• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_mr11qtC9XW1snh155o2_500.png

also i love if you go to Portia Perez's amazon wishlist, like most wrestling girls it's like heels and blu ray players and all this ridiculous shit. Portia's is lego sets.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bizarrely, they have someone announcing the wrestlers names in English in the arenas, but you won't hear it if the music is muted or the commentators are talking over it. As for the music, I guess they don't want to change the themes, especially for guys like Tenzan or Nagata who have had their themes for ages. It sucks for international viewers though, especially when they cut the audio the second the match finishes and you don't get to hear the crowd's reaction.

They could do with English commentary, but I'd personally like the option to switch between both - I can understand the need for background information on the wrestlers/matches/feuds, etc, but whoever they got to do it would have to be at least equal to the Japanese commentators in terms of their reactions. Striker would be pretty good, actually. He's always come across as very enthusiastic.

Putting the wrestler's names in English/romanji on the graphics seems like it should be easy enough and the only reason I can guess for them not having alredy done so is because they know the majority of people buying the shows will be the hardcore few already familiar with the rosters/storylines. That's definitely something they need to address though, as New Japan is on a roll, quality wise, right now and will be attracting new viewers. If you've got any questions about the wrestlers or some of the background storyline stuff going on, feel free to ask. There's a fair few New Japan fans here now, which gladdens my heart :)

Also, here's my G1 preview, which may help a bit; http://senorlariato.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/new-japan-23rd-g1-climax-tournament.html

Thanks for that url, that'll come in handy. It's just hard to get into, but that's with anything you jump in out of the blue. I can understand a word of japanese here and there but nowhere near enough to follow a conversation heh.

Really enjoying the matches though, that's good stuff. Thing is, I've started out, back in the early 90s, watching New Japan on Eurosport. I guess that goes for alot of wrestling fans over here in continental wrestling, it's how most of us got introduced to the stuff way before WWF and WCW began to gain popularity.

Aiii

So not worth it
This second ep of Total Divas was alot better than the first one. Especially now that I've accepted it's totally storylined. Like Fandango switching dancers every week. People popping for Brodus Clay and going wild as if someone they care about is coming out. And people like Layla, AJ and Kaitlyn just completely not existing at all (unless it's for storyline reasons like Layla being there to comfort a crying Naomi or something).

Aiii

So not worth it
Amazing gif.

These Japanese folks sure like their ice bags, don't they?

-edit: Well, now I'm in love with Hirooki Goto's theme, just amazing. It's a shame they mute out so many themes, as that would totally be how I'd decide who to root for in a match.

Amazing gif.

These Japanese folks sure like their ice bags, don't they?

-edit: Well, now I'm in love with Hirooki Goto's theme, just amazing. It's a shame they mute out so many themes, as that would totally be how I'd decide who to root for in a match.

Most of the themes are on youtube, I just queue them up ready for a PPV and then hit play when the specific match comes up, lol.

Really annoying that a lot of the classic themes are muted, like Liger's, Tenzan's & Kojima's;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCLHFffEgIM

Awesome, not the same without the crowd screaming "KO-JI-MA!!" though.

Striker

Nah, he royally fucked it up when he was performing live.
He had issues doing those promos at houseshows, I guess? Leave 99% of them to taped segments, something that worked. That along with his size and athleticism could've gotten him somewhere. Feels like he was one of the rare WCW/ECW guys who got brought over and had a new identity that wasn't terrible.

Speaking of which, the WWE encyclopedia on Youtube channel's had a lot of older PPV's up, mostly from 2005-2007. I can't believe how bad Raw was at that time, and how Smackdown was miles ahead. And that wasn't with Smackdown at its peak. Another thing that amazes me is the Great Khali debuted in early 2006, and he's still here to this day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thanks, can't count that high in Japanese though, they lose me at 12 heh.

Should be the exact same.

Hell, when Kojima wrestled Homicide in ROH he'd cheat on rope breaks and say 'I don't understand English' even though the count was the exact same in English and Japanese.

XenoRaven

I learned all the names by checking the card before and after every match. If you watch it on Ustream, it has the card right there on the same page. Not sure where to find it if you're watching on YouTube though.

