• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Speaking of Destiny mistakes, someone stop me... I might preorder Taken King...

And be taken for a ride. A fool and his money...
Don't do it brother.

I love wrestling, but my viewing habits went to shit after I bought that game. I miss all the wrestling I used to watch. I have so much to catch up on. And I went from a fairly active poster in wrasslegaf to barely posting once or twice a week.....not that I ever contributed anything, but still!

I'm sure you aren't as weak willed as me though, so you'll survive.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think Paul Heyman should have rung the bell.

That would've worked.

It's the same bullshit they always do. 'SOMEONE' rings the bell, but they never make it into a mystery or pay it off. Heyman rings the bell, ref calls BS, Taker wins at least accomplishes something. At least the WWE Network being 9.99 means I'm annoyed, rather than furious - if I'd paid £15 solely for SS...

JavyOO7

NXT included? I'll bite;

10. Bayley
09. Adrian Neville
08. Sheamus
07. Dean Ambrose
06. Sasha Banks
05. Finn Balor
04. Randy Orton
03. Big E Langston
02. Seth Rollins
01. Antonio Cesaro

Also really like Simon Gotch, dude's improving a lot.

Gotch is great but I feel bad for Aiden English. He's improving I feel... but every time I see him out there, it seems like the crowd overwhelmingly favors Gotch over him. Kinda feel bad for English...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm outta that R. Mika thread. It's getting way too fucking gross for me, and I have a high tolerance.

klonere

Banned
Gotch is great but I feel bad for Aiden English. He's improving I feel... but every time I see him out there, it seems like the crowd overwhelmingly favors Gotch over him. Kinda feel bad for English...

There's always space in the WWE for a tall, incredibly ripped, somewhat charismatic white dude. English will do fine.

DeathyBoy

Banned
There's always space in the WWE for a tall, incredibly ripped, somewhat charismatic white dude. English will do fine.

I'm the opposite. First time I ever watched NXT and English came across as a star. Gotch is a better worker, but lacks the IT factor. Both'll have fine careers, I just see English headlining Mania's.

undertaker IS too old, that's clear, but that match at summerslam showed that yeah, he can still go when absolutely necessary. he's never been the best guy in the ring, and i know a lot of people will disagree with me on that, but when he's on as he can get like he was at summerslam then yeah he will be a component of a good match

the brock taker match was better than i expected until that disaster finish, which isn't about the guys in the ring, it's just booking. i've accepted we need to get this feud completed before brock gets the title back again. let's do it, and i hope it's a survivor series rematch rather than dragging/waiting until wrestlemania.

tumblr_mwspd0GrpX1syma7ko1_400_zps6c9846d4.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Things I wanted to mention. These NXT women matches are really some of the first times in recent memory where I watch the match for simply being a wrestling match.

Dudes are dudes, and sometimes it's impossible to take away the sexualization of women in wrestling, but somehow..they've done it. And sure, some guy might joke about how maybe these girls aren't "good looking enough" or whatever, but fans finally care in a serious manner.

It's not just about looking at Trish's bottom, as nice as it is, or whatever. I don't know, it's progress. And hopefully we can keep going down that route.

You can't ever take the attraction completely away, sexually, but it's headed in the right direction.

Plus; being badass makes them even more attractive (at least to me). I went from "hey, Bayley's kind of adorable" to "holy crap she's attractive" just based on watching her character and her matches.

It's also worth mentioning that many women like looking sexy because it makes them feel empowered / boosts their self-esteem. So I try not to jump on whether a particular outfit is demeaning / sexualizing in a bad way until I find out what the person who is actually wearing it has to say.

Not the best analogy - but I think of a guy who has worn t-shirts to the beach all his life because he had a gut / didn't feel comfortable without a shirt. So he spends a whole year working out, eating right, etc, and gets comfortable with himself, and decides to go out on the beach without a t-shirt. For random observers, he could be merely sexualizing himself - but for him, it's a way to congratulate himself for a lot of hard work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bronx-Man, we will miss you. Godspeed, pal. Glad you got past that Junior status a couple days ago.

Fuck, I'm next, aren't I.

Things I wanted to mention. These NXT women matches are really some of the first times in recent memory where I watch the match for simply being a wrestling match.

Dudes are dudes, and sometimes it's impossible to take away the sexualization of women in wrestling, but somehow..they've done it. And sure, some guy might joke about how maybe these girls aren't "good looking enough" or whatever, but fans finally care in a serious manner.

It's not just about looking at Trish's bottom, as nice as it is, or whatever. I don't know, it's progress. And hopefully we can keep going down that route.

You can't ever take the attraction completely away, sexually, but it's headed in the right direction.

good and honest post

Basically just dont gimmick post out in the wild like Bronx did. We all know the general feel of this thread and the humor that comes along with it, which is why we can heel out on each other. We're all in on it. But when you go into OT or gaming, people don't catch it. Also, Bronx is definitely someone's alt, so who knows if he's gone for good or not if they find out.

