• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hey WrassleGAF. I lurk here a lot but I'm always too afraid to post. I posted here once a couple years ago but got met with a sarcastic CM Punk gif. So I quieted and have simply watched from the shadows ever since. But never give up. I shall post now in the hope for acceptance. Please be kind.

Bought tickets to NXT Takeover London this morning. This will be the first WWE event I've ever been to. Super pumped.

Hey WrassleGAF. I lurk here a lot but I'm always too afraid to post. I posted here once a couple years ago but got met with a sarcastic CM Punk gif. So I quieted and have simply watched from the shadows ever since. But never give up. I shall post now in the hope for acceptance. Please be kind.

Bought tickets to NXT Takeover London this morning. This will be the first WWE event I've ever been to. Super pumped.

Welcome (back) friend

jred2k

If you leave now you'll look like this.

1353990151497.gif

3dnLiMB.gif

Welcome!

Aiii

So not worth it

giphy.gif

should be a fun show! enjoy it live, muchacho!

Forkball

Mexican, short, Mexican, masks, Mexican.

Take your pick.

Rey Mysterio was all of those things and he made money. Aren't they basically trying to find the next Rey Mysterio, especially in terms of merch sales? Kalisto is very different from anyone on the roster and he's got a MASK. A MASK THEY COULD SELL. WWE always does this with the tag division. They will build it up and have an amazing list of contenders for about a month, then completely ignore or break up most of them.

Goddamnit DiscoJon

LMAO

I wouldn't even be surprised.

Rey Mysterio was all of those things and he made money. Aren't they basically trying to find the next Rey Mysterio, especially in terms of merch sales? Kalisto is very different from anyone on the roster and he's got a MASK. A MASK THEY COULD SELL. WWE always does this with the tag division. They will build it up and have an amazing list of contenders for about a month, then completely ignore or break up most of them.
Yep. I fear the day that our New Day breaks up.

Fox318

Don't worry we are wonderful here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ylgPG1LgM

Aiii

So not worth it

Rey Mysterio was an established big name when he came into WWE.

There you go.

Had Rey debuted in WWE, he would never have been anything.

JavyOO7

Its all wrong with how Hunico/Sin Cara is portrayed. He doesn't seem like a high flyer but rather a decent brawler. Either way I think he's alright and he had some decent matches with Cesaro and Barrett in Main Event tapings earlier in the year... its not like having good matches with Cesaro/Barrett is hard but he held up his end (matches with those two went 15+ min).

Him and Kalisto should be doing rants on television and be challenging New Day. Those two teams would be great having 2 out of 3 falls matches...

Look at Rey Rey's solid core

663558190.jpg

The shame of Kalisto's mush body

wwe-superstar-kalisto-2.jpg

Maybe when kalisto stop whiffing more kicks than a blind toddler at a taekwondo class he'll break that glass ceiling.

Rey Mysterio was an established big name when he came into WWE.

There you go.

Had Rey debuted in WWE, he would never have been anything.

Kind of impossible to know. Rey is/was an exceptional talent that transcended the cruiserweight division in WCW when no one else did. And he's the only guy from WCW that was immediately treated like a huge star who wasn't already an established main eventer. Bryan got put into the main event of Wrestlemania.

Rey was a much better talent than either Sin Cara and Kalisto. I think he would have had a successful career had he started with WWE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome. The CM Punk fans were terrible and have moved on to being Walking Dead stans so you'll be happier here.

I'll give you a good Punk jiff.

tp3tFk9.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Kind of impossible to know. Rey is/was an exceptional talent that transcended the cruiserweight division in WCW when no one else did. And he's the only guy from WCW that was immediately treated like a huge star who wasn't already an established main eventer. Bryan got put into the main event of Wrestlemania.

Rey was a much better talent than either Sin Cara and Kalisto. I think he would have had a successful career had he started with WWE.

Bryan got reluctantly put into the main event of Mania, after CM Punk quit, had that never happened, neither would have Bryan's spot.

Also, The Miz once main evented Mania.

Outside of Rey, I can't think of a single small guy that ever got a fair shot in WWE (and even Rey kind of got his shot due to Eddie's passing). I remain unconvinced a small guy will ever get a fair shot in WWE as long as Vinny Mac is running things, guy just doesn't see a main event guy when he sees a smaller wrestler.

¡HarlequinPanic!;176787175 said:
you just know the dude was probably feelin' good about himself as he was saying that stuff to his GF too~

"Showed those fuckers"

Yup, really showed that GF of his how much of a dick he can be. Love that he keeps claiming it was a moment of rage, too. Nah fam, that shit was calculated

Not only did he main event Mania, he did it with a fucking ton of momentum and juice. That was crazy peak Miz shit

Bryan got reluctantly put into the main event of Mania, after CM Punk quit, had that never happened, neither would have Bryan's spot.

Outside of Rey, I can't think of a single small guy that ever got a fair shot in WWE (and even Rey kind of got his shot due to Eddie's passing). I remain unconvinced a small guy will ever get a fair shot in WWE as long as Vinny Mac is running things, guy just doesn't see a main event guy when he sees a smaller wrestler.

I guess it depends on your definition of small, because Bret and HBK were considered small at the time they were champions, as was Macho in the 80s. It's probably true that Bryan only got his WM main event due to Punk leaving, but it's not like Bryan wasn't a featured guy that had already headlined PPVs as champion before.

Even if Bryan never had his WM moment, it would be silly to say he didn't have a successful career in WWE, and he's pretty small. The exceptional talents always rise, in any era. And the size of wrestlers has dwindled for years. This is an era where Roman Reigns is considered a big man, despite being smaller than Billy Gunn, who would have been laughed at in the 80s.

klonere

Banned
Network archives are working and I'm two episodes in to Nitro 96 (post Hall angle).

MVP so far is Regal - best matches, best promos, best look, best heel.

Its going to be a hell of a first show. The enjoyment of watching live is 80% crowd / atmosphere 20% Matches. The best show ive ever been to was at the Izod Raw after wrestlemania, and somehow it seemed like that crowd was mainly filled with English people, so im sure NXT london will be ace. Just remember to get a bit of a buzz on before the show and chant like crazy ;)

I guess it depends on your definition of small, because Bret and HBK were considered small at the time they were champions, as was Macho in the 80s. It's probably true that Bryan only got his WM main event due to Punk leaving, but it's not like Bryan wasn't a featured guy that had already headlined PPVs as champion before.

Even if Bryan never had his WM moment, it would be silly to say he didn't have a successful career in WWE, and he's pretty small. The exceptional talents always rise, in any era. And the size of wrestlers has dwindled for years. This is an era where Roman Reigns is considered a big man, despite being smaller than Billy Gunn, who would have been laughed at in the 80s.

I agree with this. Vince still likes big guys, but the idea that "you gotta be big to be a main eventer" hasn't really held water for a while. WWE's problem is with making and retaining new stars, period, not so much with the size of those stars.

RP912

Banned
I'm sorry, that Athena finisher has to be one of the dumbest finishers...scratch that...moves I've seen in awhile. Not only is it highly telegraphed, but your opponent has to stand there like a dope staring at you while you go for it. This is yet another example of style over effect. I have no reason to believe that a standard Stunner will do less 'damage'.

It's no different from dudes holding each other up for a suicide dive, a wrestler looking like an idiot waiting for a axe handle, dude laying down "unconscious" waiting for an elbow drop. The move maybe indy as hell, but it's effective compared to the other no sell garbage that come out of indy wrestling.

Top Bottom