Aiii

So not worth it
I really enjoyed G1, I guess my favorite match was Nagata vs Suzuki, that was an awesome match. As was Okada vs Devitt, great showing along with some shenanigans I sorta understood heh. What does "Bad Luck Fale" mean though? When did Davey Boy Smith Jr. get this good btw? Guess his mom was right after all.

Might watch more another day.

So who's the guy that Prince Devitt is "riding"?

Bad Luck Fale, he was a rugby player scouted by New Japan and made his debut in 2010. He's fine in the big man enforcer role, but still considered a 'young lion' (rookie wrestler) and isn't competent enough in the ring to get any kind of push on his own just yet.

Aiii said:
What does "Bad Luck Fale" mean though?

He was known as King Fale, but when he joined Devitt and turned heel, he changed his name to 'The Underboss' Bad Luck Fale.

Aiii said:
Might watch more another day.

Day's 2 & 4 are recommended, both were really great shows, but Day 4 could easily crack the top 5 shows of the year so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I always liked Nagata a lot, but he very well may be one of my favorites, bar none, by the end of the G1.

Nagata's done well so far, the Suzuki match was awesome (as you'd expect) and I enjoyed his match with Yano, but I think his most interesting matches are still to come - namely, Ibushi, Nakamura & Anderson.

Kojima's probably my MVP of the tournament so far - all of his matches have been very well put together, expertly paced and, unlike Tenzan, he's still got enough fire to go at the level needed in the G1. That match with Shibata was phenomenal and I think his match with Goto is being underrated by quite a few people, imo.

Kojima has been a revelation. havent really seen a lot oftenkoji matches.

Nagata has been a personal favorite of mine for years. guy makes better faces than yano

EXPLODAAAAAAAAA

Aiii

So not worth it
So, back to WWE.

With them pushing that Sandow's case is lost. They're gonna end up doing a (new) WHC Contract on a Pole match between Sandow and Cody at SummerSlam right?

They're not gonna take Sandow's title push away, are they?

XenoRaven

Had a friend who made fun of me for watching Japanese wrestling finally sit down and watch some with me. I'm pleased to say he seemed to really enjoy it.

We watched part of Day 2. Benjamin/Anderson, which wasn't that great. I was surprised to hear Benjamin get some cheers. Japan sure does hate Bullet Club. Then we watched Takahashi/Tenzan. He liked how outrageous Takahashi was. Next was Nagata/Yano. He enjoyed all the crazy faces and the sheer insanity of a Yano match. He started to get burned out at this point so he asked me to show him a match with my favorite guy. I was a little worried, because I didn't know who Suzuki was wrestling. When I saw it was Nakamura, I knew we were in for a good match. It left him with a really good impression of the type of wrestling you get with NJPW. I hope he watches the rest of the day, just so he can see that sick lariat from Kojima to Shibata.

Speaking of Shibata, I'm totally sold on this guy now. He had great matches with Goto, but it's hard to judge how good someone when he only wrestles one guy. His match with Kojima convinced me that he can have the same type of brutal and intense match with almost anyone on that roster. I get the impression that he enjoys working stiff, and that it ends up rubbing off on other people. Like Kojima went in there ready to put on a good match when Shibata just nails him with a stiff fucking elbow, wakes him up, and now they're basically just punching each other in the face. I have no idea if that's how it actually goes. I just feel like Shibata brings that level of intensity out of his opponent.

I have absolutely zero interest to see Ortiz, Rampage and King Mo take up screen time.

It's not like they'll have many matches, most of their time they'll be off TV training for Bellator anyways. I watch wrestling to watch wrestlers wrestle, oddly enough. Instead we get second rate MMA fighters, retirement age hasbeens. Various family members like Garrett Bischoff, Brooke Hogan and Wes Brisco that have neither the talent or skill to warrant a TV spot. And a bunch of WWE that are years past their prime or addicted to drugs and alcohol and in need of employement where they don't care if you show up pissed beynd belief.

Fuck this company, I hope they die soon so somebody more competent can get their TV deal.

