• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Any time Sheamus leaves for any period of time, I don't miss him at all and stop caring about him. Hopefully if he comes back, he'll actually be given something to make him interesting to me, not a bully I'll ignore or a Pokemon who can only say the same things over and over again. Something really needs to change when I enjoy Cena more than Sheamus.

Who's the short guy with the round glasses? I've seen him on tons of stuff over the years, I always like his style. *edit, on the right;

2fcPsK6.jpg

Liger was pretty great this year. No idea what he was saying, but you could tell he was super impressed with Ishii/Shibata. Same goes for Chono on day 1, I got a few translations and it was cool to see how much he was putting over Karl Anderson.

That is 柴田惣一/Shibata Soichi, the tie critic. He has to be one of the biggest fans of wrestling of all the sports writers over the years, simply loving all of it both professionally and personally, so he works with a lot of different groups. He even helps support the college professional wrestlers events in Tokyo that are just for fun.

Liger is big on talking about how natural moves should look and be executed by wrestlers, talking about what they do and what they should be used for. Chono is good for building up talent, trying to focus on how good they are (but only if they are good and he likes them skill wise) if they win or why it's impressive that someone just beat them.

So Boot, what's the story with Toru Yano pimping his DVD all the time?

Tōru was all excited for his new DVD, finally getting recognition and the chance for people to enjoy some of his favourite matches. He was laughed at saying it would sell well, so to make them eat their words made a promise to make it the best selling DVD. At least, that's the story.

In actual practice, he really just likes the idea of being in people's houses. One way or another.

Why does it seem like masked (or even facepainted) wrasslers are going extinct in Japan? It seems like the only guys wearing them over there are lucha gaijin.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
YTR and Iizuka would be the sort to revive the NJPW 'match' where they tore up somebody's house.
Why does it seem like masked (or even facepainted) wrasslers are going extinct in Japan? It seems like the only guys wearing them over there are lucha gaijin.
You'll notice in recent years that there are a WHOLE lot more female fans. Pretty much ever since KENTA and Tanahashi got big in the mid 2000s and now with good looking guys like Naito and Shinsuke and Okada.

That's why. Well that and masks are hot and take away any emotion you can do.

KenOD, why aren't you fansubbing this stuff? You'd make a killing....

....in positive comments from fans. Because you can't sell copyrighted material. That's a crime and Beef would go to the papers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That is 柴田惣一/Shibata Soichi, the tie critic. He has to be one of the biggest fans of wrestling of all the sports writers over the years, simply loving all of it both professionally and personally, so he works with a lot of different groups. He even helps support the college professional wrestlers events in Tokyo that are just for fun.

The next Dave Meltzer alt! All praise Soichi!

It's only gross if you remember he's singing about an underage girl.

No it's still gross when you remember it's Jerry Lawler.

You'll notice in recent years that there are a WHOLE lot more female fans. Pretty much ever since KENTA and Tanahashi got big in the mid 2000s and now with good looking guys like Naito and Shinsuke and Okada.

That's why. Well that and masks are hot and take away any emotion you can do.

I suppose that makes sense. But on the other hand that should mean they need an influx of inhuman monsters to put those pretty boys in peril.

Marvel

could never
Hopefully they take the time to retool the character. Sheamus is too entertaining a wrestler to be saddled with such an insufferable persona.

Couldn't agree more.

Wish him well, I'd like to see him come back as that nasty heel he once was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I desperately want Nagata to make the finals but I'm scared it won't happen. BLUE JUSTICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEU

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, been busy. I've only seen Days 1+2 so far.

Still, I'm a simple guy - I like my heroes wearing comic book masks and my villains to come out wearing giant iron goat skulls.

Prepare to be blown away by everything in Day 4. EVERYTHING.

Kaladin

You'll still get your Sheamus fix fella. He'll likely join Big Show and R-Truth in the WWE Sports Analysts segments on PPV.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Scared for Anderson vs Nagata. Anderson's gonna be such a dick. I want Nagata to triumph. The feelgood story of the year.

strobogo

Banned
Ziggler should immediately stop trying to be 1996 HBK. That character was terrible and annoying 17 years ago. It's really off putting and feels completely wrong for him, too. His character has always been asshole show off who was a straight up prick. Now he's a happy go lucky show off who just wants to have fuuuuuunnnn in the ring, guys, and he wants you to have fun, too!

It makes no sense to transition into that straight from the seriousness of the concussion angle. Actually, there wasn't even a transition at all. I had a similar issue with him suddenly having such a problem with AJ interfering, when he had no problems for 6 months before with her interfering in every match. But suddenly he's really against that and the next day he's a smiling baby face who wants to have fuuuuuuuunnnnn.

Maybe the concussion changed him?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ziggler should immediately stop trying to be 1996 HBK. That character was terrible and annoying 17 years ago. It's really off putting and feels completely wrong for him, too. His character has always been asshole show off who was a straight up prick. Now he's a happy go lucky show off who just wants to have fuuuuuunnnn in the ring, guys, and he wants you to have fun, too!

It makes no sense to transition into that straight from the seriousness of the concussion angle. Actually, there wasn't even a transition at all. I had a similar issue with him suddenly having such a problem with AJ interfering, when he had no problems for 6 months before with her interfering in every match. But suddenly he's really against that and the next day he's a smiling baby face who wants to have fuuuuuuuunnnnn.

