• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Heel Roman would be exactly the same. He would still have crowd popping face moves like the superman punch and rope dropkick.

In a world where Rollins breaks out the Phoenix Splash and Kevin Owens breaks out all manner of insanity - how would he be any different than any of the "loved" current main event heels?

I'm on board for his infatuation dance for
Eva Marie

tumblr_nnu3s7WTSO1tsqlmuo1_400.gif

Karl Anderson distracted for life from Maria is so funny. I burst out laughing every time I see that jif.

klonere

Banned
I actually agree with you Dream. The taped promos she did for her match with Sasha and for the piece on Balor came off as the best mic work I've seen from any of the women on the roster and made it really easy to empathise with her as a character. However all of her live stuff comes off as utterly forced.

In the ring she probably has one of the best approaches of anybody on the roster. She utilises good looking chain wrestling, suplexes and submissions in her moveset. Every piece of offence she does outside of the X-Pac leg drops focuses on her opponents arm to set up her finisher. She doesn't stoop to heel tactics but she'll hold on until the 4 count and push the rules to their limits because she wants to win. Her character should the reflect cool vicious technical expect that she is in the ring, not bubbly "Lass kicking" steampunk lady.

She needs to be able to transpose the emotion in the Balor piece into the show itself. Sadly I very much doubt she'll ever get any material close to the stuff on Finn.

Meltz thinks she could be the biggest star of the 4!

Fox318

Bryan Alverez and Meltzer complained that the crowd lighting was bad because lighting focused on the ring.

We I can spoil the pre-show and say that the matches before the special they had the lights on but when the special started they only lit the ring and I honestly think it made a difference to the atmosphere. People were less likely to chant stupid shit and it gave it a big fight feel.

I guess I find it hard to believe that a woman, who is a real life executive and majority owner of a publicly traded company, talking about going out to talk up the women has been revolutionary and changing the game could possibly be taken as a bad thing. There is no one better in the company to do such a thing.

I guess I find it hard to believe that a woman, who is a real life executive and majority owner of a publicly traded company, talking about going out to talk up the women has been revolutionary and changing the game could possibly taken as a bad thing. There is no one better in the company to do such a thing.

Out of the ring, great, wonderful.

In the ring as "her idea"? Takes the focus off where it should be, the women wrestlers, and on to her.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think they would turn Ambrose heel for an obvious reason - people would cheer Ambrose anyways.

People would react completely appropriately to Reigns being heel. The booking writes itself - the crowds treat him like shit, he should just say "fuck 'em" and be a jerkass. The only reason I could see this not being way better is due to Roman being a bad actor.

They'll cheer Ambrose unless you put him against, say, Cesaro or Owens or Ryback or Bryan or someone they like more.

Out of the ring, great, wonderful.

In the ring as "her idea"? Takes the focus off where it should be, the women wrestlers, and on to her.

But her on screen character, while a heel, still has the bottom line of what's best for business. And what's best for business is treating the women with respect and showing that they can wrestle and just aren't pretty faces. How is that not inline with her character, on screen and off? No one seemed to have much issue when HHH was the one talking up the women, or when Steph was there to announce the NXT Women's Championship.

Saying, "hey look, these women are awesome, isn't this so awesome" is putting the spotlight on the women that they didn't have before.

Sephzilla

But her on screen character, while a heel, still has the bottom line of what's best for business. And what's best for business is treating the women with respect and showing that they can wrestle and just aren't pretty faces. How is that not inline with her character, on screen and off? No one seemed to have much issue when HHH was the one talking up the women, or when Steph was there to announce the NXT Women's Championship.

Her on-screen character isn't actually about what's best for business.

Ithil

Saying, "hey look, these women are awesome, isn't this so awesome" is putting the spotlight on the women that they didn't have before.

She spends most of her on-screen time emasculating everyone.

Also, when she was there to announce the women's championship, that was in summer 2013, before she and HHH turned heel.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't think they would turn Ambrose heel for an obvious reason - people would cheer Ambrose anyways.

