• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Since there's a lack of masks in NJPW, all that means is that when a masked wrestler DOES show up, it'll be something special.

There are a couple of young masked wrestlers in New Japan, but they're still at an early level - firstly, BUSHI, who New Japan signed from AJPW last year and who is currently on a learning excursion to CMLL;

iQBQaJPjoFyPO.gif

Secondly, Kyosuke Mikami, a New Japan dojo student who was sent to CMLL and given a new identity as the masked demon Namajague (although, I think he since has lost an Luchas de Apuestas match and was unmasked, but hopefully he'll keep the gimmick for when he returns to New Japan);

ibq5gzXNtjaKyo.jpg

Sending guys over seas to learn. is another new Japan does that Isso great. It seems guys seem come back better than ever.

Like I have no idea how okada's TNA run turned him into the rainmaker but it seems to. like some sort of voodoo

Helping guys learn various styles could do wonders for wwe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sending guys over seas to learn. is another new Japan does that Isso great. It seems guys seem come back better than ever.

Like I have no idea how okada's TNA run turned him into the rainmaker but it seems to. like some sort of voodoo

Yeah the exchange of talent only helps both camps, really. Amazing stuff, and let's not forget Nakamura's brief foray over to Mexico which resulted in some bitchin-ass matches with La Sombra.

jred2k

Yknow, a point that's really driven home right now with the G1 going on that I really love about NJPW is the balance of power, and how CLOSE everyone seems to each others' level. I mean, look at WWE - they had R-Truth main event a PPV against Cena once. We knew how that would play out.

Instead, in the G1, you see champions getting beaten - Okada has lost to multiple contenders despite being the champion, and he's not suffering as a character at ALL. You have incredible matchups that can go any way - and every night is exciting because even a competitor like Yano can pull off an upset and it doesn't damage anyone.

Let's Pretend - WWE does a G1-style tournament. Are you even wondering who takes Block A if John Cena or Daniel Bryan is in it? Are you ever going to see Cena lose to a low blow and roll-up by Sweet T?

Yeah I've been thinking about that quite a bit lately, there is an overall lack of competitiveness in the WWE. Thats the main thing that keeps the midcard so dead. They don't make the time to push more than 2 or 3 guys at any time. When they finally do want to push someone it takes so much longer to make them seem credible because of it. There is currently no challenger for the US belt, the IC belt, or the tag belts. Its really weird right now, a lot of championship reigns are long, but they do nothing for the title holder because they defend the belts poorly.

If there was more of a systematic ranking system in place it would allow guys to have slow build-ups and fast builds. Its pretty crazy when you look at how large the roster is and what a small percentage of them actually get used.

A Benoit match on a compilation in full....is this a first?

Also, I hope they have all of the cash-ins and just saved the meh ones for the blu-ray extras.

Benoit was included in the Elimination chamber compilation courtesy of the 2005 NYR match, they clearly edited the commentary at points to remove any praise placed upon Benoit.

Benoit was included in the Elimination chamber compilation courtesy of the 2005 NYR match, they clearly edited the commentary at points to remove any praise placed upon Benoit.

I'd be cool with them doing this again for MITB. Or better yet - give me an audio option without commentary.

Jamie OD

I think the Rainmaker stuff was inspired by D'Angelo Dinero although every single thing about Okada's current run was planned by Gedo & Jado.

As always, the heels come off way more likeable in the feud than Ziggler does.

"AJ's Crazy" and "AJ cost me a title mathc" really aren't valid excuses for verbally being a complete and total dick to her. A babyface should be above that kind of stuff, take the high road and what not.

But this is the same creative team that thinks "heel takes a count-out loss" is a valid finish to a match that should be used once every other week.

Keep it up, and AJ just might go out with you!

Kaladin

So this picture came across my Facebook from WWE, in an article about stables of the past....

1098360_10151576546881443_1071838954_n.png

Raven looks like he gives fewer fucks than usual in this picture.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's the first SS card i've been moderately excited for since 2005 so clearly it's doing something right.

I might actually watch it. Ready to see tears from the Bryan fans. Cena's gonna win, guys.

however they're doing a great job setting the table if Bryan DOES win, right when beards are about to go out of style...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
So this picture came across my Facebook from WWE, in an article about stables of the past....

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1098360_10151576546881443_1071838954_n.png[IMG]

Raven looks like he gives fewer fucks than usual in this picture.[/QUOTE]

Remember when Raven had an amazing feud with DDP in WCW? Those were the days. Loved him and I was so pumped when I found out he was coming to WWE, it's a shame it didn't work out that well.

strobogo

Banned
I believe Raven was back on heroin or something at the end of his WCW run.

Raven vs DDP was really the ONLY time Raven was truly great.

Fixed that. ECW Raven doesn't hold up in the slightest. WWF/E Raven was a joke. TNA Raven was mostly a joke. WCW Raven was by far the best Raven.

