• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Kaladin

I am ok with this,
though CM Punk is elevating the wrong championship IMO.

Also, remember when guys like Randy Orton feuded with the IC Champ, and they didn't fight for the title because Orton was above that?

Just went to the Hogan (and Bischoff) Uncensored event at Fan Expo in Toronto last night. So good lots of little tidbits about Hogan like he explained the jet ski accident that caused his fractured orbital bone at Wrestlemania 9.
The best bit was he came out and said "They always say I never put anyone over, I JUST JOBBED TO YOUR MAYOR!".
Lots of marks in the crowd my favorite answer from Hulkster was to the question "who are the 5 strongest guys you fought in the ring?" Hogan goes "IT'S A WORK BROTHERRRR!"
Anyone else go to this?

Ithil

Bryan Alvarez, when he read out the proposed card, seemed skeptical that
Punk vs Axel for the IC title is going to happen. Given Punk just beat the hell out of Axel with ease on RAW, and they've scheduled Punk vs Axel for this Monday's RAW, and I can't see them prolonging that confrontation for another month, I am agreeing. Both Observer fellows have speculated that WWE will end up making a new Paul Heyman Guy, maybe Ryback or Big E, or someone from NXT, that Punk will face.

That card is set up to have
0 title changes. Could set up the long term story line with the roster split between two faction. One siding with the McMahons and one against them.

DMczaf

Getting sick of Curtis Axel...

tumblr_mryk5yIIPS1ql0k28o2_500.gif

gurudyne

Love how
championships make no sense now.

RVD: Lose US championship match, get WHC shot.
Punk: WWE champion for longest reign of modern era. Slumming it in September.
Ziggler: WHC a few months back, slumming it in September.
Axel: Sweet gig--doesn't have to defend his title because no one cares.

WWE belt makes sense since they started writing around it instead of Cena. Ambrose elevated the US title to mean more than the supposedly more prestigious IC title if only because he treats it like it means something. And it's been on quality stars like Cesaro and Ambrose instead of idling on do-nothing talent like Barrett and Miz (lolonedayreign). They should just merge the two and get it over with.

Love how

Punk: WWE champion for longest reign of modern era. Slumming it in September.
Ziggler: WHC a few months back, slumming it in September.
Axel: Sweet gig--doesn't have to defend his title because no one cares.

WWE belt makes sense since they started writing around it instead of Cena. Ambrose elevated the US title to mean more than the supposedly more prestigious IC title if only because he treats it like it means something. And it's been on quality stars like Cesaro and Ambrose instead of idling on do-nothing talent like Barrett and Miz (lolonedayreign). They should just merge the two and get it over with.

That's the biggest problem with WWE right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Unless Ziggler develops some mic skills and more of a personailty than "I bump well" he'll never be more than WHC midcard level.

I love how people on the internet go "They're putting him with all these people all the time, he needs to go solo. He doesn't need them." When so very clearly he does need a mouthpiece or at least someone that limits his mic time.

I don't think he has it in him to fly solo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Time to bring back the TV Championship. Defended every single week on RAW and theres a 15 minute time limit for each match.

Don't really agree with some of those complaints though. Punk moved onto other things which were equally as important to him as the title, first with the streak and then getting his hands on Heyman + Lesnar. Thats not really the same thing as Ziggler or even Axel.

BlazinAm

I haven't posted in a long time here, don't know if putting spoilers caps is proper.

I wonder if Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton will trade the title over the next few months because that is a nice way to drain interest in Daniel Bryan a champion.

Also if the ending of summerslam was suppose to be the big event of the summer to keep people going into the fall putting the title on Daniel Bryan for three weeks doesn't make a lot of sense. Give him something big so it comes off as memorable.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Unless Ziggler develops some mic skills and more of a personailty than "I bump well" he'll never be more than WHC midcard level.

I love how people on the internet go "They're putting him with all these people all the time, he needs to go solo. He doesn't need them." When so very clearly he does need a mouthpiece or at least someone that limits his mic time.