People would react completely appropriately to Reigns being heel. The booking writes itself - the crowds treat him like shit, he should just say "fuck 'em" and be a jerkass. The only reason I could see this not being way better is due to Roman being a bad actor.

Ambrose can run as a heel just like Rollins, Owens, Cesaro, Punk, and other internet darlings have had extended heel runs. Wrestling fans legit turn on guys at the drop of a hat anyway, it's not that hard.

Because her on-screen character isn't actually about what's best for business.

Yes, it is. Hence all those long periods of when people would complain that she was doing face stuff or booking Rollins in matches that didn't protect him. Ultimately, The Authority, especially post WM31, have shown they'll screw around with their own stable if they think it will help business.

She spends most of her on-screen time emasculating everyone.

Also, when she was there to announce the women's championship, that was in summer 2013, before she and HHH turned heel.

Has she emasculated any of the NXT Divas? I don't watch Raw every week, but I don't remember any uproar over he telling Sasha to sit down and shut up or anything.

Sephzilla

Yes, it is. Hence all those long periods of when people would complain that she was doing face stuff or booking Rollins in matches that didn't protect him. Ultimately, The Authority, especially post WM31, have shown they'll screw around with their own stable if they think it will help business.

You realize the entire "best for business" angle started when they were trying to suppress the most over face at the time and the "best for business" slogan was a catch phrase for heel heat because everything they were doing was in fact bad for business?

Ithil

You mean the Authority has been inconsistently written with poorly defined motives?

You realize the entire "best for business" angle started when they were trying to suppress the most over face at the time and the "best for business" slogan was a catch phrase for heel heat because everything they were doing was in fact bad for business?

Yes. That's why I made a point about how after WM31 in particular they've actually done the best for business stuff without the wink wink irony. And really, for most of 2014 after Bryan got hurt as well.

Never thought I'd see the day where people legitimately chanted for New Day

For real. I was even in the group that was depressed at their debut. They even lost their first match. And debuted on fuckin' Smackdown. DEATH.

But New Day is living proof that it's the person that makes the gimmick. Take what you get and own that shit. It doesn't matter how shit your gimmick is, if you're good, the crowd will take to you.

Fox318

I guess I find it hard to believe that a woman, who is a real life executive and majority owner of a publicly traded company, talking about going out to talk up the women has been revolutionary and changing the game could possibly taken as a bad thing. There is no one better in the company to do such a thing.

http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/top-15-revelations-from-the-attitude-era-book/9/

There are many crazy stories as to how certain WWE superstars have lost their title but Trish Stratus had a very unique one – the kiss of death. Stephanie McMahon wanted Trish to crawl on Torrie Wilson in a Smackdown segment and kiss her. Trish was fine with this except for the fact that she felt it didn’t make sense for her character at the time. She insisted she’d kiss Wilson on the cheek but that wasn’t enough as Stacy Keibler was eventually chosen for the role. The next week on RAW, Stratus found herself losing her title to Jazz in a clean defeat.

“So, was I being punished? Who knows? I was never told that’s why I lost, but it was a little strange that WrestleMania in my hometown of Toronto was coming up, and all of a sudden, I wasn’t going in as champion.”

Trish eventually got the title back but still stands by her decision even today.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/wwe-aj-lee-stephanie-mcmahon-give-divas-a-chance

hzzVyjh.png

Steph has a history of being in creative and obviously with her father as the CEO. To say that she deserves credit for this womens revolution when guys like John Laurinaitis were running talent relations is a joke.

The people who deserve credit are:

Triple H for hiring the coaches and building the facility to give these women a platform
Regal for scouting them
The NXT coaches most notably Dusty and Sarah Del Rey
and most importantly the women themselves for not falling in line for what a Diva was supposed to be.

9pBlmxg.png

Now that I have a network subscription, is there anything I can watch with New Day's best work, I couldn't believe how entertaining they were last night.

