• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Love this, Buzz Sawyer's ranting about running off Dicky Murdoch & Dusty, only for The Dream to show up in person;

1LeQx9X.gif

Great reactions from Buzz, Gordon & Paul. Incidentally, watching this Georgia stuff has totally sold me on Buzz Sawyer. Fucking amazing character, awesome with Ellering as his manager.

But he wasn't a terrorist. He was a Muslim in the US after 9/11.

That was the genius part.

WWE had the chance to do some genuine social commentary on racism, Islamophobia, prejudice, and discrimination. Even bringing in the terrorist elements at the end could have been part of the story of how those issues can lead to radicalization. Alas, I think it was a little too high brow for wrestling in general. There was so much potential to do some legitimate storytelling that goes beyond the in ring stuff in a meaningful way.

klonere

Banned
WWE had the chance to do some genuine social commentary on racism, Islamophobia, prejudice, and discrimination. Even bringing in the terrorist elements at the end could have been part of the story of how those issues can lead to radicalization. Alas, I think it was a little too high brow for wrestling in general. There was so much potential to do some legitimate storytelling that goes beyond the in ring stuff in a meaningful way.

How about a group of people who work harder and produce better results than a certain other group of workers in the same industry except one group happens to be paid better and have more exposure in the mainstream through other channels. Group 1 comes to demand equal pay for arguably equal work and Group 2 isn't willing to let go of their easy time on top. They fight.

NXT Women invade Raw, no need for a certain female McMahon introducing them

the hand stomp spot was the best

just the build up and everything with the story telling of Bayley's hand and then the Bank Statement

Yeah that was excellent as well and the hand in the ring steps as well....man what a fucking match,

No we need Steve Austin to call them sand people because that gets a pop?!?!?

No we need Steve Austin to call them sand people because that gets a pop?!?!?

Wow I don't remember that. Did he really say that? Sadly, wrestling has never been a very progressive form of entertainment. And even as it tries to catch up, it's still so far behind. Wrestling was still doing slave angles into the late 80s and early 90s.

somedevil

Found this interesting from Meltzer:

NXT Takeover was the No. 2 trending topic in Japan on Twitter at one point. The Hardcore fans were really unhappy they couldn't see Finn Balor in the main event, since the show didn't air on TV in Japan and WWE network isn't legally available there. (thanks to Jose Gonzalez)

Sucks for them.

Fox318

Yeah that was excellent as well and the hand in the ring steps as well....man what a fucking match,

That match was fucking incredible live. Not one person was trying to hijack the show and everyone let the story take them in.

Even little fucking thing like Sasha draging Bayley in to stop the count. In WWE they just have the ref stand around like an idiot and wait for each planned spot.

NXT feels like a sport, it feels like a fight because of the fucking tiny things like them not overdoing the Dunn camera zoom.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new day will soon get the daniel bryan, wade barret treatment though, they have taken something which wasnt meant to get them over and they have made it get them over, sad really how wwe punishes people if they get over when they dont want them too

UberTag

Best thing in WWE right now.

Yes, better than Lesnar.
How could New Day not be better than Lesnar? He's lost two straight PPV main events. He might as well be Bray Wyatt or Dean Ambrose.

new day will soon get the daniel bryan, wade barret treatment though, they have taken something which wasnt meant to get them over and they have made it get them over, sad really how wwe punishes people if they get over when they dont want them too
Yep, they will face a harsh lesson soon enough. Perhaps Roman and Dean will win the tag titles tonight.

£100 for ringside, £30, £40 & £50 for other areas. Think I'll give it a skip if I can't get decent seats in the £50 or less range.
Wow is that expensive? How does it compare to Raw? I assume the main roster is performing there on the same tour to reduce costs.

Cena bringing his knees up early made me think he was going to counter it :/

Real Talk: Seth was the MVP of last night.
Yup he was great. Dude brought it big time, highly entertaining! Love his new ring gear too.

I cringe like fuck whenever Heyman does his singing. I feel like it's just me, though. Everyone else seems to be on board, but it's the most fucking wahjah thing.
I can't deal with it either Vince, can't understand why either. Doesn't help I don't know the source material maybe.

Stone Cold hates the springboard stunner

It looked pretty bad in the Cena match last night, just didn't line it up right. Not a fan of it. Cesaro had a good looking springboard move in the Owens match though, looks a lot better due to the continued momentum.

Paracelsus

How could New Day not be better than Lesnar? He's lost two straight PPV main events. He might as well be Bray Wyatt or Dean Ambrose.

Yep, they will face a harsh lesson soon enough. Perhaps Roman and Dean will win the tag titles tonight.

He lost half. One was a no-contest and the other was like WM13, a heel made a face pass out, except Hart did it clean, Taker cheated worse than when he was Big Ebil.

Fox318

So I'm watching this pre-show shit... lol. Funny how they treat everything 100% seriously.

They always do that and usually its annoying as shit because it sounds forced as fuck but they are doing a pretty good job on this.

I hope Sting comes out and talks about Nick Patrick

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow is that expensive? How does it compare to Raw? I assume the main roster is performing there on the same tour to reduce costs.

Cena bringing his knees up early made me think he was going to counter it :/

Yup he was great. Dude brought it big time, highly entertaining! Love his new ring gear too.

I can't deal with it either Vince, can't understand why either. Doesn't help I don't know the source material maybe.

It looked pretty bad in the Cena match last night, just didn't line it up right. Not a fan of it. Cesaro had a good looking springboard move in the Owens match though, looks a lot better due to the continued momentum.

They were trying so fucken hard to get that Battle Hymn of the Republic shit over but it was lame as shit.

They are in a starved division devoid of any real competition. Don't worry, their vine reference comedy and twerking will not hurt them.

So I'm watching this pre-show shit... lol. Funny how they treat everything 100% seriously.

Of course. It'd be pretty weird for them to do the pre-show over how fake it all is. The pre-shows are ultimately pointless, but are good for what they set out to be.

Knox

They are in a starved division devoid of any real competition. Don't worry, their vine reference comedy and twerking will not hurt them.

I think the main thing is people don't seem to be wanting them to move up the card like they did with Bryan and others. People enjoy them for where they're at, as far as I can tell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
These dudes in the preshow are awful. Why are they posting tweets asking for an investigation into last night's finish. Silly shit

Anyway, Heyman opens Raw this evening

He's gonna bitch a bunch about the finish and say his client is leaving because he's mad and then we don't see him again until Survivor Series, I bet.

Fox318

Did they ever have a skit where they talk about how a ref's decision can't be overturned despite the world seeing the move and the prevalence of video replay?

I think the main thing is people don't seem to be wanting them to move up the card like they did with Bryan and others. People enjoy them for where they're at, as far as I can tell.

I would like Big E to be in a better position. Don't care much for kofi or Xavier.

jett

D-Member
They always do that and usually its annoying as shit because it sounds forced as fuck but they are doing a pretty good job on this.

I hope Sting comes out and talks about Nick Patrick

Yeah it's funny.

Of course. It'd be pretty weird for them to do the pre-show over how fake it all is. The pre-shows are ultimately pointless, but are good for what they set out to be.

Yeah you're right

JTripper

He's gonna bitch a bunch about the finish and say his client is leaving because he's mad and then we don't see him again until Survivor Series, I bet.

Ugh, literally would be the worst possible narrative decision but it's entirely possible.

Last night's messy ending opens up a bunch of interesting story possibilities that unfortunately will be ignored.

Top Bottom