Agreed. Make him a Paul Heyman guy. Ziggler - Punk is a lot better than Axel - Punk.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nope, Bryan is in a long feud. He'll lose the NoC match via McMahon interference, face either Orton or Trips in a HiaC match in October and there will be a classic Survivor Series match after that. He'll either win it from Orton at TLC in November, or more likely not get another shot until WrestleMania after winning from the number one spot at the Rumble which the McMahon's will put him in.

gurudyne

Time to bring back the TV Championship. Defended every single week on RAW and theres a 15 minute time limit for each match.

Don't really agree with some of those complaints though. Punk moved onto other things which were equally as important to him as the title, first with the streak and then getting his hands on Heyman + Lesnar. Thats not really the same thing as Ziggler or even Axel.

I've got no problem with where the story went, just don't
throw the title in as an afterthought. Devalues the gold moreso than having it on Axel to begin with. If it's going to be a factor, I hope they play it up as an important thing, even if it isn't the point of this particular feud.

Aiii

So not worth it
Come on, man. His character is pretty funny. He's such a jerk and his promos are great. I think you're just in the wrong state of mind for them.

There is a difference between somewhat enjoying a NXT midcarder's promo and posting his picture every page as if he is the second coming of Stone Cold every other page. Joke's older than Moses, time to move on.

Striker

Shots fired.

Really though, Ziggler has been in no-man's land since he won the WHC. Poor guy got concussed and had his momentum stalled.
He was not doing much in from February-April either. That single night after Mania he got the crowd behind him and the WHC win. So essentially outside one night, he's been sliding on the rope for majority of the year. I really don't get their booking for him. That very quick feud with Cena where he won over Cena at the TLC PPV, he spent a lot of time in the Rumble and looked good doing it, but since then? They've done nothing but the same stuff we always see.

Or! Or, you know, not let him do those awful 5-10 speaking segments. They aren't his strength. Don't do them. You didn't see them sending out Orton to talk for several minutes by himself, and that's because he's not good at it. Leave it to backstage segments or for a quick two minute counter on another wrestler.

Shinsuke Nakamua teamed with Naomichi Marufuji against KENTA & Takashi Sugiura today at Marufuji's 15th Anniversary Show - Sugiura pinned Marufuji in the end, but Nakamura hit KENTA with a Boma Ye. Would love to see a match between these two.

Nakamura's crazy-ass mask he wore to the ring;

iRNtgxjsyEXAU.jpg

Elsewhere on the show, Liger & Tiger Mask successfully defended the GHC Tag Titles against Genba & Maybach Jr, who was unmasked and revealed to be Hajime Ohara!

He was not doing much in from February-April either. That single night after Mania he got the crowd behind him and the WHC win. So essentially outside one night, he's been sliding on the rope for majority of the year. I really don't get their booking for him. That very quick feud with Cena where he won over Cena at the TLC PPV, he spent a lot of time in the Rumble and looked good doing it, but since then? They've done nothing but the same stuff we always see.

Or! Or, you know, not let him do those awful 5-10 speaking segments. They aren't his strength. Don't do them. You didn't see them sending out Orton to talk for several minutes by himself, and that's because he's not good at it. Leave it to backstage segments or for a quick two minute counter on another wrestler.

This interview was kind of telling about what happened to Ziggler and how he feels right now. He's kind of the forgotten man, but he's being a team player for the time being. It may come off as sour grapes but really, has anyone with main event talent been more poorly utilized than Dolph Ziggler? Maybe Barrett but that's about it. Ziggler just seems like the type of guy who can carry this company if he's put in the right situation but he's never really been given the chance.

And I agree with the interviewer that his promos on Z True Long Island story were awesome, and for whatever reason he could never translate it to the microphone on WWE TV.

Aiii

So not worth it

Yep, he'll be a great midcarder for many years to come.

Striker

This interview was kind of telling about what happened to Ziggler and how he feels right now.WWE TV.
I see what you mean. He's frustrated (his Twitter is another case) but won't let it ruin his attitude when he goes out there to perform. The Long Island Story thing sounds like a knock at the WWE writers, but that's no surprise.

