• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Well I don't know what wrestling you've been watching all your life.

When is the last time in WWE that someone just showed up and was portrayed as someone who doesn't work there? Anyone on the show has to be a contracted athlete. Just because not everyone gets their signing brought up on screen doesn't mean it isn't implicitly implied. They aren't random bums off the street. You're telling me that Kane debuted in full spandex and was working for free? Of course not.

When is the last time in WWE that someone just showed up and was portrayed as someone who doesn't work there? Anyone on the show has to be a contracted athlete. Just because not everyone gets their signing brought up on screen doesn't mean it isn't implicitly implied. They aren't random bums off the street. You're telling me that Kane debuted in full spandex and was working for free? Of course not.

STANG

Ithil

Blue Pants, two days ago.

Fox318

"Fuck you, Philly"

h1r7q.gif

The people that night who got the worst boos was New Day and Roman Reigns

Now New Day is over as fuck.

I just wish they would work traditional tag matches instead of the spotfest 4 ways.

Yes. And he was a vigilante.

Blue Pants, two days ago.

She has worked for them, though. She's been booked on shows to wrestle. And even then, Corey Graves pointed out how ridiculous it was that she was allowed to be there at all, not being a contracted employee and all. He pointed out exactly what I'm talking about.

People doing run ins or debuting out of the blue doesn't imply they don't work there.

Sting, John Cena after being fired, Austin after being fired, Matt Hardy after being actually fired, I could go on.

Austin and Hardy were also arrested when they showed up after being fired.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Kevin Owens

literally the last guy to show up

Aiii

So not worth it
You know Who I feel bad for? Natalya.

Tamina, Fox, Naomi, the Bella's all deserve way less to get a spot in this "divas revolution" business. I know she is not the youngest, but she damn sure is a better worker than any of those five.

Got caught up in the weekend's stuff.

NXT Women's Championship match was incredible. If they allowed anything even half that intense on RAW the confidence in the "revolution" would go through the roof.
Jon Stewart actually did incredible considering this isn't his business. Fine promos, good improvising, played to that specific crowd.
New Day act so well. Too well. It's a shame they caught on big at the same time as PTP's reign since they're also a blast.
The Ambrose vs Reigns dichotomy was amusing to watch.
Stewart's explanation is going to have to be interesting. His son idolizes Cena.
Diva's 9-woman match was sigh and the crowd sounded dead, likely because most all of them had seen the previous night's championship match (in person or online). At least the Bellas didn't win!

The hell with Undertaker? On top of the awful booking it wasn't even executed well during the confusion. There was no announcement that match was restarting/continuing and I was assuming whatever happened during that time wouldn't count. Even the announce team was confused as hell and were all calling out different things. And the ref calls for the bell on Lesnar without a hand drop 3 count because screw those only rest holds get them or something. Plus no replays because those only happen when Teddy Long is present. So, so awful.

Unless the obvious future match is a heavy gimmick like Buried Alive there's no reason for it. Actually, please book that. It's at least -extremely- definitive. This also leaves a huge question mark on what's next for Brock, who's a big PPV draw and someone Vince paid a ton of money to to keep around. Also don't know what the plan is for the US title since Cena elevated it a lot. Might have Sheamus cheese with a cash-in and then Rollins holds it for awhile.

Kevin Owens

literally the last guy to show up

What, we're pretending that Kevin Owens, dude who had 2 months of hype videos and was the NXT Champion, was not a WWE employee when he showed up on Raw? I'm talking guys showing up who are portrayed as not working for WWE. Sting and somewhat Blue Pants are it for years.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The shocking debut of a man with a fully prepared theme and a titantron while holding a wwe championship.

That's...the point?

He's complaining that the girls needed someone to introduce them, despite the fact that all of them are NXT employees.

What, we're pretending that Kevin Owens, dude who had 2 months of hype videos and was the NXT Champion, was not a WWE employee when he showed up on Raw? I'm talking guys showing up who are portrayed as not working for WWE. Sting and somewhat Blue Pants are it for years.
You literally just complained that Stephanie needed to introduce the the three new wrestlers, all of which were NXT fixtures, not to mention Sasha Banks was the reigning champ and Charlotte was the former champ.

I'm really failing to understand why every wrasslin' opinion you have is just randomly disagreeing with completely obvious normal things.

Fox318

Tamina, Fox, Naomi, the Bella's all deserve way less to get a spot in this "divas revolution" business. I know she is not the youngest, but she damn sure is a better worker than any of those five.

She still works house shows, media, and the reality show.

I can't find the link but she had an interview for summerslam where she said they don't have plans for her right now as they are trying to get the teams over.

I can't believe I'm hearing someone claim that wrestlers never just show up unannounced and unexplained.

