• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Kaladin

OH MY, apparently the swerve to Keibler's pregnancy (and marriage to David Flair) was gonna be that Ric Flair was the father. And they discussed that the swerve on top of the swerve was gonna be that Stacey was in fact also the daughter of a one-night-stand Ric Flair had back in the 80s.

Thanks....now I have to clean up my keyboard after spitting diet coke on it.

OH MY, apparently the swerve to Keibler's pregnancy (and marriage to David Flair) was gonna be that Ric Flair was the father. And they discussed that the swerve on top of the swerve was gonna be that Stacey was in fact also the daughter of a one-night-stand Ric Flair had back in the 80s.

Thanks....now I have to clean up my keyboard after spitting diet coke on it.

Yeah, that was more or less my reaction too when I heard this. CONFUSIONNNNNNNN

Penguin

I've never actually seen the Bash at the Beach of most of 2000 WCW

So how was it booked.. like did Booker T have a title match or was he just kind of thrown out there?

Kaladin

Because of the long weekend, the new thread is going up Wed. I'm going up to a field in TN all weekend and it's going to be a long bender. Suffice to say, I won't be in a condition to make an OT. If I were a WWE Superstar, I'd probably get all three wellness violations in one weekend. That being said, I'm open to suggestions on the name of the new thread because we have a lot of material to work with here.

What's the swerve here?

The Triple H OT returns! Seriously, if there was ever an early OT shouldn't it be a Triple H OT, inserting itself into the previous month's glory?

So what should the topic for Triple H |September OT| be?

For the new page.....current winning topic is:

Triple H |OT2| This thread is a solid B+

Kaladin

That Axel grin

599274_10151784019057874_1695722342_n.png

Bryan better get some measure of revenge this week. I can't believe people were trying to say he didn't get buried last week.

- verbally smacked down by Stephanie
- thrown out by Steph
- trashed by Mr. H
- trashed by Vince
- beaten up by The Shield
- RKO'd

did I miss anything?

Aiii

So not worth it
I've never actually seen the Bash at the Beach of most of 2000 WCW

So how was it booked.. like did Booker T have a title match or was he just kind of thrown out there?

Oh, Russo goes into great detail on that too.

So, they had a meeting and everyone pretty much agreed to put the belt on Booker T. So Russo had to convince Hogan to not win the belt from Jarrett. So he wrote this match where Hogan was made to look like a million bucks and beating a bunch of guys before finally losing the shot at the belt that way. Gave that to Johnny Ace, who went to Hogan and Hogan shot it down. So Russo went back, rewrote it to have Hogan murder half the roster and then lose and gave that to Johnny Ace, Hogan accepted that. This was Friday before the PPV. So un Sunday, a few hours before the PPV, Johnny Ace comes to Russo and tells him to go to Hogan's trailer, because he wasn't willing to do the job.

Now Russo has to get Hogan to drop the belt so he can put it on Booker, Hogan tries to pitch him an idea where Jarrett loses the belt to him and Russo lets him finish. Then he goes "Okay, so in the real world, I'm gonna go out here and tell Jarrett you're not doing the job and taking the belt from him? That guys gonna go batshit insane. He won't take that. So how about we do this..." so Russo agrees with Hogan that they're gonna treat this like a shoot, he goes to Jarrett, tells them Hogan isn't willing to do the job and to screw him, Jarrett is gonna lay down in the ring and then the whole thing with Hogan leaving and Russo's shoot promo is gonna go down. After which they'll have the Booker/Jarrett match with Booker winning.

The idea is that after this, Hogan leaves for a while, comes back and he and Booker feud over who's the real champ and they'll both have belts. But, Russo said to Hogan, we'll figure out the aftermath later and at one point tells him "I'll call you tomorrow and we'll work on the details." Now, the next day, Russo is on the phone with the president of WCW at the time, and tells him the whole story and how he's about to call Hogan to work out the details and the guy tells him. "Don't. We can't afford to pay Hogan for any more dates right now. Leave it" and Russo doesn't call him after all, Hogan gets pissed off, files lawsuit etc.

According to Russo he told Jarrett the next day it was all a work and they played him. Jeff legit thought Hogan wasn't willing to do the job and got really angry and ready to do the finish.

Penguin

Bryan better get some measure of revenge this week. I can't believe people were trying to say he didn't get buried last week.

- thrown out by Steph
- trashed by Mr. H
- trashed by Vince
- RKO'd

did I miss anything?

Well to be fair, the only way to pull yourself up is to be buried.

And no, I don't see him getting much of an advantage until week before the PPV.
He'll go over strong, but the damned number games.
I see him eventually costing the Shield their belts as his first major tide turner

Aiii

So not worth it

- thrown out by Steph
- trashed by Mr. H
- trashed by Vince
- RKO'd

did I miss anything?

