• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

So.. what's a good laptop brand these days? Does it even matter?
It's not like there is tons to choose from.
apple, acer has some good ones at the high end, samsung/sony has some good ones at the high end too. Asus too I think. But basically unless you're willing to pay a shitton you'll probably get a shit laptop. That's just how the market is these days.

jmdajr

apple, acer has some good ones at the high end, samsung/sony has some good ones at the high end too. Asus too I think. But basically unless you're willing to pay a shitton you'll probably get a shit laptop. That's just how the market is these days.

Yeah I'm trying to do a recommendation here. One thing for sure I would never recommend a netbook. Definitely one of the worst purchases I ever made.

I still have old Dell laptops that still work even though the batteries have been long dead.

edit:lol,these warranty price are outrageous.

There is no modern day WCW, it died and the wrestling industry shrunk. TNA didn't replace them, they're nowhere near that big, they replaced ECW. The idea that the wrestling industry will stay the same size no matter what, with another promotion rising up to take TNA's place is completely absurd. Who exactly is going to pour the millions the promotion will need into it?

Yeah, though TNA has a lot of the WCW "leadership", it definitely is no WCW. WCW was backed by a billionaire, was on a huge TV network and had ITs own stars (Sting, Luger, Flair, etc).

TNA's issue is the company is run poorly. Dixie should've been removed a long time ago. The company is not moving merchandise, liscensing, poor house-show gates, low PPV buys, etc. The "plan" can't be to just coast on 1.0 ratings. It doesn't make sense.

200 gate is laughable. ROH doesn't even get that low. And their PPV business is in shambles. Like, isn't the point of wrestling to sell PPV buys, merchandise and house gates?

As much as I roll my eyes at Vince's side hustles (XFL, WBF, WWE films and the network). The actual wrestling arm is successful. Mania the last few years has been a 1 million PPV buy show (though PPV buys are down this year), the deal with 2K for video games, Cena Fruity Pebbles deal, WWE toys, move merchandise (go into Hot Topic and they have the popular t-shirts), etc. Their main issue is the side stuff bringing down their profits (the new facility probably didn't help).

Kaladin

TNA is basically WCW after Vince bought the name, tape library, and after Ted Turner lost interest in a wrasslin show. Think of it as a relaunch and they had to start back at square 1 with Jeff Jarrett running the show and a new financial backer.

TNA is basically WCW after Vince bought the name, tape library, and after Ted Turner lost interest in a wrasslin show. Think of it as a relaunch and they had to start back at square 1 with Jeff Jarrett running the show and a new financial backer.

Yeah, I'm not a finance major, MBA or whatever, but shouldn't every business have a goal of growing and making money. TNA doesn't seem to be doing any of that. And it took the other Carters to come in and start cutting costs (by letting go of talent and cutting down house show dates).

Also, they need to figure out this road taping thing. It was a good idea but it's too expensive for a company like TNA. Some pundits on podcasts have given ideas like staying in a market for a month but it's a tough pill to swallow, even if Viacom is backing it.

Maybe Viacom would.

Saying it's gotta be TNA or nothing is pointless, there's always an audience for wrestling. TNA is evidence of that as much as anything, given their flatline 1.0 rating.

Tell that to all the countries where wrestling used to be huge and are now nothing more than a niche product.

And if Viacom ever own a wrestling company, it'll be TNA and they'll probably put Bischoff in charge of it. If not then it's not going to happen.

So, back to WWE.

With them pushing that Sandow's case is lost. They're gonna end up doing a (new) WHC Contract on a Pole match between Sandow and Cody at SummerSlam right?

They're not gonna take Sandow's title push away, are they?

After he jobbed to Christian the night after winning the contract, I thought it became patently obvious that they were just using Sandow as a means to get Rhodes over and had little intention of actually pulling the plug on a title reign for him. I'm very sad about that, as Sandow is just as good of an overall performer as Cody is an in-ring performer, and he'd be GREAT as a main event guy due to the versatility his well-developed gimmick allows, but after being Sheamus's personal bitch for months, I can't imagine he has the credibility for a title run at this point.