Sephzilla

http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/top-15-revelations-from-the-attitude-era-book/9/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/wwe-aj-lee-stephanie-mcmahon-give-divas-a-chance

hzzVyjh.png

Steph has a history of being in creative and obviously with her father as the CEO. To say that she deserves credit for this womens revolution when guys like John Laurinaitis were running talent relations is a joke.

Triple H for hiring the coaches and building the facility to give these women a platform
Regal for scouting them
and most importantly the women themselves for not falling in line for what a Diva was supposed to be.

9pBlmxg.png

BzrRqcu.gif

Fox318

Now that I have a network subscription, is there anything I can watch with New Day's best work, I couldn't believe how entertaining they were last night.

Honestly watch the Royal Rumble pre-show just to see how far they have come. Philly crowd fucking HAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEDDD them.

Anything they did with Cesaro and Kidd (Extreme Rules '15, Payback)

The rest of the promo work you could probably see on youtube instead of the network.

hzzVyjh.png

Regal for scouting them

9pBlmxg.png

Nowhere have I said she deserves credit for any of the women stuff. I said I see no way that her talking the divas revolution up can be seen as a bad thing. It's bizarre that people are mad at Stephanie the real person for stuff Stephanie the character is saying. And she's not even taking credit for the women. She puts them over constantly as pioneers and incredible wrestlers.

Sephzilla

Nowhere have I said she deserves credit for any of the women stuff. I said I see no way that her talking the divas revolution up can be seen as a bad thing. It's bizarre that people are mad at Stephanie the real person for stuff Stephanie the character is saying. And she's not even taking credit for the women. She puts them over constantly as pioneers and incredible wrestlers.

IIRC her TV character has taken credit for calling them up

The match they had at this year's Extreme Rules was fantastic.

Honestly watch the Royal Rumble pre-show just to see how far they have come. Philly crowd fucking HAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEDDD them.

Anything they did with Cesaro and Kidd (Extreme Rules '15, Payback)

The rest of the promo work you could probably see on youtube instead of the network.
Thanks guys. I remember how disappointed I was when they weren't the Nation 2.0 but they are amazing right now.

IIRC her TV character has taken credit for calling them up

Yeah...who else would call them up on TV besides her and HHH? They're the bosses. Of course they'd be the ones who would call up NXT talent. Wrestlers just don't show up. The authority figures (literally The Authority) are responsible for such things on the TV show. I fail to see how that is taking credit for anything they're doing. HHH takes credit for signing Brock Lesnar on screen.

Ithil

Yeah...who else would call them up on TV besides her and HHH? They're the bosses. Of course they'd be the ones who would call up NXT talent. Wrestlers just don't show up. The authority figures (literally The Authority) are responsible for such things on the TV show. I fail to see how that is taking credit for anything they're doing. HHH takes credit for signing Brock Lesnar on screen.

"Wrestlers don't just show up"?

Fox318

Thanks guys. I remember how disappointed I was when they weren't the Nation 2.0 but they are amazing right now.

I might also recomend the Y2J podcast with them on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFAE1m7kz4

http://www.podcastone.com/Talk-Is-Jericho

The guys talk how they didn't want to be just another group of angry black guys and that they really really wanted younger kids to look at them and think "see I could do that if I wanted to" that they wouldn't be held back because they weren't white.

They told Vince that they didn't want to be typecasted as some sort of black stable then Vince comes up to them and says they should be a bunch of preachers.

They've managed to do what Austin has always said you have to do to make it : turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Now they are only truly over tag team on the main roster.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The open world game in a desert vs the open world game in a desert next week.

I don't get the appeal of the settings of either one. And I love Mad Max as a movie.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Within the confines of the show, of course not. They're athletes signed to contracts. NBA and NFL wouldn't just let a random player on their field of play, either.

...that's exactly how every wrestler shows up though.

I'm not saying it wasn't part of a gimmick to explain why a bunch of random new wrestlers show up at once, but wrestlers just "show up" all the time.

Top Bottom