Yes, you saw him fighting, not running away. You saw thousands of people Yes-chanting. You saw the heels talk him down. You saw the shield beating him down and him still getting to the ring.

This is not burying, this is them building him up as the underdog so that when he finally does win the title, it's not a meaningless thing where the internet darling wins the belt for a three month run, but literally everyone is going to go: "YES! FINALLY! HE DID IT!" and pop a huge buyrate.

You don't get buried when the top heels in the company are in a program with you over the WWE Title, you are the focus of the program and everyone fucking loves you for it.

Another thing to add: He went over Cena. CLEAN AS A SHEET. Even Punk never got that.

On a side note, Cena must really hate SummerSlam since he loses there almost every year :p

Penguin

He didn't and that term has lost all meaning with internet fans these days.

This is a burial;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvNyQqSjgIo#t=5m20s

Or Austin jobbing the US title to Jim Duggan.

1) Triple H actually won a match with the spinebuster?

2)I completely tried to bury this memory. For the life of me, I still don't get why he pedigreed them.

3)He goes over the tag champs in a handicap match clean. He gets one up on Carlito after a 3-1 assault and then decides to attack the faces who helped him anyhow. WOW

Kaladin

2)I completely tried to bury this memory. For the life of me, I still don't get why he pedigreed them.

3)He goes over the tag champs in a handicap match clean. He gets one up on Carlito after a 3-1 assault and then decides to attack the faces who helped him anyhow. WOW

Pffft....you think that's a burial? Clearly you haven't played the Triple H storyline in WWE '12.

He buries everyone on the way to retiring as WWE Champion....and I think he gets his # of title reigns past Ric Flair's to boot.

Penguin

Pffft....you think that's a burial? Clearly you haven't played the Triple H storyline in WWE '12.

He buries everyone on the way to retiring as WWE Champion....and I think he gets his # of title reigns past Ric Flair's to boot.

Oh I remember that

Doesn't he come back at Mania and beat like Orton and Cena at the end?

Also fun/sad to note, not a single person from that video is still with the company except Triple H

I'm assuming this is the London/Kendrick thing?

Yeah, NOBODY GOT THAT. It was very confusing. I guess it was to show he was a lone wolf deal, but it's on, like, Austin stunning Keibler for not liking beer level of out of nowhere stupid

But that was AFTER Sheamus won all the goddamn titles! Trips NEEDED HIS REVENGGGEEEE

How about when Cena and Orton buried the WWE roster and then Triple H buried them.

Now I kind of want to see Daniel Bryan vs. The WWE Roster.

That just makes me think of that sweet goddamn double team RKO they did to Cody. Orton in RKO mode is hilarity

Kaladin

But that was AFTER Sheamus won all the goddamn titles! Trips NEEDED HIS REVENGGGEEEE

'12 had the best story mode of the previous generation. Even if the gameplay was horrible and they made it worse by some of the stuff they did in storymode specifically, I suffered through it for some of the best WWE game writing ever. It was basically taking WWE storylines and going places WWE would never go.

'12 had the best story mode of the previous generation. Even if the gameplay was horrible and they made it worse by some of the stuff they did in storymode specifically, I suffered through it for some of the best WWE game writing ever. It was basically taking WWE storylines and going places WWE would never go.

Story mode wise, WWE has had some decent ones, and some reaaaaal bad ones (like the unfortunate timing of Taker chokeslamming Eddie into a casket, like a month after he died)

But yeah, 12 was the good shit. Build up to Cena, then NOAP here comes Sheamus. United Kingdom was a legitimately awesome stable. At least Regal got some form of shine. It was a fun moment (though I got spoiled on it) to have Trips come back right after Sheamus wins everything.

Then the Jacob Cass/NXT stuff was cool, what with INCOMING WCW. Though having to use a specific moveset really pissed me off. And Aries doing the VO was hilarious too, just like when Ki did Suicide

Kaladin

Story mode wise, WWE has had some decent ones, and some reaaaaal bad ones (like the unfortunate timing of Taker chokeslamming Eddie into a casket, like a month after he died)

But yeah, 12 was the good shit. Build up to Cena, then NOAP here comes Sheamus. United Kingdom was a legitimately awesome stable. At least Regal got some form of shine. It was a fun moment (though I got spoiled on it) to have Trips come back right after Sheamus wins everything.

Then the Jacob Cass/NXT stuff was cool, what with INCOMING WCW. Though having to use a specific moveset really pissed me off. And Aries doing the VO was hilarious too, just like when Ki did Suicide

What was really grinding my gears about that year was wrestling to cut scenes or certain events....you were almost never wrestling to win the matches. Worst wrestling game mechanic ever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The worst story mode in WWE games was the one where you had to fight Hogan and he took like 5 rock bottoms to go down, but it only took one leg drop to beat you.