I'm in the middle of writing something for my wrestling rewatch blog about 2002, as that year is a crazy year for professional wrestling as so much changes across the world.

It's 12 months on since WCW and ECW folded, TNA and ROH emerge in the US, along with CHIKARA. CZW evolves from backyard garbage wrestling to include more technical talent.

In Japan things change too with NJPW, AJPW & NOAH changing either their ownership or their style. There's certainly some big roster moves that shake up the foundation of the puro scene.

FWA in England is seemingly on the rise (and perhaps sadly the heighest it'll ever go before fading away). Irish Whiplash Wrestling has a great foundation of young wrestlers too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I mean... what's the rule?

I imagine he still has the contract... not like possession changes hands if someone else holds the case

They'll probably have a storyline with him asking for a new one or something.

Actually the Money in the Bank contract has always been about possession, and somebody else can take the rights to it even if they didn't win the MITB match. That's how Edge managed to cash in Mr. Kennedy's MITB briefcase.

Actually the Money in the Bank contract has always been about possession, and somebody else can take the rights to it even if they didn't win the MITB match. That's how Edge managed to cash in Mr. Kennedy's MITB briefcase.

Neg, they had a match for it and Edge won through being a butt

AWESOME, looks like they're taping a 'pilot', of sorts, for World of Sport Wrestling to return to ITV here in the UK!

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb10974041.htm

WOS Wrestling Ltd and ITV Studios Limited have come to terms to resurrect ITV's iconic World of Sport Wrestling.

The comeback event at Croydon's Fairfield Halls, which is being taped for ITV, will feature new wrestlers, but promises to be in the spirit of traditional World of Sport Wrestling, utilizing the Mountevans rules. A number of the original World of Sport Wrestling legends will also be making a special appearance, including the masked man of mystery Kendo Nagasaki, and the man widely considered the world’s greatest technical wrestler; Johnny Saint.

"What's old is new again," said WOS Wrestling Ltd's Managing Director John Chapman. "The internet age has produced a whole new generation of wrestling fans who study the wrestling skills of British legends such as Johnny Saint, Mark "Rollerball" Rocco, and Dynamite Kid. We've gone full circle. The public want this style of wrestling to come back; it's an alternative to the American style. World of Sport Wrestling goes right back to basics, putting a clear emphasis on the actual wrestling."

The comeback event has been three years in the making. IT entrepreneur John Chapman incorporated WOS Wrestling Ltd in 2010 and started the process of acquiring rights to bon-vaninta wrestling trade marks from the Crown. In June 2013, WOS Wrestling Ltd sold numerous World of Sport trade marks rights to ITV Studios Limited with an agreement to provide new World of Sport Wrestling for ITV.

Fuck yes. The promotion contracted to provide the talent is LDN Wrestling. I'm not familiar with their roster, other than the mostly semi-retired veterans from WoS like Johnny Saint, Johnny Kid & Mal Sanders, but hopefully if this is successful we'll see some other top British talents involved. Zack Sabre Jr. would be a perfect fit.

Here's a few World of Sports matches just for the hell of it. Educate yourselves, yanks ;)

Mal Sanders vs 'Cyanide' Sid Cooper
Johnny Saint vs Steve Grey
Fit Finlay vs Grasshopper
Les Kellet vs Leon Arras
Dynamite Kid vs Marty Jones

kunonabi

There's 5 days left and the videos are available until August 19th at midnight, Japanese time. The first two days are up on youtube, I believe.

Joshi's kinda hard to come by at the moment, but I'd say the best promotions are probably STARDOM or OZ Academy. I haven't seen any new JWP in ages, or Diana, Ice Ribbon, SENDAI Girls, etc. Here's a few fairly recent shows;

STARDOM - 04/29/13 - Champion Fiesta 2013 Ryogoku Cinderella
OZ Academy - 05/12/13 - Lollipop

I'm a big fan of classic AJW, JWP, LLPW, etc and, to be honest, the modern stuff isn't really a patch on that era, but there's still some good stuff, here and there.

thanks, i was kind of worried that would be the answer.