In the confines of the pro wrestling show that The Authority run, anyone wrestling is a contracted employee. People showing up with out hype does not mean they are not contracted employees. Otherwise, they would not be on the show, or at least, arrested. Even the example of Sting and Blue Pants had entrance music and videos lined up for them, so it would follow that, within the context of this show about contracted athletes performing in actual contests, they would have been hired by someone. They don't just jump into the show, because they can't even get in unless they work there.

In the past, before authority figures, did you think that guys were working for free and weren't paid, contracted athletes unless otherwise stated?

That's...the point?

He's complaining that the girls needed someone to introduce them, despite the fact that all of them are NXT employees.

You literally just complained that Stephanie needed to introduce the the three new wrestlers, all of which were NXT fixtures, not to mention Sasha Banks was the reigning champ and Charlotte was the former champ.

I'm really failing to understand why every wrasslin' opinion you have is just randomly disagreeing with completely obvious normal things.

Where did I complain about Stephanie? I'm doing the exact opposite, saying I can't believe people are complaining about Stephanie introducing them. Literally the exact opposite of what you're saying I complained about.

Ithil

In the confines of the pro wrestling show that The Authority run, anyone wrestling is a contracted employee. People showing up with out hype does not mean they are not contracted employees. Otherwise, they would not be on the show, or at least, arrested. Even the example of Sting and Blue Pants had entrance music and videos lined up for them, so it would follow that, within the context of this show about contracted athletes performing in actual contests, they would have been hired by someone. They don't just jump into the show, because they can't even get in unless they work there.

In the past, before authority figures, did you think that guys were working for free and weren't paid, contracted athletes unless otherwise stated?

What part of this correlates with Charlotte, Sasha and Becky apparently having to be introduced by an authority figure?
As pointed out, Kevin Owens wasn't introduced by Stephanie, he just showed up on RAW one week and that was that.

klonere

Banned

MYGRX.jpg

What part of this correlates with Charlotte, Sasha and Becky apparently having to be introduced by an authority figure?
As pointed out, Kevin Owens wasn't introduced by Stephanie, he just showed up on RAW one week and that was that.

They didn't have to. But she did. And it is in no way a negative thing for the most powerful woman in the most powerful wrestling company to be talking up how great the women are, despite people thinking it is somehow her taking personal credit for their work.

Just like HHH did when Brock re-signed, or when Teddy Long signed MVP, or all the announcements about what Japan/Indie guy has signed and is coming to NXT/WWE. Just because those got announcements doesn't mean that Bull Dempsy didn't get signed.

They didn't have to. But she did. And it is in no way a negative thing for the most powerful woman in the most powerful wrestling company to be talking up how great the women are, despite people thinking it is somehow her taking personal credit for their work.

Just like HHH did when Brock re-signed, or when Teddy Long signed MVP, or all the announcements about what Japan/Indie guy has signed and is coming to NXT/WWE. Just because those got announcements doesn't mean that Bull Dempsy didn't get signed.
But the point is they have their own motivations for their actions and agency, THEY DON'T ALL GET FUCKING INTRODUCED BY THE PERSON IN CHARGE AS LOOK AT THIS AMAZING NEW PERSON I SIGNED IT WAS MY IDEA NOW EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL

But the point is they have their own motivations for their actions and agency, THEY DON'T ALL GET FUCKING INTRODUCED BY THE PERSON IN CHARGE AS LOOK AT THIS AMAZING NEW PERSON I SIGNED IT WAS MY IDEA NOW EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL

All the top guys in NXT did. Besides Sami, who just showed up to work with no hype. Everyone else got the big "look at this amazing new person I signed" segment and hype. Itami, Balor, Owens, and now Crews. What separates Regal doing that with them, and Stephanie doing that with the women? In fact, Charlotte had the same thing happen on NXT even when she was an unknown.

All the top guys in NXT did. Besides Sami, who just showed up to work with no hype. Everyone else got the big "look at this amazing new person I signed" segment and hype. Itami, Balor, Owens, and now Crews.

Were they personally introduced to the ring and ordered into sides of a feud by Triple H? No? Then it's not the same fucking thing.

Were they personally introduced to the ring and ordered into sides of a feud by Triple H? No? Then it's not the same fucking thing.

Regal has had the same segments with those four in NXT and not a single person was upset about it. No one was upset when HHH had the same thing with Brock in the middle of the ring. No one was upset when Teddy Long did it with MVP. Or any other of the many times in history such a thing has happened. How is Stephanie doing it somehow the most terrible and offensive thing? I've literally never seen anyone upset by a "we just signed this person/we'd like to introduce you to" segment and I've been watching for over 30 years. All until this Stephanie segment.

Angry Grimace

Every division needs jobbers.

Angry Grimace

Hey when I was a kid, new wrestlers would just randomly show up and beat the everloving shit out of a completely random jobber, who never was given any kind of introduction either. He was just some guy.

Top Bottom