• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Oh god! This...this!!!

SoulPlaya is going to be able to fix the problem Laserfrog! He will be able to cure you with his medical knowledge!

But...bitter rivals once, now Laserfrog turns to Soul for help! But can he be trusted? Can Soulplaya put aside his rivalry...for the life of a human being? For the life of his greatest enemy?

For...Laserfrog?

TUNE IN TONIGHT GWF
Hey, wait a minute. I just started med school.

I mean, yeah, of course I will!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Top Five Gimmick Matches/PPV ideas:

5. Hell in the Cell: While severely cheapened over the years this simple idea of a regular no dq match inside a cage with a lid just really worked. It's a good idea that has been tamed over the years by overexposure.

4. Elimination Chamber. Wargames but not as good.

3. Wargames. Survivor series on steroids in a cage. The early ones are phenomenal. The Elimination Chamber was what the WWE came up with when HHH wanted to revive this idea. I bet it comes back within a year of Vince retiring for good.

2. Money in the Bank: This PPV match has basically made two WWE staples used to anoint an up and comer redundant; The IC belt and the King of the Ring tournament.

1. Royal Rumble. The staggered battle royal format adds a ton to a gimmick match older than dirt.

BONUS: Five worst gimmick matches

5. Stuff on a pole.
4. Inferno matches.
3. Non escape cage matches/Cage matches with open doors.
2.Scaffold match: Two or more big burly men trying their best to not wrestle and take big ass falls as safely as possible.
1. Hell in a Kennel.

Most of your worsts are my bests. Love shit on a pole, love inferno, love scaffold matches.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The best wrestling gimmick match is a tag team match.

The word wrestling gimmick match is special enforcer/referee/lumberjack match. Not because it's the worst to watch, nothing is harder to watch for me than that match on a lorry or an obfuscated blue or red cage, but rather because it takes a match that could be good or great and always takes away from a match rather than add anything to it. Especially if it's just a "waste time until the big event" type of match where they clearly can't get anything established so they just let the outside group stop it.

The BEST worst gimmick that I loved to watch will forever be musical chairs. Its just so awful and yet I'm always entertained trying to imagine Vince screaming about how good it'll be. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y5vi_raw-musical-chairs_fun

Some very good matches there, also some clunkers, but overall a good package.

I take no shame in enjoying that Javier Cruz vs. El Dandy (Hair vs. Hair) (10/26/84) match, but then I was hoping both would lose at the same time.

Top 5 Deathmatch gimmicks;

1. Electrified Barbedwire Exploding Cage Deathmatch
2. Caribbean Spider Web Scaffold Deathmatch
3. No-Rope, Flaming Barbedwire Logs & Lanterns Deathmatch, AKA The Double Hellfire Match
4. Yokohama Amazon River Piranha Deathmatch
5. Exploding Thumb Tack Balloon Deathmatch

Honourable mention for the Grocery Story Deathmatch, as it was my first exposure to the wonderful world of deathmatch wrestling;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2rTgMKw_8

Also, the best/worst deathmatch gimmick is clearly the Bread Eating Deathmatch. Yes, you read that right. A bread eating deathmatch;

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Ken Ohka - Bread Eating Deathmatch - (UNION 01/03/11)

Gawdamn, that is a lot of lucha! Curious to see how those matches with Sayama & Fujinami are.

Penguin

Oh let's see

Top 5 Gimmick Matches

1) Royal Rumble - I think this is protected by the fact that WWE doesn't whore it out all the time. And it is still a fun and mostly unpredictable match. Even the bad ones are still enjoyable to watch just to see who is in it and who gets eliminated.

2) The Ladder Match - In almost every variation of it (TLC, Money in the Bank, etc) Watching them in rapid succession isn't very advisable, but checking it out. Always a fun match. Some brutal and dangerous spots. And doesn't really need to slow down the pacing of the match to work the gimmick.

3) Hell in a Cell - Half of wrestling is entertainment, and I think even without all the big spots, Hell in a Cell is always a visually pleasing match because it looks so dangerous. Yes, it has been watered down in recent years, but still get excited when used properly.

4) 3 Stages of Hell - A bit more evolved version of the 2 out of 3 falls. When booked properly, it does offer up a nice variety in styles and pacing for matches. And fixes some broken gimmicks.

5) Iron Man match - Not the easiest thing to pull off, but when done well some of the best wrestling out there!

Top 5 WCW Rey Mysterio attire:

5) Classic blue
19961124_ulitmo_rey.jpg

4) Black and orange

3) Off Pink and lime green

2) Pink and black

1) Full body purple suit

Unless this was an actual death match wrestled in the middle of the Amazon with the constant threat of piranhas: no sale.