¡HarlequinPanic!;176734369 said:
bronx got over eager.

if freck can make his way back so many times, so can he.

you boys stay out of trouble, now.

Hey now, I've been on my best damn behavior!

just want to add to a post about the women's division at the bottom of the previous page

the sexualisation of the women - yes, it's unavoidable and we are dealing with a situation where one of the main factors about these women getting a stage is that they are hot. that's not true for the men, who don't need to be hot, but they all are very physically fit unless you're a fat type.

that's part of the show and it's okay, i think, in the end. we want to see good looking people doing cool shit, that's why we watch. for us guys, you can have ugly ass men with good characters and we're into that, but with the women we haven't been into ugly women and honestly wwe is never going to do that. that's one thing they'll never do.

but i also want to point out that like the previous poster said, i love watching all good wrestling, but when i see women (who are all hot sure) do good wrestling, i suddenly become a big fan on a different level and it isn't to do with sexuality. it's difficult in our male focused culture to even talk about, but 'the boss' sasha banks stuff is almost as thrilling as brock lesnar to me at this point. it's just great entertainment and i just wish the wwe would realise that this is the way to go with the women's division rather than just throw in some good in ring work held back by their previous baby doll division who they are yet to eject, while still maintaining this idiotic 'divas' stuff and reality show nonsense. just take them seriously and then the fans will, and you'll have a whole other gender of great wrestling matches and storylines.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
just want to add to a post about the women's division at the bottom of the previous page

the sexualisation of the women - yes, it's unavoidable and we are dealing with a situation where one of the main factors about these women getting a stage is that they are hot. that's not true for the men, who don't need to be hot, but they all are very physically fit unless you're a fat type.

that's part of the show and it's okay, i think, in the end. we want to see good looking people doing cool shit, that's why we watch. for us guys, you can have ugly ass men with good characters and we're into that, but with the women we haven't been into ugly women and honestly wwe is never going to do that. that's one thing they'll never do.

but i also want to point out that like the previous poster said, i love watching all good wrestling, but when i see women (who are all hot sure) do good wrestling, i suddenly become a big fan on a different level and it isn't to do with sexuality. it's difficult in our male focused culture to even talk about, but 'the boss' sasha banks stuff is almost as thrilling as brock lesnar to me at this point. it's just great entertainment and i just wish the wwe would realise that this is the way to go with the women's division rather than just throw in some good in ring work held back by their previous baby doll division who they are yet to eject, while still maintaining this idiotic 'divas' stuff and reality show nonsense. just take them seriously and then the fans will, and you'll have a whole other gender of great wrestling matches and storylines.

Indeed. I'm enjoying the women's matches on both the main roster and NXT (the main roster has gotten WAAAAAAAAAY better compared to 3-4 years ago); and more as legit competitions rather than functional T&A. Before they were bathroom breaks to me; now I want Bayley vs Sasha 2 at WM 32.

but i also want to point out that like the previous poster said, i love watching all good wrestling, but when i see women (who are all hot sure) do good wrestling, i suddenly become a big fan on a different level and it isn't to do with sexuality. it's difficult in our male focused culture to even talk about, but 'the boss' sasha banks stuff is almost as thrilling as brock lesnar to me at this point. it's just great entertainment and i just wish the wwe would realise that this is the way to go with the women's division rather than just throw in some good in ring work held back by their previous baby doll division who they are yet to eject.

Wrestling is something that is built heavily around looks and not to mention it having a predominantly male viewership as well as those running things. Not to mention it's human to find other beings, especially those in the limelight to be attractive. There are a lot of women who are attracted to these guys. Hell, just the past weekend, there was a girl with that "Face Fuck Me Finn" sign at Takeover.

For me, as a straight male, I look up to a lot of the males in wrestling in terms of inspiration for fitness and athleticism. There are plenty of lookers there as well. For the women, being a straight male, I am attracted to quite a few of them. But for the most part, that's extremely secondary to the talent of the women. During Sasha/Bayley's match, I wasn't thinking about how hot they were or furiously masturbating, I was enjoying a really good match from two women who I find attractive. That's it.

Western wrestling, WWE mostly, had put themselves in a position for a long time with the women's division where they were simply trophies to be gawked at and brought out for bra and panties matches and used as prizes for the men. They're feeling that now as they try to tone down the sex appeal aspect and focus more on the entertainment/wrestling part of things. Just as there is with the men. There is sex appeal there, but it's not the focus. And it'll take a while for the general audience to shift that way of thinking about the women as well.

Selling someone on a performer based on their look, be it because they're attractive, ugly or badass, is a key thing in professional wrestling and is damn near unavoidable. And women are going to have to deal with it a lot more due to the fact that WWE had marketed them towards a lot of people as sexual objects for such a long period of time.

RP912

Banned
Wrasslegaf should have a draft for it's upcoming branch dedicated to TNA :). I'm still disappointed that TNAugust wasn't a thing.

Top Bottom