• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Man God

Non-Canon Member
His stink is all over the November PPV so he was definitely the main man for the last two months or so of WCW, if you could consider anyone in control in 1998.

This is the year of the wheelin and dealing. Ready to Rumble becomes a real thing, Bisch tries to spinoff the NWO into a separate promotion, they try to make a huge inroad into videogames with a new deal with EA and a ton of other things while the problems with the core business start really showing up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird, for the insane drop-off of motivation and direction WCW had right then, they sure found some in 2000 and were rebuilding. It was one of the more interesting and promising builds too, with who they were slotting to be main event stars - even more interesting because it never got to play out.

strobogo

Banned
I find it hard to believe that anyone was left who gave a shit by the time they started to try to rebuild towards the end of 2000. If they stopped giving a shit when everyone was making dick loads of money and being on top of they world, why would anyone care when they dropped to pretty boom era levels?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hard to believe that anyone was left who gave a shit by the time they started to try to rebuilt towards the end of 2000. If they stopped giving a shit when everyone was making dick loads of money and being on top of they world, why would anyone care when they dropped to pretty boom era levels?

I dunno but they had some interesting ideas, pushing Kidman in a program with Hoggin and Vampiro in a program with Sting...

strobogo

Banned
I was thinking about more towards the end of the year with Scott Steiner's reign of terror, but all the reboot stuff was certainly...different. Didn't turn out well for ANYONE, though. All those new dudes they pushed ended up looking like shit in the end and being in the same spot or worse off at the end of it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think I can count the number of people who made out during the WCW rebuild on one hand.

Double J: goes from low mid card WWF to a semi-credible top of the card guy. He also got one over on Vince and used that money to help start up TNA.

Torrie Wilson/Stacey Kiebler: Enough said.

Booker T: Without Benoit/Eddie/Jericho/Malenko/Saturn stealing his shine he eventually became the new face of WCW.

Scott Steiner: GENETIC FREAK. BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY. BIG POPPA PUMP. A loose cannon but easily the best heel of the 1999-2000-2001 era.

You could make a case for Vince Russo here. He definitely got XPAC heat from this run and became a household name for wrestling fans.

strobogo

Banned
Seems accurate. I might add Shane Helms to that list, since he ended having a nearly 10 year WWE career with a much easier style and lots of merch in a company that people actually got paid for their merchandise sales.

But Booker/Stacy/Torrie/Jeff definitely made out the best.

And Rey. Rey had to make 10X the amount working for WWE than he did for all of his WCW run.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was thinking Helms but he really wasn't pushed by WCW 2k. The fed gets his contract and he gets a character that sticks.

Rey...yep. Made out the best of anyone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing I believe Russo on in any of his post WCW interviews is that bit about the worked shoot with Hogan.

Everything else he is somewhere between slightly altering the facts and outright lying.

One of the most entertaining things about Total Divas is getting a backstage peak at the current roster. Roman Reigns not even taking off his headphones to talk to the new girls was great, Zack Ryder walking around catering aimlessly, Sandow walking by with coffee checking out Cameron, Ryback in basketball shorts, Finlay walking out of a room. Riveting television.

tumblr_mrwkxmdZmk1sopvuxo1_400.gif

Tyson Kidd best thing on the show though
tumblr_mrhp8nsjfO1sac3deo1_500.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Roman Reigns being all nice and stuff to Jo-Jo and Eva Marie is breaking my reality.

ROMAN REIGNS IS A BADASS THAT SPEARS PEOPLE TO DEATH DAMNIT! Not a normal guy named Joe that wears cordless headphones to the gym and shakes hands all nice.

strobogo

Banned
So what's the deal, Tyson doesn't want to fuck Nattie or something, so she's hungry for the D and trying to get his attention while he watches hockey?

BREAKING OLD NEWZ GUYZ! NXT IS NOW FREE ON HULU!

No excuse, watch the show

So what's the deal, Tyson doesn't want to fuck Nattie or something, so she's hungry for the D and trying to get his attention while he watches hockey?