Unfortunately, it was just a tank of piranhas that you had to trap your opponent in for 10 seconds to win.

Easily the best of the 'let's involve animals in deathmatches!' craze Big Japan went through in the mid-90's. The tarantula deathmatches and scorpion deathmatches just didn't have the same visual impact as a dude madly thrashing around in a tank of water while piranhas take chunks out of him.

KenOD

DDT's fight in a pet store with a man afraid of [insert random animal here] will always be the best type of animal involvement for a gimmick match. A wrestler is dominating, perhaps bragging a bit, but then he sees a cute puppy dog and just freezes out of sheer terror and it's amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Surprised that WWE has never done a war games style match in the elimination chamber.

Elimination Chamber is war games turned into a singles match and was there because H cubed wanted a War Games match and vince especially around that time period was bucking anything from WCW as a good idea.

KenOD

War Games was great, but I really never see it coming back unless WWE travels to Wimbly or some other stadium again with plenty of room. Those two rings with two cages take up a lot of space that they rather just sell as seat space.

Dean Malenko was great, wasn't he? What is Dean Malenko up to these days?

Works as a producer and agent for the WWE now, helping to make the shows and working as an advisor to the talent. He's one of the guys who heads up Main Event. Which has to be the only reason I once saw Miz and Kofi put on a great match together.

Elimination Chamber is war games turned into a singles match and was there because H cubed wanted a War Games match and vince especially around that time period was bucking anything from WCW as a good idea.

I think it would help with the shields "numbers game"

Also dean was not a good as Jericho . I mean dude needed to learn a few more holds

Dean Malenko was great, wasn't he?

One of the best ever.

Once in a while (no real schedule), I watch a bunch of Malenko matches from WCW under the MALENKO MURDER TOUR banner.

Most of them end with either the Tiger Driver into the Cloverleaf, or some glorious STOMACH BLOCK action.

People need to steal that move.

jmdajr

Hulu.com has made WWE NXT available for free on its website whereas the show was previously part of the Hulu Plus monthly subscription. All previous episodes of NXT dating back to its debut in 2010 have been made available for free.

No excuse not to watch now, well... if you have the time

Watching Total Divas. That one scene with Nattie and her friend at the tanning saloon was awkwardly scripted. The dialogue was so stilted and forced. I like the dynamics of the characters but it definitely comes across as fake/scripted.

I read somewhere that WWE doesn't want to do WarGames because they don't want to have two rings for the entire show, for the live audience. Which is pretty shortsighted.

Hell, WCW used to do a show with THREE rings!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I read somewhere that WWE doesn't want to do WarGames because they don't want to have two rings for the entire show, for the live audience. Which is pretty shortsighted.

Hell, WCW used to do a show with THREE rings!

I really should have added it to my worst list but WW3's 60 man battle royale main event SUUUUUCKED. Just a giant mosh of bodies that eventually dissipates into a few men. No sense of drama like the Royal Rumble style event. Few chances for surprises and almost no spot booking. Just a mosh.

Chopper

I just got round to watching the Cesaro/Zayn match from NXT. Holy shit. I could watch these guys go forever. Iron Man match pls.

I really should have added it to my worst list but WW3's 60 man battle royale main event SUUUUUCKED. Just a giant mosh of bodies that eventually dissipates into a few men. No sense of drama like the Royal Rumble style event. Few chances for surprises and almost no spot booking. Just a mosh.

It was a handy reminder of all the random-ass guys WCW had (and never used) on their roster, anyway

Kaladin

2 and 3 ring set-ups cut into live event profits big time by cutting out a good chunk of the floor seats, which are seats usually guaranteed to sell for a PPV.

WCW is also dead.
True that. Time Warner sold it for a loss to the McMahons. They were operating in the red and basically shot themselves in the foot. They're only "goal" was to beat WWE in TV ratings.

TNA is repeating history. Instead of being a company geared toward, merchandise, licensing and PPV revenue, they're only concerned with getting Spike 1.0s.

Never understood why you would intenonally spoil something for yourself.

also NOAh's upcoming event sounds pretty good.

Blue Justice and tiger mask tag team!!!