Yep, he'll be a great midcarder for many years to come.
So nothing different than the last five years.

Lots of marks in the crowd my favorite answer from Hulkster was to the question "who are the 5 strongest guys you fought in the ring?" Hogan goes "IT'S A WORK BROTHERRRR!"

It's about time he doesn't talk about how he picked up the 2 ton Andre and slammed him over his head. He's taking a page from Kevin Nash it seems.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Tuesday or Monday (if it comes out) when Kayfabe Commentaries releases Timeline History of WCW 2000 with Vince Russo. Sean Oliver has said Vince pulls no punches in this interview so we'll see.

The Kharma YouShoot wasn't bad so I expect the usual fanfare of good stuff from KC.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
long interview with triple h he answers the questions really well and can tell he knows the business http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...view-wwe-superstar-corporate-officer-triple-h

So how's your job?

I'm in the office full-time. I work more now than I ever did. I'm not on the road full-time — I'm at every TV, every pay-per-view, but not traveling, not making live events. I just do occasional [on-camera] stuff when it works for the story line.

Who decides to put you in a story line? Does it come from the creative team?

Yeah, it can come out of creative,1 but the ultimate sign-off is Vince.2 Technically, creative reports to Steph, but Steph is kind of the aggregator. Her office does everything from the magazine to digital to the shows, so it's funny when people will say, "Oh, Steph and the creatives." She really doesn't have anything to do with the day-to-day. I mean, she'll weigh in on something if Vince asks or if the writers ask her what she thinks before they bring something to Vince.

So she's mainly big-picture?

Yeah. And because she's not on the road as much, she'll watch the shows from home and give us a completely different perspective. We say it all the time: It's the hardest thing to see everything. You're in the foxhole. We'll do Raw and I won't even see the whole show because from Gorilla Position, I'm that filter before it gets to Vince. So Vince sits in one seat and he talks to the truck and stuff, and I'm in the seat next to him talking to the truck and talking to the ring, and if something just changed in Segment 1, I've got to nip up and go get the change to everybody else, or I'll call a writer in and say, "This just went down, we gotta go here." It's live TV. But when you're at home watching it, it's a completely different perspective. Sometimes we don't see all the video packages or the commercials. You lose perspective. So Steph will see something and say "Hey, guys, I think you're losing the plot here."

But for the most part, she controls the gigantic entity that creative is so that there's continuity between the digital and the magazine, continuity between the domestic shows or the shows that run internationally, all of those components and those teams, which is a massive amount of people. But creatively, the final sign-off is Vince.

Some people might be amazed that he's still so involved. What is this, like, 35 years for him?

That's what he loves to do. It's funny. I often think to myself, he's a promoter and creative guy that somehow got caught up running a corporation. All the other stuff is like his day job, it's "This is the shit I gotta do" — talk to finance people, see to this and that. But at the end of the day, he really likes to sit down in the room with the creative people and talk about creative.

Starting a year after I got to the WWF, Vince would say, "Hey, you have an opinion on this, what's your opinion?" And I'd give Vince my opinions. Sometimes he liked it, sometimes he didn't, but we kind of established that working relationship so that when Russo left in the middle of the night to go to WCW,8 I went to Vince and I just said, "I understand how creative works. You can't bounce ideas off yourself. So if you want to bounce ideas off me, I'm happy to just hear you out and give you my opinion. Not saying you need it, just saying it's there."

So two days later, my phone rang, and Vince said "Hey, pal, you got a minute? You talked to me about bouncing around some ideas. Can I run a couple things by you? See what you think?'' And that started it. Shortly thereafter, it was, "You want to start coming to production meetings? I could really use you in there." And I've been doing it since probably '98, '99.

All the best wrestlers in the company have input on some level, right?

Depends on the guy. You know, Austin — I don't mean this in a disparaging way — Austin would look at something and go, "That sucks, I ain't doing that.
Come back when you get something better." But I would go, "Well, what are we trying to get out of this? What if we did this?" And then Vince would be like, "That's a decent idea, but what if we took that, but did this?" I like that process. I think that was what worked with Vince.