There was also some bullshit Undertaker matches

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's Monday. Time for a new Fave Five.

Fave Five MOST POWERFUL Finishers

5. Nash's Jackknife Powerbomb
4. Kane's Chokeslam
3. Stan Hansen's Lariatooooo
2. Doomsday Device (LoD/Road Warriors)
1. Batista Bomb

What was really grinding my gears about that year was wrestling to cut scenes or certain events....you were almost never wrestling to win the matches. Worst wrestling game mechanic ever.

Yeah, that's become a really weird thing...I haven't played '13 pretty much at all, but I think it's the same there too. Pretty dumb.

To be fair though, if you don't do that, then you become some unstoppable Goldberg machine who never loses, which was basically what happened in the Season Modes

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Junkhammer? Ehh...alright. It's good. Sometimes it looked less than spectacular but so did all my picks.

EDIT:

Second Set of Fave Five Most POWERFUL Finishers

6. Nakamura's Boma Ye
7. Husky Harris' Ass Drop
8. CM Punk's Pepsi Plunge
9. Low Ki's Warrior's Way
10. Davey Boy Smith's Running Powerbomb

4. Kane's Chokeslam
1. Batista Bomb

Are we talking in kayfabe here? If so...

5. Kazuchika Okada's Rainmaker
4. Hirooki Goto's Ura Shouten
3. Michelle McCool's Faithbreaker
2. Beth Phoenix's Glam Slam
1. Victoria/Tara's Widow's Peak

Reasoning; I can only recall the Faithbreaker and Glam Slam being kicked out of once, and that's during their final matches. Rainmaker is always an ender, Shouten I believe is, and I can't recall any time EVER that someone's kicked out of the Widow's Peak

tldr; Puro and Women Wrestling have the most powerful finishers :p

PS: Give Okada like 2 more years of nuking people with it and it'll be that

Aiii

So not worth it
I always loved it, though it should never go without a spear. Spear + Jackhammer = death.

If Bryan keeps his finisher, which seems so, his Goatram knee to the face will be in my fave five finishers of all time sooner rather than later. As long as people keep taking it like Cena and Barrett did.

1. The Western Lariat, by Stan Hansen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JutcZ4eOI
2. The Backdrop Driver, by Steve Williams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxanIU_8Ka0
3. The Burning Hammer, by Kenta Kobashi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfaATYmbpQ
4. The Vertical Drop Brainbuster, by Shinya Hashimoto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUbFV6E2_iE
5. The Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex, by Manami Toyota - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boMZDa8-PsE

I defy you to find a match where someone kicked out of the lariat. Plenty of guys found ways around it, like getting knocked to the floor and counted out, but no one ever, ever kicked out if Hansen managed to make the pin after hitting his lariatooooooooooooo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Spike Dudley sure could take a powerbomb.

On the other hand, I never ever liked the Razor's Edge. Didn't look devastating, just 'uncomfortable'.

You don't get buried when the top heels in the company are in a program with you over the WWE Title, you are the focus of the program and everyone fucking loves you for it.
Didn't matter if he was the focus, for one week he was buried to the moon.

Also yeah, burials don't have the same meaning because true burials don't happen much anymore. Remember when Mr. H "buried" Curtis Axel before the "concussion"?

Sunflower said:
This is a nifty one.

Yeah, it looks pretty damn brutal.

The amount of big, famous moves innovated by Japanese women wrestlers is all kinds of amazing;

. Akira Hokuto - innovated the Northern Lights Bomb & the Gutwrench sit-out powerbomb.
. Etsuko Mita - innovated the Death Valley Driver.
. Jaguar Yokota - innovated the double underhook powerbomb/piledriver, the original Tiger Driver and the suplex powerslam (Jackhammer).
. Kyoko Inoue - innovated the Niagara Driver and the Burning Hammer.
. Lioness Asuka - innovated the Argentine backbreaker into a powerbomb.
. Manami Toyota - innovated the Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex and the disgusting Victory Star Drop; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoxGfLRL6Y0
. Mariko Yoshida - innovated the Air Raid Crash.
. Mayumi Ozaki - innovated the Tequila Sunrise Suplex.
. Megumi Kudo - innovated the Vertebreaker.

I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting.

Entropia

No One Remembers

4. Kane's Chokeslam
1. Batista Bomb

5. Kevin Nash/Diesels' Jacknife Powerbomb
4. Antonio Cesaro's Neutralizer
3. Goldberg's Jackhammer