC fights which turns jaded wrestling fans into MMA fans. Those former wrestling fans stop watching WWE cause it's not real. WWE loses business and has to bring back washed up wrestlers like The Rock back just to get people to watch.

Vince killed WWE by ending WCW Motorsports.

FUUUUU JBL called Christian a rat on Smackdown

Vince knows!

JustinBB7

Watching Impact now. I'm always surprised how much content they put into the shows. Constant flow of matches and promos/interviews. Live crowd is really good this week so far (and has been good for a while).

Ladder match was really good. I love bad influence.

Edit: Bully is so great on the mic, definitely in my fav 5 for ages.

Classic Match of the Day:

Jumbo Tsuruta (c) vs Stan Hansen (c) - AWA World & NWA International Titles - (AJPW 07/31/86)

Interesting match-up here as the NWA International Heavyweight Champion Jumbo Tsuruta takes on the AWA World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen. This will never be regarded as the best Jumbo/Hansen encounter, but it's a good match and very atypical for a Hansen match. Their match earlier in the month was much more par for the course, with Hansen bloodying Jumbo and brawling through the crowd to a double count-out draw, but it seems as if Jumbo's had his fill of that style here, as he goes straight to work on Hansen's lariat arm, hauling the big man around with ease. Hansen isn't down for long though, but the arm's bothering him and Jumbo keeps gaining the upper hand. Hansen sells the arm perfectly as he struggles to mount any of his big offence and it's really cool to see him in this role, while Jumbo's as great as always.

Jumbo makes throwing a guy like Stan Hansen around look easy;

ibfUXVyB6LsLKR.gif

strobogo

Banned
Classic Match of the Day:

Jumbo Tsuruta (c) vs Stan Hansen (c) - AWA World & NWA International Titles - (AJPW 07/31/86)

Interesting match-up here as the NWA International Heavyweight Champion Jumbo Tsuruta takes on the AWA World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen. This will never be regarded as the best Jumbo/Hansen encounter, but it's a good match and very atypical for a Hansen match. Their match earlier in the month was much more par for the course, with Hansen bloodying Jumbo and brawling through the crowd to a double count-out draw, but it seems as if Jumbo's had his fill of that style here, as he goes straight to work on Hansen's lariat arm, hauling the big man around with ease. Hansen isn't down for long though, but the arm's bothering him and Jumbo keeps gaining the upper hand. Hansen sells the arm perfectly as he struggles to mount any of his big offence and it's really cool to see him in this role, while Jumbo's as great as always.

Jumbo makes throwing a guy like Stan Hansen around look easy;

ibfUXVyB6LsLKR.gif

Jumbo might be in my all time Fave Five. He was truly amazing. He was the perfect synthesis between the Japanese and old school NWA/Texas styles. I think it is pretty reasonable he could have kept going at a very high level into his early 50s and have been a grumpy Tenryu styled guy, just beating the PISS out of the AJPW rookies who would become stars of NOAH had it not been for his illness.

Top Bottom