Did the other wrestlers get competitive? Like, why this guy and not me?

There were guys that looked at it like, "Well, that's bullshit." There were a few guys who went to Vince and said, "Hey, I'd like to be involved like that too." What they didn't get was — I'm not trying to put myself over, but there's a level of additional work that comes with it. So when everyone else's call time is one o'clock, I'd be there at 10 o'clock. Even if we had to drive in from the last show and I got in at four in the morning, if I told Vince I'd be at that production meeting at 10 a.m., I was at that production meeting at 10 a.m., bleary-eyed but ready to go. And those other guys would do that once or twice and be like, "Well, I'm not doing that. I'm not making more money from that, no one's paying me extra." I never looked at it that way. I've heard this saying before: Success is not a destination, success is what happens along the way. I dig what I do every single day. Everything else takes care of itself.

There's been a lot written about you on the Internet over the years.

I wish I had the brainpower and the wherewithal and the drive to be as maniacal and devious as people fucking think I am. I'd be fucking Darth Vader. I'd run the Empire, and I guess maybe that's how some people see it, right? They'd say "Oh, he went in there and he buried29 this guy," and it's like, fuck, I had nothing to do with that. I didn't even know he was coming in until I saw him that day.

One of the biggest differences in today's programming versus 10 or 15 years ago is the TV-PG rating, and the end of the hard-core stuff. Was there a point after ECW, after Foley in Hell in a Cell, when you reached a point there where you were like, "All right, how much further can we take this?"

All that stuff is just special effects. It's crazy special effects that you've never seen before, but if the story's not good, it's still a crap movie — it just has a bunch of stuff exploding. Visually, it's unbelievable, but you're bored 20 minutes in. At a certain point in time, those special effects just started to become all we were.

We were putting together a Hell in a Cell match once with Shawn and me against Vince and Shane and the Big Show. And Shane is the king of daredevils, and we were putting together all these crazy spots, and it's just bothering me. Vince was like, "I can tell you don't like any of this. Why?" It was because all we're doing is putting together a bunch of special effects. And I said "People paid a lot of money to see Shawn and me stick your head up Big Show's ass, but we're jumping off a cage, landing on tables. Why?" And Vince said, "You're right. Start over." We could fall off all that stuff that day, but it's not what they wanted to see. It wasn't about the special effects; it was about the story line.

We reached a point where everything just became special effects. We had to pull back and go back to story lines. People will look at the Attitude Era and they'll go, "Ahh, the golden age," but then they'll look back at the '80s with Crockett Promotions and the WWF and say, "Oh, that was the golden age, too!" So, which is it? Because they couldn't be more different. That's as PG36 as you can get.

A great example is the Undertaker-Michaels match at WrestleMania 26. That match, it breathed. It had a pace. It didn't have 40 bumps, but the story line itself was what made it great.

At the end of the day, it's all about the story, and it's not about the bumps. Mick Foley37 was the king of guys who would take chair shots with his hands down.38 I used to say to Mick all the time, "Let me get this straight: Reality-based, you turn around and you see a guy swing a bat at your head, you just put your hands down? Is that what you would do? Because that to me is bogus. You're just appeasing people who want to see you get hit in the head with a chair. You're not telling them a story, you're showing them it's crap." There's always going to be a certain group of people who like horror movies just for the special effects and the slasher stuff. It doesn't matter. That's why schlocky B-films work. They're terrible. The dialogue is horrible, the acting is bad, but there's a certain group of people that just love them because a guy killed a guy with a pencil through his neck. It's just crazy.

That's why we've had eight Saw movies.

That's why we're doing Leprechaun 7.39

The old ECW had so many great moments, but sometimes if you go back and watch a whole episode or a pay-per-view, it's like porn. It can get to be too much.

Bringing it back to the present day, you were talking about Heyman making stars out of guys. Now you're running the talent department, from signings all the way up.

Yeah, that's mine. Everything that has to do with talent, from the legends41 to the developmental system, to the live events and all of its operations and the towns we book, to where the pay-per-views are, all of it. Obviously I have a massive team that does all that, but they report to me.