BKJest

I really enjoyed G1, I guess my favorite match was Nagata vs Suzuki, that was an awesome match. As was Okada vs Devitt, great showing along with some shenanigans I sorta understood heh. What does "Bad Luck Fale" mean though? When did Davey Boy Smith Jr. get this good btw? Guess his mom was right after all.

Might watch more another day.
Glad you liked it. Keep going. It's only getting better with day 2. Smith is pretty decent and had a nice technical showcase going up against Shibata. He lacks charisma but it isn't as important for his role in New Japan where he can make up for that by flexing and growling.

The counting is done in English by the way. ;-)

I'm an almost through with the Amazing/Awesome Kong YouShoot. She was somewhat open with things and it was kind of funny and had a lot of gimmicks. If you are a Kong fan, I recommend purchasing it (or however you can watch it) otherwise you can skip it.

Not the best YouShoot and certainly not the worst.

Next up is the Timeline History of WCW in the year 2000. Probably a lot of "lemme be honest with ya" "I'll tell ya somethin" as with all Russo interviews.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
G1 Day 4 is on Youtube. Took today off work. Hot shit. Nagata vs Benjamin right now.

This Eva Marie shit on Total Divas suuuuucks. The rest is typical trashy reality show stuff, but she's so transparently a bad actress posing as a "new diva" it's ridiculous.

Edit: Fandango needs to drop the fake Spanish accent. His real voice is perfect for a foppy douche narcissist character, and he could go a lot farther if he wasn't JUST a ballroom dancer. Dude needs an IC or US title run soon if they wanna salvage the character.

Just watched last week's TNA Impact. Manik/Sabin was a GREAT TV match. How come I didn't see any praise for it on here? The counters, fluidity of moves, and general storytelling was really freaking good! One of the best TV matches I've seen so far this year.

Seconded, it was a great match! Styles/Aries was good too but really TITO overshadowed them with his excellent debut

After he jobbed to Christian the night after winning the contract, I thought it became patently obvious that they were just using Sandow as a means to get Rhodes over and had little intention of actually pulling the plug on a title reign for him. I'm very sad about that, as Sandow is just as good of an overall performer as Cody is an in-ring performer, and he'd be GREAT as a main event guy due to the versatility his well-developed gimmick allows, but after being Sheamus's personal bitch for months, I can't imagine he has the credibility for a title run at this point.

Briefcase holders jobbing doesn't really mean anything though. Plus ADR was Sheamus's bitch for like half of 2012 but he's the current WHC

Briefcase holders jobbing doesn't really mean anything though. Plus ADR was Sheamus's bitch for like half of 2012 but he's the current WHC

WWE has never seemed behind Sandow like del Rio, though, and Dolph had more of a following in the audience. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're really trying to book that Cody NEEDS to get back the briefcase that Sandow stole from him, and I'd be surprised if he didn't win it in a match.

Aiii

So not worth it
There is nobody called Manziel (ziel is dutch for soul) in football. You must be talking about handegg.

Mengetsu

Source: F4WOnline

Bill Goldberg appeared on WQAM radio in Miami this weekend and said he's open to returning to the ring. Goldberg is now 46 years old but said he keeps himself in shape. He said he's more open to returning now because his son watches his matches on YouTube. He mentioned wanting to come back as a heel and thinks Ryback is a total rip-off of him, but has no ill feelings towards him.

He's gonna do it for his son and take out the impostor Ryback at WMXXX book it!

Ryback will be a comedy act a la Tensai well before Wrestlemania.

Remember when Ryback, Tensei and Brodus Clay were all squashing jobbers on a weekly basis during the exact same time period? kind of fitting that even though Ryback's streak lasted the longest he's still looking to join his former counterparts.

Kaladin

Ryback is following the Monster Heel Cycle. Monster Heel Push -> Success as Heel (maybe gold) -> Feud with Cena -> Cena wins Feud -> Monster Heel turned into a Joke until they're needed again.

We've seen this with Big Show, Mark Henry, Great Khali......it's just how they do things.

Kaladin

1147016_10151675565308355_1484012507_o.jpg

That actually looks good.

Colonel

Neo Member
Ted Turner lost interest is not true! After the AOL time warner merger ted was booted from the board and they sold it. He wanted to keep WCW around but had no say in it once he was gone.

Top Bottom