[
Pro Wrestling NOAH “Shiny Navig. 2013 Ark New Chapter ~Unforgettable ProWres~”, 9/7/2013 [Sat] 18:00 @ Differ Ariake in Tokyo

(1) Kaiser vs. Fenix [AAA]
(2) Hajime Ohara [Free] vs. Kikutaro [Akiba]
(3) Taiji Ishimori & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Ross & Marshall Von Erich
(4) TMDK vs Uncontrollable Iron Mask: Mikey Nicholls vs. Maybach Taniguchi
(5) GHC Jr. Tag Prelude NJPW vs NOAH: Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Daisuke Harada
(6) GHC Jr. Tag Prelude NJPW vs NOAH Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Tiger Mask IV vs. Mohammed Yone & Hitoshi Kumano
(7) BRAVE vs NO MERCY 6 Man Tag Match: Naomichi Marufuji, Katsuhiko Nakajima [DIAMOND RING] & Atsushi Kotoge vs. Takashi Sugiura, Yoshihiro Takayama [Takayama Hall] & Genba Hirayanagi
(8) GHC Heavyweight Championship Match: [19th Champion] KENTA vs. [Challenger] Shane Haste

How in the fuck is the Yappapi Indian Strap Match not there?

You know something maniacs, First things first...

I want the Doctor Proper, Doctor Unger, and Doctor Hughes to know, ..... the release forms have been signed. ..... You guys are not responsible for the last couple fractures in the forearm, brutha.

The main priority in the Yapappi Indian Strap Match, is to have flexibility in the wrist that you strap to your opponent with, brutha, ..... because in the Yapappi Indian Strap Match, when you're in the four corners of the battlezone, ..... the main priority is to get the body in the proper position for the strapation, dudes.

When I get Ric Flair, right where I want him ... when I get him.... out of wind........ sucking air..... sweating from head to toe, I will call to the Strapmaster, Jimmy Hart, on ringside, and I will say to Jimmy Hart, at ringside.
"Gimme Yapappi Indian Punishment Strap NUMBA ONE"

And as I strap your body, Ric Flair... as you scream to the heavens for mercy... as I see your skin start to bubble off your body.. You will drop to your knees, and you will say "Please Mr. Hogan, please, I can't take it anymore. Please I'm sorry I crossed the line."

And as I hear you beg for mercy, that's when I will call to the Strapmaster Jimmy Hart, at ringside for Yapipi Indian Punishment Strapage NUMBA TWO.

That's when the heavier bats will come out.
That's when I will strap your skin.
That's when your skin will start to bubble.
That's when the flesh will start to peel from your hide.

And as I see the raw pink meat on your back brutha, I'm gonna take it to another level.
I will transform from Hulk to Hollywood.
I will double strap you with both fists, and you will scream to the heavens,
"Please Hollywood, don't hurt me anymore"
And I will never stop...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's GWF is NOT fucking around.

I can't keep the fed going...with 2k14 on the horizon. What does that mean? Tune in tonight. See your favorite stars. Will you save the GWF? Or will you finish it?

fNgGI2K.jpg
NAITKl3.jpg
mUINEhP.jpg
O1Bq8Un.jpg
fe1UsBr.jpg
Uscgvv1.jpg
CFP1sHD.jpg
UFxKR19.jpg
dTciuQD.jpg
wnetNXw.jpg
ByjST0i.jpg
xwXv3X1.jpg
6QR00g8.jpg
8Ux5Bpy.jpg
5bpGuDx.jpg
TDaV5XE.jpg

JOIN US TONIGHT RIGHT AFTER RAW

SHIT IS GOING DOWN

How in the fuck is the Yappapi Indian Strap Match not there?

You know something maniacs, First things first...

I want the Doctor Proper, Doctor Unger, and Doctor Hughes to know, ..... the release forms have been signed. ..... You guys are not responsible for the last couple fractures in the forearm, brutha.

The main priority in the Yapappi Indian Strap Match, is to have flexibility in the wrist that you strap to your opponent with, brutha, ..... because in the Yapappi Indian Strap Match, when you're in the four corners of the battlezone, ..... the main priority is to get the body in the proper position for the strapation, dudes.

When I get Ric Flair, right where I want him ... when I get him.... out of wind........ sucking air..... sweating from head to toe, I will call to the Strapmaster, Jimmy Hart, on ringside, and I will say to Jimmy Hart, at ringside.
"Gimme Yapappi Indian Punishment Strap NUMBA ONE"

And as I strap your body, Ric Flair... as you scream to the heavens for mercy... as I see your skin start to bubble off your body.. You will drop to your knees, and you will say "Please Mr. Hogan, please, I can't take it anymore. Please I'm sorry I crossed the line."

And as I hear you beg for mercy, that's when I will call to the Strapmaster Jimmy Hart, at ringside for Yapipi Indian Punishment Strapage NUMBA TWO.

That's when the heavier bats will come out.
That's when I will strap your skin.
That's when your skin will start to bubble.
That's when the flesh will start to peel from your hide.

And as I see the raw pink meat on your back brutha, I'm gonna take it to another level.
I will transform from Hulk to Hollywood.
I will double strap you with both fists, and you will scream to the heavens,
"Please Hollywood, don't hurt me anymore"
And I will never stop...

GOAT level promo

Top Bottom