Classic Match of the Day;

Stan Hansen vs Toshiaki Kawada - Champion Carnival Match - (AJPW 03/24/94)

Kawada would go on to win the 1994 Champion Carnival, but he made a particularly slow start to the tournament, picking up just 1 win in the first four days. Hansen, meanwhile, had 3 wins and has always posed a particularly large problem for Kawada. However, it becomes apparent that, this year, Kawada isn't taking any shit and gives as good as he gets from Hansen. At some point Stan just stops wrestling the man and tries to beat him into submission. Kawada has yet to defeat him in singles competition and is desperate to get the win, but in doing so he only makes Hansen even more mad and Stan goes to work, the viciousness of his attack proving just why they call him 'The Unsinkable Battleship'. Excellent work from Kawada as he goes after Stan's leg in this one, while Hansen sells Kawada's offence expertly. His look of surprise turned to anger is awesome and we see a different side of Hansen. Normally, he's as wild and crazy as they come, but it's times like this where's he's cooly calculating, indiscriminately vicious and totally pissed off that he's to be truly feared. Great finish.

id5UdXHnGXOCJ.gif

BKJest

I always assumed there were no more masked wrestlers because Japan likes MMA guys.

I find it funny that Liger would fight in a mask.
Liger fighting Suzuki in a mask and basically saying "Fuck it I have no chance anyway" while going straight for the Rolling Koppu Kick was fantastic.

I can get behind the idea of watching Shibata and Cesaro in a RINGS setting.

Just platinumed Vanquish a few minutes ago. Put off Challenge 4 & 6 for like 3 years. Fuck challenge 6 man, I was literally legit shook when I finally downed that fucking red Bogey, and my heart was beating like a motherfucker. Glad that's over with, been trying to beat it for the last two days.

In other news, I also platinumed DMC1 & DMC3 the last two weeks. This was a pretty productive summer break, if I do say so myself.

Also: Wrasslin is pretty fun.

Article on WWE.com about the Ribera Steakhouse;

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse

Liked this bit from Hansen, on the origins of the tradition of gaijin wrestlers heading out to Ribera;

"In Japan back in the late ’70s, early ’80s, steak was still foreign. It was very expensive. Just to get a normal steak was $20 or $30. Wrestlers had a hard time finding a place to eat fairly cheap and everybody loved steak coming from America. Bruiser Brody happened to find this place. He took me soon after he found it. Probably ’78 or ’79. The [owner] was a wrestling fan and became a bigger fan as more and more guys came to eat. He treated everybody really good. He gave us a few little discounts and would pile the food on for everybody. [The owner] became known as Ribera but I don’t know what his real name was."

Whenever Raven was quoting poetry, or just acting like some early 90s, punk, artistic, "too cool for school, hanging out behind the bleachers smoking a cig, not doing any schoolwork but can ace all the tests" grunge-bum, or whatever, he was cool with me. I liked that part of the gimmick.

The messy garbage matches? Not so much.

Just platinumed Vanquish a few minutes ago. Put off Challenge 4 & 6 for like 3 years. Fuck challenge 6 man, I was literally legit shook when I finally downed that fucking red Bogey, and my heart was beating like a motherfucker. Glad that's over with, been trying to beat it for the last two days.

In other news, I also platinumed DMC1 & DMC3 the last two weeks. This was a pretty productive summer break, if I do say so myself.

Also: Wrasslin is pretty fun.

You're hardcore, bruh. Those Vanquish challenges are crazy. *salute*

You're hardcore, bruh. Those Vanquish challenges are crazy. *salute*

Honestly the challenges aren't impossible by any means (still hard as fuck though). I'd say the biggest problem you'll face in the challenges is Round 5 of Challenge 4&6. Literally everything else the mode throws at you is pretty doable, but these two rounds is when the game turns the shit-dial up to 11; they really test your patience.

If you're interested in trying challenge 6 again, this is the guide that helped me formulate a general strategy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j9JcS_48MY

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Colorado Springs is looking pretty solid. I'd prefer Boulder, but I'm not finding any apartments under $700-800.

You can always hoof it to Oklahoma if you so desire. Warning: we don't have much here.

As always, the heels come off way more likeable in the feud than Ziggler does.

"AJ's Crazy" and "AJ cost me a title mathc" really aren't valid excuses for verbally being a complete and total dick to her. A babyface should be above that kind of stuff, take the high road and what not.

But this is the same creative team that thinks "heel takes a count-out loss" is a valid finish to a match that should be used once every other week.

Yeah he's not a likable babyface (so basically a typical wwe babyface) but AJ is totally not likable either

Article on WWE.com about the Ribera Steakhouse;

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse

Liked this bit from Hansen, on the origins of the tradition of gaijin wrestlers heading out to Ribera;

"In Japan back in the late ’70s, early ’80s, steak was still foreign. It was very expensive. Just to get a normal steak was $20 or $30. Wrestlers had a hard time finding a place to eat fairly cheap and everybody loved steak coming from America. Bruiser Brody happened to find this place. He took me soon after he found it. Probably ’78 or ’79. The [owner] was a wrestling fan and became a bigger fan as more and more guys came to eat. He treated everybody really good. He gave us a few little discounts and would pile the food on for everybody. [The owner] became known as Ribera but I don’t know what his real name was."

lol:

20130807_Ribera_Barrett_DelRio_Cabana_LIGHT_HOMEPAGE.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Moving from Indiana to Oklahoma seems like a pretty lateral move.

Depends on what you want to do. If "exist" is your goal you can do worse.

Or if you mean literally lateral, we're still south!

strobogo

Banned
Exist is basically the goal. But exist somewhere that isn't like Indiana. Oklahoma and Indiana are too similar. I might as well just stay here.

Kaladin

Exist is basically the goal. But exist somewhere that isn't like Indiana. Oklahoma and Indiana are too similar. I might as well just stay here.

South Florida....it's the most different place you'll find in the continental US.....it's also expensive.

Top Bottom