This will change your life brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4#t=66m45s

Unless you watched it already.

Kaladin

Woah....big news on the MITB DVD/Blu-ray.

As we’ve reported previously, this will be a compilation of all Money in the Bank ladder matches that have taken place to date in WWE. We can now fully confirm that the first MITB match from 2005 is included in the DVD, and not shown in highlight form.

1st Ever Money in the Bank Ladder Match
Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Edge vs. Christian vs. Kane
WrestleMania · 21 April 3, 2005

The Blu-ray exclusive material on the Money in the Bank Anthology set will be “cash-ins” of the briefcase. At this time we can reveal two of those segments planned to be included.

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Jack Swagger cashes in on Chris Jericho
SmackDown · April 2, 2010

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Dolph Ziggler cashes in on Alberto Del Rio
Raw · April 8, 2013

“Straight to the Top: The Money in the Bank Anthology” hits stores on DVD and Blu-ray October 29th.

A Benoit match on a compilation in full....is this a first?

Also, I hope they have all of the cash-ins and just saved the meh ones for the blu-ray extras.

His transition will only be complete when he has God as his tag team partner.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Woah....big news on the MITB DVD/Blu-ray.

A Benoit match on a compilation in full....is this a first?

Also, I hope they have all of the cash-ins and just saved the meh ones for the blu-ray extras.

From what they say it sounds like all the cash-ins are reserved for blu.

His transition will only be complete when he has God as his tag team partner.

God is 0-1 in WWE though

XenoRaven

I always assumed there were no more masked wrestlers because Japan likes MMA guys.

I find it funny that Liger would fight in a mask.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Since there's a lack of masks in NJPW, all that means is that when a masked wrestler DOES show up, it'll be something special.

This will change your life brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4#t=66m45s

Unless you watched it already.

God, this is incredible. The hype from the crowd and the instant quick paced start already gives the match that "classic" vibe. Like, you know when you rewatched Punk/Cena from MITB 2011 the next day and realized how good it was? This match already has that.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't watched this, do so. Now. Even our resident WWE rep Aiii has seen the light. Save your soul with some wrestling ass wrestling.

Aiii

So not worth it
As always, the heels come off way more likeable in the feud than Ziggler does.

"AJ's Crazy" and "AJ cost me a title mathc" really aren't valid excuses for verbally being a complete and total dick to her. A babyface should be above that kind of stuff, take the high road and what not.

But this is the same creative team that thinks "heel takes a count-out loss" is a valid finish to a match that should be used once every other week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God, this is incredible. The hype from the crowd and the instant quick paced start already gives the match that "classic" vibe. Like, you know when you rewatched Punk/Cena from MITB 2011 the next day and realized how good it was? This match already has that.

I need to rewatch Punk/Cena from MITB - I remember it being good, but not like this. Maybe it holds up well!

I need to rewatch Punk/Cena from MITB - I remember it being good, but not like this. Maybe it holds up well!

It's not as good in ring, but that match is more about the feeling in that arena. The crowd is just absolutely on edge and ready to explode in ecstasy or frothing rage. It holds up very well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yknow, a point that's really driven home right now with the G1 going on that I really love about NJPW is the balance of power, and how CLOSE everyone seems to each others' level. I mean, look at WWE - they had R-Truth main event a PPV against Cena once. We knew how that would play out.

Instead, in the G1, you see champions getting beaten - Okada has lost to multiple contenders despite being the champion, and he's not suffering as a character at ALL. You have incredible matchups that can go any way - and every night is exciting because even a competitor like Yano can pull off an upset and it doesn't damage anyone.

Let's Pretend - WWE does a G1-style tournament. Are you even wondering who takes Block A if John Cena or Daniel Bryan is in it? Are you ever going to see Cena lose to a low blow and roll-up by Sweet T?

Yknow, a point that's really driven home right now with the G1 going on that I really love about NJPW is the balance of power, and how CLOSE everyone seems to each others' level. I mean, look at WWE - they had R-Truth main event a PPV against Cena once. We knew how that would play out.

Instead, in the G1, you see champions getting beaten - Okada has lost to multiple contenders despite being the champion, and he's not suffering as a character at ALL. You have incredible matchups that can go any way - and every night is exciting because even a competitor like Yano can pull off an upset and it doesn't damage anyone.

Let's Pretend - WWE does a G1-style tournament. Are you even wondering who takes Block A if John Cena or Daniel Bryan is in it? Are you ever going to see Cena lose to a low blow and roll-up by Sweet T?

yep hat has been my favirote part as well. no one is safe. makes for an more exicteingevent that way

Novid

Banned

Not really because they don't have the writers to do it as of yet. The issue is that they still looking for Hollywood writers (like Lindrof) when they need a good long term booker who can focus on a few stars and have his assistants have a plan for the others that don't insult the intelligence of the audience.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Triple H's discussion with Game Informer:

Game Informer said:
Triple H takes a deep breath. "As many of you know we have been focusing on bringing in new talent in the WWE, and our new Performance Center is proof of that. We've gone out of our way to sign some of the biggest independent names in wrestling, and this forward-facing strategy is going to be apparent in everything we do. Youth is in.

We have contracted Phil Fish from Polytron to develop WWE2k15 in conjunction with David Jaffe."

Top Bottom