On that episode he was too busy watching WRASSLIN to pay attention to her. His shtick is he doesn't pay enough attention to Natty. So we get Natty in sexy Lingerie and getting tans in small bikinis to get noticed.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why don't we just wait and see what happens instead of speculating what Cena and Vince do half a year from now.

---

Total Divas turning into Botchamania now, poor Maffew can't compete with those production values, damnit!

Kaladin

Because of the long weekend, the new thread is going up Wed. I'm going up to a field in TN all weekend and it's going to be a long bender. Suffice to say, I won't be in a condition to make an OT. If I were a WWE Superstar, I'd probably get all three wellness violations in one weekend. That being said, I'm open to suggestions on the name of the new thread because we have a lot of material to work with here.

What's the swerve here?

The Triple H OT returns! Seriously, if there was ever an early OT shouldn't it be a Triple H OT, inserting itself into the previous month's glory?

So what should the topic for Triple H |September OT| be?

Aiii

So not worth it
Because of the long weekend, the new thread is going up Wed. I'm going up to a field in TN all weekend and it's going to be a long bender. Suffice to say, I won't be in a condition to make an OT. If I were a WWE Superstar, I'd probably get all three wellness violations in one weekend. That being said, I'm open to suggestions on the name of the new thread because we have a lot of material to work with here.

What's the swerve here?

The Triple H OT returns! Seriously, if there was ever an early OT shouldn't it be a Triple H OT, inserting itself into the previous month's glory?

September Triple H |OT| This thread is a solid B+

Really, the only option.

What's the swerve here?

For one: It should be "Triple H |OT2| [Subtitle]", "|September OT|" looks extremely messy imo.

Two: The subtitle should contain both the word "buried", and "emotion/feelings" (forgot the exact word he said).

Aiii

So not worth it

15 minutes into this, Russo goes on a rant saying wrestlers were so worried about getting 4-star matches by Meltzer all they did was concentrate on putting together a match with as much flashy moves as they could that they totally forgot how to portray characters.

He then goes on to say that 4-star matches don't sell pay-per-views and I guess that's why WCW went under. He also says it wasn't the pro-wrestling he signed up for. Well no shit, Russo.

He also says Dixie doesn't understand wrestling and keeps signing guys that utterly suck on the mic year after year and that's why nobody's watching TNA. He actually might be right on that one.

Kaladin

15 minutes into this, Russo goes on a rant saying wrestlers were so worried about getting 4-star matches by Meltzer all they did was concentrate on putting together a match with as much flashy moves as they could that they totally forgot how to portray characters.

He then goes on to say that 4-star matches don't sell pay-per-views and I guess that's why WCW went under. He also says it wasn't the pro-wrestling he signed up for. Well no shit, Russo.

He also says Dixie doesn't understand wrestling and keeps signing guys that utterly suck on the mic year after year and that's why nobody's watching TNA. He actually might be right on that one.

What I wouldn't give for a shoot interview with Vince McMahon where one of the topics is that he talks about dealing with Russo in the attitude era.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh snap, he just said Medusa could (shoot-) take half of the TNA wrestlers, all those guys that just want to wrestle 4-star matches and not be characters... He then fake-coughed Christopher Daniels....

What?

Aiii

So not worth it
According to Russo, Kanyon never reached the top, because he wasn't able to put himself first and always thought about putting the other guy over first. What a good guy.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Memphis right now and I'm tempted to drive by the old Mid South Coliseum.

Penguin

I use to feel this way watching the X-Division
Matches use to remind me of the old Smackdown games, where wrestlers wouldn't stay down, just kind of bounce around
No real logic or flow. Just set-up for higher spots.

According to Russo, Kanyon never reached the top, because he wasn't able to put himself first and always thought about putting the other guy over first. What a good guy.

Reminds me of the Scott Hall quote from I think Terry Funk

Don't get too good at jobbing or it's the only thing you'll do

Aiii

So not worth it
OH MY, apparently the swerve to Keibler's pregnancy (and marriage to David Flair) was gonna be that Ric Flair was the father. And they discussed that the swerve on top of the swerve was gonna be that Stacey was in fact also the daughter of a one-night-stand Ric Flair had back in the 80s.

Top Bottom