The fuck? Spike aren't just going to pick up some random fucking indie and put them on TV. If TNA dies then they simply wouldn't replace it. There'd be less wrestling on TV and a lot of people out of work. Sounds like great news, right?

I'm not a big fan of TNA (though they were a LOT better than the WWE last year), as they always seem to fuck up when they do something well, mostly thanks to Russo/Bischoff/Hogan's idiocy. That said, it's still a good show if you just focus on the wrestling and I'm really happy I get to see a lot of guys on TV when they never would've in the WWE.

Ideally all my favourite WWE and TNA wrestlers wouldn't have to suffer through all their bullshit booking and would just be in NJPW but realistically, the more money and spots available, the better.

Me not having access to the G1 is so painful. This sounds like the event to end all events. And there's still so much more to go! Blugh, not spending the $150 was the biggest mistake I've made all year.

Depressed high five. I'm really disappointed I've missed out on the live shows. I guess I'm just going to have to slum it and try to justify it with a) NJPW fucked up hard by not making shows available separately and b) Up until now I've only missed two NJPW iPPVs.

Aiii

So not worth it
The fuck? Spike aren't just going to pick up some random fucking indie and put them on TV. If TNA dies then they simply wouldn't replace it. There'd be less wrestling on TV and a lot of people out of work. Sounds like great news, right?

I'm not a big fan of TNA (though they were a LOT better than the WWE last year), as they always seem to fuck up when they do something well, mostly thanks to Russo/Bischoff/Hogan's idiocy. That said, it's still a good show if you just focus on the wrestling and I'm really happy I get to see a lot of guys on TV when they never would've in the WWE.

Ideally all my favourite WWE and TNA wrestlers wouldn't have to suffer through all their bullshit booking and would just be in NJPW but realistically, the more money and spots available, the better.

I never said it was going to be TNA one week and random indy show the next week. But as long as TNA is around there won't be someone taking their spot. And somebody will, just like TNA took over when WCW died. They didn't do that overnight either, but there was a ton of capable staff and talent left over.

TNA has had plenty of chances to turn things around, but they never do. There's no scenario I can image where TNA is ever going to be and remain fun. Also, they were somewhat better for a few months last year. Then Claire Lynch happened, Aces and Eights happened, Aries lost the title to Hardy. Roode was depushed. James Storm is pretty much unrecoverable, etc.

I don't believe that if TNA were gone, all that talent would leave and never return. There will always be room for a second company on TV, but not as long as TNA is around and once again, I can't imagine TNA ever becoming good unless the whole senior staff is gone and replaced, including Dixie.

Penguin

So, back to WWE.

With them pushing that Sandow's case is lost. They're gonna end up doing a (new) WHC Contract on a Pole match between Sandow and Cody at SummerSlam right?

They're not gonna take Sandow's title push away, are they?

I mean... what's the rule?

I imagine he still has the contract... not like possession changes hands if someone else holds the case

They'll probably have a storyline with him asking for a new one or something.

I never said it was going to be TNA one week and random indy show the next week. But as long as TNA is around there won't be someone taking their spot. And somebody will, just like TNA took over when WCW died. They didn't do that overnight either, but there was a ton of capable staff and talent left over.

TNA has had plenty of chances to turn things around, but they never do. There's no scenario I can image where TNA is ever going to be and remain fun. Also, they were somewhat better for a few months last year. Then Claire Lynch happened, Aces and Eights happened, Aries lost the title to Hardy. Roode was depushed. James Storm is pretty much unrecoverable, etc.

I don't believe that if TNA were gone, all that talent would leave and never return. There will always be room for a second company on TV, but not as long as TNA is around and once again, I can't imagine TNA ever becoming good unless the whole senior staff is gone and replaced, including Dixie.

There is no modern day WCW, it died and the wrestling industry shrunk. TNA didn't replace them, they're nowhere near that big, they replaced ECW. The idea that the wrestling industry will stay the same size no matter what, with another promotion rising up to take TNA's place is completely absurd. Who exactly is going to pour the millions the promotion will need into it?

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe Viacom would.

Saying it's gotta be TNA or nothing is pointless, there's always an audience for wrestling. TNA is evidence of that as much as anything, given their flatline 1.0 rating.

Top Bottom