I started in the office full-time a few years ago. Vince had been bugging me for a while, saying "When are you going to stop messing around in the ring and come get a real job?" So one time when I was injured, I shadowed him in the office for three months. I did everything he did. When I finally started full-time, he was like, "Take a few months. I want you to dig into everything. Have meetings with finance, dig into every part of this company and see what you think needs work." And the thing I came back to him with was we have this huge global marketing juggernaut, but we're a victim of our own success. We've shut down all the other territories. There's almost no place for guys to go learn, and when they do, they're learning how to work in a junior high in front of 50 people. It's a completely different thing than working in front of 10,000 or a million on TV with a camera in your face.

So I started this little division called talent development. It was basically to build a bridge between creative and the developmental wrestlers. Now, other than Vince saying, "OK, you can have that amount of money," he doesn't have anything to do with it. Honest to god, he hasn't even seen the Performance Center yet. He's supposed to go next week.

So now you can train guys from day one instead of recruiting all your guys from other companies.

You have to give talent the tools to succeed. First of all you have to find the right people, the right athletes. Sometimes for guys who have been in the indies for five or six years, it's harder to break them of bad habits than it is to start them fresh. Some guys won't have it. You say, "I know you worked someplace else, but that's just not how it really works. It might've worked there, but let me show you how it works in the real world." And no matter what you show them, they say, "Man, listen, I know how to do this. Don't show me that. I know how to do it."

There's a lot of pride in pro wrestling.

There is. One thing that kills me about the Internet is that if you look hard enough, you can find someone to love you. And you will find a website dedicated to you that will tell you that you are the greatest thing on the planet. And you go on Twitter and the people who say you suck, they get blocked. And pretty soon, everybody's telling you, "Dude, you are the greatest, why doesn't WWE hire you? You're the greatest thing in the world." And you start thinking, Yeah, why don't they hire me? Those guys are idiots. They don't know anything. That's where some guys get it in their heads and they can't get it out.

But it's also a business where you have to have a big ego to get in there in the first place.

You have to have a big ego, but asking questions is not a weakness. It's a strength. It's great to know that I'm really good at this, and I have all the faith in my ability to take that gamble every day. It doesn't mean I can't get better if somebody is willing to help me. That's why I went to Kowalski's school.43 When I looked at the schools that were available, I thought, Kowalski was a big star. He knows how to be a big star. He's been there, maybe he's figured it out. So you have to have a healthy ego, but you also have to be willing to learn and understand you don't know everything. Nobody does. Even Vince, he'll tell you he doesn't.

So in developmental, you give them all those tools, but they've got to be willing to use them. So you've got to find the right athletes, the right human beings, the right mental attitude, and then they have to be open to the creative process. And they need an inner charisma and an X factor to them. There's a lot of times you can look at a guy who doesn't know what he's doing in the ring but you can tell he's going to be a star.

Give me a recent example.

Well, is Ryback the most skilled guy in the ring?

No.

He's doing pretty good, though. When we did the Nexus, obviously we already kind of saw Wade Barrett had it, but Ryback was the guy that stuck out. And it wasn't just because he was the biggest guy — that's what everybody thinks. But that physique is a blessing and a curse. If you look like him, when you walk out from behind that curtain, they go, "Whoa, look at this guy, he'd better impress me. Because if you stink, I'm going to crap on you right away." Then it's "The big guy can't move. The big guy is terrible."

Love how

technically he won that match, but yeah, I'd be ok if Dolph and him switched places. It wouldn't make sense NOW, though

There is a difference between somewhat enjoying a NXT midcarder's promo and posting his picture every page as if he is the second coming of Stone Cold every other page. Joke's older than Moses, time to move on.

hey he's an NXT main eventer, and your NXT champion, not some midcarder

Marvel

could never
I think hes okay but he really needs to do something about his outfit. The FCC should step in and make him put on a shirt and some pants.

His outfit he had in NXT was fine, longer legs... dunno why it's so short now but him and AJ seem to think it's funny for some weird reason. Only issue I have with him